Why I left iPhone for windows phone.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
See while I know most people including myself wouldn't use facetime all that often, for the average user you can't beat the ease of use factor. Facetime has almost become synonymous with video calling.

It has? Damn... I must have been sleeping when that memo went around cause I sure didn't get it.

Trevor Wolfe

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
OMG you just taught me something. Didn't think we had reader. Even more in love.

Yeah it works great! I find all my articles in the Bing news app, open up in is and click the little reading button at the bottom and it works awesome. You can also adjust reading view sizes and background color in ie settings

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
also, iCloud... what a joke.

Wife dropped her old phone. She needed to attach a photo of a project that night and send it to a client. Turns out logging into iCloud does nothing for photos. Yet on windows, I have access to every photo. Oh, and I use bing, so thanks for the 105gigs of space.

Howd you get 105gigs?

Use bing, then after you get 100 points trade it for 100gigs of cloud space. Good for 1 year

OneDrive has gone from 10GB to 15 for all users with a Microsoft account... Use autosave photos from your Windows Phone and get bumped to 18GB free for life.

Saves every photo every time. Saves space on the device as you can delete whatever is not vital, knowing it is backed up to the cloud. Saves your sanity... Now where is that pic? It's on OneDrive and I can log on and get it from wherever I'm connected.

Listen people... I'm an old dude. Facetime isn't for me (someone else remarked it is for 30 yr olds and younger). But even an old fart like me can start embracing the cloud.

​And I'll agree that Universal access is the way forward. No matter the App or ecosystem.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
While i agree with the other 3 points, logically iMessage makes sense but geez did it cause me problems...sometimes people wouldnt get my messages, they had to be sent via SMS (had to shut off iMessage), or it would break when switching between Wifi/Data connections (needed to be reset). iMessage, the concept of messaging tool accessible by all iOS/OSx environment is a great idea, if MS plans to amalgamate using Skype it has to work right from the start or else it will **** a lot off.

iMessage may be a good thing for iPhone people, but seems like it can be a problem if you switch platforms. That said, the OPs points are well made and not just because I agree with most of them. I've been on all the platforms and right now I'm liking WP a great deal. It's not perfect and I wish there were some apps that I miss from Android and iPhone - in particular some complex math apps. But as an OS that's easy to live with every day, WP is hard to beat. It won't be for everyone but that's fine.

On the other hand, I am waiting (impatiently) for the Passport.

charlienk

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Stability is an interesting fact too.

2years ago, when grandma needed a phone, guess what she got? And iPhone because it was stable and east to use. Now I hear people complain the phone is restarting frequently (that sounds like a crash). People also say they will be at 20percent battery and suddenly the phone shuts off, then 30mins later turns mack on with 15percent.

Windows phone has made some massive improvements with 8.1 and its only going to get better. That "Big" screen iPhone gets in the next update, we have it. Those colors, we have it. Speed, voice assistant, cloud, everything. Windows phone 8.1 rocks.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I've heard quite a few people talk about how polished iPhone and iOS is, and I must agree completely. I'm not a big fan of iPhone, they were my first platform but now Windows is my favorite without a doubt and I'd rather have an HTC One M8 over an iPhone 5s, but I can't deny that iPhone has had a lot of time to polish and perfect their simple system.
But this doesn't mean Microsoft isn't a good platform. (disclaimer: I am NOT accusing anybody here of saying such a thing, I am just making a point)
I understand that Windows Phone is far from the maturity of iOS but the design is there and with the support of us, the users, and Microsoft(as long as they listen to their little 3% of the stock market, us) this OS can shoot ahead and eat up more of the current market share. I'm not going to go into insane amounts of depth for one simple reason: I've already done it today, and I'm tired.
I apologize if I'm not being clear. Like I just said, I'm very tired.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
There are still several ways in which the iPhone specifically IOS beats windows phone

1. Facetime integration - Facetime is seamlessly integrated into the OS much like Skype should have been for windows phone.

In 8.1 Skype is integrated in much the same way. From a call you can turn it into a Skype video call. From Cortana you can Skype someone etc.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
In 8.1 Skype is integrated in much the same way. From a call you can turn it into a Skype video call. From Cortana you can Skype someone etc.
I find this laughable. You know Facetime is actually linked to the users phone number, right? Until WP can match that experience, it's pretty much DOA with regards to this.

themadpoet1

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I had the experience of using an IPhone 5 and my Nokia 1520 back to back for a few days. I used to own an iPhone 4S in 2012 but I jumped to the Nokia 928 last year. I really liked the old IOS for the most part. The newer IOS they came out with last year looks horrible. It looks too bubbly and happy and I just don't like the UI anymore. They ruined ITunes on the IPhone. I loved the album flow browse and you used to be able to sort your albums by artist. The only thing I like better on the new IPhone visually is when you are playing an album and it appears on your lock screen.

Windows Phone has got some bugs to work out and bettering of some core apps, but it's sure a lot more fun and personal to use than the iPhone.

Another thing I could say about the IPhone is that I found it very fast and easy to use when performing a simple task, like making a phone call or sending a message. IOS definitely excels at speed of use over Windows Phone.

But don't people realize how lousy the photos the iPhone takes look? Or how crappy and underpowered the sound quality is?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I have had the "privelage" of using iOS as well, haha. I have nothing against iOS, but I prefer Windows in many ways.
iOS is much too strict. And like he said above, bubbly and happy.
And iTunes...ugh I hate iTunes more than anything. I could go into my reasons but there's no point most people here would probably just find a reason to disagree, haha. I use Windows Media Player now.
But iOS has its advantages, like speed of use and a polished interface. It's tested, tried for. Mature. Windows Phones still have a lot of work.

Trevor Wolfe

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I hate iTunes on the desktop, its alright on my iPad though and the podcast app on IOS far exceeds anything we have here. Like said above I wish they would implement the music controls and album art on the lock screen like ios

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Good for you and welcome!

As for the iMessage debacle.. There's WhatsApp, Line or Viber to do what iMessage does and it's across the board, not an OS exclusive.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I hate iTunes on the desktop, its alright on my iPad though and the podcast app on IOS far exceeds anything we have here. Like said above I wish they would implement the music controls and album art on the lock screen like ios

Windows Phone does have music controls and artist art on the lock screen.
when you have music playing and you turn on your phone, music control automatically drops down from the top.
also, go into settings, lock screen, and turn on artist covers.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry guys but can we please take the Windows glasses off and be a little more realistic here? Windows Phone is great, yes. And the good thing of what I'll write is that it's that there's no flaw with Windows Phone but it's just Apple who's got it better:

Browsing. You can't, you just seriously can't say IE is better than Safari on an iPhone. It just isn't as fast, smooth and user friendly as I want it to be. Scrolling isn't smooth all the time pinching to zoom in isn't how I would like it and it's slower. Pro for Safari here.

Apps. I really like TripAdvisor. Used my iPhone daily to add restaurant or trip reviews on the website. I used the app. But then I got to Windows Phone and the app is just horrible. Same with Instagram, boy I loved Instagram on my iPhone! Same with Facebook, I never update anymore with Windows Phone. Twitter is one huge laugh on a 6 inch display.

So, you may have a big point that the battery holds longer but you can't ever compare a 3400 mAh to some devices lower power battery.

Good for you and welcome!

As for the iMessage debacle.. There's WhatsApp, Line or Viber to do what iMessage does and it's across the board, not an OS exclusive.

That's not the point. The point is that Skype should be core-build-in the Windows Phone OS. And it isn't. And that's no other than just sad and a missing link.

And iTunes...ugh I hate iTunes more than anything. I could go into my reasons but there's no point most people here would probably just find a reason to disagree, haha. I use Windows Media Player now.

I know why you hate iTunes at first: It looks like a Mac app on Windows. And that's not right! Apple has guidelines when it comes to making an app on OS X or iOS. Although Apple seems to have an habit of breaking those guidelines with the iTunes app, it has it's benefits. Because all the apps you have look tidy.

But, I'm someone graphical orientated. I called Ford to ask why the font of my navigation system isn't the same as it is on the steering wheel dash. There's one thing I totally hate about Windows. Take the Nokia Recovery Tool, why is this in the not Windows UI? My OS is green, all the bars and buttons are green but the Nokia tools appears in a total differently UI and color.

Same with Windows Phone. And that sucks! If every app had the Windows Phone UI (which is really really good!) it would be the perfect life. But it won't ever have that. Some apps have the iOS look but not the feel, sadly. And we can all call Apple an "app dictator" but it's for our own benefit. Because it just looks so tiny, clean and well organized. (Sadly some apps were left forgotten and never had updates so still look the iOS 6 way)

PS: I found another thing just now what annoys me.

HERE maps or Bing maps.
I would like to create dicrections on the Windows Desktop, in a browser or app that doesn't matter, and then send them to my phone. HERE maps can send it to a Volvo or Mercedes-Benz but not to the phone. Bing maps can? Nope. Apple's Maps app on OS X can send directions to your iPhone or iPad to take it on the road. And it will just be a matter of time with iOS in the car that you can send directions to your car.

I know I could perhaps use Cortana, but I'm in the Netherlands and Cortana won't understand: "Directions to the Albert Heijn on the Brabantseturfmarkt in Delft please" ....

Ah, cup of coffee now. Anyone? :D

Last edited:

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
As a iPhone 4 and 1520 owner, the biggest pro of the first one is the support. Any kind of it: apps, Apple care, integration with Apple ecosystem etc etc.
In every other cases, iPhone has almost no big advantage against WP. Yes, probably it's more colorful, but (at least) I'm not the guy who buys the book by its cover.
On the other side people don't need anything else than support. Consumers just want to sleep tight and be sure that their phones will serve them as long as possible. Most of smartphone consumers don't need any 3.14k MP cameras, over9k : over9k screen (yes, everybody needs as huge battery as possible).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb