06-26-2014 11:35 PM
121 1234 ...
tools
    Being with the WP group since wp7, I can really see how at the begging people where more joining the group, now a lot of the post are about either leaving, or leaving and coming back, or when will be leaving. Stressing out the app gap and other hardware problems.....

I really really think that Microsoft should act very very soon if they want to save this.
    agion1 likes this.
    06-24-2014 12:50 PM
    I think it'd be quite shortsighted to leave the platform now, when it's getting an increasing amount of apps and updates and feature releases, and when Microsoft are really committing to communicate with it's users more.

As has already been said: "When it's pried from my cold, dead fingers."
    06-24-2014 12:56 PM
    I've been a WP supporter from the beginning (and even farther back, if one counts Zune and its iterations). Despite 8.1 and all that it brings, I feel like the app gap is about to push me over, to either Apple or Google. The thing is, I like technology. I am finding more and more products I want to invest in--especially in regards to the connected home and wearables--and none of them support WP. If I leave the platform, I will miss the UI greatly, but in terms of OneDrive, Office, Xbox, etc., I can get all of that on the other devices. Why stick with WP? Why do you? Are any of you in my boat? I would really like to hear thoughtful responses from people who don't hate the competitors but simply have a love of technology.

Thanks!
    Death is the only way to part-either us or the platform :D
    just kidding
    as long as their software and hardware standards are maintained,i will stick to WP
    06-24-2014 01:07 PM
    I'm not an app person. I like the fluidity of WP. Android is too cluttered for my taste, and well I am not a fan of Apple (wife told me she would divorce me if I ever buy an apple product).

WP works best for me, if I left I would hope BlackBerry was still around. For me its about productivity, and I believe that WP, and BB do that best.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    06-24-2014 01:31 PM
    I appreciate everyone's thoughtful responses. Things have definitely gotten better with WP, that is for sure. Still, the app gap as regards third-party technologies (hardware) that need custom apps to control them is wide. I'll still hold off to pull the trigger, since I do not yet view my wants as needs. When/if they become needs, I will re-assess. At one point I did have an iPhone 4 and a Lumia 1020 and simply swapped sims depending on the needs of the day. Most of the time, when I had the iPhone, I was irritated as to how the phone itself functioned. When I needed to be in a place where I needed to control my Nest and television (at work), I was glad I had the iPhone. In the end, my frustration with how the iPhone functioned as a smartphone was too great and I sold it. We'll see how it goes!
    06-24-2014 03:12 PM
    I had an iPhone 3g => Samsung Focus WP7 (actually really liked this phoone) => Lumia 920 (awesome). WPs have a great momentum right now and I'm pretty confident that it's only going to increase. I'm happy with the integration with MS services, other devices and xbox. IMHO some of the 3rd party apps are actually better. Nokia and WP have me for at least another purchase or two.

I understand about missing some apps though. My bank has yet to make one, grocery store, blah blah blah. For me, I have most of what I need and a lot of what I want, plus a stellar phone OS and camera. I signed up for Xbox music pass and was pleasantly surprised. I do hope they improve upon the UI though.

My contract is up in the fall and I hope there will be a WPhablet with active stylus in my future.
    06-24-2014 03:57 PM
    I appreciate everyone's thoughtful responses. Things have definitely gotten better with WP, that is for sure. Still, the app gap as regards third-party technologies (hardware) that need custom apps to control them is wide. I'll still hold off to pull the trigger, since I do not yet view my wants as needs. When/if they become needs, I will re-assess. At one point I did have an iPhone 4 and a Lumia 1020 and simply swapped sims depending on the needs of the day. Most of the time, when I had the iPhone, I was irritated as to how the phone itself functioned. When I needed to be in a place where I needed to control my Nest and television (at work), I was glad I had the iPhone. In the end, my frustration with how the iPhone functioned as a smartphone was too great and I sold it. We'll see how it goes!
    it all depends on your needs. I wish I could switch as needed between windows phone and BlackBerry. I miss my QWERTY.
    06-24-2014 03:59 PM
    I like the way the platform is moving about as of lately. This and the fact that I want to see where WP phone goes... I'm here for the long haul. Although I own other devices with other OSs, right now I feel that WP serves my purposes exactly. So, no abandonment for me!
    Guytronic likes this.
    06-24-2014 05:14 PM
    I haven't considered leaving WP until today. Apps have not bothered me at all up till now. But today my employer introduced new timekeeping. We can sign in and out etcetera online. And this includes mobile devices that are Android, Apple or BlackBerry.
    I'm not sure I'll leave because of this but I'm sure disappointed. It would be very convenient.
    I have since realized a way to get around the missing app.
    I went to IE and saved to favorite my company's timekeeping page. I can log in that way and not need an app at all.
    There are many other examples like this of not needing an app to do what you want.
    So I'm good with WP after all. I'm glad because
    I really like 8.1 on my Nokia 822!
    dgr_874 likes this.
    06-24-2014 06:21 PM
    And I pinned a small tile. How convenient that will be to sign in and out etc.
    dgr_874 likes this.
    06-24-2014 06:25 PM
    I won't ever abandon WP, it's more than an eco system to me considering how good 8.1 is. I managed to get the wife a 925 when she renewed her contract so everything ties in well now, family room is a godsend for keeping upto date with busy life's.

For me I still use my 1020 daily the quality of the pictures can't be beaten, my 1520 I mostly keep for the weekends when i'm out and about and want to grab a few mins playing some xbox games. I'm patiently waiting the 930 being released here so I can pick that up as my daily driver but I won't be selling my 1020 or 1520.

I have had Nokia's since my first phone and they just feel right, all through the years they have improved greatly and hate using anything else.

I've had the iPhone 5 as a previous work phone and it's lying in a drawer now as they gave me a new Galaxy S5. It was a totally different experience going back to android again and while it was a novelty for a few days, it's just a mess overall. I sometimes forward my calls so going through 4 or 5 menus to get to divert was unreal. For me WP 8.1 is more intuitive than anything apple and google can come up with.

So I won't ever leave WP for anything and Iove the direction it's going in now.
    Last edited by Brian McMahon; 06-24-2014 at 07:07 PM.
    06-24-2014 06:39 PM
    At what point will we quit caring so much about apps?

WP may abandon me before I ever abandon it.
    Exactly my position. If I get to feeling like WP is more of a hobby to them than it is important to me that would say to me that MS has left me. Jazmac will officially moonwalk smooth out the building. But I have no compunction to leave at this point.
    Guytronic and rmeigs like this.
    06-24-2014 06:57 PM
    Will wait and see what Windows McLaren is like compared to the latest Android and iPhone. If there's a significant gap then I go with whoever is leading, I've had enough of being a guinea pig and waiting and hoping and waiting...If MS cant fix their issues then Bollox to them.
    06-24-2014 06:58 PM
    I'm considering coming to Windows Phone from BlackBerry. I'll take WP's limited but good (and growing) native app catalog over BB10's newly declared dependency on the Android runtime and Amazon Appstore any day.

WP also has the best design language of the 4 major platforms, and Nokia hardware is great (when it works).

If I move to WP, but I see signs that it's going the way of BB, I'll probably jump ship to iOS.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk
    Guytronic and Editguy1900 like this.
    06-24-2014 08:59 PM
    I would never abandon WP I'd Microsoft keeps pushing updates for it and making it better
    Blu3V3nom07 likes this.
    06-24-2014 09:09 PM
    I'm considering coming to Windows Phone from BlackBerry. I'll take WP's limited but good (and growing) native app catalog over BB10's newly declared dependency on the Android runtime and Amazon Appstore any day.

WP also has the best design language of the 4 major platforms, and Nokia hardware is great (when it works).

If I move to WP, but I see signs that it's going the way of BB, I'll probably jump ship to iOS.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk
    came to WP from BlackBerry, the only thing I miss is the QWERTY. I was a SkyDrive user while on BB, however the integration was non existent, so being on WP with OneDrive helps me.

Maybe find an inexpensive WP on eBay and take it for a spin. The so called "app gap" has not bothered me.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    06-24-2014 09:20 PM
    I don't see any reason, especially at the rate it is getting even better than it already is, to abandon Windows Phone. I have all the apps I need, and the only one I want that's on other platforms is QuizUp, but an official version for it is currently being developed.
    06-24-2014 09:29 PM
    Not likely to go back to Android until the full Office suit is available for it free and it will seamlessly and smoothly integration with other Microsoft services. Right now, WP is just too easy and simple in my small business situation to make a change.
    06-24-2014 09:32 PM
    I'll never leave Windows Phone.
    sd173 likes this.
    06-24-2014 10:57 PM
    I'm a WP fanboy since day 1, my first smartphone was the Lumia 900 followed by the 920 a year later. But I got tired of being in a 2nd class ecosystem, so I got a Nexus 5 last summer and still using. I realize now that I'm too deeply enmeshed int he Google ecosystem(Maps, Youtube, mail, search, Now) to accept anything less then a fantastic native experience. When Windows Phone can equal or better that with Bing services, I might come back.
    06-24-2014 11:05 PM
    The thing is though, whenever something cool comes out that is tech related, WP either gets it a year or two late or NEVER. So right now we might have most of the main apps, but I'm sure when the next big app/game comes out, we won't see WP support, at least for awhile. As I'm younger, keeping up to date on apps is huge.
    Sent from my PlayStation 4 using Tapatalk
    Guytronic, sd173, jojoe42 and 1 others like this.
    06-24-2014 11:12 PM
    I'm happy with WP and have no intentions of leaving unless Microsoft decides to stop supporting or updating it. The one thing I'm unhappy about, though, is the Nokia X strategy. Maybe I don't understand what they are trying to do, but why offer a phone for about the same price as a low-end WP, with its own app store with many missing apps compared to Google Play and even the WP store using the garbage laggy OS their biggest competitor provides? I totally understand having their own apps multiplatform and completely support the idea of supporting Android and iOS for Microsoft apps as long as they support and update the WP apps as well, but why Nokia X? It just has me concerned that they are looking for backup strategy in case WP doesn't work out but these phones are going to offer a subpar experience compared to a Samsung, for example, and not sure why anyone would want to upgrade to a Lumia from the X.
    06-24-2014 11:30 PM
    True free offline maps, the inability to root/jailbreak WP OS (that is really a "plus" and not a "minus" with me) the stability, smoothness and simplicity of WP 8 are all reasons why I won't be leaving WP anytime soon.
    clvrbas likes this.
    06-24-2014 11:31 PM
    I did when ComiXology did. I gotta have my comics. I still have my Lumia 920 just in case they come back.
    06-25-2014 12:05 AM
    To be honest, Xbox Music is REALLY disappointing me.

I have 8 months left until my contract expires and if they don't do something about Xbox Music, sadly I have to say goodbye. This one's really a deal breaker.
    dgr_874, diego9016 and Great deal like this.
    06-25-2014 12:58 AM
121 1234 ...