08-24-2014 01:29 PM
131 1234 ...
tools
    The zombie myth of the WP battery saver. Read the description. It does nothing until the battery level drops to 10%. At that time it shuts off what it deems as non-essential applications and services.
    Actually, the Battery Saver seems to reduce battery life much more than saving it...
    08-20-2014 07:20 PM
    The zombie myth of the WP battery saver. Read the description. It does nothing until the battery level drops to 10%. At that time it shuts off what it deems as non-essential applications and services.

It is automatically enabled at 20% if you have chosen to turn it on, at which point it disables *all* non native background processes, as well as email syncing and a select few other native tasks.

You can choose to have it enabled at all times, too.

My HTC titan routinely got more than 2 days of battery life. With light usage, 4 days. With battery saver enabled 24/7, near 6 days.

Sent from my 20CDS02B00 using Tapatalk
    08-20-2014 08:10 PM
    .....what?

Android a) has true multi tasking with few limitations on processes and b) uses Java.

In addition to that, we already know from... every WP phone that WP runs smoothly on lesser hardware while (stock unmodded) android requires significantly more CPU power for a smooth experience. More power requires more juice.

It's impossible for it to *not* be worse at battery life as a general rule.
    Android does NOT use Java. It uses Dalvik. Anyway, WP uses the extremely similar .net CLR.
    Does multi tasking make a difference in typical usage?
    I disagree that WP runs more smoothly, try two comparable phones side by side in a shop. Android is generally quicker at performing useful tasks. Try opening the web browser for a dramatic demonstration. My suspicion is that the "WP is more efficient" really means "the home screen scrolled more smoothly until about 12 months ago".

Of course efficiency can be defined in many ways - speed, RAM usage, power consumption, flash, ...
    08-21-2014 01:00 AM
    Dalvik is a Java VM.
    08-21-2014 01:04 AM
    Dalvik is a Java VM.
    1. No it isn't. See Dalvik (software) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Dalvik does not run Java byte code.

2. It's not relevant to this discussion, but I've never understood the belief that Java is inefficient on mobile devices. I have a genuine Java based phone next to me now and I can tell you that its battery lasts several times longer than any modern smart phone.
    08-21-2014 01:16 AM
    Yes it is.
    And Java is inefficient on everything.
    08-21-2014 01:18 AM
    Yes it is.
    And Java is inefficient on everything.
    A Java virtual machine runs Java byte code. Dalvik does not run Java byte code therefore it is not a Java virtual machine.

How do you explain the battery life on my Java based phone?
    08-21-2014 01:20 AM
    You're splitting hairs and you know it.
    08-21-2014 01:24 AM
    You're splitting hairs and you know it.
    So you agree that I am right? I absolutely disagree that I am splitting hairs.

On the issue of Java efficiency, check out the specs of this baby, made by Microsoft: Nokia Asha 503 - Specifications - Nokia - UK
    08-21-2014 01:28 AM
    It's a VM. Maybe not a traditional Java VM because Google can't ever leave well enough alone, but it is still an inefficient VM based on a generally terrible language.
    The only way they could do worse would be to make it based on PHP.
    08-21-2014 01:32 AM
    It's a VM. Maybe not a traditional Java VM because Google can't ever leave well enough alone, but it is still an inefficient VM based on a generally terrible language.
    The only way they could do worse would be to make it based on PHP.
    What's your opinion of the CLR used by WP? That's also a VM, and it can run code written in Java (and other languages). By the definition you seem to be using, it's as much a Java VM as Dalvik.
    Last edited by anony_mouse; 08-21-2014 at 08:01 AM.
    08-21-2014 01:53 AM
    Will someone kill HTC for sharing such Details?? It really killed WP..
    Please Give details along with claims... :P
    08-21-2014 02:08 AM
    That is totaly depends on the usage... I dont believe it...
    08-21-2014 02:13 AM
    That is totaly depends on the usage... I dont believe it...
    Why do you think wp8.1 works great on the Lumia 520 yet android phones that cheap have older versions so they can run alright.
    08-21-2014 02:26 AM
    Why do you think wp8.1 works great on the Lumia 520 yet android phones that cheap have older versions so they can run alright.
    You mean like the Moto E (current version: Android 4.4.4)?

Also please do not assume that newer OS's are less efficient. For example, bear in mind that Windows 8 is probably more efficient than Windows 7, which was definitely more efficient than Windows Vista.
    08-21-2014 02:35 AM
    You mean like the Moto E (current version: Android 4.4.4)?

Also please do not assume that newer OS's are less efficient. For example, bear in mind that Windows 8 is probably more efficient than Windows 7, which was definitely more efficient than Windows Vista.
    It's not that newer OS's are less efficient. They, normally, have more features than the previous OS, which can use more of the battery, processor, etc... which can tax the hardware more than a previous OS.
    08-21-2014 02:55 AM
    Not sure if this was said anywhere or not but I looked in to this a bit more. Someone pointed to the specs from HTC as showing that, yes, WP is a bit more efficient but not 75% more. It's about 10%.

The numbers used in the article are showing the 2G usage (talk time) for the Android version vs the 3G usage (talk time) for the WP. If you look at 3G vs 3G the numbers are not that huge.

If you go to GSM Arena you'll see the two different sets of numbers there for the Android version http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_(m8)-6074.php. The person who wrote this initial article was either A misleading people on purpose or B deploying clickbait.

I'm going with B. Do your research.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 08-21-2014 at 03:25 AM.
    anony_mouse and D M C like this.
    08-21-2014 03:05 AM
    Thanks to N_LaRue for putting some reality back into this discussion. We also shouldn't assume that the hardware is exactly the same in both cases. The same model of phone may go through several revisions to reduce costs, fix bugs, use components from different suppliers, etc. This is generally transparent to the user but can have an effect on power consumption, etc.

A good example is the famous HTC Desire, which swapped from an AMOLED display to an LCD for later models, because of supply problems. This meant that later units had different battery life (can't remember if better or worse) and didn't look exactly the same. Such changes are common but are normally only noticeable if you take a device apart.
    D M C likes this.
    08-21-2014 03:21 AM
    Thanks to N_LaRue for putting some reality back into this discussion. We also shouldn't assume that the hardware is exactly the same in both cases. The same model of phone may go through several revisions to reduce costs, fix bugs, use components from different suppliers, etc. This is generally transparent to the user but can have an effect on power consumption, etc.

A good example is the famous HTC Desire, which swapped from an AMOLED display to an LCD for later models, because of supply problems. This meant that later units had different battery life (can't remember if better or worse) and didn't look exactly the same. Such changes are common but are normally only noticeable if you take a device apart.
    We have our disagreements from time to time but in this case I'm agreeing with you completely.

Being in the electrical industry I had a hard time believing the article from the get go. Battery efficiency is reliant on several factors and I had a hard time with the idea that software alone would give a 75% increase. Yes one OS may be a slightly more optimized than the other but not that much. Android has come a long way whether people want to believe that or not. I was getting poor battery out of my WP and so have many others. Most of it was due to poor OS optimization and bad firmware. What does that say about WP?

The article was pure clickbait and people went for it wholeheartedly.
    anony_mouse and D M C like this.
    08-21-2014 03:30 AM
    Not sure if this was said anywhere or not but I looked in to this a bit more. Someone pointed to the specs from HTC as showing that, yes, WP is a bit more efficient but not 75% more. It's about 10%.

The numbers used in the article are showing the 2G usage (talk time) for the Android version vs the 3G usage (talk time) for the WP. If you look at 3G vs 3G the numbers are not that huge.

If you go to GSM Arena you'll see the two different sets of numbers there for the Android version http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_(m8)-6074.php. The person who wrote this initial article was either A misleading people on purpose or B deploying clickbait.

I'm going with B. Do your research.
    I was thinking that - something must be wrong with this 75% battery life.

Because
    If that was the case then every WP phones should have excellent battery life if we take Android phones battery life in a/c.

Thanks! For clearing things.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    08-21-2014 05:35 AM
    Nokia spent on its technology what it could and has gotten better over time, speaking specifically about the Nokia 1520. One thing though, the HTC ONE M8 has an extraordinary battery for a smart phone. If the reports are true, the W8 should be much better. If Nokia is unable to match it, I know at least one person that probably won't buy another Nokia.
    08-21-2014 08:38 AM
    Nokia spent on its technology what it could and has gotten better over time, speaking specifically about the Nokia 1520. One thing though, the HTC ONE M8 has an extraordinary battery for a smart phone. If the reports are true, the W8 should be much better. If Nokia is unable to match it, I know at least one person that probably won't buy another Nokia.
    The specs were posted on the prior page from the HTC website. The difference is a mere 10%, if correct.
    08-21-2014 08:56 AM
    Android does NOT use Java. It uses Dalvik. Anyway, WP uses the extremely similar .net CLR.

Does multi tasking make a difference in typical usage?

I disagree that WP runs more smoothly, try two comparable phones side by side in a shop. Android is generally quicker at performing useful tasks. Try opening the web browser for a dramatic demonstration. My suspicion is that the "WP is more efficient" really means "the home screen scrolled more smoothly until about 12 months ago".

Of course efficiency can be defined in many ways - speed, RAM usage, power consumption, flash, ...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andro...rating_system)

See "written in".

Though I honestly don't know much about it, if it's Java enough for Wikipedia it's Java enough for me.

The multitasking does invite opportunity for serious drain and generally will have a slightly higher energy cost.

"Android is generally quicker at useful tasks". That's... Vague. Anyhow stock android may have gotten better in the last year but generally OEM garbage rendered all but the highest end devices near useless. They might work in the store (would be seriously surprised if a store model ran at full efficiency WP IOS or android) but bring it home, install an app or two and watch the gears slow down.

In my experience, Android needs a lot of RAM and a heftier CPU to run well. Meanwhile, the Lumia 520 runs just as well as any Android device I've seen.
    08-21-2014 08:59 AM
    The specs were posted on the prior page from the HTC website. The difference is a mere 10%, if correct.
    Mear 10% over the M8 and android? That's nothing to sneeze at N LaRUE. Considering the battery in my L920, I would NEVER consider going to work with it and not having a charger there waiting. With the android M8, I could come home even having used GPS (Waze), phone, all kinds of email, social media games and still come home with 70 percent battery having never charged it midway. With the W8, I'd have 80+
    S Vaibhav likes this.
    08-21-2014 09:03 AM
    Mear 10% over the M8 and android? That's nothing to sneeze at N LaRUE. Considering the battery in my L920, I would NEVER consider going to work with it and not having a charger there waiting. With the android M8, I could come home even having used GPS (Waze), phone, all kinds of email, social media games and still come home with 70 percent battery having never charged it midway. With the W8, I'd have 80+
    10% equates to 2 hours. That's why I said mere when compared to Android. It's not a huge chunk in my eyes. I think a truer test will be when Android L comes out.

My L920 was dropping battery faster than anything at one point. It's not too bad now but I still don't trust it.
    D M C likes this.
    08-21-2014 09:07 AM
131 1234 ...