Oh my.. Android, seriously?

Nitesh Tilwani

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
@salmanahmed You say that WP 7 devices were left behind. My ans that happened only once in the lifetime of WP, also all OEMs switched to WP 8 after that. But look at android, many devices still being sold are stuck at ICS or JB forever... Apart from Motorola no other OEM guarantees more than one update to phones below $300. All die there. Further you talk of apps being backward compatible, well most apps run on WP 7 at least the basic ones do... But go n look at the scene in Android, Chrome itself needs ICS to run, BBm was also initially launched for ICS + devices. Many apps in Android have a completely different UI and features for devices above ICS... Further the update pattern of Android is like Da Vinci Code... In one year from 4.1.2 to 4.4... They keep updating without even thinking how many people actually get these updates...
Coming to M8 with WP... The results of battery and performance were not only acheived by Benchmark apps they were also acheived by proper Hands On useage... Which i guess should be more reliable than Benchmark apps...

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 using Tapatalk

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
@salmanahmed You say that WP 7 devices were left behind. My ans that happened only once in the lifetime of WP, also all OEMs switched to WP 8 after that. But look at android, many devices still being sold are stuck at ICS or JB forever... Apart from Motorola no other OEM guarantees more than one update to phones below $300. All die there. Further you talk of apps being backward compatible, well most apps run on WP 7 at least the basic ones do... But go n look at the scene in Android, Chrome itself needs ICS to run, BBm was also initially launched for ICS + devices. Many apps in Android have a completely different UI and features for devices above ICS... Further the update pattern of Android is like Da Vinci Code... In one year from 4.1.2 to 4.4... They keep updating without even thinking how many people actually get these updates...
Coming to M8 with WP... The results of battery and performance were not only acheived by Benchmark apps they were also acheived by proper Hands On useage... Which i guess should be more reliable than Benchmark apps...

Apart from Nokia, what other OEM offers consistent updates in the under $300? I mean HTC just abandoned HTC 8S.

Do you know why Windows Phone 7 was abandoned? Because of a kernel update.

Do you know why a lot of Android 4.0 devices we're abandoned? Because of a kernel update that changed memory allocation from PMEM to iON.

The number of apps backward compatible with Android 4.0 and above are much much much larger than apps compatible with Windows Phone 7, plus if you have basic knowledge of rooting you can flash a Custom ROM on an ancient device to get KitKat, whereas Windows Phone 7 devices can do nothing anymore to update.

To read more about Android fragmentation, go here: http://www.androidcentral.com/android-fragmentation-seemingly-impossible-conversation

It's not as big of an issue as you people make it out to be.

And so what if Chrome is Android 4.0 and above? The majority of smartphone owners are on Android 4.x.x

And an interesting fact, both BBM and Skype work on Android 2.3 but not on Windows Phone 7.

IMO no real performance tests have been done to prove which M8 is better, battery life could be better on the Windows Phone version since it can barely do any background tasks.

Nitesh Tilwani

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
It is of course a big deal friend... Til now devices with 4.1.2 and 4.2 and 4.3 are being sold which would never get any update... Even 50% devices launching with KitKat won't be updated to Android L... At least this is not the scene with us now at WP... All devices with WP 8 got 8.1 (if not officially at least through DP)... Lets see what happens dude... Android has become a vast ocean and small devices don't matter anymore in that ecosystem... Hence WP takes away the cake with devices like Lumia 520... Even today barely any device below ₹20000/- is sure to get KitKat and Android L... What's the point of all that development there!
Then one point i forgot to highlight is that phones with as little as 512mb Ram work great with WP while even 1Gb seems less for Android... Call it the fault of custom skins or anything its a fact... These things are not good...

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
It is of course a big deal friend... Til now devices with 4.1.2 and 4.2 and 4.3 are being sold which would never get any update... Even 50% devices launching with KitKat won't be updated to Android L... At least this is not the scene with us now at WP... All devices with WP 8 got 8.1 (if not officially at least through DP)... Lets see what happens dude... Android has become a vast ocean and small devices don't matter anymore in that ecosystem... Hence WP takes away the cake with devices like Lumia 520... Even today barely any device below ₹20000/- is sure to get KitKat and Android L... What's the point of all that development there!
Then one point i forgot to highlight is that phones with as little as 512mb Ram work great with WP while even 1Gb seems less for Android... Call it the fault of custom skins or anything its a fact... These things are not good...

Huawei and HTC both have given up any future updates for their devices leaving only Nokia supporting the low end side of the market, similar to how Motorola is the only one, the situation isn't so different between both Windows Phone and Android when it comes to updates.

Versions of Android like Android L we're made specifically to support 512 MB RAM, with additions in the API for low RAM devices, if Motorola can add 1 GB RAM into their devices that's a win for everyone no?

If 512 MB RAM was enough in Windows Phone, why did Nokia make a Lumia 525? And why did Nokia face criticism for not having 1 GB RAM in Lumia 620?

Google is making serious efforts with improving updates in the low end side, I would suggest you read up on it:

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/6/26/5845562/android-one-google-the-next-billion

I think I've debunked most of your myths about Android but if you really have anything left to ask, feel free to send me a message.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Whole fact behind android One that Google going to establish is because they don't. want to leave even the low end to other os like wp.this is because if by that way wp grows it will easily beat even android because it is smooth nd loveable os.that's why moto g was released to take away that low end.in the end Google succeeded.they want only android to be monopoly which cannot be done unless ios perish that won't happen even in billion years.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Those are better than most crap I see with android. Still prefer the look of the tiles better than android.

Hehe that's your opinion and I respect it, but just wanted to share this with you the beauty of Android:

1409161004100.jpg
1409161746542.jpg
1409161650549.jpg
1409161670611.jpg
1409161684480.jpg
1409161700816.jpg

If you want to know about some more cool themes and customization for Android, join our G+ community, I can give you a link but good luck finding a quality Google+ client on Windows Phone. :p

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Hehe that's your opinion and I respect it, but just wanted to share this with you the beauty of Android:

View attachment 78633
View attachment 78640
View attachment 78636
View attachment 78637
View attachment 78638
View attachment 78639

If you want to know about some more cool themes and customization for Android, join our G+ community, I can give you a link but good luck finding a quality Google+ client on Windows Phone. :p

Looks like the same boring sea of static icons and unallocated space to me

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site

Uhmm, that's the thing if you don't like icons place a widget...or widgets. Not really a huge issue.

I wanted to share something interesting with you guys, a small comparison between the application UI between Android(HTC Sense) and Windows Phone:

1409164265700.jpg

I can't decide which looks better. :p

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Apart from Nokia, what other OEM offers consistent updates in the under $300? I mean HTC just abandoned HTC 8S.

Do you know why Windows Phone 7 was abandoned? Because of a kernel update.

Do you know why a lot of Android 4.0 devices we're abandoned? Because of a kernel update that changed memory allocation from PMEM to iON.

The number of apps backward compatible with Android 4.0 and above are much much much larger than apps compatible with Windows Phone 7, plus if you have basic knowledge of rooting you can flash a Custom ROM on an ancient device to get KitKat, whereas Windows Phone 7 devices can do nothing anymore to update.

To read more about Android fragmentation, go here: http://www.androidcentral.com/android-fragmentation-seemingly-impossible-conversation

It's not as big of an issue as you people make it out to be.

And so what if Chrome is Android 4.0 and above? The majority of smartphone owners are on Android 4.x.x

And an interesting fact, both BBM and Skype work on Android 2.3 but not on Windows Phone 7.

IMO no real performance tests have been done to prove which M8 is better, battery life could be better on the Windows Phone version since it can barely do any background tasks.

Eh, the difference is that Android 2.3 and even lower devices are still sold on a day to day basis by mvnos. Windows Phone 7 devices EOL'd son after 7.8 hit the market

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Eh, the difference is that Android 2.3 and even lower devices are still sold on a day to day basis by mvnos. Windows Phone 7 devices EOL'd son after 7.8 hit the market

I don't understand your point here, Windows Phone 7 devices are still widely available all around the world(including my country). In fact there are people who liked the old Zune and older Windows Phone UI elements and features which have since been removed.

Not everyone liked the Android 4.4 makeover when the transition was made from black and blue(HOLO) to white.

I had a friend who owned a Lumia 620 for quite some time but eventually sold it and got an already EOL'd Galaxy Nexus, why? Because he didn't care! He needed apps and most(if not all) apps are compatible with Android 4.0 and above.

If you want to read on more about the endless conversation about Android fragmentation, I recommend you read this article by WPCentral's sister site Android Central:

http://m.androidcentral.com/android-fragmentation-seemingly-impossible-conversation

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand your point here, Windows Phone 7 devices are still widely available all around the world(including my country). In fact there are people who liked the old Zune and older Windows Phone UI elements and features which have since been removed.

Not everyone liked the Android 4.4 makeover when the transition was made from black and blue(HOLO) to white.

I had a friend who owned a Lumia 620 for quite some time but eventually sold it and got an already EOL'd Galaxy Nexus, why? Because he didn't care! He needed apps and most(if not all) apps are compatible with Android 4.0 and above.

If you want to read on more about the endless conversation about Android fragmentation, I recommend you read this article by WPCentral's sister site Android Central:

http://m.androidcentral.com/android-fragmentation-seemingly-impossible-conversation
I just searched for windows phone 7 devices in several countries and can only find one phone for sale outside of eBay and that's from a sketchy carrier in Mexico... Where do you live that wp7 devices are available everywhere. Windows Phone has all the apps the average user would generally want. There's a few that we lack but at the same time, I can't settle for Android because of the poor photo editing apps, music editing apps and now even video editing apps which are now better on Windows Phone.. Even the useless apps like 9gag that you clamor for are available. They're just not as good to you, likely because of some issue adjusting to the metro interface I'm sure

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I just searched for windows phone 7 devices in several countries and can only find one phone for sale outside of eBay and that's from a sketchy carrier in Mexico... Where do you live that wp7 devices are available everywhere. Windows Phone has all the apps the average user would generally want. There's a few that we lack but at the same time, I can't settle for Android because of the poor photo editing apps, music editing apps and now even video editing apps which are now better on Windows Phone.. Even the useless apps like 9gag that you clamor for are available. They're just not as good to you, likely because of some issue adjusting to the metro interface I'm sure

What about countries that don't have any carriers that sell phones? Here in Pakistan you have to get phones from local retailers, and you can still find tons of old Windows Phones.

A lot of people that buy devices that aren't going to get updates, don't care about it being not updated, however if you really need updates you have devices like Moto E and G.

The definition of average user varies, I gave my Uncle my Lumia 520 and he has used iPhones and Androids in the past, he likes Lumia 520 a lot because his use of the device is fairly limited. Calls, messages, occasionally Facebook and Whatsapp, that's it.

But an average user might want Kik, is there any updated Kik application on the Windows Store? What about countries where HERE Maps aren't supported, do you have any good offline alternatives on Windows Phone?

Android doesn't have poor photo, video and music editing apps, in fact a lot them are better on Android than Windows Phone! Ever heard of Magisto? Snapseed, Pixlr Express? AutoRAP and Songify?

Of course you haven't heard of them, because they aren't available on Windows Phone!

The official 9GAG app doesn't even use the Metro UI, and the UI is the least of your problems because the app has a 2 star rating, as opposed to the more beautiful and functional Android app that has 4.6 star rating. 9GAG isn't the only app, you also have Instagram which is terrible on Windows Phone.

If you want to continue this discussion, message me. Because the thread's going down soon anyways.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
salmanahmad said:
I can't decide which looks better. :p

The android remote looks better, but that's because I don't like the chalkboard black-and-white theme on the right image.
However, in terms of functionality as a remote, I prefer the WP theme as the buttons stand out more to my eyes.

Of the other images you put up, I like the lock screen but I don't really dig widgets all that much. I've got my live tiles set up to show me everything I want to know without having to scroll down. I have all my less-frequent apps hidden away at the bottom.

Android on the nexus definitely looks crisp and fresh. It's got a very modern and clean UI and I like that a lot. It sometimes makes my WP home screen look tatty in comparison.

However, it's also lacking that 'buzz' my home screen has with all its live tiles of different shapes and sizes, all showing different information. my WP homescreen looks more... 'alive' I suppose is the word. It feels more active and energetic which I like.

DER1996

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Actually I think it looks kind of nice , the problem with android is far from being that of launchers , but of apps and the lack of consistency , that's to be resolved with material design ; but knowing how android devs and OEMs LOVE following rules , I doubt that'd be fixed any time soon.
So material design's success would truly apply if all the sudden Android stooped giving acces to UI for OEMs , ofcourse MS did not open source WIndows for this reason and the other elephant in the room , there's NO CHANCE IN HELL , Ms would give acces to windows kernel , that's their bread and butter there .

rumpelst

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I have to confess... I did try last month a medium class android device (xperia t3) and I assumed that the biggest android problem which was instability and chunky performance was resolved. T3 is responsive fast and stable... WWW scrolling is not as super smooth like it was on my 1020 but it is not laggy, just less frames per seconds in animation. This is quite surprising that t3 with 1GB of ram and Android 4.4 works so well.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
If I were to buy another Android device it would ONLY be a nexus. Or maybe the Motorola X. But nexus would be my first choice. At least that way there is no meddling about the OS, and Updates on the day they are released.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea