Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Leave! Go. Nobody cares. At the end of the day, the best phone is the one that works for you.
Follow your road.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Good luck with your future phones, but I just wanted to add that weight isn't bad to everyone. I would've skipped the 930 if it was anywhere near 130-140g range in weight. Even the 160g and something is on the brink of being too light for my taste. It's a big device, it can't be too light or it feels like a toy. Weight is a big factor in all designing in how many people get a quality impression, not just in mobile phones but other things too. That said, there can be too much of it, too. Perhaps my 920 was a bit too heavy for the size of the device, but I never really minded it, but it probably crossed some threshold, like the weight was too apparent, like "wow, this thing is quite heavy", you don't want to emphasize it too much. I think on the 930 it's just spot on. Definitely not too light to feel like a toy, but doesn't make me feel like "wow, this is heavy".

But Nokia/Microsoft should know they the majority of people like a high quality phone that is thin and light. Not Samsung, because they have bad quality. But the iPhone 5s and HTC one m8 are thin, light, and have treat build quality. We said the same about how we like the weight on the 920, and how it felt well built, but many hated it. I know my mom and dad do. When the 1020 is lighter. And built in Qi for added size and weight is NOT an excuse.

sandeepsb

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Leave! Go. Nobody cares. At the end of the day, the best phone is the one that works for you.
Follow your road.

I'm not probably going to leave fully. I'll be selling my 930 and buying a cheaper phone like the 920/925 to develop apps for WP8.1. But as a day to day device I can't really use it

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
To answer the OP. There is no perfect OS. There are always cons. Windows Phone's con is apps. Try the others and see what you like best. However there was once there was an OS called symbian...

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not probably going to leave fully. I'll be selling my 930 and buying a cheaper phone like the 920/925 to develop apps for WP8.1. But as a day to day device I can't really use it

I think I considered leaving once but I had the shakes like an alcoholic on his first day of rehab. I can live within how this OS functions currently and I realized that as long as I wasn't vested in WP, I would never get to satiety. But having been androrian in a former life, I know the meaning of crap apps and android is replete with em. They have a lot of apps which makes that fact 'less visible' pretty much like IOS, but the mainstream apps are just as much garbage as anything else I've ever used. Android is where the term FORCE CLOSE was born.

sandeepsb

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I think I considered leaving once but I had the shakes like an alcoholic on his first day of rehab. I can live within how this OS functions currently and I realized that as long as I wasn't vested in WP, I would never get to satiety. But having been androrian in a former life, I know the meaning of crap apps and android is replete with em. They have a lot of apps which makes that fact 'less visible' pretty much like IOS, but the mainstream apps are just as much garbage as anything else I've ever used. Android is where the term FORCE CLOSE was born.

But android has moved a long way from the force close. I tried out android L - the pre release of the new OS. And it's a huge step forward from anything they've released in the past.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
But Nokia/Microsoft should know they the majority of people like a high quality phone that is thin and light

Agreed. The thing is, if you have a phone that is not particularly comfortable to hold for long periods, particularly on a long call, and it's heavy too you will soon begin to notice the difference. Unfortunately the 930 fits this scenario.

It doesn't matter to me, I don't make a lot of calls and work from home so I'm not out an awful lot or for long periods of time but I can imagine it making a big difference to somebody who makes a lot of calls. Some people like a heavy phone but I doubt they are in the majority.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. The thing is, if you have a phone that is not particularly comfortable to hold for long periods, particularly on a long call, and it's heavy too you will soon begin to notice the difference. Unfortunately the 930 fits this scenario.

It doesn't matter to me, I don't make a lot of calls and work from home so I'm not out an awful lot or for long periods of time but I can imagine it making a big difference to somebody who makes a lot of calls. Some people like a heavy phone but I doubt they are in the majority.

In my case something too thin and light tends to slip out out my hand when I'm typing. No, I don't make many phone calls. The phone is the feature I use least, and I don't even have a landline. I just prefer any method of communication other than voice calls.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I think it depends on the phone and the owner. My Moto G is quite slim but has a grippy back which is also curved, and the 143g weight is just about right, making it easy to hold for long periods whether calling or typing.

The 930 on the other hand is for me, slightly heavier and more unwieldy than I would like although of course it's a bigger and better phone so I can accept the trade off.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I know that feeling. Like something's missing inside you

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think it depends on the phone and the owner. My Moto G is quite slim but has a grippy back which is also curved, and the 143g weight is just about right, making it easy to hold for long periods whether calling or typing.

The 930 on the other hand is for me, slightly heavier and more unwieldy than I would like although of course it's a bigger and better phone so I can accept the trade off.

A friend of mine has a SGS4. I couldn't hold it until she got a case. It was just too light and slippery. iPhones without cases are too light and tiny for me to comfortably use. They're still too small for me with cases, but at least they're not so light.

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
d78.gif

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
But android has moved a long way from the force close. I tried out android L - the pre release of the new OS. And it's a huge step forward from anything they've released in the past.

Don't let the 'new interface' fool you. Underneath it's 'same sh*t, different day".....

sandeepsb

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
So it doesn't happen or not as much?

When I used my N5 I don't think I had come across a force close, if anything it comes from the bloatware that Samsung/HTC put on the phones which cause the OS to be sluggish.

If you don't know the difference pure Android is just as fast as WP8.* and iOS - it's the skinning and extra (poorly coded) apps manufacturers put on the phones.

Try a Nexus 5 or Google Edition Galaxy/HTC and you'll understand the difference.

Miguel Correia

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm a bit lost on words here but the main reason for me leaving Windows Phone altogether is that I can't seem to change my mindset from Android, looking at the quality of the apps that are on Windows Phone makes me laugh and to think how on earth can people live with apps that work like this.

Well first of all that so called "laugh" about the apps, clearly shows how naive you are about programing. WP apps market its far from being the best, but all the official apps have no possible comparison with Android ones. WP apps are faster, they come with less bugs, and they work on a total different API, a better API.

Secondly, windows phone is not for tweaking personalize or spend the first three weeks changing launchers and applying icon packs, or finding widgets and lockscreens. WP is a system for people that want performance and a native beautiful minimalistic design. Before you get a WP device you need to understand what you are getting, this is no playground like android. This is lighter, simpler and faster. I could mention hundreds of negative points on android, more negative points that what you find in WP. MS gave to birth 3 years ago and you can find more negative points on Android than on WP. That for me is a serious laugh starting with the long life support.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Heretic! burn the witch!!!! hehe

Seriously though ive been both iOS and Android before coming to WP. The gap between where they are and where they need to be was massive and its still big today. The only niggling thing in my mind is Threshold. The massive disjointed way in which MS have worked in the past has led to the poor implementation of something that could have been outstanding. They are obviously going through a transition and HW/SW will work well and HOPEFULLY the teams start to communicate code to each other freely, if not, and the old culture remains, I fear that MS have wasted 7 billion on Nokia. They C A N N O T afford to screw it up, but over caution is also dangerous so i hope the balance is what it needs to be.

Good luck with Android, personally it actually makes me sick thinking of where Google started with their browser 10/15 years ago, its clean simplicity with no advertising to the privacy/advertising rape that is going on today, but each to their own and if it works for you then so be it :)

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Don't let the 'new interface' fool you. Underneath it's 'same sh*t, different day".....
Yeah, you just don't know sh*t of what you are talking about, Android L is completely different. Dalvik is no longer used and now ART is the default runtime engine.

I like WP as an OS but not the quality/selection of apps. I see MS going the same path BlackBerry (former RIM) took and we all know how that ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99