Android/iOS users, what's keeping you from switching to Windows Phone?

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I played you tube videos on my 1520. I used metrotube app. If you really search there is a command you sane in ie11 that will open metrotube when you click on a you tube link

Sent from my AT&T HTC One M8 via Tapatalk.

He wants to have it playing in background when another app is open, as far as I have understood it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
stuff like that is why I try to not ask questions. I was liking the photo forum but all these arguments and anti Google rhetoric turns me off.

It's a forum for Microsoft products; what did you expect? 😆 You won't find much love for Microsoft on AndroidCentral, although there's not nearly as much bashing over there as there is here.

grydlok

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
It's a forum for Microsoft products; what did you expect? �� You won't find much love for Microsoft on AndroidCentral, although there's not nearly as much bashing over there as there is here.

the problem is I been looking at windows phone but I don't feel like asking question because every thing turns into a argument.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
the problem is I been looking at windows phone but I don't feel like asking question because every thing turns into a argument.

If you go into the device-specific forums you'll find all kinds of useful advice from some very knowledgeable people. However, you've entered the "Phone Wars" section and it seems as if there's a sign on the door that says "no civility required". Yes, I've been guilty of it on a few occasions but it's not like they didn't have it coming. Yes, sarcasm spoken here.

Slayix312

May 31, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't switch to a WP as my personal phone until they fix their horrible app selection, 0 customization and fix their massive amounts of broken apps that only half work. They need to get more first party support rather than rely on 3rd party devs.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Obviously you haven't used Google Drive/Docs. There's no need for office. MS has a lot of catching up to do unfortunately.. hopefully they can.

I'm sorry, gleneston, but comparing Google Drive/Docs to Microsoft OneDrive/Word/Excel/PowerPoint/OneNote has me ROTFLMAO. Office apps are accessible directly in OneDrive and Docs compared to Word? I had a client who insisted on using Docs for real time collaboration (which meant I couldn't use my fighter jet desktop Word app while he used the web app). I felt like I was playing in a forum post editor like we have here. He wanted a professionally formatted document using Docs. End of the day? I fired the client. He wasn't worth the pain.

One of the coolest things about Office now is that I can save/retrieve files I've stored on OneDrive from within my desktop app. I've got 6-7 projects on which I'm collaborating with clients. We share OneNote notebooks and files and I can access their files on my WP, right alongside my own. No additional login required.

Admittedly, I've been using Office apps for 20+ years and demand a lot more from my Word Processor than making some text bold. For me, Windows Phone makes me more productive.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, gleneston, but comparing Google Drive/Docs to Microsoft OneDrive/Word/Excel/PowerPoint/OneNote has me ROTFLMAO. Office apps are accessible directly in OneDrive and Docs compared to Word? I had a client who insisted on using Docs for real time collaboration (which meant I couldn't use my fighter jet desktop Word app while he used the web app). I felt like I was playing in a forum post editor like we have here. He wanted a professionally formatted document using Docs. End of the day? I fired the client. He wasn't worth the pain.

One of the coolest things about Office now is that I can save/retrieve files I've stored on OneDrive from within my desktop app. I've got 6-7 projects on which I'm collaborating with clients. We share OneNote notebooks and files and I can access their files on my WP, right alongside my own. No additional login required.

Admittedly, I've been using Office apps for 20+ years and demand a lot more from my Word Processor than making some text bold. For me, Windows Phone makes me more productive.

I agree that Microsoft's Office online is more robust as a whole than Google's system. But it seems you aren't too familiar with Google's. Until recently, Office online's collaboration was a joke. Google's worked much better. And due to a recent update Google's now handles Office files quite nicely. Like Silviu Bogusevschi said above, Google docs is plenty good for most users. It's not the joke you're making it out to be. I use both, and I think Google's is actually simpler to use, which would appeal to basic users who don't require much functionality.

Microsoft has the corner on the market with their second-to-none Office suite, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. The business world is all over it, and for good reason. But Google & Apple have their own which is good enough for a lot of consumers.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

I'm curious what you do that isn't possible in the other (open office, Google docs, star office, etc) suites ?

the only function I've ever seen people use in word is spell check and a few painful experiences with formatting/templates.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious what you do that isn't possible in the other (open office, Google docs, star office, etc) suites ?

the only function I've ever seen people use in word is spell check and a few painful experiences with formatting/templates.

Comparing desktop apps (OpenOffice vs. MS Office - I'm not familiar with features/limitations of StarOffice), there are quite a few tools that aren't available in OpenOffice. True enough that for most users (the 90% that use 10% of the features), these things aren't relevant. Many have to do with collaboration and advanced formatting. As someone who makes a living easing those painful template experiences you mentioned (I format advanced documents and build templates for clients), I'm in the 10% that uses 90% of the features.

If you really want a full rundown on differences between Word and OpenOffice: Differences between the OpenDocument Text (.odt) format and the Word (.docx) format - Office Starter

And here are the differences between OpenOffice and Word Online: Differences between the OpenDocument Text (.odt) format and the Word (.docx) format used by Word Online - SharePoint Online for professionals and small businesses

For some comparisons between Word Online and Google Docs: Google Docs opens Word files with many file integrity problems. Compare viewing results of Word Online vs. Google Docs.

Excel Online vs. Google Sheets: Google Sheets vs. Excel Online - See Google Sheets' file integrity issues when opening an Excel file.

PowerPoint Online vs. Google Slides: Google Slides vs. PowerPoint Online - See Google Slides' file integrity issues when opening a PowerPoint file.

I know most people couldn't care less about the features they're not getting. At the end of the day, if you are working with others and sharing files, you all need to be on the same page, using the same apps. Otherwise, what you see on the screen and what they see can be two very different things. I work in the business world where Microsoft Office is still the de facto standard. Now that Microsoft has made Office available on Android and Apple devices, collaboration is easier.

The biggest problem I've encountered is that people like what they know. If they've always used a butter knife for a screwdriver, they go to the kitchen drawer instead of the toolbox. Me? I prefer power tools. For my clients? I never hesitate to show them how to use a real screwdriver so we can get real work done.

Could I do that with an Android phone? Sure. But the security concerns are real (not because of Google, although I do have issues with a company that makes 99.9% of its revenue selling information about the people who use their products). Perhaps there are fewer apps in the WP store because Microsoft screens apps before allowing them to be published in the store and because the WP OS is more restrictive about what 3rd-party apps can access and use.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Comparing desktop apps (OpenOffice vs. MS Office - I'm not familiar with features/limitations of StarOffice), there are quite a few tools that aren't available in OpenOffice. True enough that for most users (the 90% that use 10% of the features), these things aren't relevant. Many have to do with collaboration and advanced formatting. As someone who makes a living easing those painful template experiences you mentioned (I format advanced documents and build templates for clients), I'm in the 10% that uses 90% of the features.

If you really want a full rundown on differences between Word and OpenOffice: Differences between the OpenDocument Text (.odt) format and the Word (.docx) format - Office Starter

And here are the differences between OpenOffice and Word Online: Differences between the OpenDocument Text (.odt) format and the Word (.docx) format used by Word Online - SharePoint Online for professionals and small businesses

For some comparisons between Word Online and Google Docs: Google Docs opens Word files with many file integrity problems. Compare viewing results of Word Online vs. Google Docs.

Excel Online vs. Google Sheets: Google Sheets vs. Excel Online - See Google Sheets' file integrity issues when opening an Excel file.

PowerPoint Online vs. Google Slides: Google Slides vs. PowerPoint Online - See Google Slides' file integrity issues when opening a PowerPoint file.

I know most people couldn't care less about the features they're not getting. At the end of the day, if you are working with others and sharing files, you all need to be on the same page, using the same apps. Otherwise, what you see on the screen and what they see can be two very different things. I work in the business world where Microsoft Office is still the de facto standard. Now that Microsoft has made Office available on Android and Apple devices, collaboration is easier.

The biggest problem I've encountered is that people like what they know. If they've always used a butter knife for a screwdriver, they go to the kitchen drawer instead of the toolbox. Me? I prefer power tools. For my clients? I never hesitate to show them how to use a real screwdriver so we can get real work done.

Could I do that with an Android phone? Sure. But the security concerns are real (not because of Google, although I do have issues with a company that makes 99.9% of its revenue selling information about the people who use their products). Perhaps there are fewer apps in the WP store because Microsoft screens apps before allowing them to be published in the store and because the WP OS is more restrictive about what 3rd-party apps can access and use.

soooo, templates in Microsoft office is what you use it for? OK cool.

as far as Google selling my information, when i Google my name, i only come up with a bunch of NASCAR racer stuff. that's a relief, because it proves the "Google is evil" theory wrong, and that racing in north America sucks.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

as far as Google selling my information, when i Google my name, i only come up with a bunch of NASCAR racer stuff. that's a relief, because it proves the "Google is evil" theory wrong, and that racing in north America sucks.

I'm with you on the racing comment. The largest racing circuit in this country only features 2 races per year where turning right is required.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
well i left andriod for Windows Phone and its APPs for me, The loading / Resuming thing is annoying and the OS lacking features ...
really miss my apps windows 8.1 has some nice things yes but it still a bit behind.
overall its a nice experience though must admit.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

Gee, when I search on my name, a bazillion forum comments shows up. But that's not how Google collects and uses user data. Let's say an advertiser comes to Google and says I want my ads to display to users in the XXXXX zip code whenever they use G search. Google comes back and says we have N users in that zip code and their highest usage is on Saturdays and Wednesday evenings. If you wish to target those users on those days, it will cost you $$$. Yes, Bing does this too. But here's the difference...

Google's TOS also says they'll collect data about your phone calls, where you are when you call, who you call, how long you talk, etc. Moreover, if you use their online services (aka candy from strangers), they'll use the information they collect about you when you do that too. They make no bones about being an advertising company. Almost all of their revenue comes from selling information to advertisers ($55 BILLION last year). You're not their customer, you're their product. They don't provide services to sell you a new OS, software subscriptions, etc. They provide services so they can provide advertisers with aggregate data about the people who use their services.

Other than the phone service tracking (which to me is too invasive), they only provide advertisers with aggregate data. Every internet website/service for which you sign up can identify you by name and IP address (stealth browsing services aside). I just object to a company that claims to be providing a service to me when in reality, they are pimping me to advertisers.

BTW, did you know that Google went to a pay-to-play model in the US about 2 years ago and in several other countries last year? When you search for a product, all the search results with pictures (i.e., the Shopping Box) are paid advertisers. So you definitely may not see the best deal available.

Google Product Search To Become Google Shopping, Use Pay-To-Play Model

Google Switches To Paid Shopping Results In 11 New Countries

I don't think Google is evil, just manipulative and smarter than the average user.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Gee, when I search on my name, a bazillion forum comments shows up. But that's not how Google collects and uses user data. Let's say an advertiser comes to Google and says I want my ads to display to users in the XXXXX zip code whenever they use G search. Google comes back and says we have N users in that zip code and their highest usage is on Saturdays and Wednesday evenings. If you wish to target those users on those days, it will cost you $$$. Yes, Bing does this too. But here's the difference...

Google's TOS also says they'll collect data about your phone calls, where you are when you call, who you call, how long you talk, etc. Moreover, if you use their online services (aka candy from strangers), they'll use the information they collect about you when you do that too. They make no bones about being an advertising company. Almost all of their revenue comes from selling information to advertisers ($55 BILLION last year). You're not their customer, you're their product. They don't provide services to sell you a new OS, software subscriptions, etc. They provide services so they can provide advertisers with aggregate data about the people who use their services.

Other than the phone service tracking (which to me is too invasive), they only provide advertisers with aggregate data. Every internet website/service for which you sign up can identify you by name and IP address (stealth browsing services aside). I just object to a company that claims to be providing a service to me when in reality, they are pimping me to advertisers.

BTW, did you know that Google went to a pay-to-play model in the US about 2 years ago and in several other countries last year? When you search for a product, all the search results with pictures (i.e., the Shopping Box) are paid advertisers. So you definitely may not see the best deal available.

Google Product Search To Become Google Shopping, Use Pay-To-Play Model

Google Switches To Paid Shopping Results In 11 New Countries

I don't think Google is evil, just manipulative and smarter than the average user.

sounds like a smart way to build a multi billion dollar advertising business to me.

I have zero ads, in my browser, in my search results, popping up in my email client, anywhere.

the government sells my name, address, income level, race, sex, everything about me to advertisers, I get a while lot more spam from the government than from my search indexes, either Yahoo, Google, or the off chance I try Bing again.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I honestly cannot confidently suggest people to switch to WP from iOS or Android, i like the OS but its definitely for specific types, not everyone likes the start screen when i show off my 1020.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss