Android/iOS users, what's keeping you from switching to Windows Phone?

C

Craigtrain

No but its still only the home screen.

Really?.. are you sure about that?

GQVnydI.jpg

Having a debate with you is like clapping with one hand. Windows Phone is nowhere near as customizable as Android. With WP you get Tiles, and if you don't like Tiles, you're boned. You can make Android look like anything you want, even without root. We can keep this debate up for ten more pages if you want though.

anon(8938849)

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Really?.. are you sure about that?

View attachment 71886

Having a debate with you is like clapping with one hand. Windows Phone is nowhere near as customizable as Android. With WP you get Tiles, and if you don't like Tiles, you're boned. You can make Android look like anything you want, even without root. We can keep this debate up for ten more pages if you want though.

You can make you HOME SCREEN look like whatever you want. The rest of the system and apps won't match. That's my entire point, just a basic fact about the UNIFICATION that WP has that Android can't match. Don't try turning my point into something it never was just so you can feel like you're "winning" a debate.

anon(8938849)

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Lol your pictures just prove my point even more. The more drastically you change your home screen and app list, the less unified your overall experience. Because the changes are skin deep. So you can go from what you posted, into the settings menu... Which is still just black with white text. And your keyboard, which if it's stock is still just grey on grey.

C

Craigtrain

You can make you HOME SCREEN look like whatever you want. The rest of the system and apps won't match. That's my entire point, just a basic fact about the UNIFICATION that WP has that Android can't match. Don't try turning my point into something it never was just so you can feel like you're "winning" a debate.

You keep going on about Android apps not having any type of unification, I'm convinced you've never used Android though.

XcYMhD3.jpg WNnKkQ7.jpg

vweGJjC.jpg eid3nZh.jpg

Q9LHbRl.jpg TaJcNiy.jpg

v65AP4U.jpg oxzruEs.jpg

R6TFXsG.jpg

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Or, say yes and get all of the best games and apps + better Microsoft services than you can currently get on Windows Phone.

There is no "best", there is "more suitable". I do prefer WP in this case.
I don't need games like the Kim Kardashian one (not sure if it is on Android, but it's within top 10 on iOS).

C

Craigtrain

There is no "best", there is "more suitable". I do prefer WP in this case.
I don't need games like the Kim Kardashian one (not sure if it is on Android, but it's within top 10 on iOS).

Sure, there's a stupid Kim Kardashian game on iOS and Android that I don't want to play either. But there are also a ****-load of awesome games and apps that are never going to make it to Windows Phone. I'm not part of the WPCentral club that says you have to hate Google in order to be a member here. Windows Phone is slick, and I love Nokia's hardware, but I like Android as well. I want to be able to use VSCO Cam, and play Real Racing 3 and Need for Speed: Most Wanted, and Call of Duty: Strike Team, and Deus Ex: The Fall. I want the best that all of the platforms have to offer, that's why I own an iPad as well.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Sure, there's a stupid Kim Kardashian game on iOS and Android that I don't want to play either. But there are also a ****-load of awesome games and apps that are never going to make it to Windows Phone. I'm not part of the WPCentral club that says you have to hate Google in order to be a member here. Windows Phone is slick, and I love Nokia's hardware, but I like Android as well. I want to be able to use VSCO Cam, and play Real Racing 3 and Need for Speed: Most Wanted, and Call of Duty: Strike Team, and Deus Ex: The Fall. I want the best that all of the platforms have to offer, that's why I own an iPad as well.

I'm not a part of such a club either. I do have an iPhone 4, but I use it only for iMessage (my sister likes the iPhone).

For you, Android is more suitable since it has pretty much cool games, whereas I'm not interested that much in games. Again, there is no best.

Edit 1: I didn't use VSCO Cam app, but I'm pretty sure it's not an ultimate app that the platform can't live without.

C

Craigtrain

I'm not a part of such a club either.

When you make a post that says "Say no to Google".. you are part of that club.

Edit 1: I didn't use VSCO Cam app, but I'm pretty sure it's not an ultimate app that the platform can't live without.

People can live without VSCO Cam, but it is regarded to be the best camera app in mobile. It's a social platform as well, and people seem to like it's community. You don't hear anything about it hanging out here at WPC because it's not on Windows Phone.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
When you make a post that says "Say no to Google".. you are part of that club.
That was actually a sarcasm, but anyway...

People can live without VSCO Cam, but it is regarded to be the best camera app in mobile. It's a social platform as well, and people seem to like it's community. You don't hear anything about it hanging out here at WPC because it's not on Windows Phone.

There is Fhotoroom on WP, which is pretty the same, and is incredibly popular.

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Does anybody know why the quiet hours setting on my icon is not working? It just says- Cortana needs to be on, and driving mode can't be on, but none of that is on.

CrossedFaith

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
As someone who switches back and forth at times between a 521 and a GS3...here's my take on it. As with all this, its just an opinion, and it is in no definitive way right or wrong.

The things that stand out about Android to me are:

More customization options (Different apps for just about every purpose, SMS, theming status bar, roms, etc)
All apps more or less head there or iOS before anywhere else.
Depending on the device, you could get great support for updates. Or none at all. Device and carrier specific. The GS3 is a perfect example of great updates. Tons of updates have happened for this phone.

Now we move on to WP8/WP8.1:

Things I like....

Camera. I don't know about other phones, but my 521 has an awesome camera. It blows away the GS3's in my mind.

Less lag. Yes, there is an occasional stutter, but on my GS3 it was always lag lag lag. Even unlocking the phone.

Simplicity. Everything I want to do just works. Web browser? No problem. Amazing camera? Sure thing. Smooth transitions? 99% of the time.

So really, while android might have the upper hand in some areas, my 521 has it bested in others. Ones that are more important, to me.

Sure, I can't play candy crush (Is that what the popular game is these days?) but that doesn't matter to me.

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
As someone who switches back and forth at times between a 521 and a GS3...here's my take on it. As with all this, its just an opinion, and it is in no definitive way right or wrong.

The things that stand out about Android to me are:

More customization options (Different apps for just about every purpose, SMS, theming status bar, roms, etc)
All apps more or less head there or iOS before anywhere else.
Depending on the device, you could get great support for updates. Or none at all. Device and carrier specific. The GS3 is a perfect example of great updates. Tons of updates have happened for this phone.

Now we move on to WP8/WP8.1:

Things I like....

Camera. I don't know about other phones, but my 521 has an awesome camera. It blows away the GS3's in my mind.

Less lag. Yes, there is an occasional stutter, but on my GS3 it was always lag lag lag. Even unlocking the phone.

Simplicity. Everything I want to do just works. Web browser? No problem. Amazing camera? Sure thing. Smooth transitions? 99% of the time.

So really, while android might have the upper hand in some areas, my 521 has it bested in others. Ones that are more important, to me.

Sure, I can't play candy crush (Is that what the popular game is these days?) but that doesn't matter to me.

Touchwiz is a lag machine, IMHO.

But well said. If you can meet your mobile needs, that's all that really matters.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Which OEM skin isn't a lag machine. It's my opinion that the manufacturers don't put in the proper effort on a per-device basis. Touchwiz or Sense come in one flavor with add-ons as needed. Once again, it's only my opinion.

Sent from my LIFE VIEW TAB using WPCentral Forums mobile app

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Which OEM skin isn't a lag machine. It's my opinion that the manufacturers don't put in the proper effort on a per-device basis. Touchwiz or Sense come in one flavor with add-ons as needed. Once again, it's only my opinion.

Sent from my LIFE VIEW TAB using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Android users would much more benefit from Stock Android OS devices like Nexus or even a Moto G/X type phone over the heavy inflated OEM garbage Samsung/HTC and others add to the platform. The add-ons of these variations of Android do not give enough reason to tolerate the quickly-over-time laggy maneuvering which ends up being the case

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Some people love the skins. I actually like Sense myself.

But I do agree... the Nexus devices do give a good taste of what it feels like to run with a minimum of bloat.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans