up to 75% longer battery life with WP over Android? :-o

Status
Not open for further replies.

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
You mean like the Moto E (current version: Android 4.4.4)?

Also please do not assume that newer OS's are less efficient. For example, bear in mind that Windows 8 is probably more efficient than Windows 7, which was definitely more efficient than Windows Vista.

It's not that newer OS's are less efficient. They, normally, have more features than the previous OS, which can use more of the battery, processor, etc... which can tax the hardware more than a previous OS.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this was said anywhere or not but I looked in to this a bit more. Someone pointed to the specs from HTC as showing that, yes, WP is a bit more efficient but not 75% more. It's about 10%.

The numbers used in the article are showing the 2G usage (talk time) for the Android version vs the 3G usage (talk time) for the WP. If you look at 3G vs 3G the numbers are not that huge.

If you go to GSM Arena you'll see the two different sets of numbers there for the Android version http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_(m8)-6074.php. The person who wrote this initial article was either A misleading people on purpose or B deploying clickbait.

I'm going with B. Do your research.

Last edited:

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to N_LaRue for putting some reality back into this discussion. We also shouldn't assume that the hardware is exactly the same in both cases. The same model of phone may go through several revisions to reduce costs, fix bugs, use components from different suppliers, etc. This is generally transparent to the user but can have an effect on power consumption, etc.

A good example is the famous HTC Desire, which swapped from an AMOLED display to an LCD for later models, because of supply problems. This meant that later units had different battery life (can't remember if better or worse) and didn't look exactly the same. Such changes are common but are normally only noticeable if you take a device apart.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to N_LaRue for putting some reality back into this discussion. We also shouldn't assume that the hardware is exactly the same in both cases. The same model of phone may go through several revisions to reduce costs, fix bugs, use components from different suppliers, etc. This is generally transparent to the user but can have an effect on power consumption, etc.

A good example is the famous HTC Desire, which swapped from an AMOLED display to an LCD for later models, because of supply problems. This meant that later units had different battery life (can't remember if better or worse) and didn't look exactly the same. Such changes are common but are normally only noticeable if you take a device apart.

We have our disagreements from time to time but in this case I'm agreeing with you completely.

Being in the electrical industry I had a hard time believing the article from the get go. Battery efficiency is reliant on several factors and I had a hard time with the idea that software alone would give a 75% increase. Yes one OS may be a slightly more optimized than the other but not that much. Android has come a long way whether people want to believe that or not. I was getting poor battery out of my WP and so have many others. Most of it was due to poor OS optimization and bad firmware. What does that say about WP?

The article was pure clickbait and people went for it wholeheartedly.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if this was said anywhere or not but I looked in to this a bit more. Someone pointed to the specs from HTC as showing that, yes, WP is a bit more efficient but not 75% more. It's about 10%.

The numbers used in the article are showing the 2G usage (talk time) for the Android version vs the 3G usage (talk time) for the WP. If you look at 3G vs 3G the numbers are not that huge.

If you go to GSM Arena you'll see the two different sets of numbers there for the Android version http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_(m8)-6074.php. The person who wrote this initial article was either A misleading people on purpose or B deploying clickbait.

I'm going with B. Do your research.

I was thinking that - something must be wrong with this 75% battery life.

Because
If that was the case then every WP phones should have excellent battery life if we take Android phones battery life in a/c.

Thanks! For clearing things.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Nokia spent on its technology what it could and has gotten better over time, speaking specifically about the Nokia 1520. One thing though, the HTC ONE M8 has an extraordinary battery for a smart phone. If the reports are true, the W8 should be much better. If Nokia is unable to match it, I know at least one person that probably won't buy another Nokia.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Nokia spent on its technology what it could and has gotten better over time, speaking specifically about the Nokia 1520. One thing though, the HTC ONE M8 has an extraordinary battery for a smart phone. If the reports are true, the W8 should be much better. If Nokia is unable to match it, I know at least one person that probably won't buy another Nokia.

The specs were posted on the prior page from the HTC website. The difference is a mere 10%, if correct.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Android does NOT use Java. It uses Dalvik. Anyway, WP uses the extremely similar .net CLR.

Does multi tasking make a difference in typical usage?

I disagree that WP runs more smoothly, try two comparable phones side by side in a shop. Android is generally quicker at performing useful tasks. Try opening the web browser for a dramatic demonstration. My suspicion is that the "WP is more efficient" really means "the home screen scrolled more smoothly until about 12 months ago".

Of course efficiency can be defined in many ways - speed, RAM usage, power consumption, flash, ...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

See "written in".

Though I honestly don't know much about it, if it's Java enough for Wikipedia it's Java enough for me.

The multitasking does invite opportunity for serious drain and generally will have a slightly higher energy cost.

"Android is generally quicker at useful tasks". That's... Vague. Anyhow stock android may have gotten better in the last year but generally OEM garbage rendered all but the highest end devices near useless. They might work in the store (would be seriously surprised if a store model ran at full efficiency WP IOS or android) but bring it home, install an app or two and watch the gears slow down.

In my experience, Android needs a lot of RAM and a heftier CPU to run well. Meanwhile, the Lumia 520 runs just as well as any Android device I've seen.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The specs were posted on the prior page from the HTC website. The difference is a mere 10%, if correct.
Mear 10% over the M8 and android? That's nothing to sneeze at N LaRUE. Considering the battery in my L920, I would NEVER consider going to work with it and not having a charger there waiting. With the android M8, I could come home even having used GPS (Waze), phone, all kinds of email, social media games and still come home with 70 percent battery having never charged it midway. With the W8, I'd have 80+

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Mear 10% over the M8 and android? That's nothing to sneeze at N LaRUE. Considering the battery in my L920, I would NEVER consider going to work with it and not having a charger there waiting. With the android M8, I could come home even having used GPS (Waze), phone, all kinds of email, social media games and still come home with 70 percent battery having never charged it midway. With the W8, I'd have 80+

10% equates to 2 hours. That's why I said mere when compared to Android. It's not a huge chunk in my eyes. I think a truer test will be when Android L comes out.

My L920 was dropping battery faster than anything at one point. It's not too bad now but I still don't trust it.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I think we have to wait and see GSMArena battery test before commenting.

According to Manufacturer(Nokia)
My Lumia 620 standby time is 330 hrs and music play 61 hrs .
But my experience is quite different from what manufacture said. (Actually it is very less even when it was on WP8)
Of course, it will be less of you are on dev preview!

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Lulz, the only way Android could be less efficient with battery life than the current iteration of Windows Phone would be if immediately dropped to 10% after a full charge. My battery life MIGHT be better after the most recent update, but my phone cant last anywhere near a whole day on a single charge.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Android (operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See "written in".

Though I honestly don't know much about it, if it's Java enough for Wikipedia it's Java enough for me.

Unfortunately few people on this forum seem to have the knowledge to understand this, although I'm glad to see that you admit it. Now read carefully and please can no one make this misunderstanding again.
- 'Java' is a programming language. Most Android apps, and some of the Android platform are written fully or partially in Java. Java programs are compiled to Java byte code for execution, on a Java virtual machine.

- A 'Java virtual machine' runs Java byte code. Android does *not* have one of these. This is the point Ordeith and I were debating earlier, although sadly she/he has now gone quiet.

- Android has a 'Dalvik virtual machine' (to be replaced in Android L by a new runtime called ART). Dalvik byte code is typically compiled from Java byte code, although could also be generated directly.

So, to repeat - Android has a Dalvik virtual machine.
A Dalvik virtual machine does not run Java byte code, so is not a Java virtual machine.
Android does not have a Java virtual machine.

And a couple of final points for you to think about:
- Microsoft's low end Asha phones do include a Java virtual machine. Mobile Java actually runs very well on low end hardware. If you have any smart cards in your pocket right now, they may also run Java.
- Windows Phone also uses a virtual machine, in this case the .net CLR. The CLR is actually pretty similar to the Java VM, although more advanced in some respects as it was developed ten years later. Performance tests of the Java VM and the CLR tend to show fairly similar performance in most cases.
- In principle, I believe WP apps could also be written in Java (at least partially), as it was a supported language for the CLR runtime used by WP - see J Sharp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. This would actually make the relationship between WP and Java, and Android and Java rather similar. Happy to be corrected on this point by someone more knowledgeable.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone is not any less demanding than Android. The battery life difference would be explained by how each operating system handles multitasking and background tasks.

Standby time doesn't need the system to handle multitasking. It only concerns background task management which WP does better than any other OS since WP7.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
No. Ios and androids apps keep running in the background whether you exit them or minimize them. WP doesn't, so it has overall better battery life.

The approach with multitasking is debatable because there is no perfect way to do it.

On Android you can allow apps to do things in the background, be it sending photos and videos through Whatsapp, uploading a YouTube video in the background or compressing a video.

Windows Phone has very few apps that can do anything in the background, this increases battery life however makes it tougher for users to do more than one task at a time.

Windows Phone also quickly suspends activities so as soon as you hold the back button to go to multitasking, if you go back to app you are using you'll be greeted with a "resuming" message, this also improves battery life however it also makes multitasking faster on Android.

So for battery life --> Windows Phone.

But for better and faster multitasking --> Android.

But take into account the fact that in Android L, Google has according to them around 30% to 40% more battery life, the HTC One M8 is getting Android L and maybe after that it beats the Windows Phone version in battery life.

You understand now, why I said it was debatable?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
IOS does the same thing WP does. Nothing runs in the background on IOS.

When Windows Phone 8 came out I read several articles about it being the only OS out there with "true multitasking".

After having used it however I found that it is neither true, nor fast as the one found on Android.

It suspends activities like iOS does.

But with Windows Phone 8.1 they did add background processes but I didn't see them working in any app, Torrex Pro claimed to have it but it never worked.

I use utorrent on my Android phone, it perfectly downloads everything in the background, yes it consumes battery but allows me to do much more.

I like Android's approach best.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
No one on this forum has ever been able to back up this claim with hard evidence. If you are going to claim that WP is more efficient in some way than Android, please provide something to support what you're saying.

LOL, you do realize that the very first chance to do so was just made available as of yesterday...so no one could back up the claim with hard evidence because the means to never existed, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss