Oh my.. Android, seriously?

Kins69

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
After staying trustful to WP for years, but getting really annoyed by some of the flaws (see my thread about data roaming suddenly not working in 1 specific country, or the FB app that's so miserably slow), I decided to give a try to Android (I owned iPhone's before and they're just too expensive).

I found a cheap Galaxy S4 and I am shocked by how user-unfriendly Android is! All this bloatware installed, you don't even find the useful apps among them. You need to install a 3rd party plug-in to be able to download images from the Gmail app, seriously Google?!!

So let's face it, it's such bad experience in Android, that I am willing to continue supporting the WP platform but please MS please oh please sort out all the remaining flaws in your system and do it fast!

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Um, you simply bought the wrong Android phone. You can disable a lot of bloatware if you know how your phone works, too.

I'm curious as to why you picked one of the worse Android OEMs to begin with, though.

Kins69

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I took the cheapest one that was available around here, just to try... Wasn't going to take a S5 or One M8 so I took last year's model...

The Xperia Z2 looks amazing, seems to work better indeed, but is way too big. They should make a "mini" version of it.

Anyway, will try to return the S4 and get a L930 instead.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Um, you simply bought the wrong Android phone. You can disable a lot of bloatware if you know how your phone works, too.

I'm curious as to why you picked one of the worse Android OEMs to begin with, though.

You said that as if Samsung weren't the most popular smart phone manufacturer on the planet and as if the G4S wasn't their flagship device, just as the G5S is now. I can't see that it's unreasonable to expect a usable device without having to master technical details.

It may be okay for people like us, who can run the developer preview, to know which Android device to get, but clearly the vast majority of new smart phone users would be better off buying a Windows Phone.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Dont worry, My friends S4 already took three resets [full] and replaced microphone and still has a HANG feature which causes Slide down to not function!!! [bought before 4 months]

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Android isn't actually bad. You just need to get the right phone. But I won't lie, there are very stupid things like apps with widgets cant be installed to the SD. WTF! I just find myself babysitting my phone more than actually using it lol. But you guys should try android, just to see what it's like. Just don't buy samsung.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
After staying trustful to WP for years, but getting really annoyed by some of the flaws (see my thread about data roaming suddenly not working in 1 specific country, or the FB app that's so miserably slow), I decided to give a try to Android (I owned iPhone's before and they're just too expensive).

I found a cheap Galaxy S4 and I am shocked by how user-unfriendly Android is! All this bloatware installed, you don't even find the useful apps among them. You need to install a 3rd party plug-in to be able to download images from the Gmail app, seriously Google?!!

So let's face it, it's such bad experience in Android, that I am willing to continue supporting the WP platform but please MS please oh please sort out all the remaining flaws in your system and do it fast!
During the time you switched, they updated the Facebook app. And Facebook Beta is very fast. It's faster than FB on my iPad and Android.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
During the time you switched, they updated the Facebook app. And Facebook Beta is very fast. It's faster than FB on my iPad and Android.
I don't know about that. Facebook on other platforms is just as fast (and more stable) than the WP app.

The official Facebook app is rather lacking on the implementation of new features, too.

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
The Samsung apps are a love hate thing, but one of the good things on Android (not sure if WP can do this) is you can disable apps you don't want so you never see them

When I had my Samsung I enjoyed the Samsung version of the apps, but after a year I fancied a changed, disabled the Samsung versions and installed the Google apps, this made the app experience the same as my Nexus 7
Similar thing on the Nexus 7, Google added apps I would never use, disabled these and never see them again

Being able to uninstall them might have been preferable, but with disabling them you can get them back very easily if you ever want to in the future

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I took the cheapest one that was available around here, just to try... Wasn't going to take a S5 or One M8 so I took last year's model...

The Xperia Z2 looks amazing, seems to work better indeed, but is way too big. They should make a "mini" version of it.

Anyway, will try to return the S4 and get a L930 instead.

The M7 came out last year, you could've tried that.

When people hate on Android, they think so because Samsung is the best selling and most popular Android OEM, but their skin/firmware sucks. I prefer Vanilla Android or very close to it.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

When people hate on Android, they think so because Samsung is the best selling and most popular Android OEM, but their skin/firmware sucks. I prefer Vanilla Android or very close to it.

Agreed - ages ago I had a Huawei Boulder Android phone, locked to Orange and 2.2 (Froyo). Debranding it with Cyanogenmod (and as a result putting Gingerbread on it), it was a lot more usable and a little more responsive (as far as cheap ones go).

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

They think that and the horrible skins OEMs used to put on their devices.

Samsung and Android 2.3 and below.

Kins69

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Can't say it's fast, when it takes about 2 to 3 minutes (literally!) to upload a photo... And yes, I'm talking about the Facebook Beta app.

Moreover, it's a Microsoft app, not a Facebook app, making it impossible to see updates of your friends on your timeline - unless their privacy settings allow their updates to be seen by 3rd party apps.

So no, sorry, the current FB app on WP is still far, far from anything that I would call acceptable.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Oh sorry what I said about Facebook guys. It loads up faster but the photo uploading is abysmal. I never used that feature on wp.

Kins69

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
It does load OK indeed, it's just that photo uploading thing... which is 90% of my usage. So you understand my frustration there ;)

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site

That's the bad part of android (among countless others), how is the average consumer supposed to know they "bought the wrong android"? The whole android world is a total mess IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss