Windows phone 8.1 is way better than iOS 8

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Recently I was going through some specs on iOS 8 on that I saw several videos,
All that was really boring,
But the only feature I like is reply our messages through notification banner.
That was awesome.
Other wise everything was just like improvement update...
Guys respect windows phone...

One suggestion for you.
Never judge book by its cover.

All you see some videos and started commenting on that.
I am not a fan of iOS(to be honest I hate Apple) but it's too early to judge iOS 8.
Atleast first gets a hand on iOS 8 and then comment.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm about to rant in this thread. These threads are annoying. If you prefer windows phone that's great, but lets be serious. The issues we are having with WP right now are seriously unacceptable. How can you say that IOS is not as good as WP when all of their first party apps work flawlessly (Xbox music?). Apple releases a new version of their OS and they usually don't completely break their existing apps. I am starting to think this MS apologist thing is real....

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm about to rant in this thread. These threads are annoying. If you prefer windows phone that's great, but lets be serious. The issues we are having with WP right now are seriously unacceptable. How can you say that IOS is not as good as WP when all of their first party apps work flawlessly (Xbox music?). Apple releases a new version of their OS and they usually don't completely break their existing apps. I am starting to think this MS apologist thing is real....

Although I agree with you on some aspects, as you can see in my earlier reply, what you're saying is not completely accurate.

First, Apple did screw up with their iOS updates in the past. Apple Maps and Siri are two quite impressive examples as they were disasters at the beginning and, at the time, Google Maps for iOS did not exist as an app.

Second, not only did Apple screw up software, they screwed up hardware as well! Remember what was called the "Antenna-Gate"?

Third, WP8.1 is not yet released to the general public bar a couple of phones that have it and, of course, devs. So it's bound to have glitches. And although I've been highly critical of the Xbox Music and Xbox Video apps, the OS itself works very well and I have to remind myself of that. I do think we're getting less quality for the moment, yes. But when the OS is released to the general public, what will it be like? We don't know yet! We should just all wait and see before comparing anything.

Also, I've seen no one here fully compare the dev release of iOS 8 with WP8.1. Other than the fact that iOS is more mature and will certainly hold WP up on some aspects because of that, I'm certain that the dev release has its glitches and bugs. That is why they announce the OS months before the public release.

In other words, whilst we're on the dev pathway we can't expect to have the quality of a final release. It's our own fault we installed the dev preview (yes I know it's RTM but not yet publicly released) and thus we must compose with having to use our phones with bumps that still need to be evened out!

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

As previous post suggests, do not put blinders on when citing the flawlessness of iOS. iOS has broken their reception, their maps, their security, and even camera tints before updates. Seriously unacceptable is in the eye of the beholder.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft releases updates for specific apps at a time. That is something I've never seen Apple do the entire time I was with them. If Apple updates one app then it's part of an update for a few things so instead of getting the fix you want you must wait until they compound it and call it a new IOS. What IOS 8 is would have just been a notification update, a keyboard update and a separate messenger update if that was Microsoft... All during the developer preview.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
And as far as better built software... Up until last month when I switched from Apple I had the same email glitch that would cause my entire inbox to disappear. A bug that still never got fixed.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Flawlessly was the wrong word to use but I've been off and on with windows phone since 2011 and its literally been the same song and dance. Apple has absolutely had their mistakes but some of them, like maps, are for business reasons. And apple also wrote an entirely new language plus rolled out their continuity software so IOS 8 was a little bit more than just a keyboard, messenger, and notification update...
MS support of their own platform is sad. Idk why some of you can't be critical of MS, it's maddening. And is 8.1 not rolling out right now with a couple of phones? When you think about that its kind of ridiculous. Would Apple or Google ever release that kind of quality?

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft releases updates for specific apps at a time. That is something I've never seen Apple do the entire time I was with them. If Apple updates one app then it's part of an update for a few things so instead of getting the fix you want you must wait until they compound it.

Dude MS literally just started doing this with WP.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
All the pro iOS folks, does iOS have resizable live tiles? An alphabetical app list? Allow you to pin specific pages in apps and websites to their start screen? A native file explorer? I could go on and on.

I think with 8.1, WP is on par with iOS8. Both have their advantages but neither is clearly ahead of the other.

I think MS has the opportunity with WP9 to advance way past iOS.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Probably because he reads news reports about WP

There has been numerous reports about it.

no there hasn't. There was one video where Microsoft research was showing it in Windows. Not windows phone. And to my knowledge there hasn't been amy good evidence that it is coming.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
All the pro iOS folks, does iOS have resizable live tiles? An alphabetical app list? Allow you to pin specific pages in apps and websites to their start screen? A native file explorer? I could go on and on.

I think with 8.1, WP is on par with iOS8. Both have their advantages but neither is clearly ahead of the other.

I think MS has the opportunity with WP9 to advance way past iOS.

I'm not sure you're understanding my frustration. I'm not pro IOS. But the quality of the product that Microsoft has been pushing out is more of the mantra of ship it first and fix it later. I love the benefits of WP and that's why I have one lol. But your last sentence really sums it up. You're waiting for windows 9 and before that people were waiting for windows 8.
Again, you are coming to Microsoft's defense. Why? They don't pay your bills or put food in your mouth. I'm a customer and I want to have a polished product. And yeah I know no one is forcing me to use a windows phone, but I would actually like to see them succeed. However, at this rate, with 3% in the US they can't be putting out an unpolished product I'm sorry. Hence why I said in my first comment it was a rant.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure you're understanding my frustration. I'm not pro IOS. But the quality of the product that Microsoft has been pushing out is more of the mantra of ship it first and fix it later. I love the benefits of WP and that's why I have one lol. But your last sentence really sums it up. You're waiting for windows 9 and before that people were waiting for windows 8.
Again, you are coming to Microsoft's defense. Why? They don't pay your bills or put food in your mouth. I'm a customer and I want to have a polished product. And yeah I know no one is forcing me to use a windows phone, but I would actually like to see them succeed. However, at this rate, with 3% in the US they can't be putting out an unpolished product I'm sorry. Hence why I said in my first comment it was a rant.

WP8.1 is very solid. Not sure what you mean by ship it first. Most companies are doing that now as an agile process allows for faster rollouts. But also means more room/opportunities for bugs.

I'm not waiting for WP9. Like I said in my post, WP8.1 makes it on par with iOS7 and even 8. WP should make it surpass iOS. That's not waiting, that's advancing.

On one hand you're complaining MS is shipping too fast resulting in buggy or half assed releases. On the otherhand you're complaining they are still "behind" iOS. So how are they supposed to catch up and surpass IOS with that mentality?

I'm sorry but Apple Maps and Antennagate are far bigger ship first fix later debacles than anything MS has done with WP.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
BTW, I'm defending Microsoft because IMO, this is the first time in 20 years Microsoft is truly innovating and advancing their products. Not to mention they are doing it with great care and attention to design and user experience. Something they've pretty much ignored for almost their entire lifespan.

They aren't perfect, Windows 8 forced too much onto users at once. But they are adjusting and really moving forward in a direction that makes sense.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
As much as I love the WP 8.1 OS we still cannot hold a candle to iOS until bugs like Xbox Music get fixed and truly run smooth again. Windows Phone I will argue though in many ways is superior to Android (performance wise not App wise) when the lag, and viruses are considered. The only gripe with iOS is if's customization and utilities, Apple holds certain advantages by controlling both their hardware and software but also some disadvantages by way of pricing and product portfolio size.

Windows Phone is the happy medium between two OS extremes: iOS the strict but polished system and Android the more open customization but sometimes problematic security issues. WP kinda gives you a hybrid of both. I'll reserve judgment until the official WP8.1 debuts, but until then iOS remains the most refined and polished OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills