Windows phone 8.1 is way better than iOS 8

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
As much as I love the WP 8.1 OS we still cannot hold a candle to iOS until bugs like Xbox Music get fixed and truly run smooth again. Windows Phone I will argue though in many ways is superior to Android (performance wise not App wise) when the lag, and viruses are considered. The only gripe with iOS is if's customization and utilities, Apple holds certain advantages by controlling both their hardware and software but also some disadvantages by way of pricing and product portfolio size.

Windows Phone is the happy medium between two OS extremes: iOS the strict but polished system and Android the more open customization but sometimes problematic security issues. WP kinda gives you a hybrid of both. I'll reserve judgment until the official WP8.1 debuts, but until then iOS remains the most refined and polished OS.

I'd rather have a bad Xbox music app in progress than constantly have to restart my iPhone because I've lost all my emails or iTunes goes full retard and loses everything and I have to set up my library all over again just to sync my phone.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Here is a sample rant I have toward WP8 as I enjoy all 3 of these ecosystems but I don't fan boy or sugar coat there problems. Here is my rant on WP8 and I do own several WP8 device but as far as being better than iOS 8 or Android right now.........bad news. Like another poster posted it doesn't hold a candle to them right now.

I can go over the pros and cons of all the ecosystems and it doesn't make a difference. MS lacks what the others have to a strong degree but the big thing for me leaving was that MS forsakes it's own ecosystem as far as apps go. I'm not talking about other Devs i'm taking about MS own apps themselves.

It is just ridicules that MS own apps look and function so bad on their own ecosystem. Even Apple & Google don't forsake there own apps made for there own platform. MS just pisses me off when Skype, one note, office to a degree, outlook, xbox music, and others are worlds better on the competitions platform. But your own platform these apps run like plain old **** and have limited functionality at best except for office.

MS just does us WP8 user wrongly with crap like that. Sorry to say like some already have, how is a Dev suppose to take WP8 seriously when MS doesn't put full effort into it themselves. Your apps on your platform are suppose to really outshine the others on your competitors platform, not be a lower priority on your own platform. Why will users change to WP8 if MS own apps are better on the opposing platforms. If it wasn't for BB taking a nose dive to a degree WP8 would be 4th place in my opinion.

I don't even think MS can even cover the ground that the big 2 have now on them. This one big update once a year isn't going to do it either. They need to make the updates smaller and if need be break the WP8 up into smaller pieces that can be updated from the Microsoft store. Even Google learned if you can't force the update issue like apple then break the OS down into update-able apps to get around these carriers and OEM's.

It takes MS to long to figure things out and then they don't even execute right. I don't by the excuse that they are just getting into this as if I recall I had a windows Mobile phone before Apple or Google even entered the smartphone market. It's almost like they learned nothing and they were making smartphones before everyone else did. Like I said I don't think they can make up the difference the other 2 have, and it wouldn't surprise me if BB roars back past MS.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
BTW, I'm defending Microsoft because IMO, this is the first time in 20 years Microsoft is truly innovating and advancing their products. Not to mention they are doing it with great care and attention to design and user experience. Something they've pretty much ignored for almost their entire lifespan.

They aren't perfect, Windows 8 forced too much onto users at once. But they are adjusting and really moving forward in a direction that makes sense.

Maybe so but be careful how you react. It's not because we're not trashing iOS that we're "pro-iOS". WP is not perfect and neither is iOS. They both have their pros and cons. Becoming a ****** is trivial especially since we're not talking about politics, religions or values but a phone! :winktongue:

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
On one hand you're complaining MS is shipping too fast resulting in buggy or half assed releases. On the otherhand you're complaining they are still "behind" iOS. So how are they supposed to catch up and surpass IOS with that mentality?

I'm sorry but Apple Maps and Antennagate are far bigger ship first fix later debacles than anything MS has done with WP.

Again, you are also sounding like an apologist. I'm not saying Microsoft is 'behind'. I have never said that in this thread. What I am saying to you is that the company who has almost next to zero market share should not distribute an unpolished product in my opinion. Also IMO Apple can afford missteps like antenna-gate and maps, and maps was a business decision as they want to distance themselves from Google.
For the record, my initial comment was regarding someone saying that IOS 8 is not as good as WP 8.1. Which IMO sounds slightly fan-boyish. I desperately want MS to succeed and make an amazing product but I have doubts when clearly they need to survive as a company, and they are focusing on being multiplatform. WP will be the platform that suffers as we have the smallest user base.
Also how can you say that releasing minor 'buggy' updates is better than releasing one well polished update (hypothetically speaking)?

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Bro they've even spoken about it on this very site!

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-research-shows-interactive-live-tiles-windows
This is the only article I have seen on this site about it, besides references to whatever kind of tech McLaren will have. However this is about windows and not WP. So even though I hope they do something like this, you can't say that it is coming without some type of evidence otherwise it is a rumor and needs to be stated as such.

Sawan Tank

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
What is Microsoft doing nowadays for WP 8.1 update official release?? Isn't it already created?? If they are adding new improvements to Official updates, we(Developer preview members) would get it???

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
All the pro iOS folks, does iOS have resizable live tiles? An alphabetical app list? Allow you to pin specific pages in apps and websites to their start screen? A native file explorer? I could go on and on.

I think with 8.1, WP is on par with iOS8. Both have their advantages but neither is clearly ahead of the other.

I think MS has the opportunity with WP9 to advance way past iOS.

This is really funny. Most people complain about the alphabetic app list, you try to sell it as innovation. iOS has a search that opens with a gesture and searches for your app. In my opinion that's better than swiping, clicking on a letter, search for the right letter, clicking it again, search for the right app.

Then the resizable tiles. They are nice but in terms of feature the don't offer too much. At least not for me. In iOS message previews are on the lock screen, calendar previews in the notification center. There are live tiles offering advantages iOS can not, but they have little to do with them being resizable.

On iOS I open Safari and have homepage short-cuts there. It's one click instead of scrolling.

And just as an information, I'm using Windows Phone without exception since my Omnia 7, up to the 8X right now, and I have an iPad as direct comparison since a few weeks.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
This is really funny. Most people complain about the alphabetic app list, you try to sell it as innovation. iOS has a search that opens with a gesture and searches for your app. In my opinion that's better than swiping, clicking on a letter, search for the right letter, clicking it again, search for the right app.

Then the resizable tiles. They are nice but in terms of feature the don't offer too much. At least not for me. In iOS message previews are on the lock screen, calendar previews in the notification center. There are live tiles offering advantages iOS can not, but they have little to do with them being resizable.

On iOS I open Safari and have homepage short-cuts there. It's one click instead of scrolling.

And just as an information, I'm using Windows Phone without exception since my Omnia 7, up to the 8X right now, and I have an iPad as direct comparison since a few weeks.

The search key on Windows Phone 8.1 can also search locally. (Yes, that includes apps.) I think that spotlight search on iOS is better for ease-of-use, though.

You can get the WP7 layout with the three-tile width, if that floats your boat. Resizeable tiles are really just a way to show which apps or info you prioritize. (Or if you just want your Start Screen to fit in one screen.)
You can pin sites to your Start Screen. It's not as clean as the Safari new tab shortcuts, but it's a start.

(Yes, I own a 630 and an iPhone 5, as well as an iPad mini.)

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
The search key on Windows Phone 8.1 can also search locally. (Yes, that includes apps.) I think that spotlight search on iOS is better for ease-of-use, though.

That might be a little offtopic, but how?

When I hit the search button Bing opens. Then I type in the name of the app, it starts a web search. I swipe to "local" it doesn't find anything.

Of course, there's still the search button next to the app list. But that has nothing to do with it being alphabetical, and is not very comfortable to use.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
So I'm just going to assume that you believe that whatever McLaren has is considered interactive live tiles. Even though you have absolutely no idea what they will actually do or what we will be able to with them.

That's the point of the 3d system, the tiles become more interactive. They are supposed to pop out and divide into up to six parts. With each representing different types of info.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
That might be a little offtopic, but how?

When I hit the search button Bing opens. Then I type in the name of the app, it starts a web search. I swipe to "local" it doesn't find anything.

Of course, there's still the search button next to the app list. But that has nothing to do with it being alphabetical, and is not very comfortable to use.

It's not under local, it's under phone. Local tab is for things in your local geographical area.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

I don't know how anyone can consider the alphabetical list a bad thing. If you have 200-300 apps installed on your phone, how do you find what you are looking for? Switch between 6-10 different app launcher grids? None of which are organized by name? Even folders aren't that great. Am I supposed to remember which folder I through that one app in?

On WP, you can put your most used apps on the Start Screen. And use sizing to organize by priority. Lets say thus is about 30-40 apps. The rest of your apps are listed alphabetically and easily found by using the letter jump menu or by search.

BTW, I have an iPhone as well. I hate app management on it.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how anyone can consider the alphabetical list a bad thing. If you have 200-300 apps installed on your phone, how do you find what you are looking for? Switch between 6-10 different app launcher grids? None of which are organized by name? Even folders aren't that great. Am I supposed to remember which folder I through that one app in?

On WP, you can put your most used apps on the Start Screen. And use sizing to organize by priority. Lets say thus is about 30-40 apps. The rest of your apps are listed alphabetically and easily found by using the letter jump menu or by search.

BTW, I have an iPhone as well. I hate app management on it.

Well, if you use 200 to 300 apps, then you use your phone differently to all the people I know. And I understand you need a special solution, as you probably also don't remember the name of all these apps.

Personally I couldn't imagine what I'd need this amount of apps for, so this is an argument not applying to me.

Phillip Deackes

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Well, if you use 200 to 300 apps, then you use your phone differently to all the people I know.
But one of the arguments of the Apple apologists is that iOS has so many more apps . . . Surely if they feel all those apps are necessary then they're going to have lots of apps installed on their iPhones. Stands to reason.

I too hate the ridiculous UI of iOS. Screens full of app icons IMO is not a good UI and is way too simplistic for me.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
But one of the arguments of the Apple apologists is that iOS has so many more apps . . . Surely if they feel all those apps are necessary then they're going to have lots of apps installed on their iPhones. Stands to reason.

I don't really care about the available apps, except of a few local apps available on iOS but not on Windows Phone. That's a difference of maybe 2 or 3 apps. I care about the quality difference between the apps. Believe me, seeing updates of major apps every few days to weeks that are already much better on iOS than on WP can be frustrating.

It says also nothing about the quality of the OS in general, we don't have to discuss that apps are better on iOS.

I too hate the ridiculous UI of iOS. Screens full of app icons IMO is not a good UI and is way too simplistic for me.

And I think that's a good reason to dislike iOS. It says not much about the quality objectively though.

I think I have to write a reminder here: I think Windows Phone 8.1 is great, I just think that iOS 7 is great too, and iOS 8 will probably be better (than iOS 7).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills