Windows phone 8.1 is way better than iOS 8

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
So I'm just going to assume that you believe that whatever McLaren has is considered interactive live tiles. Even though you have absolutely no idea what they will actually do or what we will be able to with them.

You either didn't bother to read about it or you don't want to read about it. They said that the tiles are going to split into multiple tile when you hold your finger over them.

You do know what interactive means don't you.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
That's the point of the 3d system, the tiles become more interactive. They are supposed to pop out and divide into up to six parts. With each representing different types of info.

yeah but we don't know if you'll be able to actually do anything. We might be able to see more info, but at this point we just don't know. I also guess I was assuming he meant interactive as a music tile with buttons that would allow music control (something more along the lines of that). The video link I posted before shows interactive tiles on windows 8. That's what I thought he wad referring to. I am excited for McLaren I really want to see what that phone can do. Buy I don't want the hype to grow too big either...

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
You either didn't bother to read about it or you don't want to read about it. They said that the tiles are going to split into multiple tile when you hold your finger over them.

You do know what interactive means don't you.

hahaha dude you have no idea what these tiles will even do please. Read my post above.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
hahaha dude you have no idea what these tiles will even do please. Read my post above.

As I thought, you didn't read about it. There is even a video of them using it on a WP but you said it only showed them using it on windows 8

No I don't know exactly what 3d interactive tile will have, no one outside of MS does but we know it is coming the end of this year. Now I'm assuming MS knows what interactive means.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I'd rather have a bad Xbox music app in progress than constantly have to restart my iPhone because I've lost all my emails or iTunes goes full retard and loses everything and I have to set up my library all over again just to sync my phone.

Well I moved from the iPhone 4S to the Nokia Lumia 928, and now the Nokia Icon, so I am by no means an Apple fan boy who believes they're without any faults. I love the WP OS and the Microsoft ecosystem with my SP2 & Xbox 360. Having said that though we're still on a developer preview version of WP 8.1 and they're a number of bugs I hope MSFT irons out. With objectivity in mind though WP is not quite at the level that iOS currently is because its a much younger mobile OS. Like when's the last time Apple had problems with their app's API like we've had with so many apps after migrating from 8.0 to 8.1??
I've had multiple freezes, black screens, and app crashes. I have faith in MSFT to fix these issues but they're still issues that I never had on any generation of iOS.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
As I thought, you didn't read about it. There is even a video of them using it on a WP but you said it only showed them using it on windows 8

No I don't know exactly what 3d interactive tile will have, no one outside of MS does but we know it is coming the end of this year. Now I'm assuming MS knows what interactive means.

I have actually read those articles, a d like I said above clearly there was a misunderstanding on what I thought that commenter was referring to by interactive. And in all seriousness post the video where they show this on a windows phone. I can't find any videos with a windows phone and interactive tiles. If you could help me out I would appreciate it.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Well I moved from the iPhone 4S to the Nokia Lumia 928, and now the Nokia Icon, so I am by no means an Apple fan boy who believes they're without any faults. I love the WP OS and the Microsoft ecosystem with my SP2 & Xbox 360. Having said that though we're still on a developer preview version of WP 8.1 and they're a number of bugs I hope MSFT irons out. With objectivity in mind though WP is not quite at the level that iOS currently is because its a much younger mobile OS. Like when's the last time Apple had problems with their app's API like we've had with so many apps after migrating from 8.0 to 8.1??
I've had multiple freezes, black screens, and app crashes. I have faith in MSFT to fix these issues but they're still issues that I never had on any generation of iOS.

Keep in mind this is an os update (beta) without the set of drivers to run it properly (ex. nokias cyan) none of us has any idea how stable it is or how well it will run until we get drivers made for it. With apple they have one set of devices so any new os update, beta or otherwise, would nit have this issue because they write their own drivers (instead of having Nokia, HTC, Samsung, etc devices running it). We will see once the drivers come.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Just think of the random issues one would have loading windows 8 on a device having all windows 8 drivers stripped out and replaced with windows 7 drivers. There would be weird bugs, crashes, and problems as well.

ortizang

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
IOS is beautiful but I don't think IOS 8 is better than WP 8.1. Apple has no NFC, no wireless charging, no wifi direct, it's a closed OS , it's not too great in camera,etc. Windows phone is younger and even in the prev. It works fine. You talk about apps, remember that soon we'll have general apps, so developers can forget the 5 % shares that WP represents but not 90 % that computers around the world represent.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
IOS is beautiful but I don't think IOS 8 is better than WP 8.1. Apple has no NFC, no wireless charging, no wifi direct, it's a closed OS , it's not too great in camera,etc. Windows phone is younger and even in the prev. It works fine. You talk about apps, remember that soon we'll have general apps, so developers can forget the 5 % shares that WP represents but not 90 % that computers around the world represent.

I don't think that either is better than the other but I do think that one suits an individual better than the other. Same goes for android which I thought was the best until I tried windows last year after I got fed up with both Google and my Nexus 7 touch problems.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Oh lord. Listen I'm not trying to argue with you but that is only showing the technology that will power these interactive tiles. It isn't showing anything from a end user perspective. So your comment about it being on WP is a bit misleading don't you think? The video doesn't show interactive tiles on windows phone at all.
Obviously we have gotten way off topic here. I still don't agree that Windows Phone 8.1 is better than IOS 8, and with all of the small problems right now I'm not sure you can say that.

Last edited:

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Oh lord. Listen I'm not trying to argue with you but that is only showing the technology that will power these interactive tiles. It isn't showing anything from a end user perspective. So your comment about it being on WP is a bit misleading don't you think? The video doesn't show interactive tiles on windows phone at all.
Obviously we have gotten way off topic here. I still don't agree that Windows Phone 8.1 is better than IOS 8, and with all of the small problems right now I'm not sure you can say that.

Well to start with your last point, I never said wp8.1 was better than ios8, I haven't used an iPhone for a few years and I don't keep up to the news about it.

Microsoft have not finished the phone yet but if they are showing how the technology works and have said they are making a phone with 3d interactivity and that it is coming out near the end of the year I think it is fair to say that the phone is soon to be real.

However I think we will just have to agree to differ on this one. As I said above I don't think one is better but definitely one is more suited than the other, ios to you and WP to me.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I love when people say Windows Phone is younger than iOS. Like it's an excuse. Just sweeping every previous iteration under the rug, and not caring about Microsoft just screwing us over throughout the years.

The Mantra "WPx will be way better than ios x when it's released" has been said since windows mobile 6.1.

Nothing is better. We can sum stuff up by saying all OSs have different approaches to getting things done.

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I love when people say Windows Phone is younger than iOS. Like it's an excuse. Just sweeping every previous iteration under the rug, and not caring about Microsoft just screwing us over throughout the years.

The Mantra "WPx will be way better than ios x when it's released" has been said since windows mobile 6.1.

Nothing is better. We can sum stuff up by saying all OSs have different approaches to getting things done.
How has microsoft screwed us over throughout the years?

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

With the windows phone 7 reboot. They just dropped us Windows Mobile/WP users(windows mobile 6.5.x was actually renamed to windows phone). We purchased windows phones then we were screwed again by the reboot with WP8.

Yes I've been around that long. 10+ years! The new crop of windows fans amaze me every year with the bold predictions, and this is better than that.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Let me list: 1) release Skype video message on iOS first; 2) music app cannot edit playlists before Dec 2013, and the Dec 2013 xbox music app is buggy, sluggish, without live tile. Xbox music pass owners are still paying for a service that is broken on the phone. 3) no updates to office apps for nearly 1 and half years while iOS and Androids version get better both in performance and functionality. 4) No xbox video in 2012 when they advertised xbox video would be available (not available for another whole year). 5) sync was acceptable in the Zune years, broken in the 2012. 6) the Skype integration promised in 2012 never came true.

Specific to windows phone 8.1:
1) Removing social hub functionalities without making sure big service providers like Twitter, LinkedIn, Sina Weibo have their apps ready - look how Apple handles this. 2) Removing the fast and fluid music+video hub with two separate but horribly slow apps (not to mention the buggy xbox music). 3) Action center's notifications can only show one line. 4) xbox music app cannot background download. 5) selecting text is way more difficult than 8.0. 6) Removing messaging integration with FB without opening up the messaging hubs to 3rd party apps. 7) remove me tile notifications. 8) remove multi post from social hub.

Generally, 8.1 is slower, has more black screens and "resuming", consumes more battery, and freezes more often on my Lumia 925.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
With the windows phone 7 reboot. They just dropped us Windows Mobile/WP users(windows mobile 6.5.x was actually renamed to windows phone). We purchased windows phones then we were screwed again by the reboot with WP8.

Yes I've been around that long. 10+ years! The new crop of windows fans amaze me every year with the bold predictions, and this is better than that.

I also switched from WM to WP7 to experience the same crap (my old software not running) again the other way around (the new software not running) with WP8.

I was running Microsoft OS smartphones when the iPhone wasn't even announced, and I laughed about the ridiculous feature-set of the first iPhone with my awesome Windows Mobile machine.

Aniruddh Sharma1

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Well completely OT I guess, but everytime there is a thread on WP; its about how bad/good it is against iOS/Android.
Since the time I bought the 920 (18 months back) what I have read most is about how WP is behind iOS and android, the features it lacks etc. Basically, giving me a sense that what people actually want is a WP in iOS/Android skin! I don't know if I am making any sense here to anyone but now that there are so many things improved in WP; the rants have changed but still exist.
I for one love WP 8/8.1. The UI and Live tiles alone make it better for me than iOS and Android. Can't stand those icons anymore. Moreover, Cortana, ability to search in sms and background wallpapers has just made it more likeable as far as I am concerned.
Anyhow, people will buy what they like. Its not like Apple does not screw up but I think they have some of the best marketing brains in the company and the fact that they do not take time to make their products available to the masses (shipping within 2 weeks of announcing them) plays a major role in their sales and hype.
In any case, I am really looking forward to McLaren and so far do not see any way in which Android or iOS can make me jump to their ecosystem.

To each his/her own :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3