So while getting AT&T's help with something on my phone, I chatted up the sales clerk while I was waiting for my phone to do something. Long story short, we got to talking about the Fire phone and since no one was in the store, she said "here, we got our test unit, let me show you" and she let me use it for like a half hour since no one was in the store and..... Just like the title says, it kind of sucks.

The UI was pretty clunky and it felt like a mixture of all of the bad parts of BB10 and Android mixed together in a clunky interface.

Things that really stood out that I didn't like:

1) the 3D implementation that they used to "make things more intuitive" seemed almost random. I would hold the phone a certain way and sometimes the taskbar would show up, but it wouldn't come back when I tried to recreate it.

2) the "tilt" feature where you tilt your phone to one side to see notifications or to the other side to show a menu (for things that sometimes didn't really need their own part of that menu, just an app or something) is waaay too sensitive. You better make sure to hold the phone perfectly still or turn it off while you're moving. Otherwise, you'll keep activating it.

3) Here's how to close an open app (since there's no multitasking screen). Go to settings -> applications -> manage applications -> filter by cached applications -> select application -> force close..... FOR ONE APP. You have to do that for every app. Now Mayday told me that the app gets killed automatically when you close it, so basically there's no multitasking.

4) I realize this is hypocritical, but the app selection was pretty bad. Even the other store clerk said that it was laughable.

5) design. It's way too thick.

Things I did like:

1) the 3D lock screen

2) Mayday. That thing is so cool!!

Anyways, that's my initial impressions. I'm thinking we'll be safe from the Amazon phone.
    Last edited by Jas00555; 07-11-2014 at 03:51 PM.
    07-11-2014 03:35 PM
    Fire phone is just a forked Android phone.
    07-23-2014 09:25 AM
    If Microsoft would have released a phone with a 3D interface, it would have received the same criticism as the Fire Phone. It's a terrible gimmick.
    07-24-2014 05:03 AM
    Still have never held one. Thx for the info!

Did I understand you correctly, that switching from one app to another automatically terminates the previous app?
    07-24-2014 05:25 AM
    I like Amazon, but they are a services company. I wish they would concentrate on making really good apps for all of their products on every platform they can. Having a really high quality app on practically any device with a screen would keep them front of attention for anyone, especially anyone who already pays for an Amazon Prime account.

I don't see anyone really itching to own a Fire phone.
    07-30-2014 04:08 PM