Nokia X is better than Icon?

Quhi

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Of course no. But Nokia X supports glance in some way, though Icon does not. They said it is because of the price of the screen. Why then Nokia X has it? I just hope that by some miracle 930 will have glance.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
u basically not understanding the concept and types of the screens.
Icon and 930 have AMOLED screens (one of the best and costliest screen types). the technology doesn't support Glance. it's not device specific, but screen specific.
Nokia X has IPS LCD display which is an older technology and much cheaper.
i really don't understand why people are so upset for not having Glance.
check AMOLED screen while in the sun, u will find the true effect of AMOLED. if AMOLED doesn't gives u Glance, it can give u much better experience while reading, games, browsing as AMOLED display produces excellent quality picture and crisp text, with really awesome contrast ratio and really goes easy on ur eyes.

and to add, Glance anyways gonna eat ur battery. i am using 720, having Glance supported, but used only for a day to taste. with the phones (icon and 930 and X also) with endurance rating so low, i will not suggest to use Glance.
if u want Glance, and if it is a deal changer for u, go for some higher Endurance rated phone such as 720, 1320 or 1520. and all these support Glance.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
u basically not understanding the concept and types of the screens.
Icon and 930 have AMOLED screens (one of the best and costliest screen types). the technology doesn't support Glance. it's not device specific, but screen specific.
Nokia X has IPS LCD display which is an older technology and much cheaper.
i really don't understand why people are so upset for not having Glance.
check AMOLED screen while in the sun, u will find the true effect of AMOLED. if AMOLED doesn't gives u Glance, it can give u much better experience while reading, games, browsing as AMOLED display produces excellent quality picture and crisp text, with really awesome contrast ratio and really goes easy on ur eyes.

and to add, Glance anyways gonna eat ur battery. i am using 720, having Glance supported, but used only for a day to taste. with the phones (icon and 930 and X also) with endurance rating so low, i will not suggest to use Glance.
if u want Glance, and if it is a deal changer for u, go for some higher Endurance rated phone such as 720, 1320 or 1520. and all these support Glance.

Huh? My NL 925 has AMOLED screen and it supports glance. I have it.

There's other reasons harwardware specifics I believe.

And no Nokia x is no where near better than the icon.

Quhi

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a lumia 820, it is a juicy amoled and yet it has glance. The could spend some more bucks to use a better screen for Icon.

simon.b

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
There sure are technical reasons for no glance screen but AMOLED is not the reason.
Actually AMOLED is the most suitable technology for glance screen since a black pixel on an AMOLED screen is off and there is no backlight since each pixel emits light individually. LCD needs backlight turned on for glance. You can see the difference quite well. On an LCD equiped lumia you will see how the backlight is on in a dark room while on the AMOLED screens it looks completly black.

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
AMOLED works fine with glance as others have said. From what I remember reading, for cost reasons Nokia did not opt for the memory chips for the screen. Those chips retain the glance info so the main system can go to a more power efficient state. I'm probably an not 100% accurate in my description since it's from memory, but that that was the general idea.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
and thus i agree with "quhi", the original poster of this thread, that the reason is cost.
may be the cost is higher with AMOLED, or Icon and 930 and those others already well priced, adding up the cost just for Glance screen may not be working in Nokia's price and demand model.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
The lack of Glance support on the Icon and 930 has nothing to do with AMOLED or IPS LCD. The 1020 has an IPS LCD screen and supports Glance, the 928 has an AMOLED screen and supports Glance. There is a part missing from the screens used on the Icon and 930, something to do with display memory or lack of.

The Nokia Lumia 930 does not have Glance, here?s why The problem with the Nokia Icon/930 and running Glance comes down to the display type. No, it?s not the AMOLED technology (the Lumia 928 proves otherwise) and it?s obviously not the 1080P resolution (the Lumia 1520 attests to that) but rather it?s the type of AMOLED screen used. More to the point, the screen used on the Lumia Icon/930 lacks ?display memory?. Long story short, in order for Glance to work, it needs display memory to maintain the information presented by the program.

The Nokia Lumia Icon and 930 do not have Glance, here’s why | Windows Phone Central

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I had Glance on my 925, and honestly, it wasn't that big a deal
I am not missing Glance on my Icon. It's not needed.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Does the Icon still not support double tap to wake? Glance I could go without (as others have mentioned, it should almost bypass the lock screen if not using a PIN, etc) but DTTW is a must now.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you're very misunderstanding regarding AMOLED screen technology. FYI, AMOLED display will suffer under direct sunlight compared to IPS LCD

Not as true anymore -- the 928 (and 925, 1020, and presumably Icon) use newer AMOLED panels, the Nokia polarization tech, and if you have sunlight readability enabled they (very quickly) kick in a higher brightness and higher contrast mode.

It works really well and is something I definitely appreciate, it kicks on practically instantly and means I don't care if I'm outside at high noon looking at my phone.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Not as true anymore -- the 928 (and 925, 1020, and presumably Icon) use newer AMOLED panels, the Nokia polarization tech, and if you have sunlight readability enabled they (very quickly) kick in a higher brightness and higher contrast mode.

It works really well and is something I definitely appreciate, it kicks on practically instantly and means I don't care if I'm outside at high noon looking at my phone.

That is correct. I can read the screen on my Icon quite easily under direct sunlight. With or without sunglasses. Here in Hawaii, that makes a big difference.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you're very misunderstanding regarding AMOLED screen technology. FYI, AMOLED display will suffer under direct sunlight compared to IPS LCD
i am really not sure about this. some things are beyond this, such as Nokia ClearBlack technology. AMOLED definitely does not suffer. and i am not talking about newer phones. i am still having and using my old Nokia 800 along with my Lumia 720. AMOLED display is awesome. brightness and contrasts are unbeatable by IPS LCD, even in sunlight. i don't understand the technology, but what i understand is practical effect for sure. 800 is definitely have better readability in sunlight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos