up to 75% longer battery life with WP over Android? :-o

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
When Windows Phone 8 came out I read several articles about it being the only OS out there with "true multitasking".

After having used it however I found that it is neither true, nor fast as the one found on Android.

It suspends activities like iOS does.

But with Windows Phone 8.1 they did add background processes but I didn't see them working in any app, Torrex Pro claimed to have it but it never worked.

I use utorrent on my Android phone, it perfectly downloads everything in the background, yes it consumes battery but allows me to do much more.

I like Android's approach best.

So how does my email update in the background? How about app updates? I'm confused as to how these are happening in the foreground when I'm not using those apps, but browsing the web or playing a game?

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
The majority of my support calls are people complaining about their devices battery life. I just spoke with a woman today who was complaining about how her LG Lucid 3 is constantly being made fun of because she gets about 4 hours battery life. I was able to narrow it down to her memory card causing the issue, but why is that an issue in the first place? Why does the phone need to run mediaserver CONSTANTLY to catalog her files. Shouldn't it do that once and be done with it? It took up 50% of CPU time and was at 42% of battery usage for the day and had been doing this for 2 months until she called me. How is that efficient to run this process even while the phone is supposedly sleeping if it is going to eat the battery like this?

Edit: I know this is the wrong site for this but I think it's relevant...somewhat. I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about, just what I see on a daily basis, so I'm sorry if I'm not knowledgeable enough to be able to discuss this. But I see great battery life on Windows Phone and I don't see the issue with "true" multitasking lacking on any mobile OS. The benefits outweigh the drawbacks for the majority but I understand some power users would like the option and spare batteries and power packs are there for them.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
So how does my email update in the background? How about app updates? I'm confused as to how these are happening in the foreground when I'm not using those apps, but browsing the web or playing a game?

Did it not occur to you that the apps you've mentioned are made by Microsoft? Microsoft can bend the rules for themselves.

Internet Explorer and OneDrive can also upload/download stuff in the background, so can a few other apps that have "special rights".

1408662205704.jpg

But the majority of applications can't do much in the background and you have to have the app open to do anything, you also mostly have to keep the screen unlocked.

While yes this improves battery life it makes using a smartphone way more stressful.

IMO Android has very fluid multitasking, especially after the Android 4.4 update, just one tap and you are in your multitasking window and you can quickly switch between apps, but on Windows Phone even if you resume your latest app is shows you the "resuming" message.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
You people and this resuming thing, I RARELY get the resuming message, the only app I ever get that message on is xbox music, that resuming thing isnt a fault of the os, but a fault of bad code on app developers! You cant use that as a sore point for wp's multi tasking.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
You people and this resuming thing, I RARELY get the resuming message, the only app I ever get that message on is xbox music, that resuming thing isnt a fault of the os, but a fault of bad code on app developers! You cant use that as a sore point for wp's multi tasking.

I wouldn't use it against Windows Phone if you just show me a video? I mean just simply demo how multitasking is on a 930/Icon/1520?

I would be really interested to see.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
what would you like to see?

I only have a 925, so I couldnt show you any footage from the 3 devices you requested.. oh yea, skype does the resuming thing too, forgot about that app

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
what would you like to see?

I only have a 925, so I couldnt show you any footage from the 3 devices you requested.. oh yea, skype does the resuming thing too, forgot about that app

If the 925 doesn't show a "resuming" screen and has seamless multitasking that those devices won't either.

Open up like ten applications, or maybe a bit less and switch back to them to see if you are prompted with the resuming message.

I'll also do the same thing with my Nexus 5.

Let's make the 10 apps: Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, Calculator, Instagram, Tapatalk, Twitter, Zedge, OneDrive, Photoshop Touch.

You just open up those apps from your 925 and go back to them using multitasking?

I'll make the same video, with the same apps on my Nexus 5 once you are done.

Upload the video to YouTube.

Anyone else with a Lumia 1520/930/Icon is also welcome to make a video!

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't have most of those apps lol, I'll open the apps you listed that I do have, and then replace the others with apps i use regularly, also, my phone will only hold 7 apps in memory. Need to install the wp sdk too for the screen projection, probably gonna take a good 10 minutes (recently wiped computer)

Edit: heres the apps you listed that I do have:

Facebook/fb essenger
calculator (I'll even use a 3rd party one here, infact I'll avoid all 1st party/system apps as best I can)
Onedrive

whoops, I never posted this, well the videos done now, I had to record it with a camera because the sdk is being a PITA, I used the 7 following apps:

converge
kik
facebook
facebook messenger
calculator
windows phone central
onedrive

I'll have the video up asap

Last edited:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't have most of those apps lol, I'll open the apps you listed that I do have, and then replace the others with apps i use regularly, also, my phone will only hold 7 apps in memory. Need to install the wp sdk too for the screen projection, probably gonna take a good 10 minutes (recently wiped computer)

Don't screen project, it reduces performance of your device significantly.

Record with another phone or some other camera, I don't care even if it's 480p.

But don't screen project and record, it heavily taxes the CPU and GPU.

Sure you can try out any other apps but make sure they have an Android alternative.

I'll record my video in less than 24 hours, finally putting an end to people who say Android is slow and laggy.

Be warned though, since I'm going to record it with my dad's Blackberry it's going to be 480p, but still clear enough to watch.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I got distracted with guests lol, I had an edited version of my post that I forgot to save, so re-read my previous one for more details, I'm not sure if they all have android counterparts, but TBH, I'm not sure that's really relevant, anyway yea, PMS didn't work out, so I used a video camera anyway, it looks decent enough.

Finally, putting an end to people who say windows phone's multi tasker always has a "resuming... screen".

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
10% equates to 2 hours. That's why I said mere when compared to Android. It's not a huge chunk in my eyes. I think a truer test will be when Android L comes out.

My L920 was dropping battery faster than anything at one point. It's not too bad now but I still don't trust it.

You make a point but what I'm pointing out isn't speculation of what may be done with the M8, it is what I am doing with it today. My job provides this phone for my use for Lync, Mobile Iron and a few other resources I only use there. This is what I get with the HTC M8 TODAY! I have yet to use the charger and I never think about extra wires on my desk. What I am also saying is if what I refer to as the HTC W8, can match this plus 10%, I'm floating like a plastic bottle in a giant swimming pool. Ask anyone that own a HTC M8 and they will tell you a similar story. For me at least, having a device that can match my energy in a day is what its all about. What would make the HTC M8 exceptional, is to be running WPOS.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Run Facebook, lock the phone and unlock again. You will see Resuming.... Xbox Music, you said it. Here maps - check for maps updates, and back again and you will see Resuming.... Start Nokia camera, lock and unlock phone - see Resuming...

Resuming happens the most on budgeted phones. My 1020 which is considered as a older model now, sees Resuming now and then. Is already WP8.1 and MS has yet to resolve this irritating Resuming crap.

No such worries on Android even running the budgeted Xiaomi phones. Of all choices, MS will rather follow how iOS works. I have no idea how's Windows Phone a better enterprise phone at all. No wonder Windows Phone is unable to pick up at all after being so long in the market.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
When Windows Phone 8 came out I read several articles about it being the only OS out there with "true multitasking".

After having used it however I found that it is neither true, nor fast as the one found on Android.

It suspends activities like iOS does.

But with Windows Phone 8.1 they did add background processes but I didn't see them working in any app, Torrex Pro claimed to have it but it never worked.

I use utorrent on my Android phone, it perfectly downloads everything in the background, yes it consumes battery but allows me to do much more.

I like Android's approach best.

Yes, I will take Android anytime. The approach which MS adopted is just bad. MS should follow Android style instead of iOS. I miss the old Windows Mobile mobile OS.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
1) its not a "bug" its setup to drop all apps in the memory and kill there proccess when you lock the phone unless the app asks to be left on for the purpose of not eating your battery when your not using it.

Why is there a right and wrong way? It's two takes on the same thing, neither is wrong and neither is right, and neither party will be right until there's a solution in which neither of the methods have to compromise their pros. Each method has it's pros and cons, neither is perfect, therefore, neither is wrong.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
+620 I rarely get the resuming thing, too. I use a class 10 16 Gb SD card for apps, and have seen resuming very very very rarely.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
of course the WP version will get better battery WP does not do much to begin with ... when windows becomes a live multitasking OS lets wee what happens but i still want proof so people who have the device can do their tests i.e light , medium and high usage and post the unbiased resutls or use screen grabs from battery apps.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
what do you mean it doesnt do much? It does basically everything an android can minus small features, only thing it cant do is run 10 apps at the same time, and its not that the WP CANT, it can, its got fully functional code to run multiple apps, its just that they are locked API's given only to partners.

JyhJiin

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I tried the experiment with a lumia 520. While opening 3 apps in the background (FB, FB messenger, and WPCentral) they can be switch to any one of them instantly like how it is in your video. However after adding the fourth app (OneDrive) the resuming screen appears while switching apps. It is still fairly quick on a low end phone. So i tried closing an app and they can be switched quickly again.

I hope someone can try this with a lumia 530 and 630, and observe how will the multitasking perform on a phone with similar RAM but different, better processor. It'll certainly perform better, but lets see how many apps they can hold on without showing the resuming screen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb