At what point will you abandon WP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agion1

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I've been a WP supporter from the beginning (and even farther back, if one counts Zune and its iterations). Despite 8.1 and all that it brings, I feel like the app gap is about to push me over, to either Apple or Google. The thing is, I like technology. I am finding more and more products I want to invest in--especially in regards to the connected home and wearables--and none of them support WP. If I leave the platform, I will miss the UI greatly, but in terms of OneDrive, Office, Xbox, etc., I can get all of that on the other devices. Why stick with WP? Why do you? Are any of you in my boat? I would really like to hear thoughtful responses from people who don't hate the competitors but simply have a love of technology.

Thanks!

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really an app person. Basic social media, messaging, news apps are all sufficient for me. I like the simplicity and smoothness of the OS. Integration with other Microsoft services makes it ideal for me. The only thing i really think would cause me to leave is if MS significantly dropped support for the OS.

jbfoster61

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I too love Windows Phone but I am amost ready to leave and go back to Android.

I've been waiting for over a year for some apps.

I hate the laggyness of Android but Windows Phone is way to limited at this point in time.

Jim

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Same here. Been a fan since WP7. Love the UI. No complaints.
Except, development has been very slow. Even with 8.1 now which is still not "official", they're dragging this for a whole year and what do you get? Cortanta, Notifications, some other minor stuff which should of been straight out of the box. Cortana is very limited in certain areas too.

I don't have problems with the app count, they cover most of what i do but quality not so much. I still can't share a damn file with Skype and that disability alone is a big turn off. Sure I can send with whatsapp, email, but most of my clients contact me through Skype. I can't tell them to just wait and check their mail during a Skype conversation. Seriously. "My phone can't do that yet". WTF?

I love the UI, OneDrive, and all the other stuff WP users love but things are just too slow.
Like agion1 said, 3rd party hardware support is STILL VERY LACKING and with their development speed I don't really feel very confident for what's coming.

The way iOS8 has developed in ONE YEAR impresses me pretty much. I still don't like Android so iOS8 is very tempting right now.

Unless WP surprises us with something really quick I might just jump ship.

wpnokia920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've debated this alot myself. Even switched away a few times but I always come back. Knowing I can get the latest software regardless of phone is something android will never be able to do with so many skins. I have no problem supporting the smaller devs who create the apps we need. It may not be the official app but so many of them are higher quality. How can WP grow if ppl jump ship? I've found an app whether official or not for everyone I used on android.

twentythreee

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Hm, I always think about the same topic.
Only that my problem are not the apps (as I could make them myself in case one is missing), but the 8.1 OS itself, which sucks at some points.

However, you should only choose an OS which fits to your needs. If you can make your tasks fast with it, and get it out of your way, well than it could be the OS you want.
Some time ago (with 8.0) this was WP for me, but not anymore.
If you think an iPhone or Android phone or Ubuntu (;-)) would make more sense to you, than switch. Why not?
It's just a phone, and not your girlfriend!!

agion1

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate the feedback guys. I would not consider myself an "app man" but I do consider myself one who loves technology. I've been wanting to get my house connected for sometime. I looked at connected locks (Kwikset), sprinkler control systems, whole house audio, etc--there is no support and it will take a long time for there to be such support. I certainly do not care so much whether or not the app is official (though I would prefer it), but, for the items I am looking for, it is not there--regardless.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate the feedback guys. I would not consider myself an "app man" but I do consider myself one who loves technology. I've been wanting to get my house connected for sometime. I looked at connected locks (Kwikset), sprinkler control systems, whole house audio, etc--there is no support and it will take a long time for there to be such support. I certainly do not care so much whether or not the app is official (though I would prefer it), but, for the items I am looking for, it is not there--regardless.

This is an interesting area and something I have my eye on too, but not something I'm personally investing in any time soon. I'm sure MS will not let such an area go unaddressed. At least I'd hope they wouldn't ;)

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
If you "need" apps to make it through your day there is no discussion. Move over to other platforms. But if you like windows phone like you claim, stick around. The grass isn't always greener (as it sometimes seems).

Sent from my Surface 2 using Tapatalk

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I left WP for Android before and now I'm back on WP I won't "abandon" it any time soon, in fact I'm waiting for BBM and Barclays PingIt to be released next month and then I intend to ditch Android and Google from my life completely. As a backup I'll have a BB10 device instead.

Edward_g

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I haven't considered leaving WP until today. Apps have not bothered me at all up till now. But today my employer introduced new timekeeping. We can sign in and out etcetera online. And this includes mobile devices that are Android, Apple or BlackBerry.
I'm not sure I'll leave because of this but I'm sure disappointed. It would be very convenient.

VetDuarte

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I've been to iOS and Android for the last past years, and by December I tried WP for the first time. Nokia has some power over me, and I tend to feel compelled to buy it's products. I bought my first 1020, complete with Nokia Grip and all. It was a saturday, and by sunday I'd had it with the phone. It's shortcomings were just too much to bear.
Since selling it would set me back a great deal of money, I gave it to my wife, whose N8 (another device I bought and gave up) was diying.
I got back to my iPhone 5 for a while.
Last month, after fiddling with her 1020 a great deal, and reading a lot about 8.1, and seeing her taking awesome pics of our daughter with it (she knows even less than I do about photography, and I was then already sporting a S4 zoom!), I decided to jump into it yet again.
Got myself another 64GB Lumia 1020 and, apart from the poor Kindle app and some minor kwirks, I'm pretty happy.

Well...
I can assure you guys that people think the grass is greener outside from every OS. Android people want to go to iOS. iOS guys want to jump to Android. Both of them are very curious about WP - the only contender both admit publicly to, by the way.

So, changing OSs is a normal feeling in all platforms. I guess one must try them all and use whichever suits one's needs best. Anytime your needs or another OS change enough to prompt a change, then change.
Me? I'm very happy with the 1020. The camera is great, the phone is way better built than Apple's and Samsung's counterparts, and I can do almost as much as with iOS and Android.

Don't worry. You'll be welcome anywhere, anytime. ;^)
Enviado a 41 megapixels

lkbig

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
It's kinda interesting reading this thread as an Android user. (Nexus ****** no less). I am actually very seriously considering switching to Windows Phone depending on what flagship come out this year. I've been trying with the idea since the 920 came out but haven't been able to because of life circumstances.

Why am I considering switching? A big part is because I am bored. Android and iOS are like Republicans and Democrats: slightly different shades of the same brown. I mean that the two are becoming ever more the same as each other.

I'm not too terribly concerned about apps. I've already figured out what apps I actually use and find that the gap is only one or two apps. Big whoop.

As far as interface goes, I've always been attracted to what wp has going on.

Also, Google is starting to get crazy invasive. They always have been but they're even more blatant about it now. I am also starting to get sick of them generally. They're everywhere.

Either way, we will see what this fall brings but there is a good chance I'll be switching over in the next few months.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
think il abandon WP when hell freezes over or when they stop making phones, ive been a nokia user for..........(thinking)..............like ever, ive tried the rest but always come back to the best.

SunilJayant

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I loved how windows looked and worked over android so i choose lumia 925 over nexus was happy for few days .. love the windows phone 8.1..but , i don't know i love it at the same time i regret getting it...it is some how seems half baked.. don't care about app's that much few feature that i was used in android are missing in windows phone not deal breakers but annoyances that kind make you feel What............. No Bashing just my opinion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos