• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Check out the best deals!
07-23-2014 05:22 PM
299 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Need apps. Better app UI too. Lots of WP apps lacking features from their counterparts
    06-10-2014 09:24 PM
    I ditched my old Droid 2 global and went for a 620. Found most of the apps I needed but the games are missing. I adapted to the new system quite well being a windows 8 user and all.
    06-10-2014 09:40 PM
    I have the 1520 and it's an awesome phone. Love the OS. I thought about selling the phone but have decided to keep it.
    There is something about it that I love. The camera is amazing. 8.1 runs perfectly on my device other than lately the phone gets hot near the camera for no reason. (official release is soon, so I am not too worried, yet)
    BUT. I also have an iPhone 5S and my main daily driver. (I carry Both phones All the time)
    I only have 1 game ( Clash of Clans ) and of course, not available on WP, but its not just the game. My local bank, and weather, not there.
    Starbucks apps... nope. .. Facebook on windows phone sucks compared to iOS. G+... of course nothing google.
    Google authenticator that I use for some of my mmos, nope...

I love WP but it's just a hobby phone. It can't really be a daily driver with so many apps Still missing. Sorry. I know many will wet themselves when they read that, but its just simple truth.
    WP would be great for someone who has Never had an iOS or Android device. That way, they have no idea what they are missing.
    You also have to remember, some of the WP group are MS junkies and they pretend they don't care that the OS is missing so many apps. They blindly hate android and apple like someone did something TO them... its really lame to limit yourself because of being a fanboy. I love all electronics, and to my knowledge, not a single company has done anything TO me to make me hate them for NO REASON. ... you see that a LOT on Mobile Nations boards. People Hate other companies for the most ignorant reasons...

I am done with android. had many many different android phones, they are all junk. I laugh every time I see someone talk about how superior android is to everything else... whatever. Fanboys are blind. I will give android another chance in a year or two ...

Maybe some day Microsoft will be mentioned every time a new app hits, but If microsoft doesn't pull the plug on the Phone completely, it will be another 5 years before that happens.
    markbc and Arka1412 like this.
    06-10-2014 10:55 PM
    The reasons I switched off of WP were simple:

Xbox Music is embarrassingly bad.

The Mac support is non-existent.

...that's it. Fix those two things and I'm back on board.
    The Xbox music part is what's getting to me lately
    tapehead likes this.
    06-10-2014 10:59 PM
    The Xbox music part is what's getting to me lately
    Me too....which is why I am breaking out my old iPod
    tapehead likes this.
    06-11-2014 12:36 AM
    It's not even the apps for me. A lot of apps get it done in WP. With WP8.1, sh*t just got real.

But then, for me it's 3rd party hardware support. Still lacks a bunch compared to iOS and Android.

Aside from 3rd party support if you think about it it took MS quite a long time to get to where they are, and iOS8....Android users will say they are just playing catch up, but what Apple did this time is pretty remarkable. Subtle, but with ALOT of stuff. In 1 year.

Can you list what WP8.1 has come up with the past year? I'm using WP8.1 now.
    Notifications, Wallpapers and Cortana are the only features that have an impact on me. It took almost 5 years to get here.

Even MS's own apps are being updated in iOS and Anrdoid first.

WP8.1 has been great and it's buttery smooth but I'm always jealous of all the quick support the competitors get.
    tapehead likes this.
    06-11-2014 12:43 AM
    I just made the switch from Android to WP Lumia Icon and so far the only thing I miss is my Google music app really. Not much of a phone gamer so lack of games doesnt bother me much. I enjoy the simplified tile layout and am excited about the 8.1 update.
    06-11-2014 01:18 AM
    Slowly is a slow motion video app that is available for 8.1
    I am aware of slowly. But slowly won't make a slow motion video, it's more like choppy slideshow. For slow motion video, you need 120fps video, and that's something that wp does not support right now, not even in 8.1
    colinkiama and markbc like this.
    06-11-2014 01:50 AM
    what I want to know is why are the apps missing features and not as developed as other operating systems? I am worried as a user that the dev tools aren't up to scratch etc making it harder work then it needs to be for devs to code the same apps as other os counterparts :-/

as a lover of Symbian i know how much it can effect a operating system to have only half baked apps compared to others , i like the phones , i like the operating system , i don't like how polished some of the apps are including apps like Skype , facebook , instragram , whats app , etc these are major names Skype is even owned by Microsoft and yet these apps are lacking compared to other operating systems?? it puzzles me more because Barclays bank have built a superb app as have nokia with the photo editing apps and camera software etc so it must be possible??
    markbc likes this.
    06-11-2014 04:32 AM
    Is there no 3rd party music apps on WP? On Android, I use Google's All Access Music which is great, it even works with 3rd party equalizers that are installed. But if for some reason that app sucked, there are a bunch of other music apps that work extremely well. There's got to some sort of substitute music player for WP.. isn't there?
    06-11-2014 07:51 AM
    Is there no 3rd party music apps on WP? On Android, I use Google's All Access Music which is great, it even works with 3rd party equalizers that are installed. But if for some reason that app sucked, there are a bunch of other music apps that work extremely well. There's got to some sort of substitute music player for WP.. isn't there?
    One is supposed to be coming in a day or 2 its still in beta...all the ones I have tried leave a lot to be desired especially on 8.1 and none that I have or tried can do the metadata correctly for album art.

It's shameful that we have to resort to 3rd party development to get what should be as a system app.
    markbc likes this.
    06-11-2014 08:29 AM
    06-11-2014 08:52 AM
    Try Listen, app. It is the best and made just for Windows Phone 8.1
    06-11-2014 09:51 AM
    Need medical apps. Medscape and the Oxford Handbooks at least. Waited for 2,5 years 800,720, 925 and still nothing. I've invested in Android now.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    06-11-2014 10:08 AM
    I can't even understand your writing loan your reasoning...Apple...it looks like a toon design for people like you...
    His prose may have some punctuation issues, but we don't know if English is his/her native language. That being said, there's no reason to ridicule the author for their choice of device or dislike of Windows Phone. A little piece of advice, the Prophet Marley once posited that you "don't go point'n fingers if your 'ands ain't clean". The author's post has some capitalization issues and some commas missing while your post needs serious work.
    markbc likes this.
    06-11-2014 11:30 AM
    Being on a BB Z10 at the moment, I'm not going to go from 3b to 3a in terms of user adoption and app support. Since I use so many Google services (and really like them) I plan on getting the next Nexus device.
    06-12-2014 12:11 PM
    For me, as a BlackBerry keyboard and part-time Windows Phone user, there a few hardware and software hurdles that I am just not willing to jump. First off, the swipe keyboard on Windows Phone 8.1 barely crosses my tolerance threshold for touch screens. If there was ever a physical keyboard Windows Phone that matched the caliber of the Bold 99X0, I would be first in line. It would also be imperative that the device have removable storage, removable battery, two step camera button, and micro-HDMI to have my full and unbiased consideration.

Related to software, I have found Windows Phone to be mildly irritating in operation. Meaning, I have all the apps and ecosystem benefits but none of that comes through to me while using the phone. I prefer a very streamlined view of information and live tiles is just too simple and childish for that purpose. This is where I benefit from the Hub on BlackBerry. I do wish more apps used the Hub on BlackBerry but that is the trade-off I make for a device instead of an ecosystem. The notifications center is a step in the right direction but not enough to sway me. Multi-tasking, backing out of errors or screens, and opening or searching for apps and system files are also a bother compared to BlackBerry OS 6+. Perhaps those layouts and inputs are just the way I like to interact with a device so I do not like Windows Phone. All of these are adaptable so that is not the reason I stopped or have not moved to Windows Phone full-time.

My main problem with Windows Phone is the "One Windows" execution and the speed at which Microsoft implements the changes I want to see. I can not sync my Internet Explorer settings between devices, I don't see the robust enterprise or MDM features, lot of Microsoft depends on Active Directory, customization and backup are severely lacking for both BlackBerry 10 and Windows Phone, Windows Phone needs Wi-Fi for large items but desktop computers have unlimited customization, etc. If Microsoft got all their ducks in a line, I would be very much pleased with ALL of their product offerings.
    Last edited by mrskycar; 06-12-2014 at 04:21 PM. Reason: a sentence
    06-12-2014 12:54 PM
    WP was quite the revelation. love he OS, but there are a few reasons I cannot use it as a daily driver just yet.

Most importantly (for me), it's the ecosystem. I love what MSFT is building, but there are some tools and combinations that are not available to me yet with regards to apps (and beyond).

There are a couple of things that I require in the area of multitasking that WP8 cannot offer at the moment.
    06-12-2014 12:57 PM
    Is it games and apps that aren't available? Is it the OS itself? The 8.1 dev preview brought a lot of cool features to Windows Phone. I don't own one yet, but I think it's only a matter of time before I try one out. I really just need to see a few of my favorite games show up on the platform, and then my transition would be easier. I could always use it as a second device I suppose, in case I can't function without my Google services(I probably can't).

Tell me what you think!
    I like the User name of yours :-)
    06-12-2014 01:04 PM
    I like the User name of yours :-)
    Thanks, I stole it from a drag queen I saw putting on a show at a gay bar.
    markbc likes this.
    06-12-2014 02:19 PM
    Had to send in my z1s for screen repair, during that time I had to use my 810 and it was difficult for me to adjust to not being able to do certain things you take for granite on android. Got my z1s back yesterday and couldn't be more happier. Just can't adjust to being a$$ed out of so many things on wp. No app support for my trucks head unit, so wp was pretty much useless. Still no simpsons game for wp (probably aint ever going to happen) Here maps still has a long ways to go before they can even compete with google maps. Here drive/maps can't find things in the high desert where as google has no problem. My wp tunein app always crashes while the android version is rock solid. Cortana is slow at searching and still needs better stability support for the field. 4.3 is solid in the field and never have to reboot the thing.

Until they start making phones with real storage wp aint it, how do you store 4k video with 16gigs of internal memory with no SD slot? Seems silly to make these phones with high end video/camera hardware with no place to store them. Until they start letting us back up to PC wp will always be inferior to androids backing system.
    markbc likes this.
    06-12-2014 02:26 PM
    Bottom line up front:
    - lack of phone desktop customization,
    - lack of full file manipulation/control on the phone.
    - lack of full range of smooth, really usable apps,

Oh, I did switch. . .twice. (I really wanted to like this OS!)

First was the Samsung Focus, with the older OS, and kind of crummy battery life. It did not have the apps I needed and the MS Store had multiple versions of the same app -some worked some did not. Tiles sometimes updated, sometimes did not. Also syncing was with that zune-thing at the time. . . yeesh! Not a satisfying user experience.

I switched (back) to Android

Second try was more recent. Switched from a Galaxy S2 to a NOKIA LUMIA 920.
    -- MS store was a LOT better, 95% apps I needed, however those apps did not have the same capabilities and perhaps the OS limited their capabilities, but anyway, they did not work as well (sounds like an IOS user complaint about early android!) .
    -- Phone physical quality was not as good as hyped...it scratched easily -too easily
    -- Tiles worked better, but could not find apps tiles to make use of the screen in a way I liked, wanted or needed.
    (could not get a full days appointments to display with weather and time updating above that).

One of the reasons I got the Nokia was to better tie in my phone with the windows 8 tablet I bought. It turned out that aside from knowing my name and some apps, and wallpaper, there were no advantages to using a winphone with a win8 tablet. . .

I dumped the phone, because I missed personalizing my screen for: my calendar appoitment*S, the quick flick to a planning calender screen, or a quick flick in the other direction to my tasks menu (separate from cal). Also I like 1x4 weather and 1x4 time on my home screen, (who would have thought it was a big deal to put a big clock, that reflected the real, changing time, on the face of WinPhone OS!)

So, as a phone it worked well enough, but WinPhone screen customizations were too limited. It simply was not versatile enough to support my life/work style. Certainly not as well as my next phone was -the Galaxy S4.

Oh, I did like the cordless charging of the Nokia, but it was not as big a deal as I thought it would be. . .still nice to have. .

I still would be interested in winphone -if:
    #1. I could customize the first screen completely. (If I could swap out those mindless tiles for real widgets that provide larger amounts of useful data that I can format my way and absorb at a glance).
    #2. the OS included a real, robust file management capability.
    #3. It could retain the swipe in apps menu from the right and swipe between apps in from the left -those work well (I have used it with some android launchers -like action launcher which is a bit like that. ..sort of. .
    Then it sounds useful and fun -in the work sense!

Hey, reading the other posts it seems that lack of quality apps is the biggest hit of the OS. Lack of functionality that some other OS/phones offer seems to be a common gripe; and then the customization hit. . .Pretty plain.
    Shame, a company that can develop the Surface three should be able to do a better phone/ecosystem that they currently offer. :-(
    Last edited by markbc; 06-12-2014 at 03:02 PM.
    06-12-2014 02:50 PM
    (in reply to mayconvert)

You make a good point -about the blind loyalists or haters. . .

But right now I like Android, and my current phone (a Galaxy S4 with a custom 4.4.2 rom) is really good. I am happy.

I've really become spoiled with screen customization and, in my experience with both WinPhone and IOS, they just did not deliver the "quick look-and-got it" information that I like and get from the android screen. However, others don't care about that, or even don't want that, so to each his/her own.

It's only a phone and getting invested in it to the point of emotional rage, would be . . .puzzling.

On the other hand, I was kind of amazed how you carry two phones, I am starting to like the size of the 1520 (I think!), but unless work forced me to go that route, I would skip carrying two phones. I can't imagine keeping up with both on the go!
    06-12-2014 03:17 PM
    Email experience and keyboard is not as good as BlackBerry 10. I'm not a big app person but bb10 has most apps I need including banking, and any other apps I can install from various Android app stores such as Snap/Google Play or Amazon. Also, my employer/a bank, only allows iPhone, BlackBerry 10, and legacy BlackBerry's. With that said, WP has potential. It needs more time.

Posted via the WPC App for Android! on BlackBerry Z30
    06-12-2014 04:41 PM
    not that great you can't live without them- Save YouTube and there are ways around that.
    The idea of technology is that it should adapt to you - you shouldn't have to adapt to it. Windows Phone users that maintain you should just drop Google for Microsoft services because Google is evil, etc. doesn't change the fact that a lot of us happen to be long time users of Google services (Maps, Voice, GMail, Photos, Google Drive, Sky Map, You Tube) and dropping those for an arguably less well supported OS doesn't make a lot of sense for most people. While I personally believe Google should be supplying support for WP the fact is that support for MS services on Android is superb (Outlook, OneDrive, Skype, Office Mobile, Photos) and Google support for Windows Phone is nonexistent.
    06-12-2014 05:24 PM
299 ... 34567 ...