Oh my.. Android, seriously?

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
You said that as if Samsung weren't the most popular smart phone manufacturer on the planet and as if the G4S wasn't their flagship device, just as the G5S is now. I can't see that it's unreasonable to expect a usable device without having to master technical details.

It may be okay for people like us, who can run the developer preview, to know which Android device to get, but clearly the vast majority of new smart phone users would be better off buying a Windows Phone.

Well.....said.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Well I don't know about some of you guys, but my Facebook photo uploads are fine. I cannot speak about the whole 'friends status on my timeline' being invisible thing because nobody posts on my timeline :( But I can certainly see what others are posting on theirs.

Kins69

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I am very curious how you do this! Photos take ages to load, and I can see only updates by public pages on my news feed. Occasionally I can see a friend's update, once or twice per day...

kayyumzp

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Everyone have their own view,
Android is a really good and very popular OS, but I have some issues with it
1) android powered phone's battery backup is really bad
2) play store has so much junk apps in search listing,
3) android lags many times

Windows phone also has some problems
1) multi tasking is not good
2) apps weekly quality isn't good compared to Android/ios
3) lack of developer interest
4) features are limited, compared to Android
Note 📝 - I am a Windows phone user since it's launch and before that I was using Windows mobile 6.5
Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Everyone have their own view,
Android is a really good and very popular OS, but I have some issues with it
1) android powered phone's battery backup is really bad
2) play store has so much junk apps in search listing,
3) android lags many times

Windows phone also has some problems
1) multi tasking is not good
2) apps weekly quality isn't good compared to Android/ios
3) lack of developer interest
4) features are limited, compared to Android
Note �� - I am a Windows phone user since it's launch and before that I was using Windows mobile 6.5
Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk
What is wrong with multi tasking?

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
What is wrong with multi tasking?
Coming from Android, I would say things like when I use a timer app, I have to leave the screen unlocked (but can use other apps) in order for the timer to go off. When using white noise apps at night or the sleep timer for music, I can lock the phone but have to be in that app when I lock the phone. It's been somewhat difficult to keep up with all of the new 'rules' to keep things working. Not a huge deal, but those are things I never worried about on Android. Still very pleased with my switch, though!

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Coming from Android, I would say things like when I use a timer app, I have to leave the screen unlocked (but can use other apps) in order for the timer to go off. When using white noise apps at night or the sleep timer for music, I can lock the phone but have to be in that app when I lock the phone. It's been somewhat difficult to keep up with all of the new 'rules' to keep things working. Not a huge deal, but those are things I never worried about on Android. Still very pleased with my switch, though!

I just set a timer for 15 seconds. Left the app and locked the screen. It worked.

rumpelst

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Multitasking on wphone sometimes is bad especially when you do something and need to fill password which you just got in message. You switch back to the fill form and it is already closed... Happily on 8.1 it is much better. I was a huge fan of Android, rooted and modes my phones excessively but I was usually doing that because they were laggy. It is like a knife with thousand features but no of them actually really works to be painless. Now with 8.1 I do not even watch at android. Month ago I booked plane tickets for me and couple other persons which did not have wphone phone cause Androids and IOS browser wasn't able to run applet's. I discovered that I can use such service like wetransfer to send big files directly from my phone... Android can't do it.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I just set a timer for 15 seconds. Left the app and locked the screen. It worked.
What app? I do recall I could do that in one, but it said due to WP limitations it may be off in the timing. When I tried a short timer it took almost another minute to go off. I figured they all had that issue. Like I said, still learning WP.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
What app? I do recall I could do that in one, but it said due to WP limitations it may be off in the timing. When I tried a short timer it took almost another minute to go off. I figured they all had that issue. Like I said, still learning WP.

#1 toolkit

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The Samsung apps are a love hate thing, but one of the good things on Android (not sure if WP can do this) is you can disable apps you don't want so you never see them

When I had my Samsung I enjoyed the Samsung version of the apps, but after a year I fancied a changed, disabled the Samsung versions and installed the Google apps, this made the app experience the same as my Nexus 7
Similar thing on the Nexus 7, Google added apps I would never use, disabled these and never see them again

Being able to uninstall them might have been preferable, but with disabling them you can get them back very easily if you ever want to in the future
on WP you can uninstall any and all apps except for system apps.
the inability to uninstall carrier loaded bloatwares is the primary reason I don't buy droids.

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
You can always do a lot of stuff (flash stock rom and all that) however I'd suggest getting an LG or Sony phone. Or stick with WP. The mobile browser actually works very well know. The only reason I even have the app (beta and normal both suck) is for the people hub integration

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
One reason that Android seems to be popular is the ability to literally do what you want if you really, really want to.

Being the most customizable platform is a benefit to a large swathe of people.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
One reason that Android seems to be popular is the ability to literally do what you want if you really, really want to.

Being the most customizable platform is a benefit to a large swathe of people.

Customization is a benefit to some people, but I hardly think that's why it's so popular. It came as an alternative to the iPhone, and took off like a forest fire. And like a forest fire, it created its own momentum which is very difficult for outside forces to stop.

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Customization is a benefit to some people, but I hardly think that's why it's so popular. It came as an alternative to the iPhone, and took off like a forest fire. And like a forest fire, it created its own momentum which is very difficult for outside forces to stop.

No... customization is definitely not "the" reason; just a big one.

I mostly agree with your synopsis. I like to say Google stumbled over backwards into mobile success.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Even Google probably didn't expect Android to ever get 84.6% of sales. When they started, the iPhone was already taking off, and Windows Mobile and BlackBerry were big.

People forget about windows mobile ( around early 2000 ) and blackberry (consumer devices also around early 2000).. lol, both of which were in existence before the google g1 hit the market.

satycool

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I got the Xpetia Z2 (read my review on amazon uk under Hard-To-Find). X2 is a very good phone which has some phone/android functions better then W8P, but its vice versa too with phone & functions on W8P better.. personally prefer W8P on Lumia 930 - Just a slicker, smoother with a crash less experience on Lumia. Xperia 2 still stutters opening apps at times, does still crash here and there, and just ain't as smooth to use - this is now to do with Android as it happened on my SG3 too. Camera on XZ2 is great but honestly a bit overrated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb