07-21-2016 12:43 PM
321 12345 ...
tools
    Either Jolla or then some very specific Android-phone. Thinking about something akin to HTC One or some of the Sony high end phones.. Something that actually comes close to the kind of design and feel of Nokia's flagships. Samsungs and Nexus-line I wouldnt even consider.

Apps arn't really the issue for me, however a pretty decent camera is. It doesn't need to be a 1020-level camera, but it would have to be very close to 920 at least. Jolla is finnish, so I'd like to support that and I quite liked the idea of MeeGo before Elop trashed it.
    gedzum likes this.
    06-17-2014 03:23 PM
    Waiting on Tizen. I'll see what they offer before I think about jumping ship. Honestly, if I was forced to switch this instant, I'd probably go for a Blackberry.
    06-17-2014 03:24 PM
    If I 'HAD to leave WP 8.1', I would go to WP 9. ;) Seriously though, let's say Microsoft is unable to gain enough market share in the next couple of years and they decide to abandon the project. This is certainly not what I want or expecting but there is always that possibility and that would really be the only way I would switch. I'd have to pick iPhone. I use iPads already so I'm familiar with the OS. It's fast and stable, not quite as nice as WP but it works and there is never a problem with apps being nonexistent or lacking in features, and best of all it doesn't involve Google. The only thing is that I would want a larger screen, close to 5 inches anyway if not larger. Android is just a big fat mess. I want my phone to work; not be unstable and crash all the time. It is too fragmented and many phones are bloated and I'm over having to flash ROMs just to get a better experience like I used to have to do in the Windows Mobile 5 & 6 days. It's a phone; it needs to fast and reliable and iPhone wins there. I rarely use Google services and can do without them with the exception of maybe YouTube.
    06-17-2014 03:25 PM
    Definitely Sony's Android offerings.

And I will have to go IF Sony doesn't join the WP OEM bandwagon in the future, anyway.

Though I'd give a look at Jolla too.
    Guytronic likes this.
    06-17-2014 03:29 PM
    If you HAD to leave the Earth, where would you go to?
    I'm sorry but these questions are just so stupid... We don't have to leave it so why would we think about the impossible scenario that we would?

But to answer this hideous question:
    WP 8.0 (like I currently have on my L925)
    or if that wouldn't be an option:
    Nokia Symbian Belle. :P
    Call me old fashioned... Nokia Fanboy alert!
    06-17-2014 03:30 PM
    i would go back to android. although it would suck as i will miss the tiles. i know you can make a skin on android to make it look like tiles, but it wont be the same.
    06-17-2014 03:34 PM
    I'd go back to BB10, an operating system I truly love and may visit again one day! I also did enjoy the good old webOS days!
    06-17-2014 04:18 PM
    if Microsoft suddenly kill of WP, i'll sadly have to go to iOS.
    no way I'd go to Android and get scroogled. and Blackberry's dead.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    06-17-2014 04:23 PM
    if Microsoft suddenly kill of WP, i'll sadly have to go to iOS.
    no way I'd go to Android and get scroogled. and Blackberry's dead.
    Dying, but not dead. ;)

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk
    06-17-2014 04:40 PM
    Android for one main reason only: Larger screen size on Android hardware. I'm getting to old to be squinting at that little iPhone screen.
    peacefulberry and Editguy1900 like this.
    06-17-2014 05:37 PM
    Android.

A Nokia-X, because i'm a Delicate Flower and too much change scares me.
    Ed Boland and peacefulberry like this.
    06-17-2014 05:57 PM
    Well my GF just got her new HTC One today. Lovely phone, and it has an IR blaster. She is bowled over by that feature. The thing rocks an 801 processor and is very smooth. The scrolling in apps and on the screen is so slick. My 920 can be jerky, especially when using the Verge app. My WPC also jerks a bit too, especially in landscape mode. She nearly plumped for a 930, but she wanted to stick with Android. I think the battery would be better a bit bigger, but other than that, it is a nice phone.
    06-17-2014 06:23 PM
    Android. First and only (Other) choice. Mainly because of everything you can do it it. Almost abuse the OS or replace it. Sounds good to me, Especially CyanogenMod.
    06-17-2014 07:15 PM
    If you HAD to leave WP 8.1 who would you go to?

Most likely WP 9 ;-)
    06-17-2014 07:39 PM
    I would 100% go for Android on a HTC device such as HTC M8. I already own a HTC One M7 which is amazing, I just cant stand android on Samsung phones.
    06-17-2014 08:04 PM
    Waiting on Tizen. I'll see what they offer before I think about jumping ship. Honestly, if I was forced to switch this instant, I'd probably go for a Blackberry.
    Didn't a tizen phone just come out not too long ago?
    06-17-2014 08:44 PM
    Dying, but not dead. ;)

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk
    Dying a slow death?
    06-17-2014 08:45 PM
    Dying a slow death?
    Don't fret, webOS has been dead for almost 3 years now and The Nation still supports it with homebrews, patches, etc. At least BB OS10 has the advantage of running Android apps as long as they're not tied to the Play Store.

Posted on a real computer with a real keyboard, imagine that!
    06-17-2014 09:00 PM
    Dying a slow death?
    Actually, yes. Their smartphone business is, anyway. Sad (for me), but true.
    06-17-2014 09:05 PM
    Since webOS is not happening...I think if I had to leave, it would be h e double hockey stick for me. When my Pre 2 started having issues keeping a charge no matter what battery I put in it, I had to make a choice. I had been trying to figure out which OS I hated the least and could deal with, bouncing between iOS and Android. WP7 didn't appeal much too me for several reasons. Thankfully, WP8 came out and gave me the third option. I'm glad I went this route because, with the exception of some of the 8.1 DP bugs, my Lumias have been great and don't make me curse them when I use them, something both Android and iOS would make me do.

So right now I just hope I never have to make that choice.
    chezm and xandros9 like this.
    06-17-2014 09:18 PM
    If I left WP, which I'm considering (not for lack of interest; just bored), I would go to Ubuntu Touch and/or Android with the Launcher8 theme installed. Ubuntu Touch looks amazing, all its missing are apps. Android, I can't stand certain aspects of it, but I love the openness of it. So, I'd probably run an Ubuntu Touch/Android (again, with the Launcher8 theme) dual boot. Covers the best of everything. Apps through Android (until UT gets the essentials), live tiles through an Android skin, and the pure incredibility of UT.

Slightly off-topic: Since UT is lacking in apps right now and will be for a long, long time once its actually launched, Canonical should really focus on getting convergence ready. Then whenever there's an app I need, I can just plug my phone into a KVM. I use my laptop a lot more than my WP anyway, so this would be perfect for me as a developer.

This.
    I would totally go full ubuntu touch. the OS is great. and the ui. just the apps are missing. :)
    06-17-2014 10:05 PM
    Moto X. Or HTC's but HTC don't have on Brazil...
    But, maybe, maybe, Xperia Z2...
    06-17-2014 10:36 PM
    Android, but only to Nexus line or maybe Moto line. I don't want to wait forever for the OEM to release any OS updates.

I don't really like iOS interface. Bought an iPad Mini once, but ended up selling it away.
    Live2Deliver likes this.
    06-17-2014 10:36 PM
    Thanks for keeping this thread civil. It sure could have been turned into a flame war, and everyone has been cool.

If I had to leave? Where is that stinking portrait slider from 2009 with the full keyboard.....
    06-17-2014 10:47 PM
    I'd go back to Android. In particular, i am going to buy Galaxy Note 4 if the quality increases because the ecosystem (UI ugliness aside) allows me to maximize efficiency for my work. As an alternative, the next coming HTC phablet (which according to my infos should come up around fall). That would be just one bigger phone but with chances to add options making it similar to a Note 4. Only side effects: A) It's Google; B) Android gets slow over time (My Note II is almost unusable at times). My Lumia 1520 is already a spare in any case as the OS and the apps are too lacking for my needs. So rather than a return to Android in my case is like changing device every 2 years.
    06-17-2014 11:55 PM
321 12345 ...