What This BlackBerry Fan Admires About Microsoft and Windows Phone

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Have to agree about the BB10 hub... Used it just for a few minutes while setting up a z30 I bought for my cousin. It would be awesome if Microsoft somehow figures out a way to bring it to WP .... Would be a nice way to bring in interactive notifications with this

I think the mistake BlackBerry made was not having any tutorial for the hub on demo Z10s in carrier stores. I played with a Z10 in a T-Mobile store shortly after its release and couldn't figure out the gestures. After fumbling around for 10 minutes, I gave up on it, since I couldn't figure out how to use the browser. I'm able to use iPhones or Androids easily in carrier stores without reading any manuals. I've installed apps and posted on the forums using Android devices in carrier stores. I'm not new to smartphones, but I couldn't figure out the BB10 hub. If I had difficulty, I'd imagine other people m might've also had difficulty. I also suspect the average consumer would give up trying in less time than me.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Going from this review, I reckon if Blackberry and WP joined forces for an OS they could blow Android and iOS out of the water completely. Take all the best bits from both, and boom - we have a winner, with the bonus of having the Amazon App store on hand, just to add insult to injury. It could be the best of both worlds.

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
A Little Context

And there's something to be said about simplicity. People know I'm a technology geek, so I get a lot of tech related questions. I'm platform agnostic, so I ask questions and recommend the product I think will be the best fit for the person, regardless of brand. If someone were to come to me and say they were considering getting their first smartphone and ask me which one is the easiest to learn and use, without hesitation I would recommend Windows Phone.

So what do you do when they come back and ask how they get Candy Crush on "the windows phone"

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I think the mistake BlackBerry made was not having any tutorial for the hub on demo Z10s in carrier stores. I played with a Z10 in a T-Mobile store shortly after its release and couldn't figure out the gestures. After fumbling around for 10 minutes, I gave up on it, since I couldn't figure out how to use the browser. I'm able to use iPhones or Androids easily in carrier stores without reading any manuals. I've installed apps and posted on the forums using Android devices in carrier stores. I'm not new to smartphones, but I couldn't figure out the BB10 hub. If I had difficulty, I'd imagine other people m might've also had difficulty. I also suspect the average consumer would give up trying in less time than me.

This is an excellent point. BB10 is different enough from the other platforms that there definitely is a bit of a learning curve. No home button or navigation buttons - how do I close an app? Those kinds of subtle differences can cause frustration.

Once you learn the BB10 gestures they make total sense, but it takes time that many simply aren't willing to invest at this stage in the game.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Well I feel somewhat the same when ti comes to security. Microsoft is the only one close to blackberry and the the stability of the OS defines itself.
Glad to read such genuine reviews.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Laura, it's a shame you've never owned a webOS device. BBOS 10 is a natural progression with the swipes and gestures. I believe that gestures are a more natural act than pressing buttons but that's just me. I'm glad that WP is adopting some gestures but I'm even happier they've left the keyboard alone. For someone who has resisted virtual keyboards for years, I can honestly say WP's version is the best.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Laura, it's a shame you've never owned a webOS device. BBOS 10 is a natural progression with the swipes and gestures. I believe that gestures are a more natural act than pressing buttons but that's just me. I'm glad that WP is adopting some gestures but I'm even happier they've left the keyboard alone. For someone who has resisted virtual keyboards for years, I can honestly say WP's version is the best.
Unfortunately, I've never known anyone with a webOS device except for one guy in my Linux User Group who has an HP Touchpad (but he runs Android on his Touchpad, not webOS). So I've never even seen webOS, since I never played with a Palm Pre and never knew anyone who had one. I never played with Windows Mobile either, but my mother's next-door-neighbour still has a Samsung Jack, so I've at least seen it.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
It's official: BBM is coming to Windows Phone in July!

I'm seriously thinking about trading my Z30 for a Lumia Icon before the end of the month (via the Verizon Edge program). :)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, I've never known anyone with a webOS device except for one guy in my Linux User Group who has an HP Touchpad (but he runs Android on his Touchpad, not webOS). So I've never even seen webOS, since I never played with a Palm Pre and never knew anyone who had one. I never played with Windows Mobile either, but my mother's next-door-neighbour still has a Samsung Jack, so I've at least seen it.

Is he/she an Ozzy Osbourne fan? JK, I wish I had a GSM Pre laying around that I could send you. You'd be floored at how good an OS could be.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

anon(8730639)

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
It's official: BBM is coming to Windows Phone in July!

I'm seriously thinking about trading my Z30 for a Lumia Icon before the end of the month (via the Verizon Edge program). :)

Maybe I'm missing something, but I never understood the appeal of BBM after services like iMessage have appeared. What's so much better about BBM?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback and for moving the thread to the right place. I wasn't quite sure where to post it. :)

I'm glad Windows Phone has worked well for you! I'm eager to get my hands on a high-end one and really give it a try.

My 2c is that the beauty of WP is that it provides a really good experience even with low end hardware.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Is he/she an Ozzy Osbourne fan? JK, I wish I had a GSM Pre laying around that I could send you. You'd be floored at how good an OS could be.

I have no idea of his musical tastes, since I've never talked about music with him, but I do remember Ozzy's commercials.

I never knew there was a GSM Pre. I know Sprint had the Pre, but I've always been an AT&T user, since they were Cingular. I never remembered seeing the Pre in AT&T stores.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something, but I never understood the appeal of BBM after services like iMessage have appeared. What's so much better about BBM?

BBM is an excellent communication app. It's much more than IM. Groups, channels, voice and video calls. It's more secure than many popular messaging apps. And unlike iMessage, it's cross-platform (or will be as of July).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea of his musical tastes, since I've never talked about music with him, but I do remember Ozzy's commercials.

I never knew there was a GSM Pre. I know Sprint had the Pre, but I've always been an AT&T user, since they were Cingular. I never remembered seeing the Pre in AT&T stores.

"How many bloody Gs are there?" Classic Ozzy.

Actually there were Pre devices for AT&T and Verizon as well. Your comment about not seeing them speaks volumes about Palm's (later HP) demise.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
"How many bloody Gs are there?" Classic Ozzy.

Actually there were Pre devices for AT&T and Verizon as well. Your comment about not seeing them speaks volumes about Palm's (later HP) demise.

The AT&T store I visit most often is a corporate store, not an authorized seller. It is a rather large store that generally has a good selection of devices.

The last time I was there, I spotted 3 different employees who had the Nokia Lumia 1520 as their personal devices.

jorgemariom

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
My primary phone it is a Lumia 820 and sometimes I take my secondary phone a Blackberry Q5, really the pure OS and phone I prefer the Blackberry 10 due to the Hub, the swipe up to multitask it is great, sometimes I'm confused and swipe up in my Lumia, the big problem the blackberry don't have apps, but the OS only the OS it is great, just now I'm looking to change my 820 for a Lumia Icon
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos