Skies the limit for WP

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I find it a little premature that people are dissatisfied by the progress of WP. Lets face it, where was iOS and Android after four years? The market was completely different back then. I think the next few years will really tell what WP can become. They provide a more stable and safer OS than Android and at a cheaper price than iOS. They're market share is competing with Android in many countries and even ahead of Apple in others. This is at a time when MSFT is finally realizing that WP can be used not just for a purely Mobil experience but as a link to a much broader server, gaming experience. They are predicted to take away market share from Apple in the coming years and grow in popularity in the hottest markets like Asia, while continuing to grow in Europe. 4% may seem miniscule, but there is a bigger underlying theme, and while Android is safe, Apple needs to watch their back.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I find it a little premature that people are dissatisfied by the progress of WP. Lets face it, where was iOS and Android after four years? The market was completely different back then. I think the next few years will really tell what WP can become. They provide a more stable and safer OS than Android and at a cheaper price than iOS. They're market share is competing with Android in many countries and even ahead of Apple in others. This is at a time when MSFT is finally realizing that WP can be used not just for a purely Mobil experience but as a link to a much broader server, gaming experience. They are predicted to take away market share from Apple in the coming years and grow in popularity in the hottest markets like Asia, while continuing to grow in Europe. 4% may seem miniscule, but there is a bigger underlying theme, and while Android is safe, Apple needs to watch their back.

It's just because there was no pressure to catch-up as much when iOS and Android were starting out. If WP had started out at the same time with the same level of progression WP would've been miles ahead ages ago.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
After 4 years (2012), Android had over 50% of the smartphone market and iOS had almost 30% in 2011. Windows phone 8 (because let's be honest, WP didn't really grow until WP8) came at a time when the market was starting to be saturated and maturing. So growth is expected to be slow. I also am trying to understand why is no one holding Microsoft/Nokia accountable for lackluster marketing? I hope when Windows Phone 8.1 goes OTA, there is a new marketing blitz to get some more buyers for the back to school and holiday shopping crowd.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
It's just because there was no pressure to catch-up as much when iOS and Android were starting out. If WP had started out at the same time with the same level of progression WP would've been miles ahead ages ago.

I can't even say that with certainty. Who knows is the developer support would have been there or the carrier push? Microsoft had quite a few stumbles in mobile during the time Android and iOS came about so I don't think they would have had the same level of support. The Microsoft Kin and Verizon being the worst of it.

SchlepNT

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
With 8.1, there are still a few features that could be added, but they're mostly caught up. The two pressing concerns for Microsoft should be to create a flagship phone that's available on every carrier, and to convince the makers of the top 5% of apps to bring the quality up to the same level as the Android/iOS versions.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
With 8.1, there are still a few features that could be added, but they're mostly caught up. The two pressing concerns for Microsoft should be to create a flagship phone that's available on every carrier, and to convince the makers of the top 5% of apps to bring the quality up to the same level as the Android/iOS versions.

That's the rub. They can't seem to get a flagship device on all carriers for some reason. Every other manufacturer can do it, why can't Nokia?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
That's the rub. They can't seem to get a flagship device on all carriers for some reason. Every other manufacturer can do it, why can't Nokia?

Don't blame Nokia, blame Microsoft, they paid the manufacturers so that they do the advertising themselves (even do they suck)

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Actually blame the carriers. Only AT&T jumped in with both feet when it came to WP8. However Verizon is starting to take notice. OEMs in Asia are facing the same issues. What carriers will sell WP. The good news is with more OEMs it gives consumers more variety, because lets face it, Nokia owns WP right now. You're right about the market having a different dynamic now and Apple still only targeting the top 15% of economic bracket. As for marketing, it only seems to lacking in the US. At least they have WP commercials in other countries. That's been one of MSFTs biggest issues. Hopefully Satya realizes that. Again, even with such a saturated market, there is a window for WP to really establish themselves.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Don't blame Nokia, blame Microsoft, they paid the manufacturers so that they do the advertising themselves (even do they suck)

Nokia owns Windows Phone market share are owned by Microsoft so it is Microsoft's and Nokia's fault for the lackluster advertising.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Actually blame the carriers. Only AT&T jumped in with both feet when it came to WP8. However Verizon is starting to take notice. OEMs in Asia are facing the same issues. What carriers will sell WP. The good news is with more OEMs it gives consumers more variety, because lets face it, Nokia owns WP right now. You're right about the market having a different dynamic now and Apple still only targeting the top 15% of economic bracket. As for marketing, it only seems to lacking in the US. At least they have WP commercials in other countries. That's been one of MSFTs biggest issues. Hopefully Satya realizes that. Again, even with such a saturated market, there is a window for WP to really establish themselves.

Carriers shouldn't have to do all the marketing. The manufacturer has to as well. Otherwise the carrier won't order more stock if it does not sell.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

SchlepNT

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
There hasn't been much to market. Icon and ATIV are both exclusive. Maybe the new low end phones will get a bit of a push. Otherwise they'll wait til the end of the year like always.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
There hasn't been much to market. Icon and ATIV are both exclusive. Maybe the new low end phones will get a bit of a push. Otherwise they'll wait til the end of the year like always.

That is true. But everyone ramps up ads for the fall/back to school and holiday seasons.

edoug

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
WP will stay 3rd for ever! Here in us... Won't get past 4-5% maybe 6%

After 8.1 is rolled I think there will be more adoption. I agree with the other post earlier that 8.1 really delivers an effectively caught up experience. If Microsoft can attract and retain the top titles through that release AND have a handset ready to rally behind, I see no reason why they couldn't grab a 15% share rapidly.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
After 8.1 is rolled I think there will be more adoption. I agree with the other post earlier that 8.1 really delivers an effectively caught up experience. If Microsoft can attract and retain the top titles through that release AND have a handset ready to rally behind, I see no reason why they couldn't grab a 15% share rapidly.

15% is being very optimistic. I say maybe a 2-3 percentage points between now and next year this time. there is still the iPhone 6 that might sway a lot of people. I am interested personally in what it looks like.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
The only way WP can jump ahead the 5% mark is if they can come up with an update that leapfrogs the competition and has some sort of experience that no other operating system has. Whether that be an enticing and unified ecosystem between Windows, WP, and Xbox, or wearable technology, or new phone features, but they have to create an experience that people will want. Playing catch up does not create converts.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
The sky is certainly the limit based on the resources at Microsoft's disposal. Whether it soars or stalls remains to be seen. The first set of post-Nokia purchase phones will be critical.

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I agree...MS has a lot of work ahead of it such as releasing 8.1 officially, wooing developers to make/update their apps, designing a flagship device, making better ads & finally, if they succed in doing all this, try to come up with something totally new & wacky that the other competitors cannot offer... which is very hard & involves a lot of brain storming

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12