up to 75% longer battery life with WP over Android? :-o

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxe23

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
According to Verizon (see screenshot) the battery life of the HTC One (M8) is much longer when using Windows Phone instead of Android. Although it's the same hardware and the same battery capacity.

If this is true it would be amazing and another very good argument for Windows Phone OS.

I knew that WP is less demanding than Android regarding hardware specs but this surprises me.
Would like to see some reviewers have a look at this if it's true.

htcm8.png

Teeeerex

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Never had one, so I have to ask; does Android in it's latest official version have a battery saving mode like WP? I seem to remember reading about it coming with Android L.

Maybe that would explain the difference.

oxe23

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Don't think so as the biggest difference (75%) is for "usage time".
And battery saving is not working while "using" the phone.

Teeeerex

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site

Depends on what you define as usage. Phone calls and texts work all the time in battery saver mode, syncing can be done - manually. I'd say that qualifies as using the phone.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
you are leading this thread to a different dimension.

get back to the point, could this be real, if so, it kind of implies that nokia do not buy good batteries, and that android devices have good battery because they are good on the hardware side, not the software side.

and when the hardware came to WP it showed way better battery performance.

TBH, if this is real, WP is going to make a hit. competitors are really needed. :D

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
It may have something to do with the continuous Google server updates on your position, messages, phone calls, transactions......;)

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I knew that WP is less demanding than Android regarding hardware specs but this surprises me.

No one on this forum has ever been able to back up this claim with hard evidence. If you are going to claim that WP is more efficient in some way than Android, please provide something to support what you're saying.

bryanibuan

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

Battery saving works even if you are using the phone. It is just that, it will not run any app in the background not unless you allowed it on your settings. It won't check emails not unless you open the app and tap sync. Won't update live tiles of third party apps not unless you allowed the app to run even on battery saver.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
No one on this forum has ever been able to back up this claim with hard evidence. If you are going to claim that WP is more efficient in some way than Android, please provide something to support what you're saying.

That's true, but until now I don't believe we've ever had WP & Android running (natively at least) on identical hardware. I'm excited to see the comparison!

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
If it truly does get that much better battery life, it would be awesome. My Android M8 gets great battery life, and I don't have power saving mode yet (Verizon). If I can get the same apps and do the same stuff on the Windows M8, AND get better battery life, I'm all for it.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well well if this true, that is quite a major selling point :cool::cool: now if only HTC releases it globally I might back this myself if nothing interesting comes out next year spring. I am not expecting any ground breaking or high end flag ships in the next few months for the international markets as news is going to be dominated by the new iphone.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

.....what?

Android a) has true multi tasking with few limitations on processes and b) uses Java.

In addition to that, we already know from... every WP phone that WP runs smoothly on lesser hardware while (stock unmodded) android requires significantly more CPU power for a smooth experience. More power requires more juice.

It's impossible for it to *not* be worse at battery life as a general rule.

That said android gives you the power to fine tune the system so you can mitigate some of the problems; stop all services, throttle the CPU, kill misbehaving processes, etc.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It gets better LOL... check out the screen shots below:

Android version:
HTC One (M8) Specs and Reviews | HTC United States

Battery3
Embedded rechargeable Li-polymer battery
Capacity: 2600 mAh
Talk time:
Up to 20 hours for 3G
Standby time:
Up to 496 hours for 3G

Android Battery Life on 3g.jpg

Windows Phone Version:
HTC One (M8) For Windows Specs and Reviews | HTC United States

Battery3

Embedded rechargeable Li-polymer battery
Capacity: 2600 mAh
Talk time:
Up to 22 hours for 3G
Standby time:
Up to 528 hours for 3G

Windows Phone Battery Life on 3g.jpg

So there you have it, straight from the horse's mouth that windows phone is more efficient (well in this case from HTC) :winktongue:

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I think we have to wait and see GSMArena battery test before commenting.

According to Manufacturer(Nokia)
My Lumia 620 standby time is 330 hrs and music play 61 hrs .
But my experience is quite different from what manufacture said. (Actually it is very less even when it was on WP8)

Ashwin J Pillai

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I think we have to wait and see GSMArena battery test before commenting.

According to Manufacturer(Nokia)
My Lumia 620 standby time is 330 hrs and music play 61 hrs .
But my experience is quite different from what manufacture said. (Actually it is very less even when it was on WP8)

I think that the specs provided are on certain conditions like airplane mode, locked screen, GPS etc..... Even signal strength affects battery.. I changed my sim card to a better network and boy I had a healthy battery life

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The standby times quoted, is just that... when the device is idle lol, they aren't going to sit and test the infinite number of combinations of roms + apps or apps pinned and installed. That is why everyone will always have different experiences when it comes to battery life, regardless of smartphone manufacturer or o/s.

I think that the specs provided are on certain conditions like airplane mode, locked screen, GPS etc..... Even signal strength affects battery.. I changed my sim card to a better network and boy I had a healthy battery life

I concur, signal strength does play a role when it comes to charge to charge time as the phone is not constantly hopping to find a better signal. I had longer charge to charge times when I moved to 4g.. but now not so much as I barely get 4g.

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

get back to the point, could this be real, if so, it kind of implies that nokia do not buy good batteries, and that android devices have good battery because they are good on the hardware side, not the software side.

TBH, if this is real, WP is going to make a hit. competitors are really needed. :D

Exactly!

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

You really should take the time to look at the specs for the VZW Windows Phones. The 928 is listed with better standby and usage time and the Icon has better standby time. These are also just fantasy numbers anyway measured under optimal conditions. This is the equivalent of buying a computer based upon Intel's performance claims. Real world has very little role in this equation. No one is going to know what the battery life is really like until they have used it, at which point it will probably be similar to every other phone in its class, give or take an hour. I also seriously doubt many people will buy this (or any) phone based upon carrier battery life claims. Quite frankly, more often than not people will simply buy what they like (or think is the most cool) and then come on to forums to complain about the battery later....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb