08-20-2014 09:34 PM
100 ... 234
tools
    OK just to make things clear, I'm not posting a hate thread - I think WP will one day become something real big but right now it's just not my cup of tea. Some people pointed out that the weight of the phone along made me leave WP but they missed out all my other points, even just sitting here thinking more and more on what bothered me with the phone:

INTERNET EXPLORER!

- Try going to nutmeg.com and signing in (if you have a nutmeg account) the page won't even load
    - Some web pages look so scrambled it's insane and you can't even use them at all.

For everyone's reference I'll be sticking with the 930 until the announcement of the iPhone 6 next month and will be switching over to iOS.

And finally, I don't understand why everyone's hating on Android, when I was using my Nexus 5 all I had was excellent experiences - a fast and smooth OS, plenty of functioning apps (i'm not taking in consideration the app built by 12 year olds - i'm talking about actual professional apps that have been built by companies). And Skype which is definitely a step up on what Microsoft have delivered for WP.
    Fanboys of other platforms aside (which don't count), Android is functional platform with some quirks (enormous usage of memory, fragmentation, slowliness after a while also with top notch devices, lack of safety). Apart from that, people are losing faith in Google and its strategy and the fact it cooperates hand in hand with US government doesn't help. (Despite their fake complaints for the privacy violations). The platform is strong, no doubt. However people are starting to wake up and smell the coffee.
    08-12-2014 12:00 PM
    Exactly..
    There aren't any good alternatives for the native mail and calendar apps either.. just look at Sunrise, Tempo, mailbox etc for IOS...
    Whatever happened to Flipboard that was announced almost a year ago.!! or snapchat!!
    Instagram is still beta... Pinterest is just a web wrapper..Foursqaure brings their changes first to IOS/Android in spite of MS pouring money into it.
    There used to be a PageOnce(Check) app which they don't support anymore.
    Also where are the new devices? Lumia 930 is nothing but Lumia 928 ... It has nothing in it to lure a potential buyer from S5/Iphone6 to Lumia.
    With Iphone 6 in the horizon..Good luck MS selling Lumias this fall...

So it's been a month of using the Lumia 930, and I have to say it's an impressive device, but not impressive enough. I'm a bit lost on words here but the main reason for me leaving Windows Phone altogether is that I can't seem to change my mindset from Android, looking at the quality of the apps that are on Windows Phone makes me laugh and to think how on earth can people live with apps that work like this.

Whatsapp - It's a complete joke, it just looks like Whatsapp rushed a release and stuck with it just to make Windows Phone users happy; sharing photos to the app sometimes don't even work they just take me to the chat screen.

Phonly, Nextgen, Weave etc.. - Decent apps but comparing them to Google Play Newsstand, feedly or Flipboard there isn't any competition there; I can't seem to get over how amateur the apps look.

Windows Phone 8.1 U1 - A very nice OS, but unfortunately it's something I can't get used to - Things just aren't organised and thought out properly (settings menu). What was meant to be an amazing new live lock screen app even when it was delayed turned out to be a limited cheap looking app considering it was meant to be a Microsoft published app.

Lumia 930 - The phone is great, build quality is excellent compared to what Android phones are released and the camera is brilliant but I can't understand why it's so heavy - they should've taken the weight in consideration on this phone. Other known bugs such as the bottom right of the phone overheating and the purple tint issues are annoying.

Microsoft and Apps - Microsoft aren't even favouring Windows Phone which completely pi**es me off, Skype and Office apps are first to get updated with new and better looking versions on iOS and Android with no information given for Windows Phone users. Look at Skype still being developed to run on OS X 10.5 when WP7.5 will no longer be supported. In my honest opinion I believe Microsoft are looking in to all this the wrong way and they're trying to go for the money. Releasing Office for iOS and Android will give them a greater return rather compared to Windows Phone. I can't see things changing any time soon and I'm fed up with an operating system that isn't gaining enough traction.

I know this is a rant and all I'm doing is saying the negative points about the phone/OS but I legitly think it's not the right OS for me and it's something that won't boom for a very very long time (~5-7 years if it's still available then).

Just want to know any ex iOS/Android users and what their thoughts are on the points I've put across.
    08-12-2014 01:13 PM
    Flipboard is out for windows phone 8.1.
    08-12-2014 01:50 PM
    Can you post link please?
    08-12-2014 02:34 PM
    For everyone's reference I'll be sticking with the 930 until the announcement of the iPhone 6 next month and will be switching over to iOS.
    touche..
    08-12-2014 02:41 PM
    I love the OS for the most part, but there is no denying that there are a lot of issues and it is still behind. Hopefully OEMs will start pushing the boundaries. Hopefully MS will allow them to do so.
    Andrea988 and unstoppablekem like this.
    08-12-2014 02:46 PM
    We all want to believe this but I don't.
    08-12-2014 02:47 PM
    It's out for Windows 8.1 for tablets and desktop not the phone. They showed it on a phone last year but nothings released.
    08-12-2014 05:00 PM
    Right - my bad...I have actually started using Bing News and like it as good if not better...

It's out for Windows 8.1 for tablets and desktop not the phone. They showed it on a phone last year but nothings released.
    08-12-2014 05:07 PM
    Right - my bad...I have actually started using Bing News and like it as good if not better...
    Yeah, its easy to confuse the two. /sarcasm :)
    08-12-2014 11:02 PM
    Yeah, its easy to confuse the two. /sarcasm :)
    I like Bing News as well, wish it was on IOS.
    08-12-2014 11:06 PM

It's even on the Nokia X phones...
    08-13-2014 03:52 AM
    Just going back to why people can't get on with WP, sometimes It's just the little things. Since buying my 930 a couple of weeks ago I've used the Here Drive+ sat nav app a couple of times and it has been excellent. But WHY, when I fire it up do I get a message saying "You can turn on GPS in the location settings in your phone".

JUST give me a bloody button to turn it on within the app! Android and iOS manage to do it! It's just little annoyances like this that WP seems to be lacking, almost as if it was rushed out and they have forgotten to do a couple of little things like add a "GPS On" button to the app.

The thing I can't get my head around is how can professional programmers forget or overlook something like this? If they want people to take them seriously then silly little mistakes like this need to be wiped out.
    08-13-2014 06:33 AM
    Just going back to why people can't get on with WP, sometimes It's just the little things. Since buying my 930 a couple of weeks ago I've used the Here Drive+ sat nav app a couple of times and it has been excellent. But WHY, when I fire it up do I get a message saying "You can turn on GPS in the location settings in your phone".

JUST give me a bloody button to turn it on within the app! Android and iOS manage to do it! It's just little annoyances like this that WP seems to be lacking, almost as if it was rushed out and they have forgotten to do a couple of little things like add a "GPS On" button to the app.

The thing I can't get my head around is how can professional programmers forget or overlook something like this? If they want people to take them seriously then silly little mistakes like this need to be wiped out.
    Well, I got your point in the OP. I'ts valid. You're right, the apps still needs to mature a little more first.

Even when the OS is already good, there is need to play catchup in apps. Microsoft got late at the party, after all.

But if the devil is in the details, there are plenty of suggestions to send to Microsoft. I guess they'll really apreciate it and include some in the next GDR.

I really like to use and observe everyday the system growing and improving itself, its the why I like to live in the edge with WP and the Developer Preview program. This sensation is irreplaceable for a programmer tech-enthusiast like me. Differents users got different needs, though.

If you want funcionality and/or prefer something better defined and refined, the iPhone is the better choice out there. Good luck with your choices!
    08-13-2014 07:31 AM
    Well, I got your point in the OP. I'ts valid. You're right, the apps still needs to mature a little more first.

Even when the OS is already good, there is need to play catchup in apps. Microsoft got late at the party, after all.

But if the devil is in the details, there are plenty of suggestions to send to Microsoft. I guess they'll really apreciate it and include some in the next GDR.

I really like to use and observe everyday the system growing and improving itself, its the why I like to live in the edge with WP and the Developer Preview program. This sensation is irreplaceable for a programmer tech-enthusiast like me. Differents users got different needs, though.

If you want funcionality and/or prefer something better defined and refined, the iPhone is the better choice out there. Good luck with your choices!
    I'm happy enough with the phone overall (and the iPhone doesn't have a big enough screen and is too overpriced to take my money), but it's just a shame it is let down by things like this that are really not complicated issues to overcome, but basic functionality that should already be part of the OS.
    08-13-2014 12:07 PM
    Wp apps certainly uglier and not as developed as ios or android...thats for sure. Heck we dont,even have bbc!
    08-13-2014 09:36 PM
    Wp apps certainly uglier and not as developed as ios or android...thats for sure. Heck we dont,even have bbc!
    Wrong on both counts
    08-14-2014 12:16 AM
    I'm not a big app user but I'm quite happy with the apps I'm using I have to say. Some are definitely not as developed and don't have the features their Android counterparts have. What they look like is a matter of personal opinion. Most seem to suit the OS.

Here Drive+ sat nav is fantastic. At a meeting place I had to go to yesterday I was given directions to the building entrance "because the sat nav won't take you to the door", but it did, right to the very door. I had to get there via an adjacent road, the building was the other side of a wall but it directed me past the wall and around the block right to the entrance. I expected it to tell me I was there as I drove down the road by the wall.
    08-14-2014 12:24 PM
    I traded my 1520 for a Moto X and could not be happier.... Android is just superior to windows phone is so many ways.
    08-15-2014 02:27 PM
    I traded my 1520 for a Moto X and could not be happier.... Android is just superior to windows phone is so many ways.
    Why would you do that? I'm not mad about you leaving the platform, just wondering why you got the Moto X, as the X+1 is coming out in just a few weeks!
    08-16-2014 07:44 PM
    Why would you do that? I'm not mad about you leaving the platform, just wondering why you got the Moto X, as the X+1 is coming out in just a few weeks!
    I know, I will get the X+1, but I was just so tired of not having the apps I mostly use (Facebook, Youtube, Google) the way they should run that I just agreed to an 'older' hardware but with the apps fully functional.

I always said it, I really like Windows Phone and I love the Hardware, but until the App gap is closed (quantity and quality) and WP gets respect from Developers, I just see WP as what happened to RIM (Blackberry), they had nice hardware (I actually worked for 4 years for them and got to try every single device they had), but RIM did not have full support from major app developers, it wasn't until they decide to include the Android RunTime but it was to late. I still have a Blackberry Playbook (gift from the company) and still think is a beautiful piece of hardware, but with no apps..
    08-18-2014 02:14 PM
    I know, I will get the X+1, but I was just so tired of not having the apps I mostly use (Facebook, Youtube, Google) the way they should run that I just agreed to an 'older' hardware but with the apps fully functional.

I always said it, I really like Windows Phone and I love the Hardware, but until the App gap is closed (quantity and quality) and WP gets respect from Developers, I just see WP as what happened to RIM (Blackberry), they had nice hardware (I actually worked for 4 years for them and got to try every single device they had), but RIM did not have full support from major app developers, it wasn't until they decide to include the Android RunTime but it was to late. I still have a Blackberry Playbook (gift from the company) and still think is a beautiful piece of hardware, but with no apps..
    I still love WP, and I want the HTC W8. The problem is that every damn WP is exclusive to one or two carriers in the US. So I can either keep holding onto my 920 or switch to the Moto X+1. Maybe WP still needs another 5 years to develop...
    mary beth hale likes this.
    08-18-2014 02:59 PM
    I've had my 930 for a few weeks now. Love the active tiles...don't need to open the commute app, the tile tells me it will take 54 minutes to get home from work...i know where the traffic will be. I have a new hatred for everything Google (Waze app sucks on WP) but all these big companies screw each other over...really stupid in my opinion how they all operate. Really like the wireless battery charging. OneDrive is my favorite thing...thousands of pictures and home videos at my finger tips...no stupid Flickr, Facebook, or Instagram to deal with. Wonder if I'll miss my iPhone in the long-run, but overall pleased with my decision to switch.
    Mach_E and Andrea988 like this.
    08-20-2014 12:52 PM
    touche..
    Good choice, I can't think of a better one.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    08-20-2014 09:30 PM
    Not much going on here anymore.
    Good luck to the OP and thank you everyone for the input here.
    08-20-2014 09:34 PM
100 ... 234