Leaving Windows Phone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

13Elves

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I switched to WP mainly out of frustration w/Sprint and its terrible reception in my area. The cheapest way to a Tmo sim was thru the 521. I had always wanted to give WP for a whirl so I got a twofer: a better carrier and a new OS to explore.

When the 635 became available I immediately sold the 521 and scooped that up; for 2 mos now and on 2 different devices I can say I've had ample time to form an opinion concerning WP.

With WP as my daily driver I am less efficient, less capable and more hindered than using Android. The much ballyhooed 8.1 update brought only minor fixes. For example the notification shade is pitiful when compared to the notification capabilities of even one of Samsung's lower end devices.

I am NOT bashing WP, I am telling it how it is for me; your mileage will vary.

Not even counting the awful app situation the native apps are just not functional in the way we expect smartphones to be. Attachments in Messaging, adding contacts in People, Playlists in music, folders in camera (both Nokia and phone versions), Sharing in the Bing news and financial apps--all those are broken. Let's not even get into IE and it's myriad of issues.

Again, I am not bashing, but when I can't share a simple link from the news app to any of my social networks, there's a problem!

I have to carry around my de-commissioned S3 just to have access to basic but very important apps (WP doesn't have my banking app but contrast that to Android that has not only it but also my two prepaid credit card apps too!).

With both the 521 and 635 I actually used the phones less because the terrible screens made outdoor visibility nearly impossible. When I had to use the phones they gave me headaches because of the severe reflectiveness of the screens. It was a horror to answer an email.

As I've stated, my previous phone was an S3 bought this February, I am hardly some gadget hound, always needing the absolute newest and best; so my complaints are not that of a person accustomed to high end devices.

WP as an OS needs tons of work and the devices that it runs on need some serious upgrades. Look at the newest low end Samsung phone available at Tmo, the $216 Samsung Galaxy Avant, that runs rings around even WP's high end devices.

I really wanted to like WP but its functionality is too limited to be considered a modern smartphone.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
There is still quite a big price differential between a new 521 and a used S3. $216 Galaxy Avant is still about $80 more than the Lumia 635 and about $150 more than the 521.

Having said that, I am sorry to hear that WP did not meet your specific requirements.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Apps - fair enough. That's quickly becoming less and less of a problem, but if you're in that dire of a need of these apps, fair enough.

Screen - comparing the outdoor visibility of a $100 phone to a 2 year old HIGH END phone? Odd, but whatever floats your boat. I personally find that comparison disingenuous. A Lumia 920 (two year old flagship) has better outdoor readability than almost any phone I've owned, including the S3.

Links to social network - huh? You copy / paste it. I share links on facebook all the time. If the app doesn't have a share button, I just manually select, copy/paste the link. Not sure what you mean here. Can you clarify? You say "the news app"... Do you mean Bing News? That definitely has a share button and even includes a tab SPECIFICALLY for social networks.

Also, are we not over-exaggerating by saying "too limited to be considered a modern smartphone"? I think we are. You list the lack of an actionable notification center, but even a $700 iPhone doesn't have that. Is the iPhone not a smartphone? Or is Android the only "modern" smartphone, despite how silly that statement sounds.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I understand... You make most excellent points...

I posted a thread on this forum earlier regarding the crappy screen resolution of the "low-range" devices. It is my belief that the continued compromised hardware quality of even the economical WP devices will lead to situations like yours with individuals leaving the platform.

While your other concerns certainly have merit, were the hardware specs addressed (screen 720p, RAM 1GB), would you be willing to stay the course til the OS kinks were worked out?

emperor_skull

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I switched to WP mainly out of frustration w/Sprint and its terrible reception in my area. The cheapest way to a Tmo sim was thru the 521. I had always wanted to give WP for a whirl so I got a twofer: a better carrier and a new OS to explore.

When the 635 became available I immediately sold the 521 and scooped that up; for 2 mos now and on 2 different devices I can say I've had ample time to form an opinion concerning WP.

With WP as my daily driver I am less efficient, less capable and more hindered than using Android. The much ballyhooed 8.1 update brought only minor fixes. For example the notification shade is pitiful when compared to the notification capabilities of even one of Samsung's lower end devices.

I am NOT bashing WP, I am telling it how it is for me; your mileage will vary.

Not even counting the awful app situation the native apps are just not functional in the way we expect smartphones to be. Attachments in Messaging, adding contacts in People, Playlists in music, folders in camera (both Nokia and phone versions), Sharing in the Bing news and financial apps--all those are broken. Let's not even get into IE and it's myriad of issues.

Again, I am not bashing, but when I can't share a simple link from the news app to any of my social networks, there's a problem!

I have to carry around my de-commissioned S3 just to have access to basic but very important apps (WP doesn't have my banking app but contrast that to Android that has not only it but also my two prepaid credit card apps too!).

With both the 521 and 635 I actually used the phones less because the terrible screens made outdoor visibility nearly impossible. When I had to use the phones they gave me headaches because of the severe reflectiveness of the screens. It was a horror to answer an email.

As I've stated, my previous phone was an S3 bought this February, I am hardly some gadget hound, always needing the absolute newest and best; so my complaints are not that of a person accustomed to high end devices.

WP as an OS needs tons of work and the devices that it runs on need some serious upgrades. Look at the newest low end Samsung phone available at Tmo, the $216 Samsung Galaxy Avant, that runs rings around even WP's high end devices.

I really wanted to like WP but its functionality is too limited to be considered a modern smartphone.
bye dude, we won't even know you're gone

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, if you buy cheap, you get cheap.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: WP is a 'zen' experience. Using the brute force method learned on other platforms, will not cut it.
The OS needs to be caressed to get the best out of it. Plus learning to use the thing is a good start. Loads of 'hidden' features which are not too obvious if you use it like Android or iOS...

Anyway, thanks for stopping by.....

Thomas Ozawa

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Stop it guys, we all know wp is bad so don't try to argue, they just need effort and I'm supporting them, but they are bad ! It's not because its a low end device or some other things, wp are just not as good as more developed brand phone ! Stupid fan boys

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: WP is a 'zen' experience. Using the brute force method learned on other platforms, will not cut it.
The OS needs to be caressed to get the best out of it. Plus learning to use the thing is a good start. Loads of 'hidden' features which are not too obvious if you use it like Android or iOS...

I'd say he bought the wrong cheap to be fair.. I reckon an experience with a 62x would have been much better for the OP. Still at the bottom end but many more features for a similar price.

Thomas Ozawa

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Apps - fair enough. That's quickly becoming less and less of a problem, but if you're in that dire of a need of these apps, fair enough.

Screen - comparing the outdoor visibility of a $100 phone to a 2 year old HIGH END phone? Odd, but whatever floats your boat. I personally find that comparison disingenuous. A Lumia 920 (two year old flagship) has better outdoor readability than almost any phone I've owned, including the S3.

Links to social network - huh? You copy / paste it. I share links on facebook all the time. If the app doesn't have a share button, I just manually select, copy/paste the link. Not sure what you mean here. Can you clarify? You say "the news app"... Do you mean Bing News? That definitely has a share button and even includes a tab SPECIFICALLY for social networks.

Also, are we not over-exaggerating by saying "too limited to be considered a modern smartphone"? I think we are. You list the lack of an actionable notification center, but even a $700 iPhone doesn't have that. Is the iPhone not a smartphone? Or is Android the only "modern" smartphone, despite how silly that statement sounds.
Oh god, I hate iphone stupid haters, I'm also an iphone hater but I don't say mean less things ! Yes iphone is expensive, yes iphone don't have a lot of functionality, but iphone have a lot of FUNCTIONAL apps, wp's apps are soo bad, they are always proud of delivering an app 2 years laters, but this app is not even working !

13Elves

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Unless you count messaging app as a social network you can't share those Bing News links. Before you reply, know what you're talking about please ty.

13Elves

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I'd say he bought the wrong cheap to be fair.. I reckon an experience with a 62x would have been much better for the OP. Still at the bottom end but many more features for a similar price.

MSFT hasn't made it easy to buy higher end devices! Carrier exclusives as well as the 9XX being sold out (last time I checked was in July. For Tmo the 9xx was sold it and only the dreadful 521 was available to purchase) making hens teeth easier to find.

Plus the naming scheme it really confusing, I have no idea what is the actual flagship device for the WP brand; this is clearly the fault of MSFT and its marketing dept. Samsung NEVER lets you forget which of their devices is top dog.

13Elves

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Why not get a better windows phone, the phones you got (52x and the 63x are low end devices)

Can't find any on my carrier. 9xx is sold out last time I checked at the MSFT store and I'm not switching carriers, it's MSFT job to provide me with phones to buy not me dropping a carrier I'm happy with to chase exclusives.

13Elves

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I understand... You make most excellent points...

I posted a thread on this forum earlier regarding the crappy screen resolution of the "low-range" devices. It is my belief that the continued compromised hardware quality of even the economical WP devices will lead to situations like yours with individuals leaving the platform.

While your other concerns certainly have merit, were the hardware specs addressed (screen 720p, RAM 1GB), would you be willing to stay the course til the OS kinks were worked out?

Yes, I would just carry a tablet for my game apps and be happy with a 720p screen and proper sharing. I'd still be isolated but at least I could share links and manage attachments properly.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
MSFT hasn't made it easy to buy higher end devices! Carrier exclusives as well as the 9XX being sold out (last time I checked was in July. For Tmo the 9xx was sold it and only the dreadful 521 was available to purchase) making hens teeth easier to find.

Plus the naming scheme it really confusing, I have no idea what is the actual flagship device for the WP brand; this is clearly the fault of MSFT and its marketing dept. Samsung NEVER lets you forget which of their devices is top dog.

Yea they've really messed things up. One would think that the higher the number, the higher up the scale it would be. Then they bring out the 63x phones which can barely be considered an upgrade for the models they actually replace - the only thing that can be considered better than the 620 and 625 are the fact the newer ones have a better processor and one can handle 2 SIMs.

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Unless you count messaging app as a social network you can't share those Bing News links. Before you reply, know what you're talking about please ty.

We were with your original post and can sympathize. Missing banking apps and NFC payments are not supported on WP where we live, however, you are completely wrong about not being able to share links especially your noted Bing News app. Please don't insult us like you did the previous poster. It's uncalled for. If you wish to know how to share, drop us a PM.

13Elves

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
There is still quite a big price differential between a new 521 and a used S3. $216 Galaxy Avant is still about $80 more than the Lumia 635 and about $150 more than the 521.

Having said that, I am sorry to hear that WP did not meet your specific requirements.

The Avant is $216 and the 635 is $168 on Tmo. That's is a solid low-mid range there and there's lots of other phones priced similarly to those phones w/specs equal to the Avant. It's WP that is the odd man out here.

13Elves

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site

Brute force like tap and hold to add to a playlist or share a link or delete or add to contacts or....

13Elves

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
We were with your original post and can sympathize. Missing banking apps and NFC payments are not supported on WP where we live, however, you are completely wrong about not being able to share links especially your noted Bing News app. Please don't insult us like you did the previous poster. It's uncalled for. If you wish to know how to share, drop us a PM.

You are insulting me with ur overheated and condescending reply. YOU CANNOT SHARE TO TWITTER FROM BING NEWS APP. Twitter is a social network last time I checked? Well, you cant share to it or to many of the other major ones out there so please BE QUIET unless you know what you are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre