Oh my.. Android, seriously?

Kins69

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I completely agree with you... only you seem to be forgetting one thing. The Galaxy S4 was until just a few months ago Samsung's flagship device... Besides, I'm not complaining about speed or stability of the apps, I'm simply complaining about the OS itself.

There is an Arabic saying that goes like this, I have no idea if this will make sense to you guys :p,

"if you buy cheap meat, you will regret the taste of the stew".

So next time you buy the cheapest around, don't go and say that it was bad, because it was kinda expected.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
After staying trustful to WP for years, but getting really annoyed by some of the flaws (see my thread about data roaming suddenly not working in 1 specific country, or the FB app that's so miserably slow), I decided to give a try to Android (I owned iPhone's before and they're just too expensive).

I found a cheap Galaxy S4 and I am shocked by how user-unfriendly Android is! All this bloatware installed, you don't even find the useful apps among them. You need to install a 3rd party plug-in to be able to download images from the Gmail app, seriously Google?!!

So let's face it, it's such bad experience in Android, that I am willing to continue supporting the WP platform but please MS please oh please sort out all the remaining flaws in your system and do it fast!

Oh! Good lord!
Another Android hatred thread.

You know our WP isn't any good
where three basic function of smartphone are terrible
Music(Xbox Music)
Games(Xbox Games)
and videos.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
3 members of my family own Android, and all they have had is poor battery life(even on a 2000mAh battery, and my 620 lasts longer), no updates at all(all the phones,2 Samsungs and a micromax flagship, have only 4.0/4.1 , no kitkat, horrible lag. No such issues on my 620. My dad is going to get a Lumia 1520 to replace his Samsung galaxy S Duos. He likes using my phone and is amazed at MS Office,Office remote, and the general speed of the phone.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Name me a time where using Google
Services has resulted in you getting junk mail specifically addressed to your home address, or received a telemarketing phone call to your personal number.
Do you use a web browser with cookies enabled? Congrats you're being datamined anyway, Adblock or not. No? Then congrats you're 0.1% of the population.

Using metadata to serve ads isn't going to change your life. You're still going to wake up every day, go about your daily life without evil free market society companies intruding on your home. There's not going to be men in black showing up at your door at 3am with an evil plot to stick sales flyers for Walmart in your door because you searched up Walmart on the internet.

You know something? I'd rather have some targeted advertising based on what I like. They're a lot note useful than random spam trying to sell me pantyhose as a man. I would love it if when I watched TV the only commercials I ever saw were for tech gadgets, power tools, travel deals and outdoor stores rather than commercials for Kotex and Cindy Crawford's newest anti aging skin lotion.

0.1%? I'd really like to know where you get these numbes from. The majority of smartphone, tablet and PC users isn't really tech savvy. Many of them don't even know what an ad blocker is nor do they really care about ads much.
I already said, that most companies do data mining. It's not about collecting data itself, but what actually happens with said data. Do some research and you'll find many cases, where Google sort of violated privacy. You've barely ever heard similar from other companies. They use your data for way more than just providing ads based on your interest. And yes, I've had many spam mails already that where based on data provided by Google back in the days when I used their services. Since I completely ditched Google in favor of other service providers, these are gone.
It's up to everyone themselves whether they trust a company or not. I'm just pointing some things out here. Nothing more, nothing less.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I found a cheap Galaxy S4 and I am shocked by how user-unfriendly Android is! All this bloatware installed, you don't even find the useful apps among them. You need to install a 3rd party plug-in to be able to download images from the Gmail app, seriously Google?!!

Well...it sort of is your fault that you picked exactly the WORST sort of Android to try. Samsung fills their phones with junk (probably to match their build quality...=P).
If you want to try REAL Android, you should have picked up either a Nexus 5 or a Moto X. And if you want to see Android skinning done right, pick up a Sony Xperia Z2.
But under absolutely no circumstances should you judge Android by any sort of Samsung device.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Name me a time where using Google
Services has resulted in you getting junk mail specifically addressed to your home address, or received a telemarketing phone call to your personal number.
Do you use a web browser with cookies enabled? Congrats you're being datamined anyway, Adblock or not. No? Then congrats you're 0.1% of the population.

Using metadata to serve ads isn't going to change your life. You're still going to wake up every day, go about your daily life without evil free market society companies intruding on your home. There's not going to be men in black showing up at your door at 3am with an evil plot to stick sales flyers for Walmart in your door because you searched up Walmart on the internet.

You know something? I'd rather have some targeted advertising based on what I like. They're a lot note useful than random spam trying to sell me pantyhose as a man. I would love it if when I watched TV the only commercials I ever saw were for tech gadgets, power tools, travel deals and outdoor stores rather than commercials for Kotex and Cindy Crawford's newest anti aging skin lotion.

Keep in mind Google just turned a man over to the police for what was in his Gmail. When people were worried about privacy, the response was that it was okay, this guy was specifically red-flagged for his criminal history. Why does Google know anybody's criminal history? People seemed to be contented when reminded a bad criminal was off the street, while missing the fact that Google is watching all that you do. I know that's possible with any provider, but the last story I read about Microsoft and email was them trying to protect the privacy of foreign users. I think that's the company I'd rather use.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind Google just turned a man over to the police for what was in his Gmail. When people were worried about privacy, the response was that it was okay, this guy was specifically red-flagged for his criminal history. Why does Google know anybody's criminal history? People seemed to be contented when reminded a bad criminal was off the street, while missing the fact that Google is watching all that you do. I know that's possible with any provider, but the last story I read about Microsoft and email was them trying to protect the privacy of foreign users. I think that's the company I'd rather use.

Your beloved Microsoft isn't any different. http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-responds-to-skydrive-privacy-concerns

jdholland79

May 14, 2013
Visit site
The Samsung apps are a love hate thing, but one of the good things on Android (not sure if WP can do this) is you can disable apps you don't want so you never see them

When I had my Samsung I enjoyed the Samsung version of the apps, but after a year I fancied a changed, disabled the Samsung versions and installed the Google apps, this made the app experience the same as my Nexus 7
Similar thing on the Nexus 7, Google added apps I would never use, disabled these and never see them again

Being able to uninstall them might have been preferable, but with disabling them you can get them back very easily if you ever want to in the future

There ain't no bloatware on WP I mean most everything you can unistall if you dont like it when I first got my Nokia 630 I uninstalled alot of the software that came with it there our apps you can't unistall but them are ms services so if that's what you call bloatware then WP has a few buy not nearly as much as android

mjason

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Huawei's Emotion UI is fairly simple. They ditched the app menu, so all your apps are on the home screen. It's kinda like iOS to be honest.

Miguel Correia

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Hey!
I did the opposite of you, after many years with android i did give a try to WP by buying a low cost device.
After finding myself constantly fighting for the same things over and over on android, something keeps missing and the OS version doesn't matter at all neither the device. I went to buy a WP low cost device so i got myself a lumia 630.
So far all i can say is that Android compared to WP it's a constant draw of something that keeps changing to a new OS version every time google gets tired of fixing a previous OS. Then they start another cycle until they get tired again and re-build a new OS.

Pros
-Thousands of store apps.
-Lots of personalization.
-Funny during the first three weeks.

Cons
-API is bad for nearly every single app.
-The lag, i can't understand how a device with 1gb of ram and a quad core processor keeps lagging for no reason.
-Repetitive, install launcher, uninstall launcher, apply icons, change icons and still something keeps missing.
-OS support, you will only get it regularly if you buy a high end device.
-More apps you install, more battery it drains.
-It goes slow and crashy with time.
-The whole structure is heavy.
-The market its so big that makes it hard for a low/medium device to get updates from OS to OS.

WP surprised me for real, even that i like to push the boundaries and bought a device with 512ram and it is lagless with all the possible social apps installed. The structure is pretty light, apps api are very well programmed. I can rely on WP for real. With a WP device i can do things i never could with a android with the double of the spec of this lumia 630. It's a whole different and very well done approach. I just love it.

Pros
-The whole structure.
-The minimalistic design.
-Simple, fast, intuitive and definitely reliable.

Cons
- 3 years of development seems not enough to implement a mobile data toggle on the notification center.
- No fast reply from the screen.
- Still too awesome to not buy one.

Still these two OS are different it's like Android is for fun and WP feels like a serious OS willing to do what you want without any questions.

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Not all of them. Sprint apps couldn't be disabled on my phone. One was for your account (supposedly) and the other was some ridiculous waste of themes for your phone. It was impossible to disable them. Some of the other system bloat also couldn't be disabled.

All are gone from mine. Deleted.

Not a stock operation, but it is possible.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
After staying trustful to WP for years, but getting really annoyed by some of the flaws (see my thread about data roaming suddenly not working in 1 specific country, or the FB app that's so miserably slow), I decided to give a try to Android (I owned iPhone's before and they're just too expensive).

So let's face it, it's such bad experience in Android, that I am willing to continue supporting the WP platform but please MS please oh please sort out all the remaining flaws in your system and do it fast!

As a Samsung user, i always preached that the only devices worth the price are the Note family. Still bloated with trash but good for work. The rest is pure trash kept alive with marketing and top notch hardware wrapped in subpar materials and with all the optimization and fragmentation issues that all (honest) Android users are acquainted with.

Sunrit Chroma

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I took the cheapest one that was available around here, just to try... Wasn't going to take a S5 or One M8 so I took last year's model...

The Xperia Z2 looks amazing, seems to work better indeed, but is way too big. They should make a "mini" version of it.

Anyway, will try to return the S4 and get a L930 instead.

next time for everyone who feels like tryiong android get the xperia z1 compact its small and has specs equvalent to the lumia 1520

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte