Oh my.. Android, seriously?

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
What is wrong with multi tasking?

Colin, it's called multitasking because you can do multiple things simultaneously. WP doesn't offer any real multitasking stuff.

To be clear, this is multitasking (on a device that's already old for the phone world https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHJyWiNpwhI).
Having multiple apps open that you can only use one by one is not multitasking. It's a waste of resources.
Side thought: When and if WP will have multitasking, most WP fans will be complaining because "it's becoming like Android"....without thinking that when you come later in the race all what you can do is follow. WP is seriously lacking multitasking my friend.

Last edited:

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Of course the idea of this Multi-Window feature is interesting, but I don't think its implementation in a <5" (ok, <6") screens does worth it.
I'm more interested in the quick access bar implementation, something similar to Win8.x. Just swipe from the left and get quick access to the apps.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Of course the idea of this Multi-Window feature is interesting, but I don't think its implementation in a <5" (ok, <6") screens does worth it.
I'm more interested in the quick access bar implementation, something similar to Win8.x. Just swipe from the left and get quick access to the apps.

If you were replying to me accept my apologies. I forgot to mention that function in particular is only usable (for work i mean) on 5.5" phablets and up (my opinion). However, on smaller devices you could have multiple things going on in the background which you can work with. I own a Lumia 1520. All that real estate without a split screen for me is a waste.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
If you were replying to me accept my apologies. I forgot to mention that function in particular is only usable (for work i mean) on 5.5" phablets and up (my opinion). However, on smaller devices you could have multiple things going on in the background which you can work with. I own a Lumia 1520. All that real estate without a split screen for me is a waste.

Yeah I agree, it's usable only for big screens, even though I can't say for sure how it will work w/o trying it. Maybe we could see something similar at Threshold ;)

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I agree, it's usable only for big screens, even though I can't say for sure how it will work w/o trying it. Maybe we could see something similar at Threshold ;)

I genuinely hope so. It's now very close to becoming a usable OS for those spoilt by other platforms. And i can grant you i am picky, very picky. I just wish updates were A) Substantial (not two new functions at a time with all people clapping at the crumbles Microsoft drops from the sky) and B) Quicker.

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Even WP8.1 suffers from some lag sometimes and all phones have wi fi or some other bugs and issues it's not just Android. And WP isn't that much better in terms of battery life to Android either.

I am not saying windows is perfect, read what I said. :)
And in "my" personal experience..a windows phone with 512mb ram 2000mah battery runs a lot faster and longer than Android with same specs :)
Sure there are other ways in which Android is better, but to each his own I guess.

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site

Nexus were never marketed as mass consumer products, they've always been a baseline for developers. Google cannot effectively write and test software without something to run it on.

Okay what's the point of paying $400 for a so called "flagship" phone running the official kitkat NOT the developer version and not get wifi within a range of 10 feet and then be told that wait for next update which might come after 5-6 months, and we all know we're helpless without wifi these days. :)

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
The 1020 was out at the time of that review.

Not anymore.

Yeah, 1% of your storage, I can see why you'd be concerned.

Nexus were never marketed as mass consumer products, they've always been a baseline for developers. Google cannot effectively write and test software without something to run it on.

I know a guy who's wife's cousin's brother's girlfriend's hairdresser had a phone with a problem. Personal anecdotes FTW

Yes but the reason most reviewers put the 1020 down was because of the OS (typical) and the unperfected camera processing that came with the phone. After the Black update and certainly WP8.1 mostly everything was fixed - one of the guys at work has a Z2 and we had a camera face-off at night each in the respective night modes....and we both agreed the 1020 blew the Z2 out of the water.

Yes, but Android still makes it easy to pirate paid apps, which is still bad for developers

That might be true (Nexus is an enthusiast line really), but from that it sounds like you don't expect the device to function like a modern phone should - even people I know with Nexus 5s have WiFi and battery issues....and they're the enthusiasts, too

True, Android does get a lot of flak for bugs and glitches. The Dev preview of WP8.1 certainly has a few, although iOS seems to be pretty good in terms of bugs.....that said the reason why I left is because it was so boring :p

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
The 1020 was out at the time of that review.

Not anymore.

Yeah, 1% of your storage, I can see why you'd be concerned.

I know a guy who's wife's cousin's brother's girlfriend's hairdresser had a phone with a problem. Personal anecdotes FTW
Source? There are many articles stating that WP and ios have higher app revenue, look it up. None that say Android revenue is higher.

On the Micromax there's no change in storage space while disabling apps, and its only got like 400mb available for app installation. Keeping in mind that it is a flagship and Android is "highly customisable" :p I should pretty much be able to do what I want?

I was expressing my opinion as to how people using Android in general felt after using my phone. :)

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
next time for everyone who feels like tryiong android get the xperia z1 compact its small and has specs equvalent to the lumia 1520

There is something in the screen of Sony phones that makes colors really faded compared to other devices. I like the design, like the waterproofing (which doesn't last anyways.... You can't have plastic caps on a waterproof device... It has to have wireless charging, Bluetooth connectivity and no caps). Been tempted many times but always went in other directions.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
There is something in the screen of Sony phones that makes colors really faded compared to other devices. I like the design, like the waterproofing (which doesn't last anyways.... You can't have plastic caps on a waterproof device... It has to have wireless charging, Bluetooth connectivity and no caps). Been tempted many times but always went in other directions.

Until the Z2 that was a combination of the anti-shatter films with the poor TFT display they used. On the Z1 Compact they vastly improved the display but kept the bloody films. On the Z2 they were gone and the LCD improved a lot. Even further improvements are expected with the Z3 & Z3 Compact.
Also, you should have the Bravia engine running to get a really awesome screen (Sony phones aren't ideal if you intend to flash ROMs).

However I agree that it should have built in Qi charging. And the Z3 may come with it. The Z2 had it but required a cover. Meanwhile Sony discontinued the cover which may indicate they'll integrate the Qi coil in the Z3. I surely hope so.
The caps are a necessary evil on any phone aiming at IP57 certification. There's no way yet to get a phone waterproofed with things like the microUSB uncovered.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
there are very stupid things like apps with widgets cant be installed to the SD. WTF!

I misread your post I guess, I thought you were saying that apps couldn't be installed to the SD card. I only move games to SD, because apps are small in size and games can be huge. an app that's 30mb in size isn't a problem when you have 16 or 32GB of storage.

r4PTNOd.jpg

This device is on KitKat by the way.

0EVIIxX.jpg

OQxJQO8.jpg

YRHeRXH.jpg

Last edited:

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Source? There are many articles stating that WP and ios have higher app revenue, look it up. None that say Android revenue is higher.

Show me an article that says the WP Store makes more money than Google Play.

*edit*

This ought to be common sense. An app store for a mobile OS with 80% world-wide market share is never going to make less money than an app store for an OS with 3% market share. Pick a top selling game or app that's on both platforms, then look at the number of downloads for it on WP. Then do the same thing for Android.

*edit again*

It's difficult to even find app store revenue comparisons that include the WP Store, and there's probably a reason for that. Back in March of this year, Developer Economics posted an article breaking the numbers down for app developers: http://www.developereconomics.com/which-app-stores-should-you-use/

LCT9b1T.jpg

Conclusion

For developers not looking for direct revenues, an Android app on Google Play is probably the obvious first choice. For those who are looking to monetize their apps directly, Apple’s iOS App Store is the clear leader, with Google Play as the first place to expand after that. BlackBerry World appears to be very unattractive versus the other options from a revenue perspective. Beyond that, the Windows Phone Store seems to be more popular than it deserves (although this might be due to ports paid for by the platform owner) whilst the Amazon Appstore seems unfairly unloved. Some developers have had issues with Amazon’s developer agreement and pricing policy but the results of those using Amazon’s store suggest it’s worth another look.

Last edited:

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Um, you simply bought the wrong Android phone. You can disable a lot of bloatware if you know how your phone works, too.

I'm curious as to why you picked one of the worse Android OEMs to begin with, though.

probably because they are the most visible android OEM out there, if one is new to the platform and doesn't read all the tech blogs, the first thing they are going to go for is a samsung galaxy xx

i agree they are the absolute worst with tons of bloatware that is simply inferior versions of apps that google has already built into android (s-voice anyone? i still get irritated just thinking about that huge pile of dog crap when google has the far superior google now built into the os, but samsung takes the extra time to rip it out and break the built in functionality.)

grabbing a nexus or even an htc one to try android out will lead to a far better experience. however, windows phone still runs circles around android in the low end handset user experience.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Wrong. Google has never given anyone your email address. If your email got out, it's because of something you did.

That's just not correct. If you take a look at their privacy policy, they have changed the sharing of personal information with "outside" organizations to be supposedly opt-in (although that part appears to be specifically for "sensitive" personal information, which includes race, religion, sexuality, but not contact info, according to Google), but your information can be freely spread among Google "affiliates." Do you happen to know who all of Google's "affiliates" are?

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Do you use the widgets from those apps or just the shortcuts? My Android device won't let me use widgets if the app is moved to SD.

Games are the only large apps I ever have on my device, and I don't think I would use a widget for a game even if I could. Large apps(not games) are what, like 25-30mb? Why even bother moving something that small to the SD card?

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
That's just not correct. If you take a look at their privacy policy, they have changed the sharing of personal information with "outside" organizations to be supposedly opt-in (although that part appears to be specifically for "sensitive" personal information, which includes race, religion, sexuality, but not contact info, according to Google), but your information can be freely spread among Google "affiliates." Do you happen to know who all of Google's "affiliates" are?

Show me where Google says they give your email address out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99