Oh my.. Android, seriously?

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I once had the chance to get a S4 mini for free...i looked at it (UI)...i puked...i said no thanks... Really who buys Samsung phones?

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Fair point. However, if one really wants to great rid of them, one can.

Not all of them. Sprint apps couldn't be disabled on my phone. One was for your account (supposedly) and the other was some ridiculous waste of themes for your phone. It was impossible to disable them. Some of the other system bloat also couldn't be disabled.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Android isn't actually bad. You just need to get the right phone. But I won't lie, there are very stupid things like apps with widgets cant be installed to the SD. WTF! I just find myself babysitting my phone more than actually using it lol. But you guys should try android, just to see what it's like. Just don't buy samsung.

If it's alright with you, I'll demur. There are two reasons:

i) I really don't trust Google and don't understand why people aren't a lot more careful with where their personal information is going as a general principle. It's far wiser to be conservative with whom you trust your privacy than opt for something because it's free. Google seem to have a policy of 'do it until someone complains' rather than commit themselves to respecting personal privacy. Information given to Google for storage is open to Google to use for their own benefit and I'm not agreeing to that.

ii) The principle above doesn't apply to a Nokia X or Amazon Fire, so when I'm tempted to give Android a try there are options open to me, but then I ask myself: What would be the benefit? Similarly I'm tempted to install Linux on my PC when I replace it, but really how would I be better off?

I am happy with Windows and Windows Phone, and like the way my information synchronises between my devices. I find Windows Phone in particular, elegant and simple to use, and I like the way it presents me with useful information. In short, it doesn't get in the way.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If it's alright with you, I'll demur. There are two reasons:

i) I really don't trust Google and don't understand why people aren't a lot more careful with where their personal information is going as a general principle. It's far wiser to be conservative with whom you trust your privacy than opt for something because it's free. Google seem to have a policy of 'do it until someone complains' rather than commit themselves to respecting personal privacy. Information given to Google for storage is open to Google to use for their own benefit and I'm not agreeing to that.

ii) The principle above doesn't apply to a Nokia X or Amazon Fire, so when I'm tempted to give Android a try there are options open to me, but then I ask myself: What would be the benefit? Similarly I'm tempted to install Linux on my PC when I replace it, but really how would I be better off?

I am happy with Windows and Windows Phone, and like the way my information synchronises between my devices. I find Windows Phone in particular, elegant and simple to use, and I like the way it presents me with useful information. In short, it doesn't get in the way.

I absolutely agree with you. Every single company that offers email, cloud or any other similar services does data mining in a big way. If you're extremely concerned about your privacy, better get off the internet. What makes a big difference is what actually happens with your data. Microsoft uses it to improve their services and make things more comfortable for its users. They earn their money with software and hardware, especially in businesses. Google's business model on the other hand is entirely based on advertising. Which is what they use your data for. And that's the very reason for me to say **** you, Google.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I took the cheapest one that was available around here, just to try... Wasn't going to take a S5 or One M8 so I took last year's model...

The Xperia Z2 looks amazing, seems to work better indeed, but is way too big. They should make a "mini" version of it.

Anyway, will try to return the S4 and get a L930 instead.

There is an Arabic saying that goes like this, I have no idea if this will make sense to you guys :p,

"if you buy cheap meat, you will regret the taste of the stew".

So next time you buy the cheapest around, don't go and say that it was bad, because it was kinda expected.

satycool

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Disagree - both cameras on both phones are good but neither obviously superior. I have found zone situations the Lunia 930 gives a better result, some situations the Z2 - and some are due to preferences of your personal liking. Z2 still has the usual Android problems as mentioned. I've got the XZ2 on contract and Lumia om sim free but personally get more joy with Lumia.

App developer's fault not the phone or android, take it up with them. Camera has also unseated lumia as the best smartphone camera for 2014 on dpreview.com
The Z2 blows the doors off of anything Nokia's produced to date

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
App developer's fault not the phone or android, take it up with them. Camera has also unseated lumia as the best smartphone camera for 2014 on dpreview.com

Obviously you forgot the Lumia 1020, with the best camera in a smartphone to date :p

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Well.. Someone doesn't realize that the article was in April. The lumia 930 wasn't even released yet. Obviously it's gonna win best smartphone camera Of 2014 around that time. Nokia didn't even make any new flagships.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Customization is a benefit to some people, but I hardly think that's why it's so popular. It came as an alternative to the iPhone, and took off like a forest fire. And like a forest fire, it created its own momentum which is very difficult for outside forces to stop.

People love android because you can get almost every worthwhile, paid app for free and side load it.

rumpelst

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
For me smoothness and stability of os is most important, that's why I won't come back to android. I gave this system a try and changed my Lumia 920 to galaxy s 3 ( flagship Phone then ) and start to regret It after one week when I was settled with my apps and system start to be laggy. Went back to Lumia.

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Ny brother uses Nexus 5..
I've heard him complain about awful battery life, poor wifi connectivity and other issues, so much for a flagship stock android phone.
Not saying windows doesn't give problem but many times they are addressed soon, while he has to wait for Android L for issue to be resolved. Something people have been hearing since Android 1 just next update will resolve this or that. It took them don't know several years to finally fix the lag and well it came with a price..Not saying windows is perfect but well if only people saw that Android isn't either. :)

anon5658834

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Ny brother uses Nexus 5..
I've heard him complain about awful battery life, poor wifi connectivity and other issues, so much for a flagship stock android phone.
Not saying windows doesn't give problem but many times they are addressed soon, while he has to wait for Android L for issue to be resolved. Something people have been hearing since Android 1 just next update will resolve this or that. It took them don't know several years to finally fix the lag and well it came with a price..Not saying windows is perfect but well if only people saw that Android isn't either. :)

Even WP8.1 suffers from some lag sometimes and all phones have wi fi or some other bugs and issues it's not just Android. And WP isn't that much better in terms of battery life to Android either.