08-01-2014 07:38 PM
114 12345
tools
    I don't like the operating systems themselves. As I've said before, the only thing that Apple and Android have going for them is the wealth of apps. I don't necessarily hate the platforms, but I do get frustrated with WP not being recognised as a mature platform. Yes, the app gap is closing and we're getting more and more apps, but it's not going fast enough for me.

For example here in the UK, there's no WP apps for Now TV, Sky go, Wuaki.tv. Furthermore, the lack of decent apps does my head in too, such as pinterest and beamly. Beamly is an app I'd use every single day, but its simply a web wrapper. Cheap and nasty and I don't understand why Microsoft would want apps like these. They're hardly good quality :\

Lately I've been considering buying an ipod touch to use alongside my 630, but considering it costs 160 and my 630 only cost me 80, I just can't justify spending that kind of money. It's a disgrace and I refuse to pay 160 to just get some apps that are not available on WP.

I don't have any issues with Microsoft itself, just the companies that don't recognise WP as a proper platform.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    07-30-2014 04:47 AM
    At least here in the US, Sailfish and Jolla are non-existent. One cannot purchase devices in carrier stores or from carriers' websites, which is how we generally buy smartphones here in the US.

webOS is dead, other than in LG smart TVs. There are no new webOS smartphones being manufactured anymore.
    The HP Pre 3 was one hell of a phone though! :)
    07-30-2014 04:55 AM
    I like iOS and Android. That said, I just like Windows Phone better ;)

That said, I have gripes with both of the big two. iOS is simply too bright design-wise. Android has pulled together beautiful design, but still cannot pick a don't that doesn't look downright awful from my point of view.
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    07-30-2014 05:12 AM
    Reading the threads and comments I've noticed there's a lot of ill feelings towards other OS's, especially Android.
    Yes exactly, I am really thankful that you pointed this out. People often spoke ill of other OSes, while they don't think of the good selling points of these OSes.
    For example, Apple is design centric, Android is very open for deep access of systems, & WP is beautiful and fast. Each and every conversation starts with either "I hate this" or "I hate that".
    07-30-2014 05:26 AM
    Do you mean Firefox OS? webOS as a smartphone platform is dead. webOS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Sorry
    And
    Yes Firefox OS
    07-30-2014 06:49 AM
    webOS?

If you mean Firefox OS i think right now is facing serious competition from Android, there is $50 phones like the Samsung Duo and L series from LG... granted those phones maybe are POS, but for now, Firefox OS can't beat the app selection and popularity of Android.

Heck, even WP is trying to capture the low end market with the L530, in a couple of months the prices of that phone will go down as low for $50... just like the L520.

About, Jolla... well we just see how it goes but i have my doubts, just remember that mobile OS needs a powerful backer, like Google with Android, even MS is struggling with WP and powerful Samsung seems to giving up on Tizen.
    Ok
    I agreed.

But my point is that
    Android and iOS are threat to WP.
    That is why wp fans hate Android & iOS.

Other than this ...... no reason to hate them.

Some fans bring excuse like Google is not going anything for WP that is why they hate but actually this is not the reason.
    07-30-2014 06:58 AM
    I use all three OSes but prefer WP for phone, Android for tablet. iPad is used by other members of the family.
    07-30-2014 07:03 AM
    All I can is you've never been to the AppleInsider forums. Never see such a lot of brainwashed people with total closed mindedness. There, if anything even remotely doesn't sing 100% praise of Apple then you get nuked or beaten up on.

WPCentral forums are incredibly open minded and a bunch of mostly friendly people.
    Yeah right, are you blind?

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    07-30-2014 08:07 AM
    i hate android and iphones in a way
    i like stock android but its very boring,
    iphones are overrated and my friends who tout iphones constantly try to act superior etc and call any non-iphone slow ,ugly etc
    my android touting friends act as though ios and wp are limited etc and havent used anything other than android and love piracy,roms,launchers etc
    i myself have alot of devices- L720,L820,Moto E,Nexus 7,Nexus 5,Galaxy Note 2,ipads(2,3,4) and a lenovo android tab
    while ios is a great os on the ipad and i absolutely love it (and windows and windows phone :D ) ,android is a clutter,messy and though flexible,it lacks a certain premiumness
    i dont mean to hurt anyone with my comments :) nor am i generalising about the users of ios and android,but am stating what i observed myself with each os and my friends using them
    They don't sound like very good friends.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    07-30-2014 08:25 AM
    As a Technologist/Computer Scientist Geek who makes his living with..... Technology, yeah not really into the hate thing.

How about some perspectives, instead?

I tend not to do iOS/Apple stuff... it's a personal choice like I choose not to eat liver - don't like the taste. Apple, yeah not a big fan of closed universes where I'm told to believe and do... well, what others believe and do. Now be very careful here, this is Not a slam against Apple.
    For lots of people, that stuff works. I have no hate there for that... that leads to the "Dark Side" of being a fanboy. There's a lot to like about things Apple (my 1st computer was an Apple... back in the ancient days before the creation of the Internet).

Android.... it's not liver... it can be a difficult path that is not for everyone. This is part and parcel because of it's openness and where it's roots come from and where folks took the OS. I've done Technology across more kinds of OS's and Systems than most would have ever even known existed. And part of that long journey over the pass 30 years? (Gee 30! Longer I suspect than most of you have been alive) included trips through Unix/C++/Linux/Java... ah Yes, the roots where Android comes from.
    That probably does not mean much to a lot of folks... it's deep geeky stuff where the Tech magic comes from The bottom line, here, a lot of the gee... "that's complicated" "not very friendly" "Why are there So many ways to do something" feeling you get with Android comes directly from it's "Unix/C++/Linux/Java" heart. This is how that path has always been.
    It has improved vastly since the days of Terminal/Command line where you had to "ls -l | grep device*printer >$system" - Again not a slam against Android. It has lots of ability... and lots of ways to get lost trying to find what works for you. It's an Adventure! My day to day main mobile tech is Android.... it works just fine for me (but I am a Scientist/Engineer).

And even though this is not in the topic title...

Then we have Microsoft, ya no hate there either. Yes, I have a long long history with things Microsoft. This stretches back to some of it's other mobile platforms. Anyone remember Windows CE? Anyone? Or how about those things called PDA's (Personal Digit Assistants)? Yeah, "OLD FOLKS" tech before the days of i(whatever), things connected to Cellar systems, and Googling the cyber universe.
    Yeap, A "Microsoft Tech Heavy".... oh my, I'm I one of those? Windows Phone (the next generation) is in it's evolving period... what's not to like about that? In many ways, it's a bigger adventure... at least to me (remember? Microsoft Tech Heavy?), because I know this stuff from the inside track.
    Even in the days of the Big Systems work I did and still do... The PC and that Toy Operating System (as my peers called it)... Ya, I was that Geek in the building. Windows Phone... yes, got one of those too. It's like having "Mobile Desert"... a device where I can explore and expand my engineering with this new "Toy".

There is one thing I "Hated" that involved something mobile.... last summer when I dropped my Note II in the Atlantic... while of course the water protection case was sitting next to the beer cooler... and they call these things "Smart Phones"? No matter how "Smart" the engineering... can't fix the dumb human (yes, I'm having that put on my tombstone!)

~ScottGeek.

ps... before someone trolls at me about iOS also being from the Unix/Linux cut just like Android... yes, that I know. The primary difference when comparing what Apple does versus Google comes down to how and what is controlled with these "forks" of Linux. One is more controlled and closed (Apple) than the other (Google). There are good and bad things with both approaches. Choice is a good thing... especially if you are in a hating mood about something...
    07-30-2014 10:18 AM
    OS X (and by extension, iOS) is Mach based (as it originated from NeXTSTEP). Mach is a totally different flavour of Unix kernel, so can't ever be considered a fork of Linux.
    Laura Knotek and ScottGeek like this.
    07-30-2014 10:21 AM
    OS X (and by extension, iOS) is Mach based (as it originated from NeXTSTEP). Mach is a totally different flavour of Unix kernel, so can't ever be considered a fork of Linux.
    This is why "Forks" is in quotes and the "Unix/Linux" is a blob.... meaning I loosely reference the "Unix Universe"... It is interesting how that Universe has changed over the years.... I did work in the HPUX labs (that yet another "flavour" of Unix) for a time. I though it was curious how some of my code ended up in Linus's non-Unix OS :) I didn't and don't particularly care either way... and Yes I come before the days of a good bit of that "Unix Universe".

At the end of the day, everything comes from some beginning.... all of these Operating Systems have been re-written and re-coded so many times that I would be very surprised that even a single line of code survives from those old days. Why would it? The Hardware is not the same... and in most "Unix" ways of thinking... backward compatibility? It's relative thing :) as long as command shells do mostly what they always do/did?

Lots of folks like being very precise in their wording about this not being that... and oh no... this is new. Well that's important in many regards of course. But sometimes it's good to step back from some that... and gain the wide perspective. This helps you become an even better Engineer.... and sometimes a less dumb human being... if you're lucky

~ScottGeek.
    David P2 and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-30-2014 11:22 AM
    I dont hate any of the platforms, simply because I prefer not to hate anything... That life choice stems from my military experience where I had convinced myself to hate just about everything in order to stay alive. But I digress...
    I am currently on my second Windows Phone. Started with 925 and now have 1020. I made the jump from Android out of pure boredom and I am fairly happy with my decision. I appreciated the fact that Android is an open source platform and that there are so many developers for it. I appreciated that there were so many things that could be "unlocked" by rooting the phone, and always wondered why those things were locked in the first place.
    My first android phone was the G1, and I had almost every Android phone made after that (not really, but over 20 in a few years). All were rooted, all had custom ROMS, all had custom features, etc. I enjoyed messing around with them.
    BUT, what I have found is that for the most part the Windows Phones have all the same features, and I dont have to mess with it at all... So for someone who has limited time, I get the same features without downloading and installing a new ROM every few weeks!
    07-30-2014 11:24 AM
    Nope.

I actually like all but there's nothing interesting in Android or iOS anymore. Windows Phone gets me excited.

Also, Windows Phone is the ONLY Mobile OS that I loved from the previews. I never liked iOS' dated design before 7 and Android's cluttered UI.

I admittedly have a Tab Pro 8.4 which I LOVE. Gorgeous screen, TouchWiz is great but laggy and the bountiful number of apps.

I wanted a Windows tablet but they are severely overpriced in my country so I got an Android.

I had an iPhone before and I loved it. It was too small for me so I got the 920. Now I'm with my second WP, the 1520 and I seriously love every bit of it.
    07-30-2014 11:31 AM
    I'm kinda neutral with iOs, but I think Android it's such an overrated OS.

It's the most unefficent among the mobile systems (it takes a quadcore to do even basic things), it drains more battery and it has the ugliest UI. I can't see how people could buy a 700 smartphone with that ugly UI.

I don't hate it, I just think it's overrated and it actually may be the worst OS between WP, iOs and Blackberry 10.

I only hate Samsung lol.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    I second this.In particular,i hate Samsung for their touchwiz bloat ,which made my galaxy s4(international version) running Android 4.4.2 ,lag from day 1 compared to the Lumia 520 i had back then.I mean it had cost me 4 times as much,it should work well out of the box without having to root and load that other ROM and all that crap.Gave up on Samsung after that and i am not going back EVER.

Not a fan of Google`s idea of using personal info for ads too,trust Microsoft more.In short,if you ask me which one i don`t like,it would be android.About iOS,well i would like to see it a bit more open,especially sharing to apps and hope they would satisfy their pricing more (unlocked version)4 inch iPhone 5s :P but have to admit their app ecosystem is the best,don`t really dislike the UI that much too.It is the Apple way,too much focus on ease to use.

I hope microsoft would do better in terms of integration of their services and offering the best on windows phone,love seeing progress made in that regard but there is a long way to go.Anyway,WP i a refreshing change from other OS and i like this journey and hope it goes on.I was always a fan of Nokia,so guess i`m a Microkia fan now ;)
    Beppe Gissi likes this.
    07-30-2014 11:44 AM
    I hope microsoft would do better in terms of integration of their services and offering the best on windows phone,love seeing progress made in that regard but there is a long way to go.Anyway,WP i a refreshing change from other OS and i like this journey and hope it goes on.I was always a fan of Nokia,so guess i`m a Microkia fan now ;)
    I think you will see a lot more effort put into "integration" of the Microsoft-sphere. It's definitely where MS is driving towards. It's sad that a lot of Nokia engineers got cut in the process. The push from the new CEO is to merge a lot of efforts around app development across the different MS hardware (PC, Tables, Phones, XBox). Hopefully, MS will take fewer mis-steps towards that goal (I'm still debating if some of my Enterprise apps really make sense to do on an XBox ) Doable? Absolutely.... Practical? Ummmm, well maybe more fun than Practical.... although, If I had a 3D printer and a kinect hooked to my phone and table and PC.... I could write an app for that

~ScottGeek.
    07-30-2014 12:06 PM
    I owned 2.5 Android phones before I bought my 822, and I own an android tablet. I've never owned any iOS devices, but we have 2 iPads, an iPhone and 2 iPod touches at my house.

I loved Android for a while, but it has never really matured into the kind of stable, reliable OS that I need for everyday use as a phone. The best, most modern Android phones can only dream of the kind of stability and consistently smooth operation that I get from my lowly 822. And frankly I'm tired of having to root and flash my devices to get the most out of them.

iOS is nice and stable, but frankly it has 3 major problems that would prevent me from ever buying an iPhone:

1. No live data on the home screen. Sorry, it's 2014, no excuse for not having this. I like to have live weather radar, upcoming calendar appointments, top news stories, and current stock quotes available at a glance on my home screen. Android can do this, WP can do this, why the hell can't iOS do this?
    2. That eco-system! My god, what a pain in the ***! Wanna get a song, gotta use itunes. Wanna watch a movie, gotta use itunes. No thanks, I like to have some choice.
    3. Holy hell, are iPhones over-priced. $700 for a phone with a 3.8" screen!!?? You can't be serious.

For me that leaves WP as the best option, even though I'm not much of a fan of the look of the live tiles.
    07-30-2014 12:10 PM
    I think you will see a lot more effort put into "integration" of the Microsoft-sphere. It's definitely where MS is driving towards. It's sad that a lot of Nokia engineers got cut in the process. The push from the new CEO is to merge a lot of efforts around app development across the different MS hardware (PC, Tables, Phones, XBox). Hopefully, MS will take fewer mis-steps towards that goal (I'm still debating if some of my Enterprise apps really make sense to do on an XBox ) Doable? Absolutely.... Practical? Ummmm, well maybe more fun than Practical.... although, If I had a 3D printer and a kinect hooked to my phone and table and PC.... I could write an app for that

~ScottGeek.
    Maybe those engineers will get picked up by Jolla and work on more of those awesome looking phones. Since it's mostly made up of ex-Nokia employees to begin with..
    ScottGeek likes this.
    07-30-2014 12:37 PM
    I really don't hate any system but I particularly hate its blinded fanboy and fangirl... FGS, they're very annoying...
    07-30-2014 01:04 PM
    I dont really use apple products and I don't hate them. But i have an Android tablet, I do hate it. Its UI is clunky and it restarts all the time.

DEFINITELY, I DONT TRUST ANDROID.
    07-30-2014 01:16 PM
    Maybe those engineers will get picked up by Jolla and work on more of those awesome looking phones. Since it's mostly made up of ex-Nokia employees to begin with..
    One can hope... the Nokia people have done some very nice things over the years.... good talent finds a place

~ScottGeek.
    07-30-2014 01:40 PM
    1. Android has far too many security holes.
    2. Android slows down the hardware a lot.
    3. Nexus is pricier in Europe than the US.
    4. Android UI is extremely user-unfriendly.
    5. Apple iPhone is made for teenage girls.
    6. All my PCs are running on Windows 8.1.
    7. I got Nokia Lumia 625 for only 49 new.
    8. Battery life and screen size matter also.
    9. So does 4G and so does a Full HD cam.
    10. To sum this up, there is no competition.
    07-30-2014 01:54 PM
    No...I love android OS..I have used windows, iOS and android and android is by far the best OS i have ever used. Windows comes second. The main thing about APKs is that you can actually use them on PC..there are many sites on internet providing tutorials on how to run apps like whatsapp on PC. but you can not do that with windows as there are no emulators available. I prefer to use whatsapp and instagram on PC..so android for me.
    07-30-2014 02:07 PM
    I have an iPad that I like for what it does, but would never have an iPhone with this OS on it. Had android for years and liked it quite a lot, never suffering the lagginess everyone complains about, just need to keep it clean, easy enough. But my icon is my fav device and I am fast becoming a WP fan. Love 8.1 and looking forward to another significant update next week. Live folders on screen should be very useful. WP FTW!!
    07-30-2014 02:20 PM
    I don't hate them, I just don't care for them. It's the people using them that causes me to express my opinion about them stronger than normal.

I had iPads, iPod Touches, an iPhone 4, several Android tablets and started with the Acer w500 to start along with my WM/WP7. Right around the time WP 7.5 and a few updates to Windows 8 on the tablet, I decided I really didn't care for the inelegance of Android which was riddled with security concerns because it was the wild wild west of the OSes, and the too simplistic/fiddly interface, hold your hands like a baby overpriced fashion accessory.

I find Windows Phone - particularly 8.1 along with things coming down the pipeline to be the very best. The only valid argument iOS/Android has is that WP's app store is still lacking, which is somewhat true because there are still (really 2) a couple apps I still need, but then again WhoTF needs a million apps available to them? I used to like to tinker with my phone (WM), but now I just need it to be fast and efficient. My L920 fits the bill, and although I still play around with other phones/tablets, I find that iOS (mainly)/Android users are so dismissive of WP and to a greater extent MS. They won't even try it, and they'll make statements how it's a **** platform because they'll repeat what they've read by like-minded bloggers. Google Android specifically for their wanting to kill off WP by not offering their apps/services to the platform - that just makes me hate on Google as if it was a person, but instead of making me want to switch I have migrated my services from Google to MS sans GMail for now.

Anyways, /rant.
    07-30-2014 02:48 PM
114 12345