07-23-2014 06:22 PM
299 ... 101112
tools
    As someone who switches back and forth at times between a 521 and a GS3...here's my take on it. As with all this, its just an opinion, and it is in no definitive way right or wrong.

The things that stand out about Android to me are:

More customization options (Different apps for just about every purpose, SMS, theming status bar, roms, etc)
    All apps more or less head there or iOS before anywhere else.
    Depending on the device, you could get great support for updates. Or none at all. Device and carrier specific. The GS3 is a perfect example of great updates. Tons of updates have happened for this phone.

Now we move on to WP8/WP8.1:

Things I like....

Camera. I don't know about other phones, but my 521 has an awesome camera. It blows away the GS3's in my mind.

Less lag. Yes, there is an occasional stutter, but on my GS3 it was always lag lag lag. Even unlocking the phone.

Simplicity. Everything I want to do just works. Web browser? No problem. Amazing camera? Sure thing. Smooth transitions? 99% of the time.

So really, while android might have the upper hand in some areas, my 521 has it bested in others. Ones that are more important, to me.

Sure, I can't play candy crush (Is that what the popular game is these days?) but that doesn't matter to me.
    07-14-2014 05:29 PM
    As someone who switches back and forth at times between a 521 and a GS3...here's my take on it. As with all this, its just an opinion, and it is in no definitive way right or wrong.

The things that stand out about Android to me are:

More customization options (Different apps for just about every purpose, SMS, theming status bar, roms, etc)
    All apps more or less head there or iOS before anywhere else.
    Depending on the device, you could get great support for updates. Or none at all. Device and carrier specific. The GS3 is a perfect example of great updates. Tons of updates have happened for this phone.

Now we move on to WP8/WP8.1:

Things I like....

Camera. I don't know about other phones, but my 521 has an awesome camera. It blows away the GS3's in my mind.

Less lag. Yes, there is an occasional stutter, but on my GS3 it was always lag lag lag. Even unlocking the phone.

Simplicity. Everything I want to do just works. Web browser? No problem. Amazing camera? Sure thing. Smooth transitions? 99% of the time.

So really, while android might have the upper hand in some areas, my 521 has it bested in others. Ones that are more important, to me.

Sure, I can't play candy crush (Is that what the popular game is these days?) but that doesn't matter to me.
    Touchwiz is a lag machine, IMHO.

But well said. If you can meet your mobile needs, that's all that really matters.
    07-14-2014 07:40 PM
    Which OEM skin isn't a lag machine. It's my opinion that the manufacturers don't put in the proper effort on a per-device basis. Touchwiz or Sense come in one flavor with add-ons as needed. Once again, it's only my opinion.

Sent from my LIFE VIEW TAB using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    07-15-2014 07:37 PM
    Which OEM skin isn't a lag machine. It's my opinion that the manufacturers don't put in the proper effort on a per-device basis. Touchwiz or Sense come in one flavor with add-ons as needed. Once again, it's only my opinion.

Sent from my LIFE VIEW TAB using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    Android users would much more benefit from Stock Android OS devices like Nexus or even a Moto G/X type phone over the heavy inflated OEM garbage Samsung/HTC and others add to the platform. The add-ons of these variations of Android do not give enough reason to tolerate the quickly-over-time laggy maneuvering which ends up being the case
    07-16-2014 11:01 AM
    Some people love the skins. I actually like Sense myself.

But I do agree... the Nexus devices do give a good taste of what it feels like to run with a minimum of bloat.
    07-16-2014 11:07 AM
    I don't have money to buy the phone that I want. So yeah that's the only thing keeping me away. But I transfer to my university in 2 months.. Santa Cruz. The woods and the beach. And while the 1020 is the clear winner for this project, I really want a 1520 or rumored 1525 to take pictures of the area. The bugs. The animals. The beach. Everything. So yes. I need that windows phone pronto! So I can do amazing things. Plus I get office on the go on a big phone screen. God.. Why don't people want a windows phone? Free office, excellent camera, and you don't waste all day on games xD
    07-16-2014 01:38 PM
    I don't have money to buy the phone that I want. So yeah that's the only thing keeping me away. But I transfer to my university in 2 months.. Santa Cruz. The woods and the beach. And while the 1020 is the clear winner for this project, I really want a 1520 or rumored 1525 to take pictures of the area. The bugs. The animals. The beach. Everything. So yes. I need that windows phone pronto! So I can do amazing things. Plus I get office on the go on a big phone screen. God.. Why don't people want a windows phone? Free office, excellent camera, and you don't waste all day on games xD
    Get a DSLR, the pictures deserve it
    fatclue_98 and exkerZ like this.
    07-16-2014 01:40 PM
    Get a DSLR, the pictures deserve it
    This may sound like a stupid question but does anybody use 35mm anymore? I miss the smell of fixer.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-16-2014 01:46 PM
    This may sound like a stupid question but does anybody use 35mm anymore? I miss the smell of fixer.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    Yes. At last once the hipsters found something else to do and got or of the way. :D

Saw a guy shooting with a long lens and a Minolta something or other at a track day.... I would have killed millions of mega byres before I got two picture as good add his.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-16-2014 02:24 PM
    Yes. At last once the hipsters found something else to do and got or of the way. :D

Saw a guy shooting with a long lens and a Minolta something or other at a track day.... I would have killed millions of mega byres before I got two picture as good add his.
    Best pics I ever took was with a Pentax ME Super. We're talking 1980 but I defy any Lumia to beat it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-16-2014 11:01 PM

I'm following someone on Instagram who shoots medium format with Hasselblad.
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    07-16-2014 11:11 PM
    I'm following someone on Instagram who shoots medium format with Hasselblad.
    See, I have no idea what that even is. But in betting it whoops a cell phone into little pieces out nothing.
    07-17-2014 06:20 AM
    Some resources for you, exkerZ:

Nokia Smartphone Photography - Nokia

Digital Photography School - Digital Photography Tips and Tutorials - this site focuses on DSLRs, but many of the settings used on DSLRs are now available on your phone (i.e. Nokia Camera, ProShot, and other apps).

There are also lots of photo editing apps available for WP, many of which have been reviewed here on WPC. I'm just a beginner, but I love having the tools available!

BTW, since you'll be a student, you can get the full-blown Office 365 for University, with 1 TB of OneDrive storage and 60 world minutes on Skype every month - $80 for 4 years. All you need is a student e-mail. Microsoft Office 365 University

And voila! you're the smartest kid in the class. Welcome to Crazyfornia.
    exkerZ and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-17-2014 01:03 PM
    Some resources for you, exkerZ:

Nokia Smartphone Photography - Nokia

Digital Photography School - Digital Photography Tips and Tutorials - this site focuses on DSLRs, but many of the settings used on DSLRs are now available on your phone (i.e. Nokia Camera, ProShot, and other apps).

There are also lots of photo editing apps available for WP, many of which have been reviewed here on WPC. I'm just a beginner, but I love having the tools available!

BTW, since you'll be a student, you can get the full-blown Office 365 for University, with 1 TB of OneDrive storage and 60 world minutes on Skype every month - $80 for 4 years. All you need is a student e-mail. Microsoft Office 365 University

And voila! you're the smartest kid in the class. Welcome to Crazyfornia.
    Bahahaha oh you're so kind; thank you for everything ;))) I'll use this info wisely
    Nerdy Woman likes this.
    07-17-2014 01:14 PM
    Has the group texting between iPhone users and windows phone been fixed yet? Last time I hoped back was because is two iPhones included me in an mms thread I couldn't get the content, and unfortunately the convent was more important than the platform (but I'm waiting to come back as soon as it is a resolved issue)
    07-17-2014 01:18 PM
    I hate that 'unfortunately force closed' haha
    07-17-2014 04:13 PM
    I've had Android ever since I first got a smart phone, which was 3-4 years ago. Lately I've been getting tired of the slowness of apps, and the force close issues. I don't really like iOS, but I've only played around with it a bit. I really like the look and responsiveness of WP8. So, what's keeping me from switching?

My carrier. I feel like this is an underrated issue for Windows Phone. I'm on a family plan with US Cellular, and US Cellular only offers a couple Windows Phones, no Nokias. The phone that looks the most appealing, the Lumia Icon is only with Verizon. So, if I wanted to switch to Windows Phone I'd need to pick from 2 phones that would certainly be a downgrade from my Samsung Galaxy S4, or switch carriers to Verizon, which can be expensive and painful.
    exkerZ likes this.
    07-23-2014 01:31 PM
    I've had Android ever since I first got a smart phone, which was 3-4 years ago. Lately I've been getting tired of the slowness of apps, and the force close issues. I don't really like iOS, but I've only played around with it a bit. I really like the look and responsiveness of WP8. So, what's keeping me from switching?

My carrier. I feel like this is an underrated issue for Windows Phone. I'm on a family plan with US Cellular, and US Cellular only offers a couple Windows Phones, no Nokias. The phone that looks the most appealing, the Lumia Icon is only with Verizon. So, if I wanted to switch to Windows Phone I'd need to pick from 2 phones that would certainly be a downgrade from my Samsung Galaxy S4, or switch carriers to Verizon, which can be expensive and painful.
    In all fairness.. With that terrible Samsung bloated ui... Switching to anything that doesn't run a Samsung ui would be an upgrade. Lol I promise.

As for your underrated issue... Aye mate. But is the Icon really the only thing you find attractive?
    07-23-2014 01:44 PM
    In all fairness.. With that terrible Samsung bloated ui... Switching to anything that doesn't run a Samsung ui would be an upgrade. Lol I promise.

As for your underrated issue... Aye mate. But is the Icon really the only thing you find attractive?
    In terms of screen size and hardware it's the most ideal. I'd be willing to get the other Lumia phones, but like I said my carrier has a terrible selection of Windows Phones.
    07-23-2014 03:26 PM
    In terms of screen size and hardware it's the most ideal. I'd be willing to get the other Lumia phones, but like I said my carrier has a terrible selection of Windows Phones.
    Let's cross our fingers that the lumia family will finally become available on all carriers then
    07-23-2014 05:00 PM
    WP does not begin and end with Nokia. The Samsung Ativ S Neo is a dead ringer for the GS4 and is a stellar device. The Ativ SE on Verizon is sick.
    luismfarelo likes this.
    07-23-2014 05:03 PM
    WP does not begin and end with Nokia. The Samsung Ativ S Neo is a dead ringer for the GS4 and is a stellar device. The Ativ SE on Verizon is sick.
    Very true. But I think what people look for is the Nokia experience that maybe everyone loves. That hardware and build quality is amazing. And even though the Samsung lines of windows phone are good too, people get peeved about how windows phone is given Samsung's last year hardware specs.

Also, from what he said a few posts earlier, I think he is trying to avoid Verizon.
    07-23-2014 05:41 PM
    Also, from what he said a few posts earlier, I think he is trying to avoid Verizon.
    It's not so much Verizon I'm trying to avoid, it's switching carriers that I'm trying to avoid. I'm currently on US Cellular with a family plan. For Windows Phones they only offer Samsung ATIV Odyssey, and support a couple other phones that don't even have WP8 (WP 7.5 & 7.8). I just really don't like the look of the phone, and the specs aren't ideal. This is unfortunate, because it's the only choice, at least that it shows on there website.

I just think the availability/choice for Windows Phone on carriers not named AT&T and Verizon is an issue that doesn't seem to be stressed often.
    07-23-2014 06:20 PM
    Very true. But I think what people look for is the Nokia experience that maybe everyone loves. That hardware and build quality is amazing. And even though the Samsung lines of windows phone are good too, people get peeved about how windows phone is given Samsung's last year hardware specs.

I saw he wanted to stay away from Big Red, and I don't blame him, but if he's looking at the Icon as his only WP choice, he's short-changing himself. As for the hardware, it's no secret that WP doesn't need the octa-core chips that high-end Androids need. There are many handsets running on 512mb and little, if any, falloff from the 1gig models. Shoot, WP7 was all single-core handsets with 512 and I still believe it was smoother than WP8.
    07-23-2014 06:22 PM
299 ... 101112