12-29-2014 08:41 AM
231 1234 ...
tools
    What is wrong with multi tasking?
    Coming from Android, I would say things like when I use a timer app, I have to leave the screen unlocked (but can use other apps) in order for the timer to go off. When using white noise apps at night or the sleep timer for music, I can lock the phone but have to be in that app when I lock the phone. It's been somewhat difficult to keep up with all of the new 'rules' to keep things working. Not a huge deal, but those are things I never worried about on Android. Still very pleased with my switch, though!
    08-09-2014 02:47 PM
    Coming from Android, I would say things like when I use a timer app, I have to leave the screen unlocked (but can use other apps) in order for the timer to go off. When using white noise apps at night or the sleep timer for music, I can lock the phone but have to be in that app when I lock the phone. It's been somewhat difficult to keep up with all of the new 'rules' to keep things working. Not a huge deal, but those are things I never worried about on Android. Still very pleased with my switch, though!
    I just set a timer for 15 seconds. Left the app and locked the screen. It worked.
    08-09-2014 03:09 PM
    Multitasking on wphone sometimes is bad especially when you do something and need to fill password which you just got in message. You switch back to the fill form and it is already closed... Happily on 8.1 it is much better. I was a huge fan of Android, rooted and modes my phones excessively but I was usually doing that because they were laggy. It is like a knife with thousand features but no of them actually really works to be painless. Now with 8.1 I do not even watch at android. Month ago I booked plane tickets for me and couple other persons which did not have wphone phone cause Androids and IOS browser wasn't able to run applet's. I discovered that I can use such service like wetransfer to send big files directly from my phone... Android can't do it.
    08-09-2014 03:18 PM
    I just set a timer for 15 seconds. Left the app and locked the screen. It worked.
    What app? I do recall I could do that in one, but it said due to WP limitations it may be off in the timing. When I tried a short timer it took almost another minute to go off. I figured they all had that issue. Like I said, still learning WP.
    08-09-2014 03:51 PM
    What app? I do recall I could do that in one, but it said due to WP limitations it may be off in the timing. When I tried a short timer it took almost another minute to go off. I figured they all had that issue. Like I said, still learning WP.
    #1 toolkit
    k72 and Qais Abu-Hasan like this.
    08-09-2014 03:53 PM
    The Samsung apps are a love hate thing, but one of the good things on Android (not sure if WP can do this) is you can disable apps you don't want so you never see them

When I had my Samsung I enjoyed the Samsung version of the apps, but after a year I fancied a changed, disabled the Samsung versions and installed the Google apps, this made the app experience the same as my Nexus 7
    Similar thing on the Nexus 7, Google added apps I would never use, disabled these and never see them again

Being able to uninstall them might have been preferable, but with disabling them you can get them back very easily if you ever want to in the future
    on WP you can uninstall any and all apps except for system apps.
    the inability to uninstall carrier loaded bloatwares is the primary reason I don't buy droids.
    colinkiama likes this.
    08-09-2014 04:01 PM
    You can always do a lot of stuff (flash stock rom and all that) however I'd suggest getting an LG or Sony phone. Or stick with WP. The mobile browser actually works very well know. The only reason I even have the app (beta and normal both suck) is for the people hub integration
    08-09-2014 04:16 PM
    One reason that Android seems to be popular is the ability to literally do what you want if you really, really want to.

Being the most customizable platform is a benefit to a large swathe of people.
    08-09-2014 04:29 PM
    One reason that Android seems to be popular is the ability to literally do what you want if you really, really want to.

Being the most customizable platform is a benefit to a large swathe of people.
    Customization is a benefit to some people, but I hardly think that's why it's so popular. It came as an alternative to the iPhone, and took off like a forest fire. And like a forest fire, it created its own momentum which is very difficult for outside forces to stop.
    08-09-2014 04:43 PM
    Customization is a benefit to some people, but I hardly think that's why it's so popular. It came as an alternative to the iPhone, and took off like a forest fire. And like a forest fire, it created its own momentum which is very difficult for outside forces to stop.
    No... customization is definitely not "the" reason; just a big one.

I mostly agree with your synopsis. I like to say Google stumbled over backwards into mobile success.
    tgp likes this.
    08-09-2014 05:09 PM
    Using Android on a Nexus 5 and you'll see it fly very fast lag free device.
    08-09-2014 05:23 PM
    I like to say Google stumbled over backwards into mobile success.
    Even Google probably didn't expect Android to ever get 84.6% of sales. When they started, the iPhone was already taking off, and Windows Mobile and BlackBerry were big.
    08-09-2014 05:26 PM
    Even Google probably didn't expect Android to ever get 84.6% of sales. When they started, the iPhone was already taking off, and Windows Mobile and BlackBerry were big.
    People forget about windows mobile ( around early 2000 ) and blackberry (consumer devices also around early 2000).. lol, both of which were in existence before the google g1 hit the market.
    08-09-2014 06:16 PM
    I got the Xpetia Z2 (read my review on amazon uk under Hard-To-Find). X2 is a very good phone which has some phone/android functions better then W8P, but its vice versa too with phone & functions on W8P better.. personally prefer W8P on Lumia 930 - Just a slicker, smoother with a crash less experience on Lumia. Xperia 2 still stutters opening apps at times, does still crash here and there, and just ain't as smooth to use - this is now to do with Android as it happened on my SG3 too. Camera on XZ2 is great but honestly a bit overrated.
    08-09-2014 06:31 PM
    You can disable them all. Amounts to the same thing.
    No it doesn't... those apps are still taking up valuable memory. At least on WP they are gone from your phone completely!!!!
    prasath1234 likes this.
    08-09-2014 07:24 PM
    No it doesn't... those apps are still taking up valuable memory. At least on WP they are gone from your phone completely!!!!
    Fair point. However, if one really wants to great rid of them, one can.
    08-09-2014 07:28 PM
    I once had the chance to get a S4 mini for free...i looked at it (UI)...i puked...i said no thanks... Really who buys Samsung phones?
    08-09-2014 07:32 PM
    I once had the chance to get a S4 mini for free...i looked at it (UI)...i puked...i said no thanks... Really who buys Samsung phones?
    Nobody, apparently.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    08-09-2014 08:47 PM
    Fair point. However, if one really wants to great rid of them, one can.
    Not all of them. Sprint apps couldn't be disabled on my phone. One was for your account (supposedly) and the other was some ridiculous waste of themes for your phone. It was impossible to disable them. Some of the other system bloat also couldn't be disabled.
    08-09-2014 09:31 PM
    I still have my HTC One X which I used to love. I find it too sluggish now after using 1520.
    08-09-2014 10:49 PM
    Android isn't actually bad. You just need to get the right phone. But I won't lie, there are very stupid things like apps with widgets cant be installed to the SD. WTF! I just find myself babysitting my phone more than actually using it lol. But you guys should try android, just to see what it's like. Just don't buy samsung.
    If it's alright with you, I'll demur. There are two reasons:

i) I really don't trust Google and don't understand why people aren't a lot more careful with where their personal information is going as a general principle. It's far wiser to be conservative with whom you trust your privacy than opt for something because it's free. Google seem to have a policy of 'do it until someone complains' rather than commit themselves to respecting personal privacy. Information given to Google for storage is open to Google to use for their own benefit and I'm not agreeing to that.

ii) The principle above doesn't apply to a Nokia X or Amazon Fire, so when I'm tempted to give Android a try there are options open to me, but then I ask myself: What would be the benefit? Similarly I'm tempted to install Linux on my PC when I replace it, but really how would I be better off?

I am happy with Windows and Windows Phone, and like the way my information synchronises between my devices. I find Windows Phone in particular, elegant and simple to use, and I like the way it presents me with useful information. In short, it doesn't get in the way.
    S Vaibhav and k72 like this.
    08-10-2014 02:10 AM
    If it's alright with you, I'll demur. There are two reasons:

i) I really don't trust Google and don't understand why people aren't a lot more careful with where their personal information is going as a general principle. It's far wiser to be conservative with whom you trust your privacy than opt for something because it's free. Google seem to have a policy of 'do it until someone complains' rather than commit themselves to respecting personal privacy. Information given to Google for storage is open to Google to use for their own benefit and I'm not agreeing to that.

ii) The principle above doesn't apply to a Nokia X or Amazon Fire, so when I'm tempted to give Android a try there are options open to me, but then I ask myself: What would be the benefit? Similarly I'm tempted to install Linux on my PC when I replace it, but really how would I be better off?

I am happy with Windows and Windows Phone, and like the way my information synchronises between my devices. I find Windows Phone in particular, elegant and simple to use, and I like the way it presents me with useful information. In short, it doesn't get in the way.

I absolutely agree with you. Every single company that offers email, cloud or any other similar services does data mining in a big way. If you're extremely concerned about your privacy, better get off the internet. What makes a big difference is what actually happens with your data. Microsoft uses it to improve their services and make things more comfortable for its users. They earn their money with software and hardware, especially in businesses. Google's business model on the other hand is entirely based on advertising. Which is what they use your data for. And that's the very reason for me to say **** you, Google.
    S Vaibhav and k72 like this.
    08-10-2014 02:36 AM
    I took the cheapest one that was available around here, just to try... Wasn't going to take a S5 or One M8 so I took last year's model...

The Xperia Z2 looks amazing, seems to work better indeed, but is way too big. They should make a "mini" version of it.

Anyway, will try to return the S4 and get a L930 instead.
    There is an Arabic saying that goes like this, I have no idea if this will make sense to you guys :P,

"if you buy cheap meat, you will regret the taste of the stew".

So next time you buy the cheapest around, don't go and say that it was bad, because it was kinda expected.
    08-10-2014 02:40 AM
    Disagree - both cameras on both phones are good but neither obviously superior. I have found zone situations the Lunia 930 gives a better result, some situations the Z2 - and some are due to preferences of your personal liking. Z2 still has the usual Android problems as mentioned. I've got the XZ2 on contract and Lumia om sim free but personally get more joy with Lumia.

App developer's fault not the phone or android, take it up with them. Camera has also unseated lumia as the best smartphone camera for 2014 on dpreview.com
    The Z2 blows the doors off of anything Nokia's produced to date
    08-10-2014 03:24 AM
    App developer's fault not the phone or android, take it up with them. Camera has also unseated lumia as the best smartphone camera for 2014 on dpreview.com
    The Z2 blows the doors off of anything Nokia's produced to date
    Obviously you forgot the Lumia 1020, with the best camera in a smartphone to date :P
    taymur likes this.
    08-10-2014 03:39 AM
231 1234 ...