06-16-2014 12:12 PM
26 12
tools
    Across all platforms who in your opinion makes the best or most reliable smartphone today in terms of hardware build?

Please add your favorite in the discussion.
    05-28-2014 11:49 AM
    I will be very honest here both Samsung and Microsoft (ex nokia ) are using the latest SoC (Lumia 1520, galaxy s5 ) But when it comes to build quality do I have to say ? Lumia are know for best build quality , windows phone is very well optimized for all hardware where as android is a resource hog. I need the latest hardware on my phone but I can not change phone every year so I opted for windows phone and Lumia 920 is still working like charm. My friends laugh when they hear its a dual core phone but they have to see when it comes to overall OS performance on a dual core processor
    05-28-2014 11:55 AM
    I've always felt that Sony phones were #1
    Nokia has in the past at least made some bulletproof hardware.
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    05-28-2014 12:29 PM
    If we're only talking hardware, I believe BlackBerry makes the finest hardware with the best fit and finish so they'd be 1a. I would rate the iPhone as 1b.
    05-28-2014 02:47 PM
    I think LG might have that crown now with this new G3 phone.
    05-28-2014 06:01 PM
    Sony ftw!
    05-28-2014 07:17 PM
    I hold Apple as the best fit-and-finish.
    Nokia for the best design and sturdy build and feel although not the most svelte.
    Samsung for the raw horsepower and bells-and-whistles.

HTC would fit in there somewhere...
    Can't forget Motorola, but I'm not overly familiar with them firsthand.
    05-28-2014 09:32 PM
    Apple has the best total package. HTC makes the most stylish.

Nokia and Sony makes some great devices as well when it comes to fit and finish.

LG and Samsung make cheap plastic phones. (thou the insides are top of the line) the outside to me make them feel cheap.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    xandros9 and Guytronic like this.
    05-28-2014 09:39 PM
    There are a few...
    Apple is the refinement of tech, sometimes first, sometimes not, but always works with ease... they don't release something until it WORKS
    Nokia still make arguably the toughest (without buying a tough phone like the CAT) phones going, also camera's = Incredaballs
    Samsung pushes internal hardware the most, except the camera... LG I this is the other side of the Samsung coin though only of recent in the phone world

I need to say Sony because they have picked back up their game with some nice stuff and HTC because they constantly have good hardware and get no-where with it

If you are spending 500-700 (depending where your from) on a factory unlocked no contract phone, as in top end phone, you really cant go wrong... 5, 6 years into this smartphone war... everyone has cemented their design style, have found fans and as they get better and more companies pop up i'd say Samsung will loose some ground as will Apple... Apple are on their 7th generation handset, Samsung are on the 5th gen, Lumia (as I am calling the company for now) are on the 3rd.... just about, HTC are on their 2nd, LG just just dropped a hammer of a 3rd gen, Sony are on their 3rd... To be fair they are all good just to different people... I wish there was a Z2 WP, that monolith would look great with monochrome, I also want a high res LG WP Flex 8.1 .... just yes....

Last point, I think part of Apples' success is "the small phone" idea... if Samsung or HTC or anyone were to bring out a small version of each... not this cut back crap... Same spec, all of it... just one has a 5.5 and the other is 4.2 or even 5 and 4... Have it 1080p, tune the processor back from 1.7 to 1.4 for battery, not change the chip, same storage, same ram, same camera, same price, maybe 50 cheaper... Apple's business would get destroyed except for the fact they are now making a large phone...
    xandros9 and Guytronic like this.
    05-28-2014 10:46 PM
    Never had an iPhone so can't comment on them. Otherwise, I think Nokia makes the best of the units I've used. Next is Motorola and that goes back a few years. Played with the Motorola X a couple of times and it feels like a quality build.
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-29-2014 06:12 AM
    first of all, I have not used apple and blackberry among the popular brands, so shouldn't comment on that. Out of the rest, nokia is THE best hardware maker in my experience.. longetivity should be a top priority as not everybody upgrades his/her handset every year. but considering looks, sony makes some real beauties.. but personal experience says those are fragile.
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-29-2014 06:38 AM
    I'm for Nokia, altough Iphone and htc make some good phones too. Display- I'll pick Nokia. For everything else I don't have a good view.
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-29-2014 07:04 AM
    Motorola. The Moto X us a phone you have to feel in your hand to see how wonderfully built it is. The curve and the dimple and the way anyone can use it one hand is the best.

Best phone I have ever owned. Shame I broke it 😔. But I will get a new Moto X when I get a chance to.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Guytronic and gleneston like this.
    05-29-2014 07:42 AM
    I believe it's either Nokia or Motorola. Sadly, both of them had been bought.
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-29-2014 09:04 AM
    I only want to address build quality. Because in terms of hardware features and specs, Nokia is pretty awesome.

But is it just me or is the build quality of Nokia not really up to snuff? I've had Lumia 900, 920, and 1020, and my 900 had a creaky body and light from the capacitive buttons would leak into the screen. Also, the vibrate would rattle after a few weeks. Like that's basic stuff that should not have been in production release. Same with the 920, dust in the front facing camera even after replacing the phone 4 times, each one would get the issue over and over again. (Known issue that was never really fixed) My friends bought Lumia 928's on my suggestion and both of them have issues with freezing and the speaker not working when making calls.(also known issue with no fix by Nokia)

On the other hand my 1020 has been solid. Not a single issue in the last 6 months!

It seems like Nokia build quality tanked once they started mass producing phones in China instead of Finland like the old days. In terms of build quality, I think Apple devices have the lowest percentage rate of defective devices while Nokia unfortuntaly seems to be pretty high :/ I hope Microsoft now has the opportunity to infuse some of the Surface build quality into the Nokia/phone line because Surface build quality is awesome. Never had issues.
    Guytronic likes this.
    06-03-2014 07:34 PM
    I only want to address build quality. Because in terms of hardware features and specs, Nokia is pretty awesome.

But is it just me or is the build quality of Nokia not really up to snuff? I've had Lumia 900, 920, and 1020, and my 900 had a creaky body and light from the capacitive buttons would leak into the screen. Also, the vibrate would rattle after a few weeks. Like that's basic stuff that should not have been in production release. Same with the 920, dust in the front facing camera even after replacing the phone 4 times, each one would get the issue over and over again. (Known issue that was never really fixed) My friends bought Lumia 928's on my suggestion and both of them have issues with freezing and the speaker not working when making calls.(also known issue with no fix by Nokia)

On the other hand my 1020 has been solid. Not a single issue in the last 6 months!

It seems like Nokia build quality tanked once they started mass producing phones in China instead of Finland like the old days. In terms of build quality, I think Apple devices have the lowest percentage rate of defective devices while Nokia unfortuntaly seems to be pretty high :/ I hope Microsoft now has the opportunity to infuse some of the Surface build quality into the Nokia/phone line because Surface build quality is awesome. Never had issues.
    Well if your not counting iPhone screens maybe. As far as Nokia I have a 920 and wife has 1020 (and she is really hard on phones) and each one has been rock solid. No creaks, no light leaks, feels as bulletproof today as when I bought it 1.5 years ago.
    Guytronic likes this.
    06-03-2014 07:49 PM
    My daughter had an iPhone4 and it worked fine for a couple of years before acting weird. She switched to a Galaxy Note II over a year ago and it works fine. She really likes her GN-II and has no interest in AAPL products. All her friends have iPhones (most have cracked screens).

My wife has a Nokia 920 and the first one had to be replaced in less than a month. The replacement has worked fine for over 1.5 years. She dropped it for the first time a few weeks ago and that only mangled one corner (thankfully!). I guess there's something to be said about it being made like a tank...

I have an HTC 8X and it has worked fine for almost 1.5 years. I really like its feel in the hand. If HTC came out with a 5" or 5.5" version I would definitely get it.

Note: if APPL comes out with 4.7 and 5.5" phones then I think they'll sweep the floor with Samsung.
    Guytronic and Karthik Naik like this.
    06-03-2014 07:55 PM
    Well if your not counting iPhone screens maybe. As far as Nokia I have a 920 and wife has 1020 (and she is really hard on phones) and each one has been rock solid. No creaks, no light leaks, feels as bulletproof today as when I bought it 1.5 years ago.
    Your 920 never developed dust in the front facing camera? And yes I meant percentage, not number of screens haha. I'll bet number of defective iphones would be higher that of nokia phones because the number of iphones in production is way higher than Nokia phones haha.
    Guytronic likes this.
    06-03-2014 07:56 PM
    I dislike apple and iPhones BUT hands down apple... IPhones hardware quality just feels premium. (still wouldn't use one as my main driver lol)
    06-03-2014 08:01 PM
    HTC is horrid after the rushed design flawed 8X. After the escalation team told me the blue stained soft coating was normal after 3 days and that phones should never be carried in pockets and always should have a case over them.
    06-03-2014 08:03 PM
    IPhone is a phone with cutting edge styling and quality feel. It is the highest in "status" of all phones. Has the highest resale and most in demand worldwide.

Android phones are the numerous and comes in many models and price ranges.

Windows Phone 8 has the most efficient OS. Hardware is about a year behind the other two competitors and is sold in the U.S. on carrier exclusivity basic. To bad that carrier reps just continue to cross sell potential WP8 buyers into either Galaxy S5s or iPhone 5S. WP8 models are located either at the rear of the store or even kept hidden in the stock room and only brought out if the buyer ask to buy it!

That why U.S WP remains flat compare the rest of the world.

Sent from my iPod touch using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    Last edited by Harry Wild; 06-08-2014 at 02:20 AM.
    06-07-2014 01:00 AM
    If we're only talking hardware, I believe BlackBerry makes the finest hardware with the best fit .
    true but sadly their batteries always failed for me and stopped working within 6 months always otherwise excellent devices
    06-16-2014 08:55 AM
    I dislike apple and iPhones BUT hands down apple... IPhones hardware quality just feels premium. (still wouldn't use one as my main driver lol)
    though recently all their devices have issues with the home button or power button which is guaranteed to break,i love apple but i avoid buying the iphone 5 onward devices because of this
    06-16-2014 09:05 AM
    so far nokia and lenovo have the best build quality overall followed by apple and extreme last place samsung for me atleast
    06-16-2014 09:07 AM
    I think Nokia. I have owned a Lumia 920 for about a year and a half now, and the amount of abuse this phone has stood up to is astounding. It has been reliable and continues to perform well, day in and day out.

I owned a Samsung Focus for a similar amount of time, and by now, I was starting to deal with hardware issues, like the power button starting to wear out. Apple phones are known for fit and finish, but I truly don't think their hardware is as good, mainly do to their relative fragility. I can't speak on behalf of Motorola, Sony, HTC or Lenovo, because I haven't used one long term, or seen first-hand, these phones in use for a long period of time.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    06-16-2014 09:16 AM
26 12