06-30-2014 11:21 PM
28 12
tools
    I wasn't a WP fan, but I've owned a Lumia 820 and fell in love with the OS. I'm using Windows Phone Dev Preview and I'm loving it, it's fast, pretty stable, and full of functionality (well, maybe not that much functionality), but I'm pretty much an app guy, and obviously, the app gap it's KILLING ME. I'm thinking on moving forward to iOS but I don't know if I should wait to see what is this "major thing" coming to Windows Phone (hopefully it'll be something related to software) or just make the change. What do you guys think? Should I stay or should I go?

I'm from Uruguay, so, if something is misspelled just let me know.
    06-29-2014 03:19 PM
    I wasn't a WP fan, but I've owned a Lumia 820 and fell in love with the OS. I'm using Windows Phone Dev Preview and I'm loving it, it's fast, pretty stable, and full of functionality (well, maybe not that much functionality), but I'm pretty much an app guy, and obviously, the app gap it's KILLING ME. I'm thinking on moving forward to iOS but I don't know if I should wait to see what is this "major thing" coming to Windows Phone (hopefully it'll be something related to software) or just make the change. What do you guys think? Should I stay or should I go?

I'm from Uruguay, so, if something is misspelled just let me know.
    I don't see any "APP GAP" any more, lots of official apps arrived on store & more to come.
    BTW, Decision is yours, no one pulling your back.. lol :D
    Editguy1900 and jomarr like this.
    06-29-2014 03:24 PM
    My honest advise would be to keep your windows phone and get an iphone as well. That way you'll get to use the best of both worlds :)
    06-29-2014 03:35 PM
    If I keep my Lumia wouldn't it be better to get an iPod? With the new prices it's a tempting option don't you think?
    06-29-2014 03:42 PM
    The Apps is up to the developers if they want to develop on this platform. MSFT does not control this.

Eventually dev's will come to this platform. But this will take some time and don't expect it anytime soon. If you are a app person you better off with iOS.

But stay tuned to WP. Windows Phone is getting better and better.
    06-29-2014 03:47 PM
    Title should read 'Moving backward to iOS!!" LOL......
    06-29-2014 03:55 PM
    Could you name the apps you need
    06-29-2014 03:57 PM
    Sure:
    VSCO Cam (there are other options, yes, but no one gives you the results this app gives)
    SoundCloud (an official one, because some artists won't let you hear their songs from third party apps)
    Snapchat (I know we have Huyn's option, but it's a third party app and I don't know if it'll get full integration with the OS)
    Preguntados (it's a trivia game powered by facebook here in south america)
    MercadoLibre (it's like eBay)
    And the list goes on.
    I know this it's not up to Microsoft, but I'm pretty sure that they can put under pressure some developers to bring their apps to the platform.
    4ny0n3 likes this.
    06-29-2014 04:35 PM
    I did the same move a couple of weeks ago. I am glad I moved, but my icon is faithfully waiting in my drawer for this "big thing." What I do miss from WP though: deep email integration, driving mode, and the swipe keyboard. I got over it though.
    otromateo likes this.
    06-29-2014 04:57 PM
    I wouldn't do anything until the iPhone 6 hit the market. That will give you some time to decide.
    otromateo likes this.
    06-29-2014 05:25 PM
    I've tried a lot of phones and systems, you can't please everyone , only yourself..."app gap" lol makes me giggle when people say that! Isn't it better to be different instead of the same?
    Editguy1900 and otromateo like this.
    06-29-2014 05:30 PM
    Of course it's better to be different, that's the main reason I've bought my Nokia Lumia. But when talking about apps I think we all want (deserve) the same functionality.
    06-29-2014 05:43 PM
    When different is better off effing course it's better, but when it isn't better then it's just stupid.

As much as i love my Lumia920... the app gap is real, the quality app gap is real and the app's features gap is real.

The struggle is real.
    otromateo, Chregu and wapoz like this.
    06-29-2014 06:13 PM
    When different is better off effing course it's better, but when it isn't better then it's just stupid.

As much as i love my Lumia920... the app gap is real, the quality app gap is real and the app's features gap is real.

The struggle is real.
    Depends on your needs and uses. I have absolutely no "app gap". Everything I need is there, and of good quality. But I know that some people want other things and if it's that important to them, I don't even understand why they ask these questions (unless they want someone to talk them out of leaving).
    otromateo, wphashan and BobLobIaw like this.
    06-29-2014 06:30 PM
    Depends on your needs and uses. I have absolutely no "app gap". Everything I need is there, and of good quality. But I know that some people want other things and if it's that important to them, I don't even understand why they ask these questions (unless they want someone to talk them out of leaving).
    They ask because they are unsure and are looking for others opinions on it. Not everyone is confident in their decision making abilities.........
    06-29-2014 09:29 PM
    They ask because they are unsure and are looking for others opinions on it. Not everyone is confident in their decision making abilities.........
    I get that, but we're talking about freaking phones, not buying a house. Do they need someone to help them pick out the clothes they wear?
    BobLobIaw likes this.
    06-30-2014 01:39 AM
    I get that, but we're talking about freaking phones, not buying a house. Do they need someone to help them pick out the clothes they wear?
    You do understand that not many can buy a new phone every few months. For example, I have a Lumia 520 & I'll have to keep it for at least 2 years before purchasing a new phone. Hence it's important to choose the right phone & get as many opinions as possible.

As for the subject of clothes, I do take suggestions from my family members about what I should wear. This helps me a lot.
    06-30-2014 01:50 AM
    If I keep my Lumia wouldn't it be better to get an iPod? With the new prices it's a tempting option don't you think?
    I agree with this. I still keep my iPod(music+apps only device) along with my phone(...an Android Huawei :))
    06-30-2014 06:19 AM
    Well..to some extent this could be a first time major purchase for some,and in today's economy it never hurts to get a idea for one😉
    06-30-2014 10:35 AM
    ...but it's a third party app....
    I read comments like this and scratch my head. If the app does the same thing as an official app and gets attention by the developer, who cares if it's third party?
    06-30-2014 04:32 PM
    I compare WP apps to IOS and android apps to automotive ac ....its true IOS and android have cold ac while WP just got a crank handle to roll down the windows. Sure if you go about 60mph with the windows rolled down sure you will kinda cool down but damn.....here in sunny Florida....you need ac!
    wapoz likes this.
    06-30-2014 04:41 PM
    It really depends on what apps you "need" and how big of a factor that is for you. With WP's current market share they are not going to have a lot of the smaller niche apps.

All of the big players seem to be available already on WP. There may be some variation in quality, but I can run Facebook, Instagram, Netflix, Temple Run, Angry Bird and dozens more on my phone the way it is.

I have an iPhone for work and I **hate** it. The phone is the size of a potato chip and the UI is bland as can be.

I don't see me leaving WP any time soon, but if I did it'd be for big, fragile Samsung.
    06-30-2014 05:18 PM
    I did this. The only app I use on the iPod Touch is one for a grocery store's coupon access. Other than that, it just sits there.

Since you've been using WP for a while, I'll bet that when you use iOS as your daily driver, you'll just end up getting impatient with the amount of taps and hunting you need to do just to get something done. WP is fast. But, as you say apps are your thing you may end up being happier. Then again, what apps do you need that isn't on WP?
    06-30-2014 05:48 PM
    I'm also from Uruguay and I don't find a lot of problems regarding the app gap... I have what I need and what my Android/iOS friends tell me is new.

Dunno why I'm talking in English with you, yet!
    06-30-2014 07:44 PM
    I read comments like this and scratch my head. If the app does the same thing as an official app and gets attention by the developer, who cares if it's third party?
    You could wake up tomorrow and find that the service provider has decided to block third-party apps, or the lone developer was abducted by aliens, or whatever. It's not the same level of predictable support as you have from an official app.
    wapoz likes this.
    06-30-2014 09:15 PM
28 12