07-23-2014 05:22 PM
299 ... 89101112
tools
    You're correct, but what he was saying is that it's not a standout feature, because iOS and Android have the same thing. In fact, Microsoft's services are mostly better on iOS & Android than on WP. I have a Nexus 5 with OneDrive, Office, and OneNote installed. They all integrate completely seamless. Office programs and OneNote have more features on iOS & Android than on WP. I can even automatically sync my photos to OneDrive. I'm not sacrificing anything related to Microsoft's services!
    Then I stand corrected on that point. Now, can you also see SharePoint sites and other people's OneDrive and OneNote files? The SharePoint app is a must have for me...
    07-12-2014 09:50 PM
    I need do not disturb.
    07-12-2014 09:54 PM
    I need do not disturb.
    We have it, it's called Quiet Hours.
    Nerdy Woman and anon(8938849) like this.
    07-12-2014 09:55 PM
    1. Tell me what pre installed bloat came on my Nexus 5

2. Tell me which Google apps do not follow the same design guidelines.
    Android has a lot more system apps in general, and even stock Android has more Google bloat. But it's more than that. For example WP comes with the ability to fully uninstall many pre installed apps. Including all the Lumia stuff and even carrier bloat. Android can't do that. You just have to hope you can at least disable stuff, otherwise it just runs.

And a few apps that don't look or operate the same would be like Gmail, gplus, the settings app, etc.
    07-12-2014 10:46 PM
    Android has a lot more system apps in general, and even stock Android has more Google bloat. But it's more than that. For example WP comes with the ability to fully uninstall many pre installed apps. Including all the Lumia stuff and even carrier bloat. Android can't do that. You just have to hope you can at least disable stuff, otherwise it just runs.

And a few apps that don't look or operate the same would be like Gmail, gplus, the settings app, etc.
    You're basically saying nothing, and grasping for straws that don't exist. All of Google's apps share a distinct design language, and there is zero bloat on my Nexus devices. I will say though, that at least all of the Google apps work flawlessly on my Android devices, which is something I cannot say about my 920. Read through this forum and take note of all the complaints of what's broken on Windows Phone. It's crazy.
    07-12-2014 10:59 PM
    I don't think it's really fair to use the Nexus 5 as an axis point because even though it is te "official" android , we all know the androids that truly represent android are the galaxy family ( pretty much like Lumia = WP ) , and with my experience , touch wiz is the biggest bloat ware since not only does it slow down the damn thing and eat a whole lot of ram , it is frankly , in my personal opinion, a whole lot uglier than anything since Symbian , and even that looked acceptable with Symbian belle and changeable themes..
    07-12-2014 11:03 PM
    Then I stand corrected on that point. Now, can you also see SharePoint sites and other people's OneDrive and OneNote files? The SharePoint app is a must have for me...
    Absolutely! You can pretty much figure that any Microsoft service you have on your WP is also on iOS & Android, and it will probably work better and have more features. Excel & Word have more editing features than on WP, and Skype actually works properly. With the OneDrive app on Android (and I'm assuming on iOS as well) you have the option of automatically backing up photos in full resolution. That's not even possible on WP8, but it's coming with WP8.1.

WP has some advantages, but Microsoft services are not one of them.

One of the big complaints you see here on WPCentral is that Microsoft seems to prioritize the competing OS's with their services, and it's certainly true. But in a way it makes sense. The WP OS has some limitations that restrict some things from working properly, and the market share is a big issue as well.

And we're only talking Microsoft services here. Apple & Google each have their own ecosystems that work pretty much the same way. And except for the advanced features of Microsoft Office, they're every bit as good.
    07-12-2014 11:28 PM
    I don't think it's really fair to use the Nexus 5 as an axis point because even though it is te "official" android
    That doesn't make any sense. The Nexus phones are real, true Android, exactly the way Google designed them. This debate isn't about TouchWiz, Sean David is calling out Android, and real Android is what you get on Nexus devices.
    07-13-2014 12:53 AM
    BlackBerry and Android user, 90% of my phone use is for tethering my laptop where all work is done, the remaining is voice call, SMS and peek at the mails.

I use less than 10 applications on my phones, mostly train timetable, meteo, bank app and ebook reader.

My current setup work fine, i have tried a Samsung Ativ S in december 2013 and the device was nice to use, but currently i see no reason to switch.
    07-13-2014 01:55 AM
    I'm not talking about syncing, ohgood. I'm talking about opening Word or Excel or PowerPoint and having OneDrive storage right there, along side local and SharePoint sites. When I open Office on my WP, OneDrive and SharePoint are right there. Office files I've recently stored or accessed on OneDrive or SharePoint are immediately visible. Seamless.
    dropbox, mega, google drive, or whoevers cloud I'm using when I open a word doc with star office, the files are right there. if I edited it on the computer 40 seconds ago, now it's on my phone/tablet, and whatever application in using can see it in the list of available files.

it's not something I'm really excited about doing much though. if I'm doing docs and stuff it's usually work, which is meh.

when changes are made, and the file is saved, that service syncs it to the rest of my clouds. it's really not a big deal.
    07-13-2014 08:52 AM

what applications that can't be uninstalled are you referring to?
    07-13-2014 08:56 AM
    I don't think it's really fair to use the Nexus 5 as an axis point because even though it is te "official" android , we all know the androids that truly represent android are the galaxy family ( pretty much like Lumia = WP ) , and with my experience , touch wiz is the biggest bloat ware since not only does it slow down the damn thing and eat a whole lot of ram , it is frankly , in my personal opinion, a whole lot uglier than anything since Symbian , and even that looked acceptable with Symbian belle and changeable themes..

OK, so you don't like touch wiz?

yes, lots of people don't. I don't. but then again lots of people don't like grape snow cones. they still like snow vibes though, and will happily accept the flavor of their preference.
    07-13-2014 08:58 AM
    what applications that can't be uninstalled are you referring to?
    You can't hardly uninstall anything that comes pre installed on any Android device. Carrier bloat is a perfect example. Like all the T-Mobile apps. An Android phone like the LG g2, or g3, come with like 7 or 8 T-Mobile apps, and you can only uninstall one or two. You can't even disable T-Mobile my account, or the system manager app, both of which constantly run in the background monitoring every aspect of your device, including location, and send info back to T-Mobile. WP only comes with like 2 T-Mobile apps, all of which can be completely uninstalled.
    07-13-2014 09:50 AM
    Just because the Galaxy series is the best selling Android doesn't make it the example for all Androids. By your logic you're giving the Android crowd ammunition against WP for the fragmentation argument. As for OEM skins, I think Sense is the best but sales figures don't bear that out. AOSP is the proper version of Android and any discussion that involves OEM skins puts WP at a disadvantage.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    07-13-2014 11:21 AM
    Just because the Galaxy series is the best selling Android doesn't make it the example for all Androids. By your logic you're giving the Android crowd ammunition against WP for the fragmentation argument. As for OEM skins, I think Sense is the best but sales figures don't bear that out. AOSP is the proper version of Android and any discussion that involves OEM skins puts WP at a disadvantage.
    WP fragmentation is not nearly as bad as android.
    07-13-2014 12:04 PM
    Don't know that I'd argue that point, but the better ecosystem helps Android. And, for most mainstream Android devices, OS fragmentation can be fixed.
    07-13-2014 12:15 PM
    Don't know that I'd argue that point, but the better ecosystem helps Android. And, for most mainstream Android devices, OS fragmentation can be fixed.
    How can one fix it?
    07-13-2014 12:18 PM
    That's hardly the point. You can't argue against Android's fragmentation without recognizing WP's own issues with the subject. That's like saying Mark David Chapman is not as bad as Ted Bundy because he killed only one person.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 II using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    07-13-2014 12:20 PM
    That's hardly the point. You can't argue against Android's fragmentation without recognizing WP's own issues with the subject. That's like saying Mark David Chapman is not as bad as Ted Bundy because he killed only one person.

Well then what is your point? Afaik, WP devices don't have skins, and have the same experience across all devices.

07-13-2014 12:29 PM
    Try loading Nokia apps on an Ativ device or an HTC. That, by definition, is fragmentation. It's NOT the same experience across the board.

07-13-2014 12:33 PM
    Try loading Nokia apps on an Ativ device or an HTC. That, by definition, is fragmentation. It's NOT the same experience across the board.

So a few apps can't be loaded, ok its mostly the same (except for a few apps) it looks the same and acts the same. If you go from a ativ to an HTC, you will know what to expect. that's not the same with android and you know it.
    07-13-2014 12:44 PM
    How can one fix it?
    By rooting. There isn't any bloat on my HTC One. On my 521, there are a few apps I can't manipulate, though I do concede less bloat on WP8 in my experience.
    07-13-2014 12:54 PM
    So a few apps can't be loaded, ok its mostly the same (except for a few apps) it looks the same and acts the same. If you go from a ativ to an HTC, you will know what to expect. that's not the same with android and you know it.
    With AOSP it's the same across the board. There's no way around that. You can sugarcoat it any way you like but the end result is the same. Carrier or OEM skins are not Android anymore than TouchFlo was Windows Mobile.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    07-13-2014 01:01 PM
    With AOSP it's the same across the board. There's no way around that. You can sugarcoat it any way you like but the end result is the same. Carrier or OEM skins are not Android anymore than TouchFlo was Windows Mobile.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    That's true, only one problem- very few phones run vanilla android.
    07-13-2014 01:06 PM
    By rooting. There isn't any bloat on my HTC One. On my 521, there are a few apps I can't manipulate, though I do concede less bloat on WP8 in my experience.
    -by rooting-not feasible for the average consumer that make up 97% of the market.
    07-13-2014 01:11 PM
299 ... 89101112