Please stop hating Google, they only spy on us to improve our experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infamy79

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand what problem arises if Google stole your data.
Do they robbed your bank?
Do Google share your info with your family or friends or your relatives?

I still don't know what exactly your fear
Is?
I don't want a company to be indexing all my emails, files and internet browsing to build a profile on me so they can provide me advertising.
Their terms of service are scary and pretty much allow them to do whatever they want with the data that goes through their services.

You can change what stuff Google has access to and privatize your data. I don't know why people keep saying they just steal stuff, they don't. They have data to whatever YOU give them. That "Google steals all my data" line is now old and a lie.
If I use Gmail, how do I stop them from indexing my emails? Answer, you can't
If I use Chrome, how do I stop them from indexing my search? Answer, you can't
If I use Drive, how do I stop them from indexing the content of my files? Answer, you can't
The only way to not let Google index my information for their own purposes is to not use their services, so I don't

Mining implies they work for it, and try to discover it. They don't at all, as it's directly given to them. Why do you think Microsoft is doing Bing rewards? Only to get you to switch? Do you think they're not keeping that data as well?
Bing may be indexing search history through Bing for ads, but their T&Cs don't allow them to do this through your email, Cortana, files on OneDrive like Google do.

Microsoft didn't do things on this level, but if you want to talk about "blatently stole", Steve Jobs bought the rights to the mouse from IBM. Gates, although he's now a good guy, basically copied the whole idea. That's stealing ideas. Google super innovated search. Yahoo, Lycos, and others had rudimentary data, and Yahoo was even trying to just fit the whole internet into categories. Google went the other way and indexed everything. Not something that was being done then. So I don't know how they "stole".
It was Xerox who had the original pointer driven Operating System and both Apple & Microsoft "took inspiration" from that, either way, that's back in the 80s and doesn't justify what Google is doing just because its been done in the past. I give credit to Google for revolutionising internet searching, but I don't like the way they STOLE (this is proven) to build Android and then give it away for free to avoid getting punished for it. A recent supreme court ruling shows that there are over 200 patents that are infringed by Android. I also don't like the way they are using their market strength to limit Microsoft users from using Google services.

"Facebook may also use your personal data to provide you with advertising, but that is only the information you have chosen to give them when you share your information on Facebook. They don't go through all your emails, files or internet browsing history like Google does." tell me one thing Google has about you that you haven't given them? I had the Facebook app on my phone a few years ago, and called a neighbor of my grandmother a few times to fix her PC. She was never a contact. Guess who I see in my "people you may know" thing? That's creepy and data-miningish. You can also turn off Web History in Google, and download all your data from them whenever you wish. I tried doing that 2-3 years ago when I deleted my Facebook, they said they'd email it to me. I'm still waiting on that email.

Also, Facebook doesn't go through your emails because they can't yet. Why do you think they "accidently" changed everyone's contact email to their Facebook one a while ago? Why do you think they made Facebook Home? Do you think they don't send any data that they get through that back to HQ? Facebook is more evil imho as they sell your name on the data. Google just says "we have X number of people who searched for Y, lets start the bidding on Y at $Z". Facebook says "We have data on X number of people, we'll sell it for $0.0Z."
Facebook may have tried to do it, but it didn't work, Google are very active in the way they are doing that with their half a billion accounts. At the end of the day you can choose to use a company's services or not, I have never seen anything like you suggest with call history affecting People you may Know results in Facebook and I'd suggest it was just that they knew someone that you knew or that you lived close to each other. If Facebook were ever found to be doing those things then it would risk their entire user base, we already know what Google is doing and by your same logic, we have no idea what they aren't doing as their T&Cs allow them to do pretty much anything with the data on their servers.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
They don't data mine. I thought you were knowledgeable, and you can google or bing the info. Stop guessing.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

BS.....

Here is what you said....

Which is it...are you either a liar or just a Google troll who can't remember what they said....

Mac

bobbob1016

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
What difference does it make? They all do it. It's just that Google is the best at it.

The NSA will get your data one way or another.

Yes it did...you stated that they didn't after I posted they did indeed,and you stated something about my knowledge lacking in the subject....remember....so ..whose knowledge is lacking on all of this...not mine.

Now just as I suspected you would,are trying to downplay your ignorance in this...

You choose to slight others here,and have little to no knowledge of this..bad choice.

When any company who makes their goal to know everything about you or me and sells this data to others without hesitation...is not a company to be called trustworthy.

When you or others defend Google's actions as benign just shows how gullible you are. They are stealing data because what they are doing isn't being shown for what it actually is and how it is acquired by unsuspecting individuals If people really understood all of this,the uproar would shake the world.

People like you who defend their or any other companies data mining are just as responsible for spreading falsehoods and aiding the companies doing this.

It may be legal what they are doing right now,but it won't always be so.

Mac

I'm the one who said they don't data mine. I guess there are different definitions. I took data mining as "they take data I *don't* give them", the links provided say that they "mine" with web-crawlers. In that case, Microsoft "mines" your data a lot more than Google. I mean, they index/crawl all of your hard drives. Google *had* something similar, but they discontinued it 5ish years ago.

You seem to have taken this personally. I just don't like mis/dis-information about anything really. The real thing here is that you have yet to prove, factually, that Google sells my data, not setting bids for an anonymous number of people searched for "best dentist in NYC". That is what I'm calling in to question, and calling people out on. That is what I'm thinking of as "crazy/juvenile" to be honest.

Simply saying "you've been mis/dis-inform-ed/ing", here's proof as to why, or "this is the pot calling the kettle black, as Microsoft does the same things", is not personally attacking someone's intelligence. I never said "hahahaha how could you think this? Only a 2 year old would!" nor anything like that.

Really, I would say the only one who seems to be talking down to people here is you. "When you or others defend Google's actions as benign just shows how gullible you are." So, anyone who doesn't agree with you must be a moron/gullible? Huh, this comes to mind:
h58BC90C6

(I guess you could call that personal, but I'm responding here, not that it's much better though)

Again, you're saying what you think/believe as fact. I want a link showing that Google sold that I, bobbob1016 searched for "best dentist in NYC", vs "we have X number of people searching for 'best dentist in NYC' lets start the bidding."

Also, do you think Microsoft is not giving anything to the NSA? I mean, they have the keys to Bitlocker, what else wouldn't they have access to?

Last edited:

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm the one who said they don't data mine. I guess there are different definitions. I took data mining as "they take data I *don't* give them", the links provided say that they "mine" with web-crawlers. In that case, Microsoft "mines" your data a lot more than Google. I mean, they index/crawl all of your hard drives. Google *had* something similar, but they discontinued it 5ish years ago.

You seem to have taken this personally. I just don't like mis/dis-information about anything really. The real thing here is that you have yet to prove, factually, that Google sells my data, not setting bids for an anonymous number of people searched for "best dentist in NYC". That is what I'm calling in to question, and calling people out on. That is what I'm thinking of as "crazy/juvenile" to be honest.

Simply saying "you've been mis/dis-inform-ed/ing", here's proof as to why, or "this is the pot calling the kettle black, as Microsoft does the same things", is not personally attacking someone's intelligence. I never said "hahahaha how could you think this? Only a 2 year old would!" nor anything like that.

Really, I would say the only one who seems to be talking down to people here is you. "When you or others defend Google's actions as benign just shows how gullible you are." So, anyone who doesn't agree with you must be a moron/gullible? Huh, this comes to mind:
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/3883327488/h58BC90C6/ (I guess you could call that personal, but I'm responding here, not that it's much better though)

Again, you're saying what you think/believe as fact. I want a link showing that Google sold that I, bobbob1016 searched for "best dentist in NYC", vs "we have X number of people searching for 'best dentist in NYC' lets start the bidding."

I understood what you meant bro...I wasn't meaning you in this,but as a direct response to my being quoted

The difference is Microsoft isn't selling my data...Google does and has based their entire business model on data mining,and selling that data to the highest bidder in their auctions

You should also note I said any company that does this is not trustworthy

Mac

bobbob1016

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't want a company to be indexing all my emails, files and internet browsing to build a profile on me so they can provide me advertising.
Their terms of service are scary and pretty much allow them to do whatever they want with the data that goes through their services.

If I use Drive, how do I stop them from indexing the content of my files? Answer, you can't
The only way to not let Google index my information for their own purposes is to not use their services, so I don't

Bing may be indexing search history through Bing for ads, but their T&Cs don't allow them to do this through your email, Cortana, files on OneDrive like Google do.

It was Xerox who had the original pointer driven Operating System and both Apple & Microsoft "took inspiration" from that, either way, that's back in the 80s and doesn't justify what Google is doing just because its been done in the past. I give credit to Google for revolutionising internet searching, but I don't like the way they STOLE (this is proven) to build Android and then give it away for free to avoid getting punished for it. A recent supreme court ruling shows that there are over 200 patents that are infringed by Android. I also don't like the way they are using their market strength to limit Microsoft users from using Google services.

Facebook may have tried to do it, but it didn't work, Google are very active in the way they are doing that with their half a billion accounts. At the end of the day you can choose to use a company's services or not, I have never seen anything like you suggest with call history affecting People you may Know results in Facebook and I'd suggest it was just that they knew someone that you knew or that you lived close to each other. If Facebook were ever found to be doing those things then it would risk their entire user base, we already know what Google is doing and by your same logic, we have no idea what they aren't doing as their T&Cs allow them to do pretty much anything with the data on their servers.

So, can you search your mail on Outlook.com? Sounds like an index... Maybe not doing a "Google" with it, but you don't *know* that they aren't.

"If I use Gmail, how do I stop them from indexing my emails? Answer, you can't
The only way to not let Google index my information for their own purposes is to not use their services, so I don't"
That's our point.

"Bing may be indexing search history through Bing for ads, but their T&Cs don't allow them to do this through your email, Cortana, files on OneDrive like Google do."
Did that stop them from opening a *former* employee's emails? This even proves they can do it somewhat easily.

I may have said IBM made the mouse, I meant Xerox, my bad, it was early. However, Apple licensed the Mouse from Xerox, see "History":
Apple Mouse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Software patents are 99.99999% of the time insane. How can Apple patent "Slide to Unlock" when the Neonode N1 (or something like it) was already in homes when the iPhone was sold? So if someone claims a software patent, I almost always dismiss it.
"This is proven" can you give me a link (from a decent site, not some site that gets 20 visitors a month)? They bought Android, and, just FYI, it's based on Linux, which is mostly open source, and free to use.
Can't find a number of infringements for Microsoft, but here's an example of insane Software Patents:
Patent troll claims it invented the Windows 8 and Windows Phone “tiles” | Ars Technica

"I have never seen anything like you suggest with call history affecting People you may Know results in Facebook and I'd suggest it was just that they knew someone that you knew or that you lived close to each other." doesn't really live close to me, isn't in my contacts, no link from her to me, apart from that. My grandmother doesn't have a computer, let alone Facebook, and no friends in common with this lady. I can't prove this to you, but I know what I saw.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
The bottom line is either become more knowledgeable or suffer the consequences.

One last thing for me about all of this.

No company is immune from the wrath of knowledgeable consumers.....and as long as folks defend these companies infringement on our rights to privacy,it will continue.

Mac

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Children, I want you to pick up your toys and go to your rooms.

Guys, I learned a long time ago that nature's a mother, you don't get something for nothing. Those who want to use Google's services can't expect it to be truly "free". They just don't tell you what the price really is. I could very easily remove Google's name from my previous sentence and insert Yahoo, Bing or any other service provider. They tell you they will "anonymously" gather your data and will never, never, ever share it - except their "partners". Who are these "partners" and where are their TOS for me to peruse? What kind of data will be collected?

Don't guess, I want information on company letterhead. I doubt anybody can get me the information I'm requesting.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

More than half of the stuff besides Gmail (Drive they don't scan) can be opt out. At least attempt to research points. You can disable search history.

You want the truth? Microsoft goes through OneDrive and will delete anything that violated their terms if services, Microsoft also gives you ads in outlook.

It's like you want to hate Google. Then you say android is a stolen idea, well they bought Android the company YEARS ago so if something is stolen or infringing wouldn't it have come out by now?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
BS.....

Here is what you said....

Which is it...are you either a liar or just a Google troll who can't remember what they said....

Mac

Lol me a troll? I have no reason to lie on a internet forum. That's funny.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I understood what you meant bro...I wasn't meaning you in this,but as a direct response to my being quoted

The difference is Microsoft isn't selling my data...Google does and has based their entire business model on data mining,and selling that data to the highest bidder in their auctions

You should also note I said any company that does this is not trustworthy

Mac

They don't sell your data? Like the 1000th time I have said it. Do you want to ignore facts or something?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
So they don't even charge the NSA for access to our data? :)

Microsoft, Amazon, Apple and Google were paid by the government for the "inconvenience" by the NSA. But that does not equate to the previous point of then selling data to the highest bidder.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Lol me a troll? I have no reason to lie on a internet forum. That's funny.

Ok...you're just a liar then.

They sell your data moron,that's how they make 96% of their income.

This is a fact that is undeniable to continue to say they don't receive income from their data mining of everyone who uses their services is a lie.

Mac

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

This is a fact that is undeniable to continue to say they don't receive income from their data mining of everyone who uses their services is a lie.

You lied when you claimed you never said they don't data mine..

You were caught in your own bs and won't admit it..so have fun,but your reputation is in the toilet

Mac

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Mac

They don't sell data. Your astute insight aside, I will not change my answer to these false claims.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Lol. It seems you are taking this personal. Relax. In all reality neither company Microsoft or Google don't give a damn about us besides making sure they keep making money off of us.

Never take a internet conversation to heart, not good for your health.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Mac

Lighten up, Francis.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Why,is there something about the truth you have issues with,or is your preference just to see someone doing this,and then say nothing?

BTW...it's Mac

Obviously you've never seen Stripes but I don't know your age. What I do have a problem with is you calling people liars and morons. You gotta problem with that tough guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077