Android/iOS users, what's keeping you from switching to Windows Phone?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Since when do 8.1 apps not run on 8?

You're running a flawed argument, ICS apps don't run on Froyo devices, iOS7 apps don't run on iDevices lower than 4.0 and so on. It's called progress. Can't single out MS for something every single company does. The rims on a 2014 Mustang fit a 2004, but good luck with anything else.

Sent by today's device, whichever it is.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Since when do 8.1 apps not run on 8?

You're running a flawed argument, ICS apps don't run on Froyo devices, iOS7 apps don't run on iDevices lower than 4.0 and so on. It's called progress. Can't single out MS for something every single company does. The rims on a 2014 Mustang fit a 2004, but good luck with anything else.

Sent by today's device, whichever it is.

It was mentioned on WPC. Do you have different information?

iDevices lower than 4? Doesn't sound like "less than every two years".

Dr Mayank Rawat

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I am doctor, and I am very keen to switch to windows phone. But I need chm reader, medscape and skyscape. Once I get them, windows phone for the rest of my life......

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The only Android device I own that has an SD card is my nVidia Shield, it's running KitKat, and can read and write to the card. I have Portal and Half Life 2 installed on it right now.
It was what I read, but the apps the article might have been talking about is stock apps. The HTC One M8 I am using seems to be able to move 3rd party apps to Sd card with no problem. Of course I am also rooted and running a custom Rom.

Sent from my AT&T HTC One M8 via Tapatalk.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It was mentioned on WPC. Do you have different information?

iDevices lower than 4? Doesn't sound like "less than every two years".

I have no idea what you meant with the two years statement and yes, I do have different information. I don't make a habit of spoon-feeding links and other such nonsense if people don't want to do a tiny bit of research.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea what you meant with the two years statement and yes, I do have different information. I don't make a habit of spoon-feeding links and other such nonsense if people don't want to do a tiny bit of research.

What I meant is that Apple did stop supporting phones a few generations old, while Microsoft did it with phones only being sold for a few months, twice.

It's nice when Windows Phone 8.1 apps run on Windows Phone 8, I just haven't read it after WPC stated they won't (do you still want me to look up the link, even though you are too lazy to do it?) and all this "the apps just have to be optimized for Windows Phone 8.1" and "the notification center of Windows Phone 8.1 works entirely differently, it will be better then!" posts didn't let me assume it's different. Still, if it works that's great.

Microsoft did still end two operations systems within a very short period of time, which also applied to current generation phones. Windows Mobile 6.5 was released in 2009. Windows Phone 7 was released in 2010. Windows Phone 8 was released in 2012. All of them completely incompatible to each other. Explain me how this is comparable to Apple not supporting phones a few generations back anymore?

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
This is bunk. Google, aka android, is open source. Anyone that knows how to write code can rewrite android in anyway they want. Look at all the roms and forked versions of android. Of course google is changing that to guess why. Oh that's right security reasons.
Android is NOT open-source. In order for an OEM to call their device an Android, the device, upon other things, needs to have Google services installed. This means the Google Play Store, Chrome, etc. If you fork the code, you don't get these services. The parts that come from Linux are open-source, the specific sections programmed by Google, including the services, are closed-source.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Android is NOT open-source. In order for an OEM to call their device an Android, the device, upon other things, needs to have Google services installed. This means the Google Play Store, Chrome, etc. If you fork the code, you don't get these services. The parts that come from Linux are open-source, the specific sections programmed by Google, including the services, are closed-source.

There is such a thing, as AOSP (Android Open-Source Project) https://source.android.com/

Nokia X series works on AOSP, i.e. Android w/o Google stuff.

"Android is an open-source software stack ..."

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

What comes from Google is a abomination of the pure Android experience and you might want to check with the person who developed it if it's supposed too be open source or not. That has always been his stipulation of folks using his os.

Regardless, there isn't a boot loader or Knox application that will ever lock it for long no matter what Google wants it to be,even Samsung's mighty e-fuse is no match for the developers on XDA

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Obviously you haven't used Google Drive/Docs. There's no need for office. MS has a lot of catching up to do unfortunately.. hopefully they can.

If you're a student writing school papers I'm sure Google Docs or OpenOffice is fine. In the corporate world, Office rules. To say there's no need for Office is a gross misunderstanding of "what time it is". As MDMcAtee stated, do your own research and see the worldwide adoption of MS Office vs. Google Docs, OpenOffice or anything else. Catching up? MS is like Secretariat at The Belmont.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
If you're a student writing school papers I'm sure Google Docs or OpenOffice is fine. In the corporate world, Office rules. To say there's no need for Office is a gross misunderstanding of "what time it is". As MDMcAtee stated, do your own research and see the worldwide adoption of MS Office vs. Google Docs, OpenOffice or anything else. Catching up? MS is like Secretariat at The Belmont.

Is it okay if I just assume that you are that condescending and unpleasant by purpose? I'm just mentioning it because you might not realize that you seem like... let's say that you seem mean-spirited.

Well, this is in phone wars after all, so I guess it's okay.

And for a change I agree with you, Google Docs is not really comparable to MS Office.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Is it okay if I just assume that you are that condescending and unpleasant by purpose? I'm just mentioning it because you might not realize that you seem like... let's say that you seem mean-spirited.

Well, this is in phone wars after all, so I guess it's okay.

And for a change I agree with you, Google Docs is not really comparable to MS Office.

I'm not a condescending person but I do have a character flaw that makes me stick up for people. When I see a jive post that ridicules someone using absurd information, it makes me want to jump in and help. I hold no grudges and if I see someone mocking you, I'll be there to make it a fair fight.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Well WP8.1 has that Kit Kat doesn't, the ability to move apps to the SD card.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

this is an almost three year old device running the very latest version (last nights build) of android possible:

8ymy2a4u.jpg

u3erygah.jpg

ypadu2ug.jpg

you can see moving of applications to sdcard is available still.

battery lasts a little over a day and a half, with no attempts at conserving juice. shots 1080p video, and the GPS is fantastic. I hope to get a galaxy s4 next year when they're really cheap.

still watching Nokia to see if tizen sneaks by.... cause it's either that or sailfish for me soon.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

How did a thread about Android vs Windows Phone turn into another MS - Google Flame off.

Xenolock

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I've got a BlackBerry Z30. Awesome phone, although the Nokia cameras kill bb's. My girl has a Lumia 1020, which is a great phone, but it doesn't have the ability to play youtubes and run a lot of other apps in the background. This is a gripe that I would have as well. The People app on Windows phones is great, but I'd take the BB's Hub over it if I had to choose. Both devices have great virtual keyboards, and live tiles are nice. Nokia with Win8.1 would be my second choice behind the new blackberries.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I played you tube videos on my 1520. I used metrotube app. If you really search there is a command you sane in ie11 that will open metrotube when you click on a you tube link

Sent from my AT&T HTC One M8 via Tapatalk.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel