Oh my.. Android, seriously?

Nitesh Tilwani

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
uhhhh, I don't think so.
I have nearly 2100 contacts, and have not had issue with any platform trashing them in 6 years, mobile, cloud, or on computers, some of which were destroyed by faulty battery/power supplies.

if your contacts are gone, you deleted them.

This happened to me too suddenly one fine morning... I had synced my google contacts to Lumia 625, and suddenly one morning none of the contacts are here, nor would my Google account sync... syncing Google Accounts on other platforms is irritating as errors in syncing and connecting to sync servers is high (as noticed by me)... So currently all contacts go to Live id and not Google Contacts... Cant bear those sync errors so often...

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
To recover the contacts, go to contacts.google.com... Log in... There you can see all your contacts... Now export them wherever you want...
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 using Tapatalk

this +1

about once a year I'll export my contacts, and email them to family members, with a request for the same from them. duplicates are eliminated in about three clicks, or merged with existing contacts, and everyone is updated on five minutes (dial up) or the time it takes to sip coffee.

if it's a platform problem (wp/blackberry/whatever) I understand that, but there hadn't been a hiccup that I can remember on going this on Linux (gentoo, Debian, SuSe, mint, etc), any version of Thunderbird on any version of windows from 98 (when it wasn't rebooting) all the way to server 200whateveritisnow, Mac os9-current, or Unix.

I'd first check your phone, and your settings. gmail (and contacts servers) are likely azure anyway, and we can't be blaming contact sync oopsies on Microsoft products ;-)

edited....
gmail runs on (according to Wikipedia) Linux, so have at it ;-)

Velikib

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I took the cheapest one that was available around here, just to try... Wasn't going to take a S5 or One M8 so I took last year's model...

The Xperia Z2 looks amazing, seems to work better indeed, but is way too big. They should make a "mini" version of it.

Anyway, will try to return the S4 and get a L930 instead.
Buy Sony Experia Z1 mini. Great small phone.

Kins69

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
if your contacts are gone, you deleted them.
That's not impossible, but believe me, I certainly did not do it on purpose! For me it says enough about the platform if it lets you delete such a large amount of contacts without prior warning....

Kins69

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Either way, as long as he's been syncing to Google, I'm 99.9% sure those missing contacts are recoverable. I'm just too lazy to look up the method.
First thing I did was looking in my Gmail account. They're definitely not there. They were deleted from my corporate exchange account, never to be found again. Waiting for a system admin to find out if they can be recovered from a server backup.

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I had a couple of flagship Xperia's and they both lagged like crazy after only a couple of months. And they take ages to update to new versions. Seriously outside of Nexus, Android OEM updates are ridiculously slow compared even to official (non Dev preview) Windows Phone updates.

if you want to go with Android, the only way to go is a Nexus in my opinion.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I had a couple of flagship Xperia's and they both lagged like crazy after only a couple of months. And they take ages to update to new versions. Seriously outside of Nexus, Android OEM updates are ridiculously slow compared even to official (non Dev preview) Windows Phone updates.

if you want to go with Android, the only way to go is a Nexus in my opinion.

Unless you root and flash a different ROM on - the S4 isn't too bad ruining Cyanogenmod

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Unless you root and flash a different ROM on - the S4 isn't too bad ruining Cyanogenmod
Fair enough. I flashed some different roms on my second xperia but its too much of a hassle to go through just to get a smooth experience. Even for someone like me with a relatively big interest in smartphones. I have old pc's and old phones to mess around with when I'm bored, but for daily use, I just want something that works out of the box. And of course the average consumer probably doesn't know that the S4 runs android let alone heard of cyanogenmod.

CrossedFaith

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
As someone who switches between a GS3 and my 521...i can say Samsung does make a good phone. Sure, the bloatware sucks...but with a little rooting and removal its a fine phone. I ended up going back to my 521, after I fixed its random rebooting. Sure, android might have a lot of apps, but I really like how most stuff just works on the windows platform. Simple UI, awesome camera, the apps I want.

My GS3 is basically a mini gaming device, since some titles aren't available for WP. Mostly, the final fantasy franchise...

Aren Clegg

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I went from my nokia 521 to an lg g3. After i rooted my g3, removed the bloatware ive got a phone that not even the 1520 can touch. The only thing i miss are the live tiles. Widgets suck. Almost all the apps and games i had on my nokia i found in the google store. Was i happy with windows phone 8? Yes. Am i happier with android. Yes. My geek side is now happy.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I went from my nokia 521 to an lg g3. After i rooted my g3, removed the bloatware ive got a phone that not even the 1520 can touch. The only thing i miss are the live tiles. Widgets suck. Almost all the apps and games i had on my nokia i found in the google store. Was i happy with windows phone 8? Yes. Am i happier with android. Yes. My geek side is now happy.
You are comparing a flagship to a low end budget phone.... Obviously that is not a fair comparison.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Customization is a benefit to some people, but I hardly think that's why it's so popular. It came as an alternative to the iPhone, and took off like a forest fire. And like a forest fire, it created its own momentum which is very difficult for outside forces to stop.

Android is popular because it is damn cheap with lot of features.these things entice normal public along with appşss. So when a person buy low android with 512 mb he immediately buys 1 gb ram device within 6 months.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

rumpelst

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Tell me Android's users are you able to send a file by a wetransfer page on your browser ? You can't ? I can, was able also to book plane tickets last time when my friends with android and ios device's failed and finally asked me to do this on my Lumia....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750