Status
Not open for further replies.

sandeepsb

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
So it's been a month of using the Lumia 930, and I have to say it's an impressive device, but not impressive enough. I'm a bit lost on words here but the main reason for me leaving Windows Phone altogether is that I can't seem to change my mindset from Android, looking at the quality of the apps that are on Windows Phone makes me laugh and to think how on earth can people live with apps that work like this.

Whatsapp - It's a complete joke, it just looks like Whatsapp rushed a release and stuck with it just to make Windows Phone users happy; sharing photos to the app sometimes don't even work they just take me to the chat screen.

Phonly, Nextgen, Weave etc.. - Decent apps but comparing them to Google Play Newsstand, feedly or Flipboard there isn't any competition there; I can't seem to get over how amateur the apps look.

Windows Phone 8.1 U1 - A very nice OS, but unfortunately it's something I can't get used to - Things just aren't organised and thought out properly (settings menu). What was meant to be an amazing new live lock screen app even when it was delayed turned out to be a limited cheap looking app considering it was meant to be a Microsoft published app.

Lumia 930 - The phone is great, build quality is excellent compared to what Android phones are released and the camera is brilliant but I can't understand why it's so heavy - they should've taken the weight in consideration on this phone. Other known bugs such as the bottom right of the phone overheating and the purple tint issues are annoying.

Microsoft and Apps - Microsoft aren't even favouring Windows Phone which completely pi**es me off, Skype and Office apps are first to get updated with new and better looking versions on iOS and Android with no information given for Windows Phone users. Look at Skype still being developed to run on OS X 10.5 when WP7.5 will no longer be supported. In my honest opinion I believe Microsoft are looking in to all this the wrong way and they're trying to go for the money. Releasing Office for iOS and Android will give them a greater return rather compared to Windows Phone. I can't see things changing any time soon and I'm fed up with an operating system that isn't gaining enough traction.

I know this is a rant and all I'm doing is saying the negative points about the phone/OS but I legitly think it's not the right OS for me and it's something that won't boom for a very very long time (~5-7 years if it's still available then).

Just want to know any ex iOS/Android users and what their thoughts are on the points I've put across.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Similar feel from iOS to android... never understood how people can deal with android considering the difference in quality between the two.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Wish you luck back on Android. I've been with WP since the first ones came out a few years ago. Some of the apps you mention, I don't use, so can't comment. As for the general OS and live tiles, I think you will miss those.

With respect to your comment on WP being 5 - 7 years from really being ready for prime time, I hope you are wrong.

Just in case you didn't know, MS makes more money off licensing agreement with Android sellers than they make on WP.

Last edited:

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
So it's been a month of using the Lumia 930, and I have to say it's an impressive device, but not impressive enough. I'm a bit lost on words here but the main reason for me leaving Windows Phone altogether is that I can't seem to change my mindset from Android, looking at the quality of the apps that are on Windows Phone makes me laugh and to think how on earth can people live with apps that work like this.

Whatsapp - It's a complete joke, it just looks like Whatsapp rushed a release and stuck with it just to make Windows Phone users happy; sharing photos to the app sometimes don't even work they just take me to the chat screen.

Phonly, Nextgen, Weave etc.. - Decent apps but comparing them to Google Play Newsstand, feedly or Flipboard there isn't any competition there; I can't seem to get over how amateur the apps look.

Windows Phone 8.1 U1 - A very nice OS, but unfortunately it's something I can't get used to - Things just aren't organised and thought out properly (settings menu). What was meant to be an amazing new live lock screen app even when it was delayed turned out to be a limited cheap looking app considering it was meant to be a Microsoft published app.

Lumia 930 - The phone is great, build quality is excellent compared to what Android phones are released and the camera is brilliant but I can't understand why it's so heavy - they should've taken the weight in consideration on this phone. Other known bugs such as the bottom right of the phone overheating and the purple tint issues are annoying.

Microsoft and Apps - Microsoft aren't even favouring Windows Phone which completely pi**es me off, Skype and Office apps are first to get updated with new and better looking versions on iOS and Android with no information given for Windows Phone users. Look at Skype still being developed to run on OS X 10.5 when WP7.5 will no longer be supported. In my honest opinion I believe Microsoft are looking in to all this the wrong way and they're trying to go for the money. Releasing Office for iOS and Android will give them a greater return rather compared to Windows Phone. I can't see things changing any time soon and I'm fed up with an operating system that isn't gaining enough traction.

I know this is a rant and all I'm doing is saying the negative points about the phone/OS but I legitly think it's not the right OS for me and it's something that won't boom for a very very long time (~5-7 years if it's still available then).

Just want to know any ex iOS/Android users and what their thoughts are on the points I've put across.

Better run, I can see the torches and pitchforks lol.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

BigCTM

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I just switched from Android to Windows Phone and honestly the app situation to me is not that big of a deal. Take the Best Buy app as an example. It's a joke on Windows Phone. However I have just pinned the mobile website to start and it's just as good as the app if not better. I am honestly not concerned about how an app looks as long as the content is as good (especially for news apps). I can get the same news on Windows Phone as I could on Android and I honestly could care less how it looks. Flipboard is available for Windows Phone 8.1 but I have not seen it yet. The new updated Facebook app works fine for me on Windows Phone. I actually like how it defaults to most recent instead of top stories.

Do not get me wrong - there are some apps that I miss on Android but I like the operating system better for Windows Phone that the app situation is just not that big of a deal.

The GPS is much better on the icon. It gets a signal faster and the directions are actually more accurate. I pretty much stopped using google maps.

I have the Lumia Icon and the screen is the best I have seen on any device. The camera is awesome even with the slight shutter delay. The camera on the G2 is a joke comparatively. I do not plan on going back to Android anytime soon - that's for sure.

sandeepsb

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I feel the same, android= poor quality ported apps.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

I wouldn't say Android has poorly ported apps. Android has grown so much that the quality of apps are on par with the the iOS versions and now there's no such thing as a "port" since they're released on iOS and Android at roughly the same time. Android makes up a huge part of smartphone market share.

Look at the twitter app for both Android, near enough the exact same.

nielsniels

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
The GPS is much better on the icon. It gets a signal faster and the directions are actually more accurate. I pretty much stopped using google maps.
Do you mean much better on the Icon than on the 930? If so, is the 930 able to keep a GPS connection in forests at all? I'm really interested to know how the GPS in the 930 performs, I can find very little detail about it on the internet. :straight:

BigCTM

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
No I mean better than google maps. No idea about how it compares to the 930...

Do you mean much better on the Icon than on the 930? If so, is the 930 able to keep a GPS connection in forests at all? I'm really interested to know how the GPS in the 930 performs, I can find very little detail about it on the internet. :straight:

sandeepsb

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Also another thing to add to the list is MKV support. I hate how limited the operating system is that you can't even have decent MKV support. The only app I found to work for me was MoliPlayer Pro and that still requires that you store the MKV file in the Camera Roll as a hack. It should be a simple feature to run any file from any folder.

nielsniels

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
No I mean better than google maps. No idea about how it compares to the 930...
Ah, alright. Thanks.
I would suppose the GPS module/antenna is the same in Icon and 930.
So can you share any experience with using your Icon for navigation while in forests?
A L930 review on notebookcheck pointed out that the reviewer's 930 lost it's GPS signal as soon as he entered a small forest (not particularly dense), but he didn't note much details about how he used the GPS. Maybe his phone was in a backpack or in his pocket while he recorded his bike trip, affecting the reception, maybe the assisted GPS wasn't on - I really wouldn't know, so that's why I'd like to hear from others who have a 930/Icon :D ! This is quite important to me since I often use my phone to navigate on my bicycle :grin:.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Ah, alright. Thanks.
I would suppose the GPS module/antenna is the same in Icon and 930.
So can you share any experience with using your Icon for navigation while in forests?
A L930 review on notebookcheck pointed out that the reviewer's 930 lost it's GPS signal as soon as he entered a small forest (not particularly dense), but he didn't note much details about how he used the GPS. Maybe his phone was in a backpack or in his pocket while he recorded his bike trip, affecting the reception, maybe the assisted GPS wasn't on - I really wouldn't know, so that's why I'd like to hear from others who have a 930/Icon :D ! This is quite important to me since I often use my phone to navigate on my bicycle :grin:.

Doesn't GPS rely on line of sight? If so then you're going to lose the signal whatever phone or device you use in the same circumstances.

I only got my 930 last week but was hugely impressed by the Here Drive+ sat nav app but only used it on motorway and through a couple of towns on a clear day on a 120 mile round trip.

I think the 'assisted' mode only helps it locate satellites quicker on startup, it doesn't do anything else once the satellites have been locked on to as far as I am aware. That's my understanding of it anyway.

nielsniels

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't GPS rely on line of sight? If so then you're going to lose the signal whatever phone or device you use in the same circumstances.
Yes, but I meant that I don't know what his circumstances were except for being in a forest; the phone in backpack or pocket thing is a guess I made since the reviewer didn't write whether or not he mounted the phone to have a clear view at the sky (disregarding trees, of course)
But I have an topic asking about the GPS, no replies so far, so if you like, you may reply in that topic instead so this very topic won't derail too much ;)

jlp34876

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Also another thing to add to the list is MKV support. I hate how limited the operating system is that you can't even have decent MKV support. The only app I found to work for me was MoliPlayer Pro and that still requires that you store the MKV file in the Camera Roll as a hack. It should be a simple feature to run any file from any folder.

I use mkv player pro and the microsoft file manager. I just browse through the file manager on any folder and play the video with mkv player.

VLC is also coming this month I think.

rex.reyesiii

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

Hmm Am curious, can android play those files on a 50" Inch TV @1080p and DTS Master Audio or Dolby True HD?

I advise not to watch movies on Phones and just get the bluray and watch em on a 5.1 or 7.1 Home Theatre setup for the best experience.

If you want to watch movies on phones in general, then a different format can suffice.

This is not a valid reason for not liking WP imho.

Last edited:

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site

I have to admit the more I use my 930 the less impressed I am. However if you have the purple tinge/overheating issue you should return it. I got mine replaced and it's fine now. Battery life could be better, not impressive for a non-changeable battery.

I can't complain about the weight because I knew about that before I bought it but you do wonder where the extra heft comes from. It would help if the phone was a little more comfortable to hold and had a grippier back. I've come from a Moto G which is an absolute dream to hold and fits like a glove in comparison. I don't want to hide it in a case but I don't want to drop it either and I don't have the firmest grip so it's feeling more and more like a case of when rather than if it happens.

I have to agree about the settings menu which is a total mess. I can't for the life of me understand why it's not ordered in alphabetical order, or at least give us the option. But to be fair, android isn't really any better in this respect, but it just seems more obvious on the 930 for some reason, I'm not sure why.

And the lock screen, I don't get why I only have the option to see one notification, such as email, and only display an icon for everything else, such as an incoming text or calendar reminder. It's so feature phone territory. And why can't they put a notification message at the top of the screen where it's easier to see instead of right at the bottom under the date?

On the internet, I have found a number of sites where trying to select an option from a drop-down banner doesn't do anything. Is it the sites? Well I have tried 3 different rated browsers and they work on android.

Youtube site, screen often just goes black/blank when flipping the phone to landscape mode when watching a video in full screen mode.

Barcode scanner, can't find one that isn't fiddly to use if they work at all. With android phones the app simply called "Barcode scanner" automatically saves barcodes and one touch allows you to paste them into your desired field - in my case, adding tracked barcode numbers to ebay dispatches - on any android phone. On this you have to manually save to the clipboard. The built-in option scans QR codes (apparently) but bizarrely not barcdoes.

Downloaded apps. Once downloaded it is utterly ridiculous that you get a screen that says "From Start, swipe over to see your downloaded apps" instead of just providing an "Open app" button. Even the "View" button on the "History" tab only takes you to the app list rather than the app itself. That's very poor.

I can't edit my Excel spreadsheet. It was suggested it might be a setting in the files themselves but if it is I can't find it, and I can open and edit them on any android phone I have used. Sometimes it's hard to believe this is a Microsoft phone.

No smart dial which is ridiculous in 2014.

No Cortana yet and apparently it could be months away. Yes I can install the developer preview but that voids the warranty and I shouldn't have to do that anyway.

Still waiting on any news of the free accessory kit 2 weeks after purchase. That's not necessarily the fault of Nokia or MS but surely it would have made more sense to bundle them?

Overall I do like the phone and I do like the OS but it will have to improve a lot if my next purchase is going to be a Windows phone. I'm generally a lot more happy than unhappy but it hasn't made me want to forget android.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Good luck with your future phones, but I just wanted to add that weight isn't bad to everyone. I would've skipped the 930 if it was anywhere near 130-140g range in weight. Even the 160g and something is on the brink of being too light for my taste. It's a big device, it can't be too light or it feels like a toy. Weight is a big factor in all designing in how many people get a quality impression, not just in mobile phones but other things too. That said, there can be too much of it, too. Perhaps my 920 was a bit too heavy for the size of the device, but I never really minded it, but it probably crossed some threshold, like the weight was too apparent, like "wow, this thing is quite heavy", you don't want to emphasize it too much. I think on the 930 it's just spot on. Definitely not too light to feel like a toy, but doesn't make me feel like "wow, this is heavy".

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm not overly concerned with the weight and I agree that a little extra weight offers the feeling of quality but I do think it is a little on the heavy side, as opposed to "just right".

Reading through the list it probably sounds overly condemning. I'm not a big user of too many apps and I think the phone is great overall but those little nagging issues should not be prevalent on a flagship handset in 2014, that's my main concern. Had I purchased, say, a 630 I would not have been so critical.

Not being able to directly open a new app, smart dial or go straight to an unanswered call to redial it is pretty poor really. These are not issues that I would have thought required an awful lot of technical expertise on the part of the developers to address, but they should not be there in the first place. Sometimes it feels as if it was rushed out before it was finished properly.

I think the point is that most android phones I have bought recently I have been impressed to find a few features on board that I didn't necessarily expect. With WP it's the opposite, basic features you do expect are not there and that's the problem.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm not overly concerned with the weight and I agree that a little extra weight offers the feeling of quality but I do think it is a little on the heavy side, as opposed to "just right".

Reading through the list it probably sounds overly condemning. I'm not a big user of too many apps and I think the phone is great overall but those little nagging issues should not be prevalent on a flagship handset in 2014, that's my main concern. Had I purchased, say, a 630 I would not have been so critical.

Not being able to directly open a new app, smart dial or go straight to an unanswered call to redial it is pretty poor really. These are not issues that I would have thought required an awful lot of technical expertise on the part of the developers to address, but they should not be there in the first place. Sometimes it feels as if it was rushed out before it was finished properly.

I think the point is that most android phones I have bought recently I have been impressed to find a few features on board that I didn't necessarily expect. With WP it's the opposite, basic features you do expect are not there and that's the problem.

It is likely very subjective, yes, but I almost bursted out laughing when I grabbed my friends Nexus. Given, it's your average run of the mill plastic phone, so I guess there isnt much else to expect, but to me that weight for a device that large is just terrible, it does not feel like quality at all. Then again, iPhones, despite that around the same weight, are so much smaller that it feels more proportionate. Overall though looking at market shares, a lot of people dont mind overly light phones for their size, so it's just opinions I guess.

I was very close to going for an Xperia Z2 over 930, the only reason I did was that I had already ordered the 930 and didn't bother returning it anymore when it was in a box right in front of me already :D There are parts of the OS I like, but I can imagine the problems you had. I do also realize that at least for me going for Android would've been a trade off somewhere, for everything I would've gained (more and better apps), I would've lost something else (the general feel, design and "flow" of WP), but yeah, I would've liked an OS that wouldn't have been limited by much other than hardware :D

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I considered the Z2 having had an Xperia P in the past which was excellent. But I bought the Sony Z tablet and to be honest it's not as good as I thought it would be and often seems quite slow. I'm not sure why, it shouldn't be given the specs but my Moto G seems to be quicker.

I wanted a bigger screen really and originally intended buying the LG G3 which is what I had gone to look at. The fact that the shop didn't have a working model and the awfully cheap plasticky feel of the dummy immediately put me off - if you ever held an HTC One then held the G3 you would understand.

Right at that moment I immediately decided the G3 wasn't for me. At least with the Nokia I feel as if I have bought a quality piece of kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb