07-23-2014 06:22 PM
299 12345 ...
tools
    Is it games and apps that aren't available? Is it the OS itself? The 8.1 dev preview brought a lot of cool features to Windows Phone. I don't own one yet, but I think it's only a matter of time before I try one out. I really just need to see a few of my favorite games show up on the platform, and then my transition would be easier. I could always use it as a second device I suppose, in case I can't function without my Google services(I probably can't).

Tell me what you think!
    I would love to play Shadow Gun: Dead zone on my 1520.
    06-10-2014 07:56 AM
    I'm apple user.

2. the tiles user interface. I don't like it and think it looks gaudy. (others may like it though and thats fine with me)
    There are so many screen enhancers with 8.1. You can make a tile with your own words, like video, audio, or games.

You can add invisible /transparent tiles to create space, reducing clutter

Or use a ffolder app
    06-10-2014 08:02 AM
    Haha.. From android to wp.. Feel much better i think.. Simple but efficient for my life..
    06-10-2014 08:11 AM
    I can't even understand your writing loan your reasoning...Apple...it looks like a toon design for people like you...
    If your going to trash his writing, at least make sure yours is good: Loans..wtf are you talking about?
    Chregu likes this.
    06-10-2014 08:19 AM
    Why did you buy an Android phone if you hate Google?
    Same reason we bought a WP. Seemed like a good idea.
    06-10-2014 08:22 AM
    Mainly apps - some of the Swedish apps missing, e.g. banks, newspapers and the training apps e.g. Withings, mobile.de etc.
    Secondly - the size/weight of the Lumia phones. They are just to big and heavy.

Despite that, I have placed a preorder on a 930, just to test it together with my 5S.. one of them will end up on ebay.
    06-10-2014 09:56 AM
    1. Local apps are missing entirely. I always see "Available in App Store and Google Play", but very few (if any) mention about WP8
    2. I bought apps. I have about 200$ worth of apps bought and frankly I would lose all that money if I moved.
    3. While Microsoft has a lot of good services, Google's are better (for now).

So in 2 word my reason is "ecosystem lock". I don't have problems recommending WP8 to anyone and I used one of my friend's WP8 phone. It's a very good phone with a very good OS, but it came a little late.
    06-10-2014 10:05 AM
    Is it games and apps that aren't available? Is it the OS itself? The 8.1 dev preview brought a lot of cool features to Windows Phone. I don't own one yet, but I think it's only a matter of time before I try one out. I really just need to see a few of my favorite games show up on the platform, and then my transition would be easier. I could always use it as a second device I suppose, in case I can't function without my Google services(I probably can't).

Tell me what you think!
    Lack of offline navigation,
    live tracking,
    Routing
    and most importantly sharing of all my files with who I want, when I want.

Other things missing:
    Full phone backup to sdcard
    Hacking community

Annoyances:
    Browser
    Tiles (the idea was neat 4 years ago, now it's old)

Surprised how little annoys me about the os really.
    06-10-2014 10:14 AM
    Lack of offline navigation
    Windows Phone has offline navigation, doesn't it?
    06-10-2014 10:20 AM
    You can toggle data connection in WP. It is there in settings > cellular+sim. It is not available in the action centre though.
    Alexis-1991 likes this.
    06-10-2014 10:29 AM
    Lack of offline navigation,
    Isn't HERE Maps providing offline navigation for free?
    06-10-2014 10:37 AM
    Yes, WP has offline navigation. You can download maps of any region and use them without a data connection.
    Sonu K likes this.
    06-10-2014 10:39 AM
    If all I wanted to do was let the device choose the path, that would work. There is so much more to do with choosing fun routes, geocaching, GPS averaging, tracking, live tracking, waypoints, etc that Here is lacking.

For instance, all the features (and a while lot more) of a $700 garmin, in one software application, That is free.
    06-10-2014 10:49 AM
    If all I wanted to do was let the device choose the path, that would work. There is so much more to do with choosing fun routes, geocaching, GPS averaging, tracking, live tracking, waypoints, etc that Here is lacking.

For instance, all the features (and a while lot more) of a $700 garmin, in one software application, That is free.
    Isn't there a geocaching app that can do that? I'm not familiar with it at all, but just had a quick look at the Store, and there's one that apparently uses "Nokia Maps", aka. HERE, and doesn't even require GPS.
    06-10-2014 10:57 AM
    There may be many reasons for that. Poor developer support is the main one - what's the point of an awesome OS if all the apps are crap?

These days even Microsoft is taking its sweet time to actually update its apps.

OneNote, for example, got big updates on iOS and Android, but WP is still running the old version, barely changed since WP7. It is said that we will get an update with Office Gemini, but when is that going to come???
    06-10-2014 11:01 AM
    Tiles (the idea was neat 4 years ago, now it's old
    Genuinely curious what you would like to see instead of Live Tiles. You're not the first to point out that you'd prefer something else, but I'm never sure what it is people are looking for. Is it just static buttons?
    06-10-2014 11:02 AM
    I would love to play Shadow Gun: Dead zone on my 1520.
    The people who play are really really good. It's a kickass game, but the only way I could do well was to play on my iPad. It's frustrating when you die every 20 seconds.
    06-10-2014 11:45 AM

These days even Microsoft is taking its sweet time to actually update its apps.
    That's something I simply can't understand, why doesn't Microsoft put Windows Phone in the front of the line with their own apps? Why are they giving iOS and Android preferential treatment? I guess they want to reach the most users, but it really makes it look as though they don't care about Windows Phone.
    06-10-2014 11:57 AM

Co Pilot

It is the better than anything I have used that comes with the phone.

Your wishes are unrealistic for a free package.

However you pay 1 time for Copilot and it goes with you regardless what platforms your on.

This is as close as you can get to a Garmin for a lot less $$$$$

Just remember to write your activation code down and keep it

Mac
    06-10-2014 12:13 PM
    That's something I simply can't understand, why doesn't Microsoft put Windows Phone in the front of the line with their own apps? Why are they giving iOS and Android preferential treatment? I guess they want to reach the most users, but it really makes it look as though they don't care about Windows Phone.
    That is a darn good question,I've been wondering that myself of late. How much are they changing for these updated apps on the other platforms?

I could understand it easier if they were making a ton of money,but if they aren't,then you are spot on in your assessment of how it looks

Mac
    06-10-2014 12:20 PM
    Mac
    I like to imagine you announce your name at the end of conversations in the real world, too.
    Arka1412 likes this.
    06-10-2014 12:30 PM
    Isn't there a geocaching app that can do that? I'm not familiar with it at all, but just had a quick look at the Store, and there's one that apparently uses "Nokia Maps", aka. HERE, and doesn't even require GPS.
    Hmm, how would an offline navigation application work without GPS ?
    06-10-2014 12:34 PM
    Not a bloody clue; perhaps the guy who did the write-up got carried away. Or maybe GPS also means something else. Or even, just maybe... magic?
    06-10-2014 12:40 PM
    Genuinely curious what you would like to see instead of Live Tiles. You're not the first to point out that you'd prefer something else, but I'm never sure what it is people are looking for. Is it just static buttons?
    Genuine response, yes, I would like just a static "wallpaper", and swipe left for some app, or right for the full app list. Android widgets, iPhone icons, and windows live tiles just aren't my thing. So much nicer to only see the pretty picture I took yesterday instead of someone else's idea of what I should be content with. :thumbup:
    06-10-2014 12:41 PM

I don't think it's possible.
    06-10-2014 12:42 PM
299 12345 ...