08-24-2014 02:29 PM
131 12345 ...
tools
    I think we have to wait and see GSMArena battery test before commenting.

According to Manufacturer(Nokia)
    My Lumia 620 standby time is 330 hrs and music play 61 hrs .
    But my experience is quite different from what manufacture said. (Actually it is very less even when it was on WP8)
    Of course, it will be less of you are on dev preview!
    08-21-2014 10:07 AM
    Lulz, the only way Android could be less efficient with battery life than the current iteration of Windows Phone would be if immediately dropped to 10% after a full charge. My battery life MIGHT be better after the most recent update, but my phone cant last anywhere near a whole day on a single charge.
    N_LaRUE and D M C like this.
    08-21-2014 10:19 AM
    Android (operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See "written in".

Though I honestly don't know much about it, if it's Java enough for Wikipedia it's Java enough for me.
    Unfortunately few people on this forum seem to have the knowledge to understand this, although I'm glad to see that you admit it. Now read carefully and please can no one make this misunderstanding again.
    - 'Java' is a programming language. Most Android apps, and some of the Android platform are written fully or partially in Java. Java programs are compiled to Java byte code for execution, on a Java virtual machine.

- A 'Java virtual machine' runs Java byte code. Android does *not* have one of these. This is the point Ordeith and I were debating earlier, although sadly she/he has now gone quiet.

- Android has a 'Dalvik virtual machine' (to be replaced in Android L by a new runtime called ART). Dalvik byte code is typically compiled from Java byte code, although could also be generated directly.

So, to repeat - Android has a Dalvik virtual machine.
    A Dalvik virtual machine does not run Java byte code, so is not a Java virtual machine.
    Android does not have a Java virtual machine.

And a couple of final points for you to think about:
    - Microsoft's low end Asha phones do include a Java virtual machine. Mobile Java actually runs very well on low end hardware. If you have any smart cards in your pocket right now, they may also run Java.
    - Windows Phone also uses a virtual machine, in this case the .net CLR. The CLR is actually pretty similar to the Java VM, although more advanced in some respects as it was developed ten years later. Performance tests of the Java VM and the CLR tend to show fairly similar performance in most cases.
    - In principle, I believe WP apps could also be written in Java (at least partially), as it was a supported language for the CLR runtime used by WP - see J Sharp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. This would actually make the relationship between WP and Java, and Android and Java rather similar. Happy to be corrected on this point by someone more knowledgeable.
    08-21-2014 10:50 AM
    Windows Phone is not any less demanding than Android. The battery life difference would be explained by how each operating system handles multitasking and background tasks.
    Standby time doesn't need the system to handle multitasking. It only concerns background task management which WP does better than any other OS since WP7.
    S Vaibhav likes this.
    08-21-2014 11:29 AM
    Standby time doesn't need the system to handle multitasking. It only concerns background task management which WP does better than any other OS since WP7.
    That's debatable.
    08-21-2014 01:24 PM
    That's debatable.
    No. Ios and androids apps keep running in the background whether you exit them or minimize them. WP doesn't, so it has overall better battery life.
    08-21-2014 02:57 PM
    No. Ios and androids apps keep running in the background whether you exit them or minimize them. WP doesn't, so it has overall better battery life.

IOS does the same thing WP does. Nothing runs in the background on IOS.
    wpn00b and salmanahmad like this.
    08-21-2014 03:12 PM
    The approach with multitasking is debatable because there is no perfect way to do it.

On Android you can allow apps to do things in the background, be it sending photos and videos through Whatsapp, uploading a YouTube video in the background or compressing a video.

Windows Phone has very few apps that can do anything in the background, this increases battery life however makes it tougher for users to do more than one task at a time.

Windows Phone also quickly suspends activities so as soon as you hold the back button to go to multitasking, if you go back to app you are using you'll be greeted with a "resuming" message, this also improves battery life however it also makes multitasking faster on Android.

So for battery life --> Windows Phone.

But for better and faster multitasking --> Android.

But take into account the fact that in Android L, Google has according to them around 30% to 40% more battery life, the HTC One M8 is getting Android L and maybe after that it beats the Windows Phone version in battery life.

You understand now, why I said it was debatable?
    wpn00b likes this.
    08-21-2014 03:16 PM
    IOS does the same thing WP does. Nothing runs in the background on IOS.
    When Windows Phone 8 came out I read several articles about it being the only OS out there with "true multitasking".

After having used it however I found that it is neither true, nor fast as the one found on Android.

It suspends activities like iOS does.

But with Windows Phone 8.1 they did add background processes but I didn't see them working in any app, Torrex Pro claimed to have it but it never worked.

I use utorrent on my Android phone, it perfectly downloads everything in the background, yes it consumes battery but allows me to do much more.

I like Android's approach best.
    08-21-2014 03:22 PM
    No one on this forum has ever been able to back up this claim with hard evidence. If you are going to claim that WP is more efficient in some way than Android, please provide something to support what you're saying.
    LOL, you do realize that the very first chance to do so was just made available as of yesterday...so no one could back up the claim with hard evidence because the means to never existed, right?
    08-21-2014 06:36 PM
    When Windows Phone 8 came out I read several articles about it being the only OS out there with "true multitasking".

After having used it however I found that it is neither true, nor fast as the one found on Android.

But with Windows Phone 8.1 they did add background processes but I didn't see them working in any app, Torrex Pro claimed to have it but it never worked.

I use utorrent on my Android phone, it perfectly downloads everything in the background, yes it consumes battery but allows me to do much more.

So how does my email update in the background? How about app updates? I'm confused as to how these are happening in the foreground when I'm not using those apps, but browsing the web or playing a game?
    08-21-2014 06:38 PM
    The majority of my support calls are people complaining about their devices battery life. I just spoke with a woman today who was complaining about how her LG Lucid 3 is constantly being made fun of because she gets about 4 hours battery life. I was able to narrow it down to her memory card causing the issue, but why is that an issue in the first place? Why does the phone need to run mediaserver CONSTANTLY to catalog her files. Shouldn't it do that once and be done with it? It took up 50% of CPU time and was at 42% of battery usage for the day and had been doing this for 2 months until she called me. How is that efficient to run this process even while the phone is supposedly sleeping if it is going to eat the battery like this?

Edit: I know this is the wrong site for this but I think it's relevant...somewhat. I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about, just what I see on a daily basis, so I'm sorry if I'm not knowledgeable enough to be able to discuss this. But I see great battery life on Windows Phone and I don't see the issue with "true" multitasking lacking on any mobile OS. The benefits outweigh the drawbacks for the majority but I understand some power users would like the option and spare batteries and power packs are there for them.
    link68759 likes this.
    08-21-2014 06:55 PM
    So how does my email update in the background? How about app updates? I'm confused as to how these are happening in the foreground when I'm not using those apps, but browsing the web or playing a game?
    Did it not occur to you that the apps you've mentioned are made by Microsoft? Microsoft can bend the rules for themselves.

Internet Explorer and OneDrive can also upload/download stuff in the background, so can a few other apps that have "special rights".

1408662205704.jpg

But the majority of applications can't do much in the background and you have to have the app open to do anything, you also mostly have to keep the screen unlocked.

While yes this improves battery life it makes using a smartphone way more stressful.

IMO Android has very fluid multitasking, especially after the Android 4.4 update, just one tap and you are in your multitasking window and you can quickly switch between apps, but on Windows Phone even if you resume your latest app is shows you the "resuming" message.
    Brandon Tobias likes this.
    08-21-2014 07:21 PM
    You people and this resuming thing, I RARELY get the resuming message, the only app I ever get that message on is xbox music, that resuming thing isnt a fault of the os, but a fault of bad code on app developers! You cant use that as a sore point for wp's multi tasking.
    S Vaibhav likes this.
    08-21-2014 08:06 PM
    You people and this resuming thing, I RARELY get the resuming message, the only app I ever get that message on is xbox music, that resuming thing isnt a fault of the os, but a fault of bad code on app developers! You cant use that as a sore point for wp's multi tasking.
    I wouldn't use it against Windows Phone if you just show me a video? I mean just simply demo how multitasking is on a 930/Icon/1520?

I would be really interested to see.
    08-21-2014 08:10 PM
    what would you like to see?

I only have a 925, so I couldnt show you any footage from the 3 devices you requested.. oh yea, skype does the resuming thing too, forgot about that app
    08-21-2014 08:33 PM
    what would you like to see?

I only have a 925, so I couldnt show you any footage from the 3 devices you requested.. oh yea, skype does the resuming thing too, forgot about that app
    If the 925 doesn't show a "resuming" screen and has seamless multitasking that those devices won't either.

Open up like ten applications, or maybe a bit less and switch back to them to see if you are prompted with the resuming message.

I'll also do the same thing with my Nexus 5.

Let's make the 10 apps: Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, Calculator, Instagram, Tapatalk, Twitter, Zedge, OneDrive, Photoshop Touch.

You just open up those apps from your 925 and go back to them using multitasking?

I'll make the same video, with the same apps on my Nexus 5 once you are done.

Upload the video to YouTube.

Anyone else with a Lumia 1520/930/Icon is also welcome to make a video!
    08-21-2014 08:40 PM
    I don't have most of those apps lol, I'll open the apps you listed that I do have, and then replace the others with apps i use regularly, also, my phone will only hold 7 apps in memory. Need to install the wp sdk too for the screen projection, probably gonna take a good 10 minutes (recently wiped computer)

Edit: heres the apps you listed that I do have:

Facebook/fb essenger
    calculator (I'll even use a 3rd party one here, infact I'll avoid all 1st party/system apps as best I can)
    Onedrive

whoops, I never posted this, well the videos done now, I had to record it with a camera because the sdk is being a PITA, I used the 7 following apps:

converge
    kik
    facebook
    facebook messenger
    calculator
    windows phone central
    onedrive

I'll have the video up asap
    Last edited by Asskickulater; 08-21-2014 at 09:20 PM.
    08-21-2014 08:51 PM
    I don't have most of those apps lol, I'll open the apps you listed that I do have, and then replace the others with apps i use regularly, also, my phone will only hold 7 apps in memory. Need to install the wp sdk too for the screen projection, probably gonna take a good 10 minutes (recently wiped computer)
    Don't screen project, it reduces performance of your device significantly.

Record with another phone or some other camera, I don't care even if it's 480p.

But don't screen project and record, it heavily taxes the CPU and GPU.

Sure you can try out any other apps but make sure they have an Android alternative.

I'll record my video in less than 24 hours, finally putting an end to people who say Android is slow and laggy.

Be warned though, since I'm going to record it with my dad's Blackberry it's going to be 480p, but still clear enough to watch.
    08-21-2014 08:57 PM
    Sorry I got distracted with guests lol, I had an edited version of my post that I forgot to save, so re-read my previous one for more details, I'm not sure if they all have android counterparts, but TBH, I'm not sure that's really relevant, anyway yea, PMS didn't work out, so I used a video camera anyway, it looks decent enough.

Finally, putting an end to people who say windows phone's multi tasker always has a "resuming... screen".
    Last edited by Asskickulater; 08-21-2014 at 09:36 PM.
    08-21-2014 09:24 PM
    10% equates to 2 hours. That's why I said mere when compared to Android. It's not a huge chunk in my eyes. I think a truer test will be when Android L comes out.

My L920 was dropping battery faster than anything at one point. It's not too bad now but I still don't trust it.
    You make a point but what I'm pointing out isn't speculation of what may be done with the M8, it is what I am doing with it today. My job provides this phone for my use for Lync, Mobile Iron and a few other resources I only use there. This is what I get with the HTC M8 TODAY! I have yet to use the charger and I never think about extra wires on my desk. What I am also saying is if what I refer to as the HTC W8, can match this plus 10%, I'm floating like a plastic bottle in a giant swimming pool. Ask anyone that own a HTC M8 and they will tell you a similar story. For me at least, having a device that can match my energy in a day is what its all about. What would make the HTC M8 exceptional, is to be running WPOS.
    08-21-2014 09:46 PM
    Run Facebook, lock the phone and unlock again. You will see Resuming.... Xbox Music, you said it. Here maps - check for maps updates, and back again and you will see Resuming.... Start Nokia camera, lock and unlock phone - see Resuming...

Resuming happens the most on budgeted phones. My 1020 which is considered as a older model now, sees Resuming now and then. Is already WP8.1 and MS has yet to resolve this irritating Resuming crap.

No such worries on Android even running the budgeted Xiaomi phones. Of all choices, MS will rather follow how iOS works. I have no idea how's Windows Phone a better enterprise phone at all. No wonder Windows Phone is unable to pick up at all after being so long in the market.
    08-21-2014 10:02 PM

Yes, I will take Android anytime. The approach which MS adopted is just bad. MS should follow Android style instead of iOS. I miss the old Windows Mobile mobile OS.
    08-21-2014 10:05 PM
    Yes, I will take Android anytime. The approach which MS adopted is just bad. MS should follow Android style instead of iOS. I miss the old Windows Mobile mobile OS.
    Oh, so you were the one...
    08-21-2014 10:11 PM
    1) its not a "bug" its setup to drop all apps in the memory and kill there proccess when you lock the phone unless the app asks to be left on for the purpose of not eating your battery when your not using it.

Why is there a right and wrong way? It's two takes on the same thing, neither is wrong and neither is right, and neither party will be right until there's a solution in which neither of the methods have to compromise their pros. Each method has it's pros and cons, neither is perfect, therefore, neither is wrong.
    08-21-2014 10:27 PM
131 12345 ...