Android/iOS users, what's keeping you from switching to Windows Phone?

C

Craigtrain

Google's TOS also says they'll collect data about your phone calls, where you are when you call, who you call, how long you talk, etc.

Google doesn't collect data about your phone calls, or track your phone calls.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Google doesn't collect data about your phone calls, or track your phone calls.

Uh, yeah, they do. Android is not as open-source as you think...

From Google's Privacy Policy (https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/):

"When you use our services or view content provided by Google, we may automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This may include:
◾details of how you used our service, such as your search queries.
◾telephony log information like your phone number, calling-party number, forwarding numbers, time and date of calls, duration of calls, SMS routing information and types of calls.
◾Internet protocol address.
◾device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL.
◾cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your Google Account."

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Uh, yeah, they do. Android is not as open-source as you think...

From Google's Privacy Policy (https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/):

"When you use our services or view content provided by Google, we may automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This may include:
◾details of how you used our service, such as your search queries.
◾telephony log information like your phone number, calling-party number, forwarding numbers, time and date of calls, duration of calls, SMS routing information and types of calls.
◾Internet protocol address.
◾device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL.
◾cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your Google Account."

its a CELLULAR PHONE, of course that will be collected, by:

1 the phone
2 cell tower
3 land line switches
4 intermediate servers
5 backbones
6 main servers
7 the NSA, somewhere in there (first time)
8 the FBI (similar)
9 an search company (Google, yahoo, bing, whoever)
10 grandmas WiFi router

if you thing the operating system you plug into a cellular or WiFi router makes it more "secure" , you're hopeless.

the terms of service are what whoever wrote them a month ago wants you to submit to. it changes by the hour, day, week, on a whim. its a piece of paper blowing in the wind. the data still IS captured, stored, backed up in triplicate, of course unless it can get you out of jail or prosecution.... then it just gets deleted accidentally.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Forget Google, what are the carriers doing with your info? They're no angels either.

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
its a CELLULAR PHONE, of course that will be collected, by:

1 the phone
2 cell tower
3 land line switches
4 intermediate servers
5 backbones
6 main servers
7 the NSA, somewhere in there (first time)
8 the FBI (similar)
9 an search company (Google, yahoo, bing, whoever)
10 grandmas WiFi router

if you thing the operating system you plug into a cellular or WiFi router makes it more "secure" , you're hopeless.

the terms of service are what whoever wrote them a month ago wants you to submit to. it changes by the hour, day, week, on a whim. its a piece of paper blowing in the wind. the data still IS captured, stored, backed up in triplicate, of course unless it can get you out of jail or prosecution.... then it just gets deleted accidentally.

I guess I am hopeless. I expect my carrier and all the hardware intermediaries between me and my BFF to need certain information to route the call and bill me. I am aggravated that the US Govt is collecting such data on American citizens without a warrant or probable cause. But I don't understand why an advertising company would need all that information about my phone calls (except to pimp it out), nor how they would get that.

Unless I use an Android phone. Android is open source, you say. Really? Google’s iron grip on Android: Controlling open source by any means necessary | Ars Technica. Take the time to read it.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Another thing that keep me from windows phone is ecosystem.
I'm using a 920 now and i want to run back to android so fast, in addition to the apps situation i find Microsoft's Native windows phone apps and Services feel like a afterthought Skype on android to me is more fully featured than on windows, the Calculator app seems to simple for me no scientific mode or features. No stock voice recording app, Alarms are a bit too simple etc, Mail app and Onedrive apps also feel a bit of a let down.

This is where Microsoft can fix windows making Native Services and First Party apps the best experience on windows phone much like how Google services are exceptional on android and gets updates first before other platforms, just as BBM is exceptional on Blackberry 10 and has unique features only on BB10 OS.

Google services also keeps me away as i kind of use it for school and have alot of accounts linked to Google.
things needed are (Google Maps, Google +, G mail (or better handling of g mail through native windows phone mail app), Youtube with full functionality (smart TV integration etc) , Google Drive, integration with Google calendar, we dont need Google now (i love cortana she is better but needs work).
i do use MS services but not as much as well as drop Box is a app that is dearly needed for me to live on windows.

Other than that i love the facebook app just missing a few features i can live without (best built app i would say)

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I guess I am hopeless. I expect my carrier and all the hardware intermediaries between me and my BFF to need certain information to route the call and bill me. I am aggravated that the US Govt is collecting such data on American citizens without a warrant or probable cause. But I don't understand why an advertising company would need all that information about my phone calls (except to pimp it out), nor how they would get that.

Unless I use an Android phone. Android is open source, you say. Really? Google’s iron grip on Android: Controlling open source by any means necessary | Ars Technica. Take the time to read it.

I'm not sure why you are focused on ' open source ' right now. I don't believe I've said anything about it in this thread.

I share your annoyance with the govt snoops though.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure why you are focused on ' open source ' right now. I don't believe I've said anything about it in this thread.

I share your annoyance with the govt snoops though.

Ohgood, many people think that Google has nothing to do with their Android phone unless they use Google "services," claiming that since Android is "open source," it's not under Google's control. So how or why would they be tracking phone calls? Do you see a legitimate business purpose for that?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Ohgood, many people think that Google has nothing to do with their Android phone unless they use Google "services," claiming that since Android is "open source," it's not under Google's control.

1 So how or why would they be tracking phone calls?
2 Do you see a legitimate business purpose for that?

1 how, from the a) dialer application b) cell tower c) land line switches to d) Att servers back to e) land line switches f) cell tower g) dialer application on the other phone, I guess. doesn't matter whose os is running on the phone, they all have back doors

2 why, I guess to father information and piece together the pieces after the next terror event? I dunno. any legitimate uses, yes, keeping track of employees uses of company property. otherwise, for private citizens just the normal big brother snooping. as far as Google, Apple and Microsoft doing it for legit reasons, no, I don't believe there is one, but they all do it just the same.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
1 how, from the a) dialer application b) cell tower c) land line switches to d) Att servers back to e) land line switches f) cell tower g) dialer application on the other phone, I guess. doesn't matter whose os is running on the phone, they all have back doors

2 why, I guess to father information and piece together the pieces after the next terror event? I dunno. any legitimate uses, yes, keeping track of employees uses of company property. otherwise, for private citizens just the normal big brother snooping. as far as Google, Apple and Microsoft doing it for legit reasons, no, I don't believe there is one, but they all do it just the same.

Seriously? Come on bro, you went from speculation to now making blind assumptions that aren't facts. And no, there's no legit reason why anyone would need to harvest our personal information, the only reason is to sell the data to marketers. At least FB has the balls to admit it, if google and MS are doing its for benefits without our consent unlike FB who sneaks it into their user agreements.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Seriously? Come on bro, you went from speculation to now making blind assumptions that aren't facts. And no, there's no legit reason why anyone would need to harvest our personal information, the only reason is to sell the data to marketers. At least FB has the balls to admit it, if google and MS are doing its for benefits without our consent unlike FB who sneaks it into their user agreements.

alphabetical order:

Apple
http://rt.com/usa/apple-nsa-ios-exploit-693/

Google/same song
http://www.tripwire.com/state-of-se...ckdoor-discovered-nine-samsung-galaxy-models/

Microsoft:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/08/22/nsa_

transmission_failed

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So Google harvests data. Along with everybody else whether it's in their T&Cs or not. Would somebody please tell me in an intelligent, sensical way how to stop it? I don't want some utopian view of what's right or wrong, I want a practical way to stop the world's largest search engine from sticking their noses into our private data. Here's a tip: before answering, be coming up with a way to stop the next guy. Or the next after him, and so on.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So Google harvests data. Along with everybody else whether it's in their T&Cs or not. Would somebody please tell me in an intelligent, sensical way how to stop it? I don't want some utopian view of what's right or wrong, I want a practical way to stop the world's largest search engine from sticking their noses into our private data. Here's a tip: before answering, be coming up with a way to stop the next guy. Or the next after him, and so on.

Yes they all do it. It's just that Google is in the crosshairs right now because they're the biggest and best at it. Kind of like how Walmart is a target for how they treat their employees, but yet their direct competitors do pretty much the same thing and we don't hear much about them.

Yesterday it was Microsoft. Today it's Google. Tomorrow it's someone else.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

log off, and it all goes away

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I could care less. My query was aimed at the incessant whining on these boards.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

Wow. So a discussion about what is wrong with "free" services and underlying motives is "incessant whining." Okay, then. As Ohgood said, log off so you won't be subjected to my whining or anyone else's.

BTW, the phrase is I couldn't care less. That means your level of interest is zero.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Wow. So a discussion about what is wrong with "free" services and underlying motives is "incessant whining." Okay, then. As Ohgood said, log off so you won't be subjected to my whining or anyone else's.

BTW, the phrase is I couldn't care less. That means your level of interest is zero.

My comment wasn't directed at you per se considering I had never seen any of your posts before. Both you and ohgood failed to grasp my original question as to what to do about data mining. Nothing is truly free, there is usually a string attached. In the case of Google and others they want your info in return for their "free" services. Logging off as ohgood suggested is surely one alternative but "incessant whining" serves no purpose. It won't change a thing, let's be real. I can't fathom wasting so much energy on a hopeless cause. Personally, I have a "dummy" account on Google complete with fake name and fake address. While I realize this doesn't completely protect me, at least some vulnerability is mitigated.

BTW, I actually typed this post instead of using voice dictation to avoid any could/couldn't mistakes. My bad for not proofreading. I may have graduated from HS some 30+ years ago but I'm still quite literate.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos