12-29-2014 09:41 AM
231 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Hey!
    I did the opposite of you, after many years with android i did give a try to WP by buying a low cost device.
    After finding myself constantly fighting for the same things over and over on android, something keeps missing and the OS version doesn't matter at all neither the device. I went to buy a WP low cost device so i got myself a lumia 630.
    So far all i can say is that Android compared to WP it's a constant draw of something that keeps changing to a new OS version every time google gets tired of fixing a previous OS. Then they start another cycle until they get tired again and re-build a new OS.

Pros
    -Thousands of store apps.
    -Lots of personalization.
    -Funny during the first three weeks.

Cons
    -API is bad for nearly every single app.
    -The lag, i can't understand how a device with 1gb of ram and a quad core processor keeps lagging for no reason.
    -Repetitive, install launcher, uninstall launcher, apply icons, change icons and still something keeps missing.
    -OS support, you will only get it regularly if you buy a high end device.
    -More apps you install, more battery it drains.
    -It goes slow and crashy with time.
    -The whole structure is heavy.
    -The market its so big that makes it hard for a low/medium device to get updates from OS to OS.

WP surprised me for real, even that i like to push the boundaries and bought a device with 512ram and it is lagless with all the possible social apps installed. The structure is pretty light, apps api are very well programmed. I can rely on WP for real. With a WP device i can do things i never could with a android with the double of the spec of this lumia 630. It's a whole different and very well done approach. I just love it.

Pros
    -The whole structure.
    -The minimalistic design.
    -Simple, fast, intuitive and definitely reliable.

Cons
    - 3 years of development seems not enough to implement a mobile data toggle on the notification center.
    - No fast reply from the screen.
    - Still too awesome to not buy one.

Still these two OS are different it's like Android is for fun and WP feels like a serious OS willing to do what you want without any questions.
    Nitesh Tilwani likes this.
    08-10-2014 10:37 AM
    Not all of them. Sprint apps couldn't be disabled on my phone. One was for your account (supposedly) and the other was some ridiculous waste of themes for your phone. It was impossible to disable them. Some of the other system bloat also couldn't be disabled.
    All are gone from mine. Deleted.

Not a stock operation, but it is possible.
    08-10-2014 10:55 AM
    After staying trustful to WP for years, but getting really annoyed by some of the flaws (see my thread about data roaming suddenly not working in 1 specific country, or the FB app that's so miserably slow), I decided to give a try to Android (I owned iPhone's before and they're just too expensive).

I found a cheap Galaxy S4 and I am shocked by how user-unfriendly Android is! All this bloatware installed, you don't even find the useful apps among them. You need to install a 3rd party plug-in to be able to download images from the Gmail app, seriously Google?!!

So let's face it, it's such bad experience in Android, that I am willing to continue supporting the WP platform but please MS please oh please sort out all the remaining flaws in your system and do it fast!
    As a Samsung user, i always preached that the only devices worth the price are the Note family. Still bloated with trash but good for work. The rest is pure trash kept alive with marketing and top notch hardware wrapped in subpar materials and with all the optimization and fragmentation issues that all (honest) Android users are acquainted with.
    08-10-2014 10:55 AM
    All are gone from mine. Deleted.

Not a stock operation, but it is possible.
    Okay, to clarify, I found it was not possible for the average user.
    08-10-2014 11:14 AM
    I took the cheapest one that was available around here, just to try... Wasn't going to take a S5 or One M8 so I took last year's model...

The Xperia Z2 looks amazing, seems to work better indeed, but is way too big. They should make a "mini" version of it.

Anyway, will try to return the S4 and get a L930 instead.
    next time for everyone who feels like tryiong android get the xperia z1 compact its small and has specs equvalent to the lumia 1520
    08-10-2014 11:15 AM
    What is wrong with multi tasking?
    Colin, it's called multitasking because you can do multiple things simultaneously. WP doesn't offer any real multitasking stuff.

To be clear, this is multitasking (on a device that's already old for the phone world ).
    Having multiple apps open that you can only use one by one is not multitasking. It's a waste of resources.
    Side thought: When and if WP will have multitasking, most WP fans will be complaining because "it's becoming like Android"....without thinking that when you come later in the race all what you can do is follow. WP is seriously lacking multitasking my friend.
    Last edited by EC Translating Services; 08-10-2014 at 11:27 AM.
    explosive0 likes this.
    08-10-2014 11:17 AM
    Of course the idea of this Multi-Window feature is interesting, but I don't think its implementation in a <5" (ok, <6") screens does worth it.
    I'm more interested in the quick access bar implementation, something similar to Win8.x. Just swipe from the left and get quick access to the apps.
    08-10-2014 11:27 AM
    Of course the idea of this Multi-Window feature is interesting, but I don't think its implementation in a <5" (ok, <6") screens does worth it.
    I'm more interested in the quick access bar implementation, something similar to Win8.x. Just swipe from the left and get quick access to the apps.
    If you were replying to me accept my apologies. I forgot to mention that function in particular is only usable (for work i mean) on 5.5" phablets and up (my opinion). However, on smaller devices you could have multiple things going on in the background which you can work with. I own a Lumia 1520. All that real estate without a split screen for me is a waste.
    08-10-2014 11:47 AM
    If you were replying to me accept my apologies. I forgot to mention that function in particular is only usable (for work i mean) on 5.5" phablets and up (my opinion). However, on smaller devices you could have multiple things going on in the background which you can work with. I own a Lumia 1520. All that real estate without a split screen for me is a waste.
    Yeah I agree, it's usable only for big screens, even though I can't say for sure how it will work w/o trying it. Maybe we could see something similar at Threshold ;)
    08-10-2014 11:51 AM
    Yeah I agree, it's usable only for big screens, even though I can't say for sure how it will work w/o trying it. Maybe we could see something similar at Threshold ;)
    I genuinely hope so. It's now very close to becoming a usable OS for those spoilt by other platforms. And i can grant you i am picky, very picky. I just wish updates were A) Substantial (not two new functions at a time with all people clapping at the crumbles Microsoft drops from the sky) and B) Quicker.
    08-10-2014 12:15 PM
    Even WP8.1 suffers from some lag sometimes and all phones have wi fi or some other bugs and issues it's not just Android. And WP isn't that much better in terms of battery life to Android either.
    I am not saying windows is perfect, read what I said. :)
    And in "my" personal experience..a windows phone with 512mb ram 2000mah battery runs a lot faster and longer than Android with same specs :)
    Sure there are other ways in which Android is better, but to each his own I guess.
    S Vaibhav, Winfonejunkie and k72 like this.
    08-10-2014 12:46 PM

Nexus were never marketed as mass consumer products, they've always been a baseline for developers. Google cannot effectively write and test software without something to run it on.
    Okay what's the point of paying $400 for a so called "flagship" phone running the official kitkat NOT the developer version and not get wifi within a range of 10 feet and then be told that wait for next update which might come after 5-6 months, and we all know we're helpless without wifi these days. :)
    08-10-2014 12:55 PM
    The 1020 was out at the time of that review.

Not anymore.

Yeah, 1% of your storage, I can see why you'd be concerned.

Nexus were never marketed as mass consumer products, they've always been a baseline for developers. Google cannot effectively write and test software without something to run it on.

I know a guy who's wife's cousin's brother's girlfriend's hairdresser had a phone with a problem. Personal anecdotes FTW
    Yes but the reason most reviewers put the 1020 down was because of the OS (typical) and the unperfected camera processing that came with the phone. After the Black update and certainly WP8.1 mostly everything was fixed - one of the guys at work has a Z2 and we had a camera face-off at night each in the respective night modes....and we both agreed the 1020 blew the Z2 out of the water.

Yes, but Android still makes it easy to pirate paid apps, which is still bad for developers

That might be true (Nexus is an enthusiast line really), but from that it sounds like you don't expect the device to function like a modern phone should - even people I know with Nexus 5s have WiFi and battery issues....and they're the enthusiasts, too

True, Android does get a lot of flak for bugs and glitches. The Dev preview of WP8.1 certainly has a few, although iOS seems to be pretty good in terms of bugs.....that said the reason why I left is because it was so boring :P
    08-10-2014 03:37 PM
    The 1020 was out at the time of that review.

Not anymore.

Yeah, 1% of your storage, I can see why you'd be concerned.

I know a guy who's wife's cousin's brother's girlfriend's hairdresser had a phone with a problem. Personal anecdotes FTW
    Source? There are many articles stating that WP and ios have higher app revenue, look it up. None that say Android revenue is higher.

On the Micromax there's no change in storage space while disabling apps, and its only got like 400mb available for app installation. Keeping in mind that it is a flagship and Android is "highly customisable" :P I should pretty much be able to do what I want?

I was expressing my opinion as to how people using Android in general felt after using my phone. :)
    08-10-2014 04:37 PM
    next time for everyone who feels like tryiong android get the xperia z1 compact its small and has specs equvalent to the lumia 1520
    There is something in the screen of Sony phones that makes colors really faded compared to other devices. I like the design, like the waterproofing (which doesn't last anyways.... You can't have plastic caps on a waterproof device... It has to have wireless charging, Bluetooth connectivity and no caps). Been tempted many times but always went in other directions.
    08-10-2014 07:01 PM
    There is something in the screen of Sony phones that makes colors really faded compared to other devices. I like the design, like the waterproofing (which doesn't last anyways.... You can't have plastic caps on a waterproof device... It has to have wireless charging, Bluetooth connectivity and no caps). Been tempted many times but always went in other directions.
    Until the Z2 that was a combination of the anti-shatter films with the poor TFT display they used. On the Z1 Compact they vastly improved the display but kept the bloody films. On the Z2 they were gone and the LCD improved a lot. Even further improvements are expected with the Z3 & Z3 Compact.
    Also, you should have the Bravia engine running to get a really awesome screen (Sony phones aren't ideal if you intend to flash ROMs).

However I agree that it should have built in Qi charging. And the Z3 may come with it. The Z2 had it but required a cover. Meanwhile Sony discontinued the cover which may indicate they'll integrate the Qi coil in the Z3. I surely hope so.
    The caps are a necessary evil on any phone aiming at IP57 certification. There's no way yet to get a phone waterproofed with things like the microUSB uncovered.
    08-10-2014 07:40 PM
    +620 The app revenue of play store is much lower as compared to WP and IOS.
    If you think the WP Store makes more money than Google Play, you're delusional. Seriously.
    Davehow and giulianoreali like this.
    08-10-2014 08:26 PM
    And yes, I've had many spam mails already that where based on data provided by Google back in the days when I used their services.
    Wrong. Google has never given anyone your email address. If your email got out, it's because of something you did.
    Davehow likes this.
    08-10-2014 08:31 PM
    there are very stupid things like apps with widgets cant be installed to the SD. WTF!

I misread your post I guess, I thought you were saying that apps couldn't be installed to the SD card. I only move games to SD, because apps are small in size and games can be huge. an app that's 30mb in size isn't a problem when you have 16 or 32GB of storage.

r4ptnod.jpg

This device is on KitKat by the way.

0eviixx.jpg

oqxjqo8.jpg

yrherxh.jpg
    Last edited by Visa Declined; 08-10-2014 at 10:13 PM.
    08-10-2014 08:46 PM
    Source? There are many articles stating that WP and ios have higher app revenue, look it up. None that say Android revenue is higher.
    Show me an article that says the WP Store makes more money than Google Play.

*edit*

This ought to be common sense. An app store for a mobile OS with 80% world-wide market share is never going to make less money than an app store for an OS with 3% market share. Pick a top selling game or app that's on both platforms, then look at the number of downloads for it on WP. Then do the same thing for Android.

*edit again*

It's difficult to even find app store revenue comparisons that include the WP Store, and there's probably a reason for that. Back in March of this year, Developer Economics posted an article breaking the numbers down for app developers: http://www.developereconomics.com/wh...hould-you-use/

lct9b1t.jpg

Conclusion

For developers not looking for direct revenues, an Android app on Google Play is probably the obvious first choice. For those who are looking to monetize their apps directly, Apple’s iOS App Store is the clear leader, with Google Play as the first place to expand after that. BlackBerry World appears to be very unattractive versus the other options from a revenue perspective. Beyond that, the Windows Phone Store seems to be more popular than it deserves (although this might be due to ports paid for by the platform owner) whilst the Amazon Appstore seems unfairly unloved. Some developers have had issues with Amazon’s developer agreement and pricing policy but the results of those using Amazon’s store suggest it’s worth another look.
    Last edited by Visa Declined; 08-10-2014 at 09:40 PM.
    Davehow likes this.
    08-10-2014 08:48 PM
    Um, you simply bought the wrong Android phone. You can disable a lot of bloatware if you know how your phone works, too.

I'm curious as to why you picked one of the worse Android OEMs to begin with, though.
    probably because they are the most visible android OEM out there, if one is new to the platform and doesn't read all the tech blogs, the first thing they are going to go for is a samsung galaxy xx

i agree they are the absolute worst with tons of bloatware that is simply inferior versions of apps that google has already built into android (s-voice anyone? i still get irritated just thinking about that huge pile of dog crap when google has the far superior google now built into the os, but samsung takes the extra time to rip it out and break the built in functionality.)

grabbing a nexus or even an htc one to try android out will lead to a far better experience. however, windows phone still runs circles around android in the low end handset user experience.
    jojoe42 likes this.
    08-10-2014 09:52 PM
    I only have one Android device that has an SD card, but all of my apps are installed to THAT SD CARD.

Here's some screenshots I took just for you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	r4PTNOd.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	76138

This device is on KitKat by the way.
    ]
    Do you use the widgets from those apps or just the shortcuts? My Android device won't let me use widgets if the app is moved to SD.
    08-10-2014 09:54 PM
    Wrong. Google has never given anyone your email address. If your email got out, it's because of something you did.
    That's just not correct. If you take a look at their privacy policy, they have changed the sharing of personal information with "outside" organizations to be supposedly opt-in (although that part appears to be specifically for "sensitive" personal information, which includes race, religion, sexuality, but not contact info, according to Google), but your information can be freely spread among Google "affiliates." Do you happen to know who all of Google's "affiliates" are?
    08-10-2014 09:58 PM
    Do you use the widgets from those apps or just the shortcuts? My Android device won't let me use widgets if the app is moved to SD.
    Games are the only large apps I ever have on my device, and I don't think I would use a widget for a game even if I could. Large apps(not games) are what, like 25-30mb? Why even bother moving something that small to the SD card?
    08-10-2014 10:02 PM
    That's just not correct. If you take a look at their privacy policy, they have changed the sharing of personal information with "outside" organizations to be supposedly opt-in (although that part appears to be specifically for "sensitive" personal information, which includes race, religion, sexuality, but not contact info, according to Google), but your information can be freely spread among Google "affiliates." Do you happen to know who all of Google's "affiliates" are?
    Show me where Google says they give your email address out.
    08-10-2014 10:03 PM
231 ... 23456 ...