Why I left iPhone for windows phone.

charlienk

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Early this year I purchased the 1520 and was blown away. It seemed to do everything my iPhone couldn't but yet 3 short months later I found myself looking at my wife's iPhone in envy eventually. The UI was nice, the apps seemed to work a little better and really seemed to look a lot better. Webpages just worked and she seemed to never run into any walls.

So one day, we did a swap and I took her phone for 24 hours and she took my 1520.

Iphone Cons
-On the iPhone right away I noticed by the time I got to work the iPhone had already lost 14%.
-Walking to the building, I could hardly make out a text message in the direct sun light.
-Sitting at my desk I then went to turn the volume on texts off but keep my radio on. boy was that a lot more steps then I remember.
-Then at the end of the day, with an hour left, I go to check my phone and see that its off and the battery is blinking at me.

Iphone Pros
-I did like how the camera could focus on circuit boards I was working on without having to back up a few inches and then crop in.
-Colors seemed a little better
-Siri was a bit more helpful then cortana at math and date calculations. (whats 180 days from today)

All of this is software for the most part

When I got home, my wife was playing with the health and fitness app, told me about a new restaurant she discovered, how it tracked how many steps she took, how she loved nokia music and how it was free and commercial free, she loved the giant calculator, how when she turns off wifi it turns it back on later, the live tiles, how social networks actually change the lock screen and contacts, how the screen is much bigger then the iPhones, and most of all, the battery. After using it all day and almost every feature, she only managed to bring it down to 52%.

I then told her battery saver would stretch that even further.

Well, got my 1520 back from her, and I love it even more now. This is now My phone and I'm not going back.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral! Hope you will find our forum tips and tricks even more useful to make your WP - "your" smartphone. Remember, you are what you pin.

Trevor Wolfe

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
There are still several ways in which the iPhone specifically IOS beats windows phone

1. Facetime integration - Facetime is seamlessly integrated into the OS much like Skype should have been for windows phone.

2. iMessage - Again owning both Groupme and Skype it baffles me how Microsoft had not added an equivalent of iMessage to Windows Phone.

3. APPS - Yes there are still missing key apps from the windows phone store and yes many of them dont get updated as much as their IOS counterparts. Just look at Vine and Instagram who released their apps 9 months ago to never update them again. Were still missing apps such as snapchat, amazon instant video, amazon music, the google apps, scottrade, etc etc. The list goes on

4. Fluidity throughout the OS and Key apps. For the most part windows phone is very fluid, but if you compare stocks apps such as the camera app and music app you will notice some key downfalls. I love the camera on my icon but it often takes longer to initialize the camera and longer to take the actual photo. While i am enjoying Xbox music for the most part, there are still several glitches and the cloud collection portion isa very messy implementation that can leave you with several duplicate songs.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
2. iMessage - Again owning both Groupme and Skype it baffles me how Microsoft had not added an equivalent of iMessage to Windows Phone.

While i agree with the other 3 points, logically iMessage makes sense but geez did it cause me problems...sometimes people wouldnt get my messages, they had to be sent via SMS (had to shut off iMessage), or it would break when switching between Wifi/Data connections (needed to be reset). iMessage, the concept of messaging tool accessible by all iOS/OSx environment is a great idea, if MS plans to amalgamate using Skype it has to work right from the start or else it will **** a lot off.

charlienk

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
i agree. For much of the two years I had my iPhone 4s and for the day I had the 5S, I had iMessage turned off. Messages get lost or fail to send far too often.

Plus... am I the only one who maybe doesn't want the mother in law to know I read her message and just didn't feel like replying for an hour?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There are still several ways in which the iPhone specifically IOS beats windows phone

1. Facetime integration - Facetime is seamlessly integrated into the OS much like Skype should have been for windows phone.

See, to me, those are problem areas. Yet iOS users always crow about them as if they are huge advantages. Add in Airdrop as well. Great and handy dandy one thousand percent. So long as each and every person you want to interact with is on iOS or Mac.

It's ostracism and arrogance to ignore everything else in the world that does not partake of your ecosystem. Putting on blinders is not a plus to those who refuse to wear blinders...

Trevor Wolfe

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Well I wish apple and Microsoft could come to an agreement where they use the same standards across facetime/skype and imessage/skype so that we could do Skype to imessage calls. This is 2014 why is a universal video calling feature not integrated alongside normal calling throughout all OS's.

Trevor Wolfe

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
i agree. For much of the two years I had my iPhone 4s and for the day I had the 5S, I had iMessage turned off. Messages get lost or fail to send far too often.

Plus... am I the only one who maybe doesn't want the mother in law to know I read her message and just didn't feel like replying for an hour?

I agree with that but message is nice when you are somewhere that has wifi but no cell service.

Trevor Wolfe

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
See, to me, those are problem areas. Yet iOS users always crow about them as if they are huge advantages. Add in Airdrop as well. Great and handy dandy one thousand percent. So long as each and every person you want to interact with is on iOS or Mac.

It's ostracism and arrogance to ignore everything else in the world that does not partake of your ecosystem. Putting on blinders is not a plus to those who refuse to wear blinders...

See while I know most people including myself wouldn't use facetime all that often, for the average user you can't beat the ease of use factor. Facetime has almost become synonymous with video calling.

charlienk

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
also, iCloud... what a joke.

Wife dropped her old phone. She needed to attach a photo of a project that night and send it to a client. Turns out logging into iCloud does nothing for photos. Yet on windows, I have access to every photo. Oh, and I use bing, so thanks for the 105gigs of space.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I agree with that but message is nice when you are somewhere that has wifi but no cell service.

The ONLY real benefit and very true, i live in the country with limited areas with strong data signal...using wifi for message is a very nice advantage.

Trevor Wolfe

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
also, iCloud... what a joke.

Wife dropped her old phone. She needed to attach a photo of a project that night and send it to a client. Turns out logging into iCloud does nothing for photos. Yet on windows, I have access to every photo. Oh, and I use bing, so thanks for the 105gigs of space.

Howd you get 105gigs?

charlienk

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
See while I know most people including myself wouldn't use facetime all that often, for the average user you can't beat the ease of use factor. Facetime has almost become synonymous with video calling.

agreed, it has except in the professional world. Skype is still king for the time being. But yes, anyone say 30 and under, its FaceTime without a doubt

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I do like WP, but I do envy atm ios users for they seem to have very polished UI in terms of graphics and transitions. WP sometimes feels like made with VGA graphics.. Browser? Can't even compare those as IOS browser is beautiful while IE is black and awkward looking.
Sent from my NeverAndroidAgain**1020** via Tapatalk

Trevor Wolfe

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Oh yeah I saw that but used my points for a gift card lol. And yeah IOS is very smooth. Apple makes sure that every facet of their operating systems and hardware are polished

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Reading view is a success yes.I guess WP also gets polished in time. They did begin the competition later than counterparts I think?
Sent from my NeverAndroidAgain**1020** via Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo