• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Check out the best deals!
07-01-2014 04:15 AM
138 12345 ...
tools
    This is really funny. Most people complain about the alphabetic app list, you try to sell it as innovation. iOS has a search that opens with a gesture and searches for your app. In my opinion that's better than swiping, clicking on a letter, search for the right letter, clicking it again, search for the right app.

Then the resizable tiles. They are nice but in terms of feature the don't offer too much. At least not for me. In iOS message previews are on the lock screen, calendar previews in the notification center. There are live tiles offering advantages iOS can not, but they have little to do with them being resizable.

On iOS I open Safari and have homepage short-cuts there. It's one click instead of scrolling.

And just as an information, I'm using Windows Phone without exception since my Omnia 7, up to the 8X right now, and I have an iPad as direct comparison since a few weeks.
    The search key on Windows Phone 8.1 can also search locally. (Yes, that includes apps.) I think that spotlight search on iOS is better for ease-of-use, though.

You can get the WP7 layout with the three-tile width, if that floats your boat. Resizeable tiles are really just a way to show which apps or info you prioritize. (Or if you just want your Start Screen to fit in one screen.)
    You can pin sites to your Start Screen. It's not as clean as the Safari new tab shortcuts, but it's a start.

(Yes, I own a 630 and an iPhone 5, as well as an iPad mini.)
    06-12-2014 12:57 AM
    The search key on Windows Phone 8.1 can also search locally. (Yes, that includes apps.) I think that spotlight search on iOS is better for ease-of-use, though.
    That might be a little offtopic, but how?

When I hit the search button Bing opens. Then I type in the name of the app, it starts a web search. I swipe to "local" it doesn't find anything.

Of course, there's still the search button next to the app list. But that has nothing to do with it being alphabetical, and is not very comfortable to use.
    06-12-2014 01:12 AM
    no there hasn't. There was one video where Microsoft research was showing it in Windows. Not windows phone. And to my knowledge there hasn't been amy good evidence that it is coming.
    I would look a little harder if I were you.

Search | Windows Phone Central
    06-12-2014 01:52 AM
    I would look a little harder if I were you.

Search | Windows Phone Central
    So I'm just going to assume that you believe that whatever McLaren has is considered interactive live tiles. Even though you have absolutely no idea what they will actually do or what we will be able to with them.
    06-12-2014 05:34 AM
    So I'm just going to assume that you believe that whatever McLaren has is considered interactive live tiles. Even though you have absolutely no idea what they will actually do or what we will be able to with them.
    That's the point of the 3d system, the tiles become more interactive. They are supposed to pop out and divide into up to six parts. With each representing different types of info.
    06-12-2014 11:55 AM
    That might be a little offtopic, but how?

When I hit the search button Bing opens. Then I type in the name of the app, it starts a web search. I swipe to "local" it doesn't find anything.

Of course, there's still the search button next to the app list. But that has nothing to do with it being alphabetical, and is not very comfortable to use.
    It's not under local, it's under phone. Local tab is for things in your local geographical area.
    Chregu likes this.
    06-12-2014 12:11 PM
    This is really funny. Most people complain about the alphabetic app list, you try to sell it as innovation. iOS has a search that opens with a gesture and searches for your app. In my opinion that's better than swiping, clicking on a letter, search for the right letter, clicking it again, search for the right app.

Then the resizable tiles. They are nice but in terms of feature the don't offer too much. At least not for me. In iOS message previews are on the lock screen, calendar previews in the notification center. There are live tiles offering advantages iOS can not, but they have little to do with them being resizable.

On iOS I open Safari and have homepage short-cuts there. It's one click instead of scrolling.

And just as an information, I'm using Windows Phone without exception since my Omnia 7, up to the 8X right now, and I have an iPad as direct comparison since a few weeks.
    I don't know how anyone can consider the alphabetical list a bad thing. If you have 200-300 apps installed on your phone, how do you find what you are looking for? Switch between 6-10 different app launcher grids? None of which are organized by name? Even folders aren't that great. Am I supposed to remember which folder I through that one app in?

On WP, you can put your most used apps on the Start Screen. And use sizing to organize by priority. Lets say thus is about 30-40 apps. The rest of your apps are listed alphabetically and easily found by using the letter jump menu or by search.

BTW, I have an iPhone as well. I hate app management on it.
    Chregu, JamesPTao and Etios like this.
    06-12-2014 12:18 PM
    I don't know how anyone can consider the alphabetical list a bad thing. If you have 200-300 apps installed on your phone, how do you find what you are looking for? Switch between 6-10 different app launcher grids? None of which are organized by name? Even folders aren't that great. Am I supposed to remember which folder I through that one app in?

On WP, you can put your most used apps on the Start Screen. And use sizing to organize by priority. Lets say thus is about 30-40 apps. The rest of your apps are listed alphabetically and easily found by using the letter jump menu or by search.

BTW, I have an iPhone as well. I hate app management on it.
    Well, if you use 200 to 300 apps, then you use your phone differently to all the people I know. And I understand you need a special solution, as you probably also don't remember the name of all these apps.

Personally I couldn't imagine what I'd need this amount of apps for, so this is an argument not applying to me.
    FinancialP likes this.
    06-12-2014 12:25 PM
    Well, if you use 200 to 300 apps, then you use your phone differently to all the people I know.
    But one of the arguments of the Apple apologists is that iOS has so many more apps . . . Surely if they feel all those apps are necessary then they're going to have lots of apps installed on their iPhones. Stands to reason.

I too hate the ridiculous UI of iOS. Screens full of app icons IMO is not a good UI and is way too simplistic for me.
    JamesPTao and Etios like this.
    06-12-2014 12:32 PM
    But one of the arguments of the Apple apologists is that iOS has so many more apps . . . Surely if they feel all those apps are necessary then they're going to have lots of apps installed on their iPhones. Stands to reason.
    I don't really care about the available apps, except of a few local apps available on iOS but not on Windows Phone. That's a difference of maybe 2 or 3 apps. I care about the quality difference between the apps. Believe me, seeing updates of major apps every few days to weeks that are already much better on iOS than on WP can be frustrating.

It says also nothing about the quality of the OS in general, we don't have to discuss that apps are better on iOS.

I too hate the ridiculous UI of iOS. Screens full of app icons IMO is not a good UI and is way too simplistic for me.
    And I think that's a good reason to dislike iOS. It says not much about the quality objectively though.

I think I have to write a reminder here: I think Windows Phone 8.1 is great, I just think that iOS 7 is great too, and iOS 8 will probably be better (than iOS 7).
    FinancialP likes this.
    06-12-2014 12:36 PM
    You either didn't bother to read about it or you don't want to read about it. They said that the tiles are going to split into multiple tile when you hold your finger over them.

You do know what interactive means don't you.
    JamesPTao likes this.
    06-12-2014 03:01 PM
    That's the point of the 3d system, the tiles become more interactive. They are supposed to pop out and divide into up to six parts. With each representing different types of info.
    yeah but we don't know if you'll be able to actually do anything. We might be able to see more info, but at this point we just don't know. I also guess I was assuming he meant interactive as a music tile with buttons that would allow music control (something more along the lines of that). The video link I posted before shows interactive tiles on windows 8. That's what I thought he wad referring to. I am excited for McLaren I really want to see what that phone can do. Buy I don't want the hype to grow too big either...
    06-12-2014 03:04 PM
    You either didn't bother to read about it or you don't want to read about it. They said that the tiles are going to split into multiple tile when you hold your finger over them.

You do know what interactive means don't you.
    hahaha dude you have no idea what these tiles will even do please. Read my post above.
    FinancialP likes this.
    06-12-2014 03:06 PM
    hahaha dude you have no idea what these tiles will even do please. Read my post above.
    As I thought, you didn't read about it. There is even a video of them using it on a WP but you said it only showed them using it on windows 8

No I don't know exactly what 3d interactive tile will have, no one outside of MS does but we know it is coming the end of this year. Now I'm assuming MS knows what interactive means.
    JamesPTao likes this.
    06-12-2014 04:38 PM
    I'd rather have a bad Xbox music app in progress than constantly have to restart my iPhone because I've lost all my emails or iTunes goes full retard and loses everything and I have to set up my library all over again just to sync my phone.
    Well I moved from the iPhone 4S to the Nokia Lumia 928, and now the Nokia Icon, so I am by no means an Apple fan boy who believes they're without any faults. I love the WP OS and the Microsoft ecosystem with my SP2 & Xbox 360. Having said that though we're still on a developer preview version of WP 8.1 and they're a number of bugs I hope MSFT irons out. With objectivity in mind though WP is not quite at the level that iOS currently is because its a much younger mobile OS. Like when's the last time Apple had problems with their app's API like we've had with so many apps after migrating from 8.0 to 8.1??
    I've had multiple freezes, black screens, and app crashes. I have faith in MSFT to fix these issues but they're still issues that I never had on any generation of iOS.
    FinancialP likes this.
    06-12-2014 04:53 PM
    As I thought, you didn't read about it. There is even a video of them using it on a WP but you said it only showed them using it on windows 8

No I don't know exactly what 3d interactive tile will have, no one outside of MS does but we know it is coming the end of this year. Now I'm assuming MS knows what interactive means.
    I have actually read those articles, a d like I said above clearly there was a misunderstanding on what I thought that commenter was referring to by interactive. And in all seriousness post the video where they show this on a windows phone. I can't find any videos with a windows phone and interactive tiles. If you could help me out I would appreciate it.
    06-12-2014 05:03 PM
    Well I moved from the iPhone 4S to the Nokia Lumia 928, and now the Nokia Icon, so I am by no means an Apple fan boy who believes they're without any faults. I love the WP OS and the Microsoft ecosystem with my SP2 & Xbox 360. Having said that though we're still on a developer preview version of WP 8.1 and they're a number of bugs I hope MSFT irons out. With objectivity in mind though WP is not quite at the level that iOS currently is because its a much younger mobile OS. Like when's the last time Apple had problems with their app's API like we've had with so many apps after migrating from 8.0 to 8.1??
    I've had multiple freezes, black screens, and app crashes. I have faith in MSFT to fix these issues but they're still issues that I never had on any generation of iOS.
    Keep in mind this is an os update (beta) without the set of drivers to run it properly (ex. nokias cyan) none of us has any idea how stable it is or how well it will run until we get drivers made for it. With apple they have one set of devices so any new os update, beta or otherwise, would nit have this issue because they write their own drivers (instead of having Nokia, HTC, Samsung, etc devices running it). We will see once the drivers come.
    Blacklac likes this.
    06-12-2014 06:26 PM
    Just think of the random issues one would have loading windows 8 on a device having all windows 8 drivers stripped out and replaced with windows 7 drivers. There would be weird bugs, crashes, and problems as well.
    06-12-2014 06:28 PM
    IOS is beautiful but I don't think IOS 8 is better than WP 8.1. Apple has no NFC, no wireless charging, no wifi direct, it's a closed OS , it's not too great in camera,etc. Windows phone is younger and even in the prev. It works fine. You talk about apps, remember that soon we'll have general apps, so developers can forget the 5 % shares that WP represents but not 90 % that computers around the world represent.
    JamesPTao likes this.
    06-12-2014 06:41 PM
    I have actually read those articles, a d like I said above clearly there was a misunderstanding on what I thought that commenter was referring to by interactive. And in all seriousness post the video where they show this on a windows phone. I can't find any videos with a windows phone and interactive tiles. If you could help me out I would appreciate it.
    Microsoft shows how 3D sensing will work on smartphones | Windows Phone Central
    06-12-2014 06:44 PM
    IOS is beautiful but I don't think IOS 8 is better than WP 8.1. Apple has no NFC, no wireless charging, no wifi direct, it's a closed OS , it's not too great in camera,etc. Windows phone is younger and even in the prev. It works fine. You talk about apps, remember that soon we'll have general apps, so developers can forget the 5 % shares that WP represents but not 90 % that computers around the world represent.
    I don't think that either is better than the other but I do think that one suits an individual better than the other. Same goes for android which I thought was the best until I tried windows last year after I got fed up with both Google and my Nexus 7 touch problems.
    06-12-2014 06:50 PM
    Oh lord. Listen I'm not trying to argue with you but that is only showing the technology that will power these interactive tiles. It isn't showing anything from a end user perspective. So your comment about it being on WP is a bit misleading don't you think? The video doesn't show interactive tiles on windows phone at all.
    Obviously we have gotten way off topic here. I still don't agree that Windows Phone 8.1 is better than IOS 8, and with all of the small problems right now I'm not sure you can say that.
    Last edited by twint7787; 06-12-2014 at 07:14 PM.
    06-12-2014 07:02 PM
    Oh lord. Listen I'm not trying to argue with you but that is only showing the technology that will power these interactive tiles. It isn't showing anything from a end user perspective. So your comment about it being on WP is a bit misleading don't you think? The video doesn't show interactive tiles on windows phone at all.
    Obviously we have gotten way off topic here. I still don't agree that Windows Phone 8.1 is better than IOS 8, and with all of the small problems right now I'm not sure you can say that.
    Well to start with your last point, I never said wp8.1 was better than ios8, I haven't used an iPhone for a few years and I don't keep up to the news about it.

Microsoft have not finished the phone yet but if they are showing how the technology works and have said they are making a phone with 3d interactivity and that it is coming out near the end of the year I think it is fair to say that the phone is soon to be real.

However I think we will just have to agree to differ on this one. As I said above I don't think one is better but definitely one is more suited than the other, ios to you and WP to me.
    06-12-2014 07:40 PM
    I love when people say Windows Phone is younger than iOS. Like it's an excuse. Just sweeping every previous iteration under the rug, and not caring about Microsoft just screwing us over throughout the years.

The Mantra "WPx will be way better than ios x when it's released" has been said since windows mobile 6.1.

Nothing is better. We can sum stuff up by saying all OSs have different approaches to getting things done.
    06-12-2014 08:14 PM
    I love when people say Windows Phone is younger than iOS. Like it's an excuse. Just sweeping every previous iteration under the rug, and not caring about Microsoft just screwing us over throughout the years.

The Mantra "WPx will be way better than ios x when it's released" has been said since windows mobile 6.1.

Nothing is better. We can sum stuff up by saying all OSs have different approaches to getting things done.
    How has microsoft screwed us over throughout the years?
    06-12-2014 08:29 PM
138 12345 ...