08-19-2014 02:05 AM
67 123
tools
    I've been using Windows Phone 7 and Windows Mobile 6 since they came out.
    And somewhere in between I've had the iPhone 3G as well as Android 2.3, 4.1.
    For me, it ultimately comes down to what I'm using the phone for and that will dictate what phone I get.
    The 1020 has been great since day one but all those megapixel is not going to help much when the camera can't focus fast enough and I miss the shot. Having Waze only in portrait mode is just not acceptable. WP8.1 has been great and I love the UI and the live tiles for WP.
    08-08-2014 01:01 PM
    I've been using Windows Phone 7 and Windows Mobile 6 since they came out.
    And somewhere in between I've had the iPhone 3G as well as Android 2.3, 4.1.
    For me, it ultimately comes down to what I'm using the phone for and that will dictate what phone I get.
    The 1020 has been great since day one but all those megapixel is not going to help much when the camera can't focus fast enough and I miss the shot. Having Waze only in portrait mode is just not acceptable. WP8.1 has been great and I love the UI and the live tiles for WP.
    Psst use Microsoft camera for fast shot to shot times, however pics are only in 5mp.
    08-08-2014 06:40 PM
    Use bing, then after you get 100 points trade it for 100gigs of cloud space. Good for 1 year
    Indeed if you have a Office 365 subscription you get 1 TB (ya 1000 Gigs).... But if the iCloud is not your thing:

wp_ss_20140808_0001.jpg

Space local to the phone is not an issue.... yeap, it is the high end....

~ScottGeek.
    realwarder likes this.
    08-08-2014 07:17 PM
    OneDrive has gone from 10GB to 15 for all users with a Microsoft account... Use autosave photos from your Windows Phone and get bumped to 18GB free for life.
    I was grandfathered in....25gb, and now I put all my pictures to Onedrive I got 28gb... :)
    08-08-2014 08:30 PM
    I still have all the bonuses from the various programs MS was running from the SkyDrive shift lol.

untitled.png
    08-09-2014 02:36 AM
    Just wondering. 158GB, but the upload and download speed is horrible. Plus I can't upload files bigger than 2GB. Without turning this into the OneDrive discussion it's useless in my mind.
    explosive0 likes this.
    08-09-2014 05:40 AM
    Just wondering. 158GB, but the upload and download speed is horrible. Plus I can't upload files bigger than 2GB. Without turning this into the OneDrive discussion it's useless in my mind.
    Well not to dip the iPhone thread into a talk about Onedrive, you're doing the upload/download from your phone? If yes then speed is relative to if you are going over wifi or the cell phone... sounds like you're going through the cell phone with a data limit set. If you make sure you are connected to wifi and set uploads/downloads to use wifi only speed should improve. Anyway something to check for. Lots of how-to's out there to show you how to set this up. More than likely it's not OneDrive.

~ScottGeek.
    08-09-2014 08:04 AM
    That's not the case. Windows 7 Enterprise on University of Delft wired connection. But its fine lets go back to pro and cons of the iOS and WP discussion.
    08-09-2014 08:10 AM
    Battery Saver doesn't do anything until the battery drops to 10% (default, you can change it.) At that time it shuts off what it thinks are non-essential functions.
    I do not understand why this hasn't sunk into the heads of the WP community.
    08-09-2014 11:14 AM
    OMG you just taught me something. Didn't think we had reader. Even more in love.
    Just look for the book icon on the address bar :P, works a charm.

Also those who are saying that skype should be built-in to Windows Phone, you have seriously missed the boat. That will not happen - why you ask?

If they have decoupled:
    1) xbox music- to make updating easier otherwise it would need an O/S level update
    2) xbox video - as above
    3) games hub - as above
    4) social integration from the people hub - back end changes made by the social websites used to create all sorts of issues.

Sure IOS is polished if you live in a apple ecosystem it all work's flawlessly together but try to leave the closed garden, you may encounter obstacles. Also try setting up a simple LAN printer (say an epson) on the ipad
    Last edited by TechFreak1; 08-09-2014 at 11:51 AM.
    08-09-2014 11:40 AM
    Why does everyone feel the need to defend other platforms? The OP was simply stating his observations. He wasn't asking anyone their opinion nor how to fix anything. He was just stating his experiences.
    Maybe, because you're in a Forum called "Phone Wars" LOL
    JamesPTao likes this.
    08-09-2014 11:46 AM
    I was bored of the interface. Static grid of icons, limited customization.
    08-09-2014 02:08 PM
    Psst use Microsoft camera for fast shot to shot times, however pics are only in 5mp.
    That's like: "Hey, take my Porsche. It only hasn't got any fuel but who cares."

Even though MP doesn't say a lot about a photo the fact that the 1520 can shoot photo's faster in 8.0 than 8.1 is weird. Although I believed my iPhone 4S was slower with iOS 7 than iOS 6 while taking photos. It's just a no-go.
    08-11-2014 02:05 AM
    Well I wish apple and Microsoft could come to an agreement where they use the same standards across facetime/skype and imessage/skype so that we could do Skype to imessage calls. This is 2014 why is a universal video calling feature not integrated alongside normal calling throughout all OS's.
    Ms has always been good about adhering to standards. Apple not so much. They use proprietary standards to keep people In their systems and to control aftermarket/repair options. Its in their interests to remain incompatible so they will keep it that way. Its in Ms's interest to adhere to standards as they are a software company primarily and need to work and function on a ridiculous amount of devices and brands.
    08-11-2014 02:12 AM
    That's quantity before quality. Worst thing ever to imagine!
    08-11-2014 04:31 AM
    True they have to focus on quantity but they are quality in their programs, if you skip succesive generations. Lol. Windows XP good, vista terrible, 7 great, 8 meh, 9 should be awesome. I think they prerelease os due to market pressure. Vista should never have existed but what became 7 wasn't ready yet and they felt pressured to release vista, mistake. Its very easy to write when only one manufacturer will make the product and very easy to test it, especially when it doesn't play well with others. (And of course when you borrow a lot of someone else's code, linex).
    08-11-2014 05:34 AM
    Windows XP good, vista terrible, 7 great, 8 meh, 9 should be awesome.
    Is that how it works in the Windows way of thinking? Windows 9 "must" be great! Not should. It must! Same as any other version of Windows, Office or anything else.

Its very easy to write when only one manufacturer will make the product and very easy to test it, especially when it doesn't play well with others. (And of course when you borrow a lot of someone else's code, linex).
    Again - not personal - but you can compare Linux vs Windows. You can't take OS X vs Windows. Linux and Windows both run on loads of hardware, OS X doesn't. Same for Android, it runs on so many hardware, Windows Phone and iOS are kept to a relative little amount of phones. That's what I liked from Microsoft because it means they can (well should have, they don't .... but it's fine) make their OS for the specific Nokia hardware. Like iOS and the iPhone, that's the best marriage since Mac OS and the Macintosh.

So why I switched?
    Price!

Only after buying the Nokia 1320 I realized why the iPhone costs so much. It's worth it. And the Nokia 930 or 1520 comes close in the price range anyway. The build quality can't be any better and I bet the iPhone 6 would again set the standards.
    08-19-2014 02:05 AM
67 123