06-27-2014 07:27 PM
46 12
tools
    Wolfson has low end DAC's just like any other company. Just cause they're Wolfson doesn't mean it a high end DAC. At all.

Not hating, I just don't think people realize that sometimes.
    06-23-2014 08:40 PM
    Wolfson has low end DAC's just like any other company. Just cause they're Wolfson doesn't mean it a high end DAC. At all.

Not hating, I just don't think people realize that sometimes.
    The Wolfson DAC in the Note II is pretty good, but they were bought out by Cirrus Logic recently so I expect the playing field to be leveled some time in the near future. I've never been big on the sound from Qualcomm soc's, but I started using Viper4Android on my Nexus devices recently and it sounds fantastic.
    06-23-2014 08:49 PM
    Funny I switched from android to WP and I absolutely love my 1520 and 8.1 just enhanced the experience my Moto X is my drawer resting. My only big problem with android is the OS is not unified as I type this if all devices got the Kit Kat 4.4.3 update everything would be gravy
    06-23-2014 10:22 PM
    On the contrary, the thing I thought I would hate, I actually loved the most...TRANSPARENCY. In WP, you can uninstall carrier bloatware with the press of a button and in Android, obviously a root is required, so I was unable to get rid of the bloatware, but I was able to download Permission Manager, turn off carrier apps, opt out of personal ads, personalization of keyboard (done by 3rd parties), and everything else that I wanted to do for my own peace of mind. I was happy that Google at least formed some level of transparency, and said, Hey we use cookies and an advert. ID, but you can opt out of the tracking as much as possible. You can deny permissions, you can do whatever you want...its YOUR phone! For this reason alone, I will be back to Android! Not the apps, games, Googlesphere, etc. but the simple fact that I was given the option to be as public or private, as simple, or as custom...

To conclude, everyone (at least I did) says that Google is a privacy monster...and that may be true, but I now realize that to have a completely personal smartphone experience, you have to share your interests, activities, family, LIFE, etc...even Cortana will require to "learn" more about WP users if they want to have an optimal experience...so give me a lag-free or nearly lag-free experience and I'll be back!
    I quit Android for WP precisely why you liked Google...and call it a 'privacy monster'... Google forces you into a G+ profile, forces your photos there, using your real name, forces you to consolidate your Youtube account under their 'One Google' initiative...all for the sake of convenience, when its really so they can track your every move, and translate that information into $$.

So...I find them to be quite the opposite of the 'privacy monster' you do...and why I moved to WP.
    06-24-2014 05:33 PM
    I use WP and Android, but windows phone is my number 1
    06-24-2014 05:40 PM
    After reading a few of the posts it became so clear to me. The Android experience can't be fully realized until the device has been rooted and a custom ROM installed. At least that's the message I get from reading the posts. Use this launcher, use this ROM, upgrade the kernel, overclock it, etc. Is this really necessary? Is it an indictment of Android if it doesn't work properly out of the box?

WP is far from perfect, heck it's far from really good, but at least it works.
    Tjarren likes this.
    06-24-2014 06:41 PM
    It isn't necessary to customize an Android phone to make it work properly. You read a lot about people doing that on the internet, but they're the minority. People tend to go a bit crazy because the OS is so flexible, but most people don't.
    06-24-2014 07:24 PM
    After reading a few of the posts it became so clear to me. The Android experience can't be fully realized until the device has been rooted and a custom ROM installed. At least that's the message I get from reading the posts. Use this launcher, use this ROM, upgrade the kernel, overclock it, etc. Is this really necessary? Is it an indictment of Android if it doesn't work properly out of the box?

WP is far from perfect, heck it's far from really good, but at least it works.
    Well, you're right in the sense that Android is extremely customizable...but ask most Android users, and they'll tell you that they don't root their devices. Matter of fact, I'll almost bet that rooters are in the minority. As far as launchers...i see launchers as to Android as custom start screens are to WP... Just another way to personalize your phone. Lastly, WP doesn't "work" for everyone. In my case, my phone is unusable at times (literally)..its been having SIM card issues and WiFi connectivity issues for some time now. Throw in the sinking data (I'm now down to 1gb left) from the other storage issue, and I'm left with a beautiful, expensive paperweight! Its actually sad when you think about it...
    06-24-2014 07:32 PM
    Wow, double post.
    06-24-2014 07:44 PM
    I just left Android for WP. Had a G2 and sold it to buy a 925. Not the best WP in the world but it will get me by until a new one come to T-Mobile.

As far as having to root your device to get the best Android experience, no. In fact I would advise against it because it brings more headaches and bugs than it's worth.

Bugs. This is the reason I left Android. Not some stupid privacy or malware complaints. It's just freaking buggy. Apps crashing constantly, whole phone crashing... Now I realize that in the world of technology these things will happen, on any platform. And I'm very familiar with Windows desktop so I know it's not free from bugs.

But Android, and Google in particular have gotten so bad I couldn't use it anymore. Google develops some of the best looking, most feature packed software. But they just can't make it work good. Google music, YouTube, and the play store have been almost unusable for weeks. Xbox music has been worlds better. Even YouTube on the desktop won't load videos half the time still. Screw Google their developers are terrible at what they do. Bottom line. Windows Phone just works.
    06-24-2014 08:02 PM
    That's funny, I've been using Android since Froyo came out, and I've never experienced apps or the OS crashing or being buggy. The G2, which you say you owned is really the same hardware as the Nexus 5.. Something I DO own.. it's been an awesome device.
    06-24-2014 08:10 PM
    That's funny, I've been using Android since Froyo came out, and I've never experienced apps or the OS crashing or being buggy. The G2, which you say you owned is really the same hardware as the Nexus 5.. Something I DO own.. it's been an awesome device.
    First of all, it's the same processor package, other than that they are not the same hardware at all. And I've had both.

And second... Huh? Are you really claiming to have used Android for several years and never experienced crashing??
    06-24-2014 10:23 PM
    Different users, different experience I guess. My fiance owns a brand spanking new S5, and literally hours later before she was going to bed she was complaining. She said it was freezing and it wouldn't unlock (I saw her trying to unlock it, it took 30 seconds to refresh and register all the unlocks/locks at one time). Sometimes the phone wouldn't lock either. I've seen her pull RH e battery more times than my phone has ran out of battery, and that's all within a month. Sadly there's no WP upgrade for Tmobile until fall, so I'm getting the G3 next month as well. I know its gonna be a **** show, but I really need to use this JUMP otherwise ill feel ripped off.
    06-24-2014 10:50 PM
    First of all, it's the same processor package, other than that they are not the same hardware at all. And I've had both.
    They have the same SOC, supposedly the same wifi/bluetooth chips, 2gb of ram each, they have different screens and camera's.

And yes, I've had an app occasionally crash. But let me again quote what you said.

It's just freaking buggy. Apps crashing constantly, whole phone crashing...
    This would only happen with faulty hardware. You're painting all Android devices with a very wide brush by claiming that this is how they act in general. It's simply not true.
    06-24-2014 11:12 PM
    They have the same SOC, supposedly the same wifi/bluetooth chips, 2gb of ram each, they have different screens and camera's.

And yes, I've had an app occasionally crash. But let me again quote what you said.

This would only happen with faulty hardware. You're painting all Android devices with a very wide brush by claiming that this is how they act in general. It's simply not true.
    Certain handsets are better than others, hardware wise. But the Android os in general is buggy and has force close often, including phones freezing and having to be reset/battery pulled. Often. Yes certain handsets perform better than others, at random. Many people get lucky and don't have many problems. But to say that ONLY defective hardware would cause those issues is untrue.

But to clarify. A lot of the specific issues I've been having lately are less an Android OS problem and more a Google problem. Across many devices that I've seen the play store has been having problems where it won't download apps, at random, for a day or two. Google play music servers freeze up and music stops all the time. YouTube buffers forever and requires multiple refreshes sometimes for a video to start. Even on the desktop which is a Google server problem again. I've also had conversations with others on Google plus experiencing the same problems.
    06-24-2014 11:52 PM
    i just bought a nexus 7 2012 model which was deemed a pretty good tablet by the tech world ..... it still lags on 4.4.3 and to be honest android is a bit of a mess and a proper data collector ..... it makes me happy to use my 1020 as my daily driver and has completely put me off buying a top end android phone ..... i will be sticking with windows phone and probably selling the nexus 7 and buying a surface2 or dell venue 8 or Toshiba encore 8

the only thing that does annoy me about windows phone is the quality of the apps , things like Skype , whatsapp , instagram and Skype should be equal to apps on other operating systems by now but they aren't , i find this a little worrying ..... then again on the flipside if i download an app on windows phone it works on android it might not ..... perfect example was a family guy app , windows phone i download it and every episode i clicked played , on android every episode i clicked didn't work , little things like that bug me with android and make me smile with windows phone

however as an operating system i much prefer it to android , how fluid it is , how its set up , how you can set it up without spending hours on a home screen because widgets are all different sizes and don't fit together well , its just much more tidy and makes more sense and its getting better and better , it isn't perfect but as another user said i find it a lot less buggy then android
    06-25-2014 12:51 AM
    Meh, Tegra in the Nexus 7 2012 was never that good. Nexus 7 2013 runs as smooth as my 1520.
    06-25-2014 02:37 AM
    i just bought a nexus 7 2012 model which was deemed a pretty good tablet by the tech world ..... it still lags on 4.4.3 and to be honest android is a bit of a mess and a proper data collector ..... it makes me happy to use my 1020 as my daily driver and has completely put me off buying a top end android phone ..... i will be sticking with windows phone and probably selling the nexus 7 and buying a surface2 or dell venue 8 or Toshiba encore 8

the only thing that does annoy me about windows phone is the quality of the apps , things like Skype , whatsapp , instagram and Skype should be equal to apps on other operating systems by now but they aren't , i find this a little worrying ..... then again on the flipside if i download an app on windows phone it works on android it might not ..... perfect example was a family guy app , windows phone i download it and every episode i clicked played , on android every episode i clicked didn't work , little things like that bug me with android and make me smile with windows phone

however as an operating system i much prefer it to android , how fluid it is , how its set up , how you can set it up without spending hours on a home screen because widgets are all different sizes and don't fit together well , its just much more tidy and makes more sense and its getting better and better , it isn't perfect but as another user said i find it a lot less buggy then android
    I just bought an Asus vivotab note 8, it's really nice. Wacom digitizer and built in stylus really come in handy and work really well. Great battery life too.
    06-25-2014 02:39 PM
    I just bought an Asus vivotab note 8, it's really nice. Wacom digitizer and built in stylus really come in handy and work really well. Great battery life too.

I was torn between that and the VivoTab RT. I really like having a Wacom stylus but the 8" screen just doesn't do it for me. I had the Acer W3 and despite the reviews it was a nice unit. But I couldn't get past the small screen especially in desktop mode. This RT is great and I love the keyboard dock. Because I scan a lot of documents on a daily basis, the 8MP camera with auto-focus and flash was the deciding factor.
    06-26-2014 06:14 PM
    I was torn between that and the VivoTab RT. I really like having a Wacom stylus but the 8" screen just doesn't do it for me. I had the Acer W3 and despite the reviews it was a nice unit. But I couldn't get past the small screen especially in desktop mode. This RT is great and I love the keyboard dock. Because I scan a lot of documents on a daily basis, the 8MP camera with auto-focus and flash was the deciding factor.
    I had a Sony xperia tablet z, and it was a little big for me. 10 inches is great for watching movies but not very portable. I actually use my vivotab more like a mobile device, my desktop is empty and I only use it when I have to. Like for example to use Google chrome to cast my videos to chromecast. It's really nice having the hybrid functionality of a touch based mobile device with the full capability of a PC. I don't miss Android tablets at all.
    06-27-2014 02:49 PM
    Oh no, Android tablets are not for me either. I did try out the Atrix phone with the lapdock but there was so much missing functionality that I couldn't make it a daily affair. The idea was good but the execution left much to be desired. It was a lot better than the Celio Redfly companion from the WM days but not having a touchscreen is still a no-no.
    Sent from my Ativ S Neo using Tapatalk
    anon(8938849) likes this.
    06-27-2014 07:27 PM
46 12