Please stop hating Google, they only spy on us to improve our experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I like Apple, I like Microsoft, I do not trust Google, thou this won't stop me from using there products.

Apple and Microsoft both make great software, and now great hardware. We use both companies products (50%) in our household.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Infamy79

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
So, can you search your mail on Outlook.com? Sounds like an index... Maybe not doing a "Google" with it, but you don't *know* that they aren't.
Oh come on, there is a very big difference between creating a search index and indexing your files/emails for targeted advertising, is that really the best you've got?

"If I use Gmail, how do I stop them from indexing my emails? Answer, you can't
If I use Chrome, how do I stop them from indexing my search? Answer, you can't
If I use Drive, how do I stop them from indexing the content of my files? Answer, you can't
The only way to not let Google index my information for their own purposes is to not use their services, so I don't"
That's our point.
Your point is what? Don't use Google? You'll find most here don't use them for email given we are in the Microsoft ecosystem. This thread was about "Please stop hating google" not "Please stop using Google"

"Bing may be indexing search history through Bing for ads, but their T&Cs don't allow them to do this through your email, Cortana, files on OneDrive like Google do."
Did that stop them from opening a *former* employee's emails? This even proves they can do it somewhat easily.
A single case involving a Microsoft person breaking the law, they operated within their T&Cs at the time but have since changed their T&Cs to require a court order to proceed first

I may have said IBM made the mouse, I meant Xerox, my bad, it was early. However, Apple licensed the Mouse from Xerox, see "History":
Apple Mouse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Licensing the mouse and building the Operating System are completely different ideas. It was Windows and partnering with OEMs that made Microsoft, not the mouse.

Software patents are 99.99999% of the time insane. How can Apple patent "Slide to Unlock" when the Neonode N1 (or something like it) was already in homes when the iPhone was sold? So if someone claims a software patent, I almost always dismiss it.
"This is proven" can you give me a link (from a decent site, not some site that gets 20 visitors a month)? They bought Android, and, just FYI, it's based on Linux, which is mostly open source, and free to use.
Can't find a number of infringements for Microsoft, but here's an example of insane Software Patents:
Patent troll claims it invented the Windows 8 and Windows Phone “tiles” | Ars Technica
The biggest proof that Android is build on stolen technology is the 70% of Android OEMs that have had to sign patent licensing deals to continue building Android handsets. I was wrong, it wasn't a supreme court finding, but the Chinese Ministry of Commerce that said when Microsoft bought Nokia that there are 200 patent families that the Android OEMs were worried Microsoft would over charge for if they purchased Nokia. China finally gives the green light for Nokia-Microsoft devices unit sale | ZDNet
This is a government regulatory body that has recognised this and the OEMs are willingly paying for on behalf of them using a "free" Android. It is irrelevant if it is built on Linux and is free to use when it is built on tech that someone else invented. I don't care if you think software patents are insane, most of this is core communications technology that companies spent millions in R&D building and to just disregard that is what is insane.
Also lets not get started on Google's policy that if an OEM builds a AOSP Android handset, they are completely banned from manufacturing a Google Play handset for any other vendor. Google may act all high and mighty about using free open source software, but they have no problem in strong arming anyone who dares to leverage the actual open source component of it.

"I have never seen anything like you suggest with call history affecting People you may Know results in Facebook and I'd suggest it was just that they knew someone that you knew or that you lived close to each other." doesn't really live close to me, isn't in my contacts, no link from her to me, apart from that. My grandmother doesn't have a computer, let alone Facebook, and no friends in common with this lady. I can't prove this to you, but I know what I saw.
This is just anecdotal, and if you are making me go and find sources about from pages that have more than 20 views then you'll need to come up with more than that.

Infamy79

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
More than half of the stuff besides Gmail (Drive they don't scan) can be opt out. At least attempt to research points. You can disable search history.
Absolute bullcrap. Here is the relevant passage from Google Drive T&Cs
"Your Content in our Services: When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide licence to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes that we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.
The rights that you grant in this licence are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This licence continues even if you stop using our Services (for example, for a business listing that you have added to Google Maps)."

You want the truth? Microsoft goes through OneDrive and will delete anything that violated their terms if services, Microsoft also gives you ads in outlook.
Source? I cannot find anything that suggests this is true
Microsoft does have very few ads in Outlook.com, but they are not based on your email content like Gmail does, BIG difference

It's like you want to hate Google. Then you say android is a stolen idea, well they bought Android the company YEARS ago so if something is stolen or infringing wouldn't it have come out by now?
What rock have you been living under? 70% or more of Android OEMs have to pay patent licensing fees based on the stolen technology inside Android. The Chinese Ministry of Commerce during its investigation of Microsoft purchasing Nokia that there are 200 patent families that are required to build an Android handset. It doesn't matter if it was purchased from somewhere else originally, Google gave it away to the mass market. Does that mean that if I rob a bank and give all the money away for free that it is ok to steal the money in the first place?

Infamy79

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
You mean after Microsoft refused to fix the app to display ads correctly?
You mean when Google refused to offer an API to serve the ads? Microsoft even added the ads using a reverse engineered API, but it was not location specific due to Google not proving it so they still wanted it taken down.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Absolute bullcrap. Here is the relevant passage from Google Drive T&Cs
"Your Content in our Services: When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide licence to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes that we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.
The rights that you grant in this licence are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This licence continues even if you stop using our Services (for example, for a business listing that you have added to Google Maps)."

Source? I cannot find anything that suggests this is true
Microsoft does have very few ads in Outlook.com, but they are not based on your email content like Gmail does, BIG difference

What rock have you been living under? 70% or more of Android OEMs have to pay patent licensing fees based on the stolen technology inside Android. The Chinese Ministry of Commerce during its investigation of Microsoft purchasing Nokia that there are 200 patent families that are required to build an Android handset. It doesn't matter if it was purchased from somewhere else originally, Google gave it away to the mass market. Does that mean that if I rob a bank and give all the money away for free that it is ok to steal the money in the first place?

I am not going to argue on the Android part because obviously it's a point you want to make that I am not going to go to. But there have been cases of people finding files gone on their OneDrive:

.6. Can Microsoft remove my content from the services?*Yes. We may ask you to remove your content from the services if it violates this agreement or the law. Failure to comply may result in loss of access to, or cancellation of, the services or your Microsoft account. Additionally, Microsoft may remove your content without asking you if we determine it's in violation of this agreement or the law, or if we receive a notice of intellectual property infringement from a third party.

source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/microsoft-services-agreement

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I dont get this idea of having to hate a company to use an alternative.no one is forcing u to buy them!all 3 ecosysytems have their own advantages.believe me I used an ipad for years before getting this wp8 and it was awesome.google spying on users is not a secret.they read ur emails,track ur searches,monitor ur cloud,makes a profile of u and sell it to ad companies.if ur ok with it no problem. Point is nothing comes for free. and how can u blame a company for not making cheap phones?apple always placed themselves as a premium brand and makes good products.and they are not overpriced for the segment they are in.do u blame BMW for not making cars in segments that ford compete? Only point I want to make is all this hate is silly.just get the product u want lol.only thing matters is does it suit ur needs..at the end of day u dont own any of these multinational companies. All they want from users is profit and imo all we should look for is best experience for us too....

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
You want the truth? Microsoft goes through OneDrive and will delete anything that violated their terms if services, Microsoft also gives you ads in outlook.

Microsoft allows you the option to pay for no ads in out look. May not be free, but its still a choice. Also, I have never seen an ad in Outlook (not including hot mail or live) for anything other than Microsoft products or services.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Obviously you've never seen Stripes but I don't know your age. What I do have a problem with is you calling people liars and morons. You gotta problem with that tough guy?

Too Bad

As the old saying goes...when the shoe fits...wear it.

To calling you a moron..perhaps that was uncalled for and so apologize for that aspect,but...if you have a issue with me calling you a liar...take it up with the moderators,just be sure to direct them to your post where you were caught lying about what you did or didn't say..

Mac

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft allows you the option to pay for no ads in out look. May not be free, but its still a choice. Also, I have never seen an ad in Outlook (not including hot mail or live) for anything other than Microsoft products or services.

My point is, Microsoft does the same things as Google. It's just that people in this forum feel they trust Microsoft more. Which is fine. I am not here to make anyone use Google Services even though, that's what some feel like that what I am doing.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Too Bad

As the old saying goes...when the shoe fits...wear it.

To calling you a moron..perhaps that was uncalled for and so apologize for that aspect,but...if you have a issue with me calling you a liar...take it up with the moderators,just be sure to direct them to your post where you were caught lying about what you did or didn't say..

Mac

Lying and being wrong are two different things. If someone is wrong you point it out. But to just call someone a liar is still not the best idea.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Lying and being wrong are two different things. If someone is wrong you point it out. But to just call someone a liar is still not the best idea.

I just didn't do this for s&g's....you were shown by your own post that you lied and you still act like you didn't...I presented the facts from Google and you still can't believe this.

The problem is with you on this,not me. In your haste to pimp for Google,you can't keep your facts straight,and have 0 understanding of their business practices or revenue stream from them.

I'm done having to correct your continuous misrepresentation of the truth to further benefit Google's agenda I feel it's best to allow the moderators to handle this type of behavior from now on and apologize to the OP for the degeneration of this thread.

Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99