Windows phone 8.1 is way better than iOS 8

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Dude, you really think Microsoft owned the market with Windows Mobile? I think you're delusional. Sure, they might have owned the pocket PC market share. Which was a very niche market in the cell phone market. Having 100% of 1% is not having the market cornered.

Apple, followed by Android, brought pocket PCs or "smartphones" to the masses. They essentially converted what was a much larger part of the cell phone market (flip/feature phones) into smartphone users. Therefore, they owned the market earlier.

99.99999% of people have no fvcking clue what Windows Mobile is or ever was.

Smh. You just said something about hindsight and then you bring up the market from back then. Of course the market has changed and grown.

However that doesn't change the fact that Microsoft owned the market.

It's Microsoft's fault that they are in this position. From the top all the way to the bottom.

My "infatuation" as you call it is the same as everyone else's. You can say I'm a fan of Microsoft but I'll never say anyone put out something better than anyone. Because we've been waiting on better ever since iOS has been released.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Smh. You just said something about hindsight and then you bring up the market from back then. Of course the market has changed and grown.

However that doesn't change the fact that Microsoft owned the market.

It's Microsoft's fault that they are in this position. From the top all the way to the bottom.

My "infatuation" as you call it is the same as everyone else's. You can say I'm a fan of Microsoft but I'll never say anyone put out something better than anyone. Because we've been waiting on better ever since iOS has been released.

Owned what market? There was none. We're talking about cell phones here. The pocket PC devices that Windows Mobile was a part of, barely made a dent on the cell phone market. So they didn't own the market. They owned a certain niche part of it.

Because iOS and Android made that niche mainstream, they have come to truly own the cell phone market.

Of course it's Microsoft's "fault" they didn't convert the market like Apple and Google did. But that doesn't make their decisions since then inherently flawed.

They missed the mark and are now catching up. Apple missed the market on PCs, but look at where they are now.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Owned what market? There was none. We're talking about cell phones here. The pocket PC devices that Windows Mobile was a part of, barely made a dent on the cell phone market. So they didn't own the market. They owned a certain niche part of it.

Because iOS and Android made that niche mainstream, they have come to truly own the cell phone market.

Of course it's Microsoft's "fault" they didn't convert the market like Apple and Google did. But that doesn't make their decisions since then inherently flawed.

They missed the mark and are now catching up. Apple missed the market on PCs, but look at where they are now.

They owned the smartphone market. They took over from Palm and the early blackberries. That's just a fact.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
They owned the smartphone market. They took over from Palm and the early blackberries. That's just a fact.

Yes, and I already stated that was the case. But my point is that market was still a niche part of the cell phone market.

Apple and Google turned that niche part of the cell phone market into mainstream and delivered it to the masses. Windows Mobile was a fart in the wind when that happened. As was blackberry and the others.

So walking around talking about how Microsoft owned that market is pointless because the market Windows Mobile was a part of, essentially disappeared. It was reborn with a new definition. Therefore prior market holders didn't matter because their product didn't meet the criteria for the new definition of that market.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, and I already stated that was the case. But my point is that market was still a niche part of the cell phone market.

Apple and Google turned that niche part of the cell phone market into mainstream and delivered it to the masses. Windows Mobile was a fart in the wind when that happened. As was blackberry and the others.

So walking around talking about how Microsoft owned that market is pointless because the market Windows Mobile was a part of, essentially disappeared. It was reborn with a new definition. Therefore prior market holders didn't matter because their product didn't meet the criteria for the new definition of that market.

I understand where you're coming from. Microsoft owned whatever market existed at the time. Had they stayed competitive, I would think they could have retained at least a significant part of it. They certainly had a bit of an edge on Apple & Google, both of whom had zero market share. Microsoft dropped the proverbial ball, and now the likelihood of them getting back to be anywhere close to what they were is virtually nil. The only way I see it happening is to come up with some kind of disruptive technology. But Apple & Google are no slouches in the innovation department, and Microsoft has a tough job ahead.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

Cars were once a niche part of the market. That doesn't change the facts.

Thanks to TGP for the eloquent explanation.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Cars were once a niche part of the market. That doesn't change the facts.

Thanks to TGP for the eloquent explanation.

Where the hell did I try to change the facts?

All I'm saying is that Microsoft's market share with Windows Mobile is essentially irrelevant because the market had a massive reset that completely changed it's definition and characteristics.

There are a **** ton of car companies that were around when cars were a "niche" market. But those companies are irrelevant in today's auto market because the market has changed so much and they no longer exist.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. Just like I stated in my earlier post of this thread. People want to sweep Windows Mobile under the rug because it doesn't fit the argument. So let's pretend it didn't exist. Let's not include it.

Sadly those of us that were around can't do that.

No logical person will say Windows Phone is Microsoft's first pony in the rodeo.

But I don't think that's what people are saying when they say Windows Phone is still relatively young. It's not young in Microsoft's history, sure, but it's young for this paradigm. One especially set by Apple. You may think it doesn't matter, but it's granular difference that does, at least to me.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Where the hell did I try to change the facts?

All I'm saying is that Microsoft's market share with Windows Mobile is essentially irrelevant because the market had a massive reset that completely changed it's definition and characteristics.

By saying Microsoft's share with Windows Mobile is essentially irrelevant....

Microsoft was the smartphone leader.

Like TGP said Microsoft dropped the proverbial ball. That's very relevant.

There are a **** ton of car companies that were around when cars were a "niche" market. But those companies are irrelevant in today's auto market because the market has changed so much and they no longer exist.

So Ford is irrelevant now?

No offense but don't take this stuff personal.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
T
My point is Microsoft isn't new to the Marketplace. They have been here, they owned it. They just let it go as it wasn't the bread winner.

Heh it's like you want to gloss over the new precedent Apple set when it first introduced the iPhone. Of course MS more or less dominated, they helped push it during the early 2000's. But you can't say it was poor planning because who was the majority people buying those types of devices? It wasn't some small time Joe in middle America. It was most likely business people, IT people, and tech enthusiasts. MS had no reasonable belief to even think about the small time consumer because the majority of the customers at the time were giving them feedback on what they wanted in devices to do work. More importantly the internet was still culling and developing until it's real explosion around 2007.

Then Apple came around and said to everyone, "Why limit this to work? You should be doing bull**** on these devices" Hence, here we are and even why MS tried to recover with Mobile 6.5.

There was no poor planning because things were so different. It's like blaming MS for poor planning with SPOT watches and tablet PCs when really they were just ahead of the curve during their time. Much like Apple with the Newton.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Heh it's like you want to gloss over the new precedent Apple set when it first introduced the iPhone. Of course MS more or less dominated, they helped push it during the early 2000's. But you can't say it was poor planning because who was the majority people buying those types of devices? It wasn't some small time Joe in middle America. It was most likely business people, IT people, and tech enthusiasts. MS had no reasonable belief to even think about the small time consumer because the majority of the customers at the time were giving them feedback on what they wanted in devices to do work. More importantly the internet was still culling and developing until it's real explosion around 2007.

Then Apple came around and said to everyone, "Why limit this to work? You should be doing bull**** on these devices" Hence, here we are and even why MS tried to recover with Mobile 6.5.

There was no poor planning because things were so different. It's like blaming MS for poor planning with SPOT watches and tablet PCs when really they were just ahead of the curve during their time. Much like Apple with the Newton.

And I can't disagree with you at all.

However from 2007-2010 that's poor planning. Windows Phone 7 was very poor planning.

The MSN smart watches were very poorly planned. We had to pay a monthly subscription to receive late information. I had one. Loved it tho.

Good points.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
By saying Microsoft's share with Windows Mobile is essentially irrelevant....

Microsoft was the smartphone leader.

Like TGP said Microsoft dropped the proverbial ball. That's very relevant.

So Ford is irrelevant now?

No offense but don't take this stuff personal.

Everybody dropped the ball. The entire list of "smartphone" companies you mentioned, Palm, Blackberry, Windows, etc. completely lost their market share almost overnight.

Apple completely reinvented that market when they launched the iPhone. Even Google wasn't ready for it. Hell, the first couple versions of Android were a joke compared to the iPhone.

It's like when Ford reinvented the auto market with their mass produced, mass market automobile manufacturing. Companies like Mercedes had been doing cars for a while. But their existing product and methods were turned upside down by Fords lineup. The fact that they once owned the market didn't make a difference at that point. They had to reinvent themselves to compete. I don't think those companies "dropped the ball," they were just shell shocked by a new innovative company. That happens in business. And it's a good thing.

My point is that while Microsoft owned that little niche market at one point, it has no impact on today's market because today's market is so radically different from when WM was king.

******** about Microsoft dropping the ball is frivolous. Because everyone in that market was out done by Apples new injection into the market.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Everybody dropped the ball. The entire list of "smartphone" companies you mentioned, Palm, Blackberry, Windows, etc. completely lost their market share almost overnight.

Apple completely reinvented that market when they launched the iPhone. Even Google wasn't ready for it. Hell, the first couple versions of Android were a joke compared to the iPhone.

It's like when Ford reinvented the auto market with their mass produced, mass market automobile manufacturing. Companies like Mercedes had been doing cars for a while. But their existing product and methods were turned upside down by Fords lineup. The fact that they once owned the market didn't make a difference at that point. They had to reinvent themselves to compete. I don't think those companies "dropped the ball," they were just shell shocked by a new innovative company. That happens in business. And it's a good thing.

My point is that while Microsoft owned that little niche market at one point, it has no impact on today's market because today's market is so radically different from when WM was king.

******** about Microsoft dropping the ball is frivolous. Because everyone in that market was out done by Apples new injection into the market.

With that explanation, I think you've won me over. Everyone did drop the ball.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
What Apple did was bring innovative marketing to the party. Microsoft had been working on similar product. Steve Jobs emphasized what's the use of a good product if no one knows about it. The iPod changed a basic MP3 player into a cultural icon. Zune was a better piece of hardware in every way but no one knew about it.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
What Apple did was bring innovative marketing to the party. Microsoft had been working on similar product. Steve Jobs emphasized what's the use of a good product if no one knows about it. The iPod changed a basic MP3 player into a cultural icon. Zune was a better piece of hardware in every way but no one knew about it.

Apple does have brilliant marketing which makes up half their success. But the iPhone changed the market because it made an advanced OS very accessible with an excellent touch interface. That's really what made it accessible and appealing to the masses.

Microsoft had been dilly dallying in that segment with WM. And the Zune was working closer towards a touch friendly OS. But as much as I hate to admit it, Apple broke the back of the smartphone market and showed everyone how it's done. There was more than just marketing with the success of that product launch.

I went to Europe to study abroad right after it launched. One of my colleagues got one and took it to Europe with us. People everywhere flocked to look at it because it really was that big of a game changer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire