07-23-2014 06:22 PM
299 ... 45678 ...
tools
    That's something I simply can't understand, why doesn't Microsoft put Windows Phone in the front of the line with their own apps? Why are they giving iOS and Android preferential treatment? I guess they want to reach the most users, but it really makes it look as though they don't care about Windows Phone.
    It's quite simple - it's about economics - the market share of Android/iOS is over 90% and Microsoft needs those users to make money on its services so just like all the other app makers they are going where the money is first and getting back to WP second.
    06-12-2014 06:29 PM
    The main reasons why I bought a Nokia Lumia 1520:
    1) I had few phones in my life, but almost all of them were Nokia (like N73, N82). I loved a lot the phones at that time (6-8 years ago), especially the camera on N82. So Nokia captured my attention.

2) The main reason I didn't want Android is because of Google. I don't like the companies, who's main revenue comes from marketing and ads (like Google, FB). I understand that the main reason of ads are keeping people informed with different offers, products etc. At the same time, THE SAME companies have the biggest share in their businesses (Facebook in Social networking, Google in Mobile OS, browser, search engine), so it's very unlikely that these companies will keep improving (in all of the aspects) because they don't feel the competition. Therefore, it's very likely that companies like MS (in this case, has a lower mobile OS share) will do their best to provide awesome products, services and support.

3) The main reason I didn't want iPhone is because I don't like the Apple ecosystem (Mac OS, iOS, iTunes, etc). The only 2 Apple products that I used, is and old iPod (don't know what gen, with 2GB memory I guess) and iPhone 4 (I got it from my sister, since she bought a new 5S and I needed a phone because my old N82 was almost vanished). All of my life I used to use Windows, and I was very satisfied. I didn't find any reason to use the Apple desktop OS so far.
    Actually, except for having a GMail account to set up your phone the support for Microsoft Services is actually better on Android than it is on WP.
    1. Office Mobile - better on Android and updated more often
    2. OneDrive - Android app is excellent
    3. Outlook - Android app is excellent
    4. Google Maps is better than Nokia Here/Drive or Bing Maps
    5. Chrome is much, much better than Internet Explorer - especially with the Desktop integration.
    6. XBox music is available but not as good as Google Music or any of the other music streaming services
    7. XBox smartglass is better on Android

Probably missed some but the other factor is if you want to stay out of the Google ecosystem you have more and better choices on Android in terms of both hardware (can get just about every size and form factor you could think of on Android - on WP you are lucky to have 1 or 2 choices on each carrier.

I know most people on this forum love their WP but it's really hard to see how MS/Nokia can make any significant inroads (say a jump from 3-4% to
    ​8-10% in the US.
    06-12-2014 06:38 PM
    two things bug me about windows phone.
    1. The good ones are too big or the small ones are to basic specs
    2. I don't like the flippy live tiles, I don't want to see pictures cycling through aimlessly, etc.
    06-12-2014 09:45 PM
    Actually, except for having a GMail account to set up your phone the support for Microsoft Services is actually better on Android than it is on WP.
    5. Chrome is much, much better than Internet Explorer - especially with the Desktop integration.
    6. XBox music is available but not as good as Google Music or any of the other music streaming services

You bring up some interesting points. It reminds me of Paul Thurrott's excellent article about how the iPad can basically become a Microsoft tablet. The apps that MS released to Android and iOS are excellent, and like you point out, some are even better than those that are offered on Windows Phone. It actually makes sense for me to buy a Google or Apple device, because that way I can get all of the great apps they have, and still use the Microsoft ecosystem in a terrific way.

http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/ipad-windows-guy
    06-13-2014 03:53 AM

Probably missed some but the other factor is if you want to stay out of the Google ecosystem you have more and better choices on Android in terms of both hardware (can get just about every size and form factor you could think of on Android - on WP you are lucky to have 1 or 2 choices on each carrier.

I know most people on this forum love their WP but it's really hard to see how MS/Nokia can make any significant inroads (say a jump from 3-4% to
    ​8-10% in the US.
    I get your point, and I kinda agree. I didn't use any Android device, so I can't compare, but yes, some apps on WP are quite slow.
    BUT at the same time, as far as I understand, MS is currently changing much the WP APIs and SDK. This may cause a bad impression about the OS and apps, but it may also create a better experience in the future. I guess it's just a transition time.
    Don't forget that Android and iOS began to develop much much earlier than WP 8 (not WP7, since AFAIK WP 8 was developed from zero), so we just need to wait ;)

In terms of Google apps, I use only the Chrome browser (IE 11 is awesome as well, but I wish it could be as flexible as Chrome) and search engine (still waiting for fully featured Bing)...
    06-13-2014 08:24 AM
    Don't forget that Android and iOS began to develop much much earlier than WP 8 (not WP7, since AFAIK WP 8 was developed from zero), so we just need to wait ;)
    Microsoft made it's first mobile OS way before the iPhone or Android came out. They've been in the mobile arena a long time, so you really can't say that Apple or Google got a head start on them.
    06-13-2014 01:15 PM
    Microsoft made it's first mobile OS way before the iPhone or Android came out. They've been in the mobile arena a long time, so you really can't say that Apple or Google got a head start on them.
    Every couple years Microsoft tosses their mobile operating system into the dumpster and starts over.
    06-13-2014 01:55 PM
    Every couple years Microsoft tosses their mobile operating system into the dumpster and starts over.
    Keeps expectations of the fanboys low I guess ;-)
    06-13-2014 02:08 PM
    Up until WP7, all versions were based on CE. Except for a few apps, WM2003 apps were compatible through 6.5. That's a good 8 years.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    06-13-2014 03:28 PM
    Up until WP7, all versions were based on CE. Except for a few apps, WM2003 apps were compatible through 6.5. That's a good 8 years.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    That's an argument that Windows Phone 7 should have been more advanced in features after 8 years of experience, right?

Windows Mobile apps didn't run on Windows Phone 7. Windows Phone 8 apps didn't run on Windows Phone 7, just a few months after Lumia 900 release that is. Windows Phone 8.1 apps won't run on Windows Phone 8, screwing everybody with a provider not liking releasing updates.
    06-13-2014 03:35 PM
    Does WP not have data toggles?
    No and we also have limited quick settings
    06-13-2014 03:41 PM
    Well WP8.1 has that Kit Kat doesn't, the ability to move apps to the SD card.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    06-13-2014 04:02 PM

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Who said? Only Samsung devices cant do that. Micromax,motorola and sony devices can do that even with jelly bean..
    06-13-2014 04:16 PM
    You bring up some interesting points. It reminds me of Paul Thurrott's excellent article about how the iPad can basically become a Microsoft tablet. The apps that MS released to Android and iOS are excellent, and like you point out, some are even better than those that are offered on Windows Phone. It actually makes sense for me to buy a Google or Apple device, because that way I can get all of the great apps they have, and still use the Microsoft ecosystem in a terrific way.

http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/ipad-windows-guy
    Right now, the only app missing on Android is XBox Video. Since I am a long time user of both Google and Microsoft (believe it or not I still have a .msn e-mail - it is my main personal e-mail address) I get much better support for both ecosystems on Android than I do on Windows Phone and until that changes Windows Phone will not even be on my consideration list - I believe it is that way for a LOT of People and until that changes Windows Phone is going to be the ******* step child of mobiles OSes and bounce along at 3-4% in the US.
    06-13-2014 04:55 PM
    The only Android device I own that has an SD card is my nVidia Shield, it's running KitKat, and can read and write to the card. I have Portal and Half Life 2 installed on it right now.
    06-13-2014 07:10 PM
    Since when do 8.1 apps not run on 8?

You're running a flawed argument, ICS apps don't run on Froyo devices, iOS7 apps don't run on iDevices lower than 4.0 and so on. It's called progress. Can't single out MS for something every single company does. The rims on a 2014 Mustang fit a 2004, but good luck with anything else.

Sent by today's device, whichever it is.
    06-13-2014 08:38 PM
    Since when do 8.1 apps not run on 8?

You're running a flawed argument, ICS apps don't run on Froyo devices, iOS7 apps don't run on iDevices lower than 4.0 and so on. It's called progress. Can't single out MS for something every single company does. The rims on a 2014 Mustang fit a 2004, but good luck with anything else.

Sent by today's device, whichever it is.
    It was mentioned on WPC. Do you have different information?

iDevices lower than 4? Doesn't sound like "less than every two years".
    06-14-2014 01:59 AM
    I am doctor, and I am very keen to switch to windows phone. But I need chm reader, medscape and skyscape. Once I get them, windows phone for the rest of my life......
    06-14-2014 08:22 AM
    Does WP not have data toggles?
    Not in the action center
    06-14-2014 08:32 AM
    The only Android device I own that has an SD card is my nVidia Shield, it's running KitKat, and can read and write to the card. I have Portal and Half Life 2 installed on it right now.
    It was what I read, but the apps the article might have been talking about is stock apps. The HTC One M8 I am using seems to be able to move 3rd party apps to Sd card with no problem. Of course I am also rooted and running a custom Rom.

Sent from my AT&T HTC One M8 via Tapatalk.
    06-14-2014 10:38 AM
    It was mentioned on WPC. Do you have different information?

iDevices lower than 4? Doesn't sound like "less than every two years".
    I have no idea what you meant with the two years statement and yes, I do have different information. I don't make a habit of spoon-feeding links and other such nonsense if people don't want to do a tiny bit of research.
    06-14-2014 11:36 AM
    I have no idea what you meant with the two years statement and yes, I do have different information. I don't make a habit of spoon-feeding links and other such nonsense if people don't want to do a tiny bit of research.
    What I meant is that Apple did stop supporting phones a few generations old, while Microsoft did it with phones only being sold for a few months, twice.

It's nice when Windows Phone 8.1 apps run on Windows Phone 8, I just haven't read it after WPC stated they won't (do you still want me to look up the link, even though you are too lazy to do it?) and all this "the apps just have to be optimized for Windows Phone 8.1" and "the notification center of Windows Phone 8.1 works entirely differently, it will be better then!" posts didn't let me assume it's different. Still, if it works that's great.

Microsoft did still end two operations systems within a very short period of time, which also applied to current generation phones. Windows Mobile 6.5 was released in 2009. Windows Phone 7 was released in 2010. Windows Phone 8 was released in 2012. All of them completely incompatible to each other. Explain me how this is comparable to Apple not supporting phones a few generations back anymore?
    06-14-2014 11:42 AM
    This is bunk. Google, aka android, is open source. Anyone that knows how to write code can rewrite android in anyway they want. Look at all the roms and forked versions of android. Of course google is changing that to guess why. Oh that's right security reasons.
    Android is NOT open-source. In order for an OEM to call their device an Android, the device, upon other things, needs to have Google services installed. This means the Google Play Store, Chrome, etc. If you fork the code, you don't get these services. The parts that come from Linux are open-source, the specific sections programmed by Google, including the services, are closed-source.
    Nerdy Woman likes this.
    06-14-2014 11:55 AM
    Android is NOT open-source. In order for an OEM to call their device an Android, the device, upon other things, needs to have Google services installed. This means the Google Play Store, Chrome, etc. If you fork the code, you don't get these services. The parts that come from Linux are open-source, the specific sections programmed by Google, including the services, are closed-source.
    There is such a thing, as AOSP (Android Open-Source Project) https://source.android.com/

Nokia X series works on AOSP, i.e. Android w/o Google stuff.

"Android is an open-source software stack ..."
    Visa Declined likes this.
    06-14-2014 12:05 PM
    What comes from Google is a abomination of the pure Android experience and you might want to check with the person who developed it if it's supposed too be open source or not. That has always been his stipulation of folks using his os.

Regardless, there isn't a boot loader or Knox application that will ever lock it for long no matter what Google wants it to be,even Samsung's mighty e-fuse is no match for the developers on XDA
    06-14-2014 12:11 PM
299 ... 45678 ...