Android/iOS users, what's keeping you from switching to Windows Phone?

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Had to send in my z1s for screen repair, during that time I had to use my 810 and it was difficult for me to adjust to not being able to do certain things you take for granite on android. Got my z1s back yesterday and couldn't be more happier. Just can't adjust to being a$$ed out of so many things on wp. No app support for my trucks head unit, so wp was pretty much useless. Still no simpsons game for wp (probably aint ever going to happen) Here maps still has a long ways to go before they can even compete with google maps. Here drive/maps can't find things in the high desert where as google has no problem. My wp tunein app always crashes while the android version is rock solid. Cortana is slow at searching and still needs better stability support for the field. 4.3 is solid in the field and never have to reboot the thing.

Until they start making phones with real storage wp aint it, how do you store 4k video with 16gigs of internal memory with no SD slot? Seems silly to make these phones with high end video/camera hardware with no place to store them. Until they start letting us back up to PC wp will always be inferior to androids backing system.

markbc

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Bottom line up front:
- lack of phone desktop customization,
- lack of full file manipulation/control on the phone.
- lack of full range of smooth, really usable apps,

Oh, I did switch. . .twice. (I really wanted to like this OS!)

First was the Samsung Focus, with the older OS, and kind of crummy battery life. It did not have the apps I needed and the MS Store had multiple versions of the same app -some worked some did not. Tiles sometimes updated, sometimes did not. Also syncing was with that zune-thing at the time. . . yeesh! Not a satisfying user experience.

I switched (back) to Android

Second try was more recent. Switched from a Galaxy S2 to a NOKIA LUMIA 920.
-- MS store was a LOT better, 95% apps I needed, however those apps did not have the same capabilities and perhaps the OS limited their capabilities, but anyway, they did not work as well (sounds like an IOS user complaint about early android!) .
-- Phone physical quality was not as good as hyped...it scratched easily -too easily
-- Tiles worked better, but could not find apps tiles to make use of the screen in a way I liked, wanted or needed.
(could not get a full days appointments to display with weather and time updating above that).

One of the reasons I got the Nokia was to better tie in my phone with the windows 8 tablet I bought. It turned out that aside from knowing my name and some apps, and wallpaper, there were no advantages to using a winphone with a win8 tablet. . .

I dumped the phone, because I missed personalizing my screen for: my calendar appoitment*S, the quick flick to a planning calender screen, or a quick flick in the other direction to my tasks menu (separate from cal). Also I like 1x4 weather and 1x4 time on my home screen, (who would have thought it was a big deal to put a big clock, that reflected the real, changing time, on the face of WinPhone OS!)

So, as a phone it worked well enough, but WinPhone screen customizations were too limited. It simply was not versatile enough to support my life/work style. Certainly not as well as my next phone was -the Galaxy S4.

Oh, I did like the cordless charging of the Nokia, but it was not as big a deal as I thought it would be. . .still nice to have. .

I still would be interested in winphone -if:
#1. I could customize the first screen completely. (If I could swap out those mindless tiles for real widgets that provide larger amounts of useful data that I can format my way and absorb at a glance).
#2. the OS included a real, robust file management capability.
#3. It could retain the swipe in apps menu from the right and swipe between apps in from the left -those work well (I have used it with some android launchers -like action launcher which is a bit like that. ..sort of. .
Then it sounds useful and fun -in the work sense!

Hey, reading the other posts it seems that lack of quality apps is the biggest hit of the OS. Lack of functionality that some other OS/phones offer seems to be a common gripe; and then the customization hit. . .Pretty plain.
Shame, a company that can develop the Surface three should be able to do a better phone/ecosystem that they currently offer. :-(

Last edited:

markbc

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
(in reply to mayconvert)

You make a good point -about the blind loyalists or haters. . .

But right now I like Android, and my current phone (a Galaxy S4 with a custom 4.4.2 rom) is really good. I am happy.

I've really become spoiled with screen customization and, in my experience with both WinPhone and IOS, they just did not deliver the "quick look-and-got it" information that I like and get from the android screen. However, others don't care about that, or even don't want that, so to each his/her own.

It's only a phone and getting invested in it to the point of emotional rage, would be . . .puzzling.

On the other hand, I was kind of amazed how you carry two phones, I am starting to like the size of the 1520 (I think!), but unless work forced me to go that route, I would skip carrying two phones. I can't imagine keeping up with both on the go!

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Email experience and keyboard is not as good as BlackBerry 10. I'm not a big app person but bb10 has most apps I need including banking, and any other apps I can install from various Android app stores such as Snap/Google Play or Amazon. Also, my employer/a bank, only allows iPhone, BlackBerry 10, and legacy BlackBerry's. With that said, WP has potential. It needs more time.

Posted via the WPC App for Android! on BlackBerry Z30

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
not that great you can't live without them- Save YouTube and there are ways around that.

The idea of technology is that it should adapt to you - you shouldn't have to adapt to it. Windows Phone users that maintain you should just drop Google for Microsoft services because Google is evil, etc. doesn't change the fact that a lot of us happen to be long time users of Google services (Maps, Voice, GMail, Photos, Google Drive, Sky Map, You Tube) and dropping those for an arguably less well supported OS doesn't make a lot of sense for most people. While I personally believe Google should be supplying support for WP the fact is that support for MS services on Android is superb (Outlook, OneDrive, Skype, Office Mobile, Photos) and Google support for Windows Phone is nonexistent.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
That's something I simply can't understand, why doesn't Microsoft put Windows Phone in the front of the line with their own apps? Why are they giving iOS and Android preferential treatment? I guess they want to reach the most users, but it really makes it look as though they don't care about Windows Phone.
It's quite simple - it's about economics - the market share of Android/iOS is over 90% and Microsoft needs those users to make money on its services so just like all the other app makers they are going where the money is first and getting back to WP second.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
The main reasons why I bought a Nokia Lumia 1520:
1) I had few phones in my life, but almost all of them were Nokia (like N73, N82). I loved a lot the phones at that time (6-8 years ago), especially the camera on N82. So Nokia captured my attention.

2) The main reason I didn't want Android is because of Google. I don't like the companies, who's main revenue comes from marketing and ads (like Google, FB). I understand that the main reason of ads are keeping people informed with different offers, products etc. At the same time, THE SAME companies have the biggest share in their businesses (Facebook in Social networking, Google in Mobile OS, browser, search engine), so it's very unlikely that these companies will keep improving (in all of the aspects) because they don't feel the competition. Therefore, it's very likely that companies like MS (in this case, has a lower mobile OS share) will do their best to provide awesome products, services and support.

3) The main reason I didn't want iPhone is because I don't like the Apple ecosystem (Mac OS, iOS, iTunes, etc). The only 2 Apple products that I used, is and old iPod (don't know what gen, with 2GB memory I guess) and iPhone 4 (I got it from my sister, since she bought a new 5S and I needed a phone because my old N82 was almost vanished). All of my life I used to use Windows, and I was very satisfied. I didn't find any reason to use the Apple desktop OS so far.

Actually, except for having a GMail account to set up your phone the support for Microsoft Services is actually better on Android than it is on WP.
1. Office Mobile - better on Android and updated more often
2. OneDrive - Android app is excellent
3. Outlook - Android app is excellent
4. Google Maps is better than Nokia Here/Drive or Bing Maps
5. Chrome is much, much better than Internet Explorer - especially with the Desktop integration.
6. XBox music is available but not as good as Google Music or any of the other music streaming services
7. XBox smartglass is better on Android

Probably missed some but the other factor is if you want to stay out of the Google ecosystem you have more and better choices on Android in terms of both hardware (can get just about every size and form factor you could think of on Android - on WP you are lucky to have 1 or 2 choices on each carrier.

I know most people on this forum love their WP but it's really hard to see how MS/Nokia can make any significant inroads (say a jump from 3-4% to
​8-10% in the US.

jyrbain

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
two things bug me about windows phone.
1. The good ones are too big or the small ones are to basic specs
2. I don't like the flippy live tiles, I don't want to see pictures cycling through aimlessly, etc.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Actually, except for having a GMail account to set up your phone the support for Microsoft Services is actually better on Android than it is on WP.
5. Chrome is much, much better than Internet Explorer - especially with the Desktop integration.
6. XBox music is available but not as good as Google Music or any of the other music streaming services

You bring up some interesting points. It reminds me of Paul Thurrott's excellent article about how the iPad can basically become a Microsoft tablet. The apps that MS released to Android and iOS are excellent, and like you point out, some are even better than those that are offered on Windows Phone. It actually makes sense for me to buy a Google or Apple device, because that way I can get all of the great apps they have, and still use the Microsoft ecosystem in a terrific way.

http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/ipad-windows-guy

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

Probably missed some but the other factor is if you want to stay out of the Google ecosystem you have more and better choices on Android in terms of both hardware (can get just about every size and form factor you could think of on Android - on WP you are lucky to have 1 or 2 choices on each carrier.

I know most people on this forum love their WP but it's really hard to see how MS/Nokia can make any significant inroads (say a jump from 3-4% to
​8-10% in the US.

I get your point, and I kinda agree. I didn't use any Android device, so I can't compare, but yes, some apps on WP are quite slow.
BUT at the same time, as far as I understand, MS is currently changing much the WP APIs and SDK. This may cause a bad impression about the OS and apps, but it may also create a better experience in the future. I guess it's just a transition time.
Don't forget that Android and iOS began to develop much much earlier than WP 8 (not WP7, since AFAIK WP 8 was developed from zero), so we just need to wait ;)

In terms of Google apps, I use only the Chrome browser (IE 11 is awesome as well, but I wish it could be as flexible as Chrome) and search engine (still waiting for fully featured Bing)...

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Don't forget that Android and iOS began to develop much much earlier than WP 8 (not WP7, since AFAIK WP 8 was developed from zero), so we just need to wait ;)

Microsoft made it's first mobile OS way before the iPhone or Android came out. They've been in the mobile arena a long time, so you really can't say that Apple or Google got a head start on them.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft made it's first mobile OS way before the iPhone or Android came out. They've been in the mobile arena a long time, so you really can't say that Apple or Google got a head start on them.

Every couple years Microsoft tosses their mobile operating system into the dumpster and starts over.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Every couple years Microsoft tosses their mobile operating system into the dumpster and starts over.

Up until WP7, all versions were based on CE. Except for a few apps, WM2003 apps were compatible through 6.5. That's a good 8 years.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Up until WP7, all versions were based on CE. Except for a few apps, WM2003 apps were compatible through 6.5. That's a good 8 years.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

That's an argument that Windows Phone 7 should have been more advanced in features after 8 years of experience, right?

Windows Mobile apps didn't run on Windows Phone 7. Windows Phone 8 apps didn't run on Windows Phone 7, just a few months after Lumia 900 release that is. Windows Phone 8.1 apps won't run on Windows Phone 8, screwing everybody with a provider not liking releasing updates.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
You bring up some interesting points. It reminds me of Paul Thurrott's excellent article about how the iPad can basically become a Microsoft tablet. The apps that MS released to Android and iOS are excellent, and like you point out, some are even better than those that are offered on Windows Phone. It actually makes sense for me to buy a Google or Apple device, because that way I can get all of the great apps they have, and still use the Microsoft ecosystem in a terrific way.

http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/ipad-windows-guy

Right now, the only app missing on Android is XBox Video. Since I am a long time user of both Google and Microsoft (believe it or not I still have a .msn e-mail - it is my main personal e-mail address) I get much better support for both ecosystems on Android than I do on Windows Phone and until that changes Windows Phone will not even be on my consideration list - I believe it is that way for a LOT of People and until that changes Windows Phone is going to be the ******* step child of mobiles OSes and bounce along at 3-4% in the US.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss