Do you hate Android/iOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
OS X (and by extension, iOS) is Mach based (as it originated from NeXTSTEP). Mach is a totally different flavour of Unix kernel, so can't ever be considered a fork of Linux.

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
OS X (and by extension, iOS) is Mach based (as it originated from NeXTSTEP). Mach is a totally different flavour of Unix kernel, so can't ever be considered a fork of Linux.

This is why "Forks" is in quotes and the "Unix/Linux" is a blob.... meaning I loosely reference the "Unix Universe"... It is interesting how that Universe has changed over the years.... I did work in the HPUX labs (that yet another "flavour" of Unix) for a time. I though it was curious how some of my code ended up in Linus's non-Unix OS :) I didn't and don't particularly care either way... and Yes I come before the days of a good bit of that "Unix Universe".

At the end of the day, everything comes from some beginning.... all of these Operating Systems have been re-written and re-coded so many times that I would be very surprised that even a single line of code survives from those old days. Why would it? The Hardware is not the same... and in most "Unix" ways of thinking... backward compatibility? It's relative thing :) as long as command shells do mostly what they always do/did?

Lots of folks like being very precise in their wording about this not being that... and oh no... this is new. Well that's important in many regards of course. But sometimes it's good to step back from some that... and gain the wide perspective. This helps you become an even better Engineer.... and sometimes a less dumb human being... if you're lucky :grin:

~ScottGeek.

socalgunner

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I dont hate any of the platforms, simply because I prefer not to hate anything... That life choice stems from my military experience where I had convinced myself to hate just about everything in order to stay alive. But I digress...
I am currently on my second Windows Phone. Started with 925 and now have 1020. I made the jump from Android out of pure boredom and I am fairly happy with my decision. I appreciated the fact that Android is an open source platform and that there are so many developers for it. I appreciated that there were so many things that could be "unlocked" by rooting the phone, and always wondered why those things were locked in the first place.
My first android phone was the G1, and I had almost every Android phone made after that (not really, but over 20 in a few years). All were rooted, all had custom ROMS, all had custom features, etc. I enjoyed messing around with them.
BUT, what I have found is that for the most part the Windows Phones have all the same features, and I dont have to mess with it at all... So for someone who has limited time, I get the same features without downloading and installing a new ROM every few weeks!

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Nope.

I actually like all but there's nothing interesting in Android or iOS anymore. Windows Phone gets me excited.

Also, Windows Phone is the ONLY Mobile OS that I loved from the previews. I never liked iOS' dated design before 7 and Android's cluttered UI.

I admittedly have a Tab Pro 8.4 which I LOVE. Gorgeous screen, TouchWiz is great but laggy and the bountiful number of apps.

I wanted a Windows tablet but they are severely overpriced in my country so I got an Android.

I had an iPhone before and I loved it. It was too small for me so I got the 920. Now I'm with my second WP, the 1520 and I seriously love every bit of it.

elmacho

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm kinda neutral with iOs, but I think Android it's such an overrated OS.

It's the most unefficent among the mobile systems (it takes a quadcore to do even basic things), it drains more battery and it has the ugliest UI. I can't see how people could buy a 700 ? smartphone with that ugly UI.

I don't hate it, I just think it's overrated and it actually may be the worst OS between WP, iOs and Blackberry 10.

I only hate Samsung lol.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

I second this.In particular,i hate Samsung for their touchwiz bloat ,which made my galaxy s4(international version) running Android 4.4.2 ,lag from day 1 compared to the Lumia 520 i had back then.I mean it had cost me 4 times as much,it should work well out of the box without having to root and load that other ROM and all that crap.Gave up on Samsung after that and i am not going back EVER.

Not a fan of Google`s idea of using personal info for ads too,trust Microsoft more.In short,if you ask me which one i don`t like,it would be android.About iOS,well i would like to see it a bit more open,especially sharing to apps and hope they would satisfy their pricing more (unlocked version)4 inch iPhone 5s :p but have to admit their app ecosystem is the best,don`t really dislike the UI that much too.It is the Apple way,too much focus on ease to use.

I hope microsoft would do better in terms of integration of their services and offering the best on windows phone,love seeing progress made in that regard but there is a long way to go.Anyway,WP i a refreshing change from other OS and i like this journey and hope it goes on.I was always a fan of Nokia,so guess i`m a Microkia fan now ;)

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I hope microsoft would do better in terms of integration of their services and offering the best on windows phone,love seeing progress made in that regard but there is a long way to go.Anyway,WP i a refreshing change from other OS and i like this journey and hope it goes on.I was always a fan of Nokia,so guess i`m a Microkia fan now ;)

I think you will see a lot more effort put into "integration" of the Microsoft-sphere. It's definitely where MS is driving towards. It's sad that a lot of Nokia engineers got cut in the process. The push from the new CEO is to merge a lot of efforts around app development across the different MS hardware (PC, Tables, Phones, XBox). Hopefully, MS will take fewer mis-steps towards that goal (I'm still debating if some of my Enterprise apps really make sense to do on an XBox :amaze:) Doable? Absolutely.... Practical? Ummmm, well maybe more fun than Practical.... although, If I had a 3D printer and a kinect hooked to my phone and table and PC.... I could write an app for that :excited:

~ScottGeek.

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I owned 2.5 Android phones before I bought my 822, and I own an android tablet. I've never owned any iOS devices, but we have 2 iPads, an iPhone and 2 iPod touches at my house.

I loved Android for a while, but it has never really matured into the kind of stable, reliable OS that I need for everyday use as a phone. The best, most modern Android phones can only dream of the kind of stability and consistently smooth operation that I get from my lowly 822. And frankly I'm tired of having to root and flash my devices to get the most out of them.

iOS is nice and stable, but frankly it has 3 major problems that would prevent me from ever buying an iPhone:

1. No live data on the home screen. Sorry, it's 2014, no excuse for not having this. I like to have live weather radar, upcoming calendar appointments, top news stories, and current stock quotes available at a glance on my home screen. Android can do this, WP can do this, why the hell can't iOS do this?
2. That eco-system! My god, what a pain in the ***! Wanna get a song, gotta use itunes. Wanna watch a movie, gotta use itunes. No thanks, I like to have some choice.
3. Holy hell, are iPhones over-priced. $700 for a phone with a 3.8" screen!!?? You can't be serious.

For me that leaves WP as the best option, even though I'm not much of a fan of the look of the live tiles.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I think you will see a lot more effort put into "integration" of the Microsoft-sphere. It's definitely where MS is driving towards. It's sad that a lot of Nokia engineers got cut in the process. The push from the new CEO is to merge a lot of efforts around app development across the different MS hardware (PC, Tables, Phones, XBox). Hopefully, MS will take fewer mis-steps towards that goal (I'm still debating if some of my Enterprise apps really make sense to do on an XBox :amaze:) Doable? Absolutely.... Practical? Ummmm, well maybe more fun than Practical.... although, If I had a 3D printer and a kinect hooked to my phone and table and PC.... I could write an app for that :excited:

~ScottGeek.

Maybe those engineers will get picked up by Jolla and work on more of those awesome looking phones. Since it's mostly made up of ex-Nokia employees to begin with..

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I dont really use apple products and I don't hate them. But i have an Android tablet, I do hate it. Its UI is clunky and it restarts all the time.

DEFINITELY, I DONT TRUST ANDROID.

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Maybe those engineers will get picked up by Jolla and work on more of those awesome looking phones. Since it's mostly made up of ex-Nokia employees to begin with..

One can hope... the Nokia people have done some very nice things over the years.... good talent finds a place :cool:

~ScottGeek.

coldmail-inlook

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
1. Android has far too many security holes.
2. Android slows down the hardware a lot.
3. Nexus is pricier in Europe than the US.
4. Android UI is extremely user-unfriendly.
5. Apple iPhone is made for teenage girls.
6. All my PCs are running on Windows 8.1.
7. I got Nokia Lumia 625 for only ?49 new.
8. Battery life and screen size matter also.
9. So does 4G and so does a Full HD cam.
10. To sum this up, there is no competition.

ferbecerra35

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
No...I love android OS..I have used windows, iOS and android and android is by far the best OS i have ever used. Windows comes second. The main thing about APKs is that you can actually use them on PC..there are many sites on internet providing tutorials on how to run apps like whatsapp on PC. but you can not do that with windows as there are no emulators available. I prefer to use whatsapp and instagram on PC..so android for me.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I have an iPad that I like for what it does, but would never have an iPhone with this OS on it. Had android for years and liked it quite a lot, never suffering the lagginess everyone complains about, just need to keep it clean, easy enough. But my icon is my fav device and I am fast becoming a WP fan. Love 8.1 and looking forward to another significant update next week. Live folders on screen should be very useful. WP FTW!!

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't hate them, I just don't care for them. It's the people using them that causes me to express my opinion about them stronger than normal.

I had iPads, iPod Touches, an iPhone 4, several Android tablets and started with the Acer w500 to start along with my WM/WP7. Right around the time WP 7.5 and a few updates to Windows 8 on the tablet, I decided I really didn't care for the inelegance of Android which was riddled with security concerns because it was the wild wild west of the OSes, and the too simplistic/fiddly interface, hold your hands like a baby overpriced fashion accessory.

I find Windows Phone - particularly 8.1 along with things coming down the pipeline to be the very best. The only valid argument iOS/Android has is that WP's app store is still lacking, which is somewhat true because there are still (really 2) a couple apps I still need, but then again WhoTF needs a million apps available to them? I used to like to tinker with my phone (WM), but now I just need it to be fast and efficient. My L920 fits the bill, and although I still play around with other phones/tablets, I find that iOS (mainly)/Android users are so dismissive of WP and to a greater extent MS. They won't even try it, and they'll make statements how it's a **** platform because they'll repeat what they've read by like-minded bloggers. Google Android specifically for their wanting to kill off WP by not offering their apps/services to the platform - that just makes me hate on Google as if it was a person, but instead of making me want to switch I have migrated my services from Google to MS sans GMail for now.

Anyways, /rant.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Lately I've been considering buying an ipod touch to use alongside my 630, but considering it costs ?160 and my 630 only cost me ?80, I just can't justify spending that kind of money. It's a disgrace and I refuse to pay ?160 to just get some apps that are not available on WP.

I don't have any issues with Microsoft itself, just the companies that don't recognise WP as a proper platform.

I'd say skip buying an iPod Touch. I bought the latest model a year ago, and all I use it for is for a grocery store loyalty app. Other than that, I have no reason to use it. The apps will come, or more likely a indie developer. I just switch to competing products if they have the app available in the WP store these days.

Beppe Gissi

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
1. Android has far too many security holes.
2. Android slows down the hardware a lot.
3. Nexus is pricier in Europe than the US.
4. Android UI is extremely user-unfriendly.
5. Apple iPhone is made for teenage girls.
6. All my PCs are running on Windows 8.1.
7. I got Nokia Lumia 625 for only ?49 new.
8. Battery life and screen size matter also.
9. So does 4G and so does a Full HD cam.
10. To sum this up, there is no competition.

Where did you find a 625 at that price?? It's 180 ? here

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I'd say skip buying an iPod Touch. I bought the latest model a year ago, and all I use it for is for a grocery store loyalty app. Other than that, I have no reason to use it. The apps will come, or more likely a indie developer. I just switch to competing products if they have the app available in the WP store these days.

Yeah exactly what I was thinking. Miffed off with lack of support though.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't like Apple because it is too cold. "Like this because I say so", "Use this charger that no one else can use", One size fits all, you're holding it wrong mentality.

I don't like Android because it is too hot. Using me as a advertising base, intrusive with malware, the next best thing always fragments last quarter's device.

Windows Phone seemed juust right. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss