up to 75% longer battery life with WP over Android? :-o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I tried the experiment with a lumia 520. While opening 3 apps in the background (FB, FB messenger, and WPCentral) they can be switch to any one of them instantly like how it is in your video. However after adding the fourth app (OneDrive) the resuming screen appears while switching apps. It is still fairly quick on a low end phone. So i tried closing an app and they can be switched quickly again.

I hope someone can try this with a lumia 530 and 630, and observe how will the multitasking perform on a phone with similar RAM but different, better processor. It'll certainly perform better, but lets see how many apps they can hold on without showing the resuming screen.

thats interesting, I wouldn't of expected it to become more common with more apps... I'm.. not really sure what the issue there is.. I don't think it can be lack of ram, it would just start closing your oldest app I believe, and it shouldn't be cpu, as none of the apps in the ram should be eating much resources.. Id love to see a 630 try this, that should determine weather its a cpu problem or a ram problem

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I tried the experiment with a lumia 520. While opening 3 apps in the background (FB, FB messenger, and WPCentral) they can be switch to any one of them instantly like how it is in your video. However after adding the fourth app (OneDrive) the resuming screen appears while switching apps. It is still fairly quick on a low end phone. So i tried closing an app and they can be switched quickly again.

I hope someone can try this with a lumia 530 and 630, and observe how will the multitasking perform on a phone with similar RAM but different, better processor. It'll certainly perform better, but lets see how many apps they can hold on without showing the resuming screen.

Just tried on a 625, only started seeing the resuming screen after the sixth app.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
When Windows Phone 8 came out I read several articles about it being the only OS out there with "true multitasking".

After having used it however I found that it is neither true, nor fast as the one found on Android.

It suspends activities like iOS does.

But with Windows Phone 8.1 they did add background processes but I didn't see them working in any app, Torrex Pro claimed to have it but it never worked.

I use utorrent on my Android phone, it perfectly downloads everything in the background, yes it consumes battery but allows me to do much more.

I like Android's approach best.

Don't know what you were reading, but not only is it obviously not 'true' multitasking WP7 had been out for long enough that no one was confusing it with WM6 anymore.

It isn't quite as simple as all that though. WP's hook since 7 has always been 'like iOS but with background agents'. Background agents (processes) are generally the part of the app that updates the live tile, but a creative developer can put them to other uses.

iOS has some background processes to handle push notifications and sync email- WP has this and also a background process for nearly every app in the store. You can see how that sounds better on paper but isn't really that exciting in practice :)

WP7 had the ability to download files in the background- and so does WP8.0. It just is terribly unrefined. There's no interface, there's no error when it fails, there's no completion notification and there's no way to check if it's still going. Also, it had hard limitations of like 200MB or something before it just stopped. No wonder it's not well known that this is possible- for most apps, why bother? WP8.1 doesn't seem to have improved this much, it just removed a few of the restrictions. GPS data can be logged in the background, audio recordings can continue in the background, and I guess they tweaked something about downloads. Haven't tried any downloads myself.

I'm entirely happy with 8.1- I think it needs continued polish in some areas and I think with each update should continue to lift restrictions as they have been, but 8.1 is the first time where I feel WP is entirely solid, and not just a great concept that could be better in the future.
That said the background downloads management is atrocious. I think they should just copy android here- display these background downloads in the action center. Makes the most sense from where I'm sitting.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The approach with multitasking is debatable because there is no perfect way to do it.

On Android you can allow apps to do things in the background, be it sending photos and videos through Whatsapp, uploading a YouTube video in the background or compressing a video.

Windows Phone has very few apps that can do anything in the background, this increases battery life however makes it tougher for users to do more than one task at a time.

Windows Phone also quickly suspends activities so as soon as you hold the back button to go to multitasking, if you go back to app you are using you'll be greeted with a "resuming" message, this also improves battery life however it also makes multitasking faster on Android.

So for battery life --> Windows Phone.

But for better and faster multitasking --> Android.

But take into account the fact that in Android L, Google has according to them around 30% to 40% more battery life, the HTC One M8 is getting Android L and maybe after that it beats the Windows Phone version in battery life.

You understand now, why I said it was debatable?

When Windows Phone 8 came out I read several articles about it being the only OS out there with "true multitasking".

After having used it however I found that it is neither true, nor fast as the one found on Android.

It suspends activities like iOS does.

But with Windows Phone 8.1 they did add background processes but I didn't see them working in any app, Torrex Pro claimed to have it but it never worked.

I use utorrent on my Android phone, it perfectly downloads everything in the background, yes it consumes battery but allows me to do much more.

I like Android's approach best.

Battery life = standby time.
Standby time = background process.
Standby time IS NOT related to multitasking.

I think my earlier post was more complex, I have simplified it here. So no matter what you've wrote up there about "multitasking" it is irrelevant to the concerned thread of battery life comparison on standby time. You can only compare 2 OS with identical hardware if they are on standby. As soon as you start using them, there are hundreds of variables.

Background tasks are ONLY relevant when phone works in background while on standby. We are talking about, phone unplugged, sitting on a table, untouched, screen locked till it drains out of juice.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

I think my earlier post was more complex, I have simplified it here. So no matter what you've wrote up there about "multitasking" it is irrelevant to the concerned thread of battery life comparison on standby time. You can only compare 2 OS with identical hardware if they are on standby. As soon as you start using them, there are hundreds of variables.

Background tasks are ONLY relevant when phone works in background while on standby. We are talking about, phone unplugged, sitting on a table, untouched, screen locked till it drains out of juice.

Why are you arbitrarily restricting the scope? If you can calculate prime numbers in one app while watching a movie in another, that's definitely a feature of the OS and it's definitely going to drain the battery faster. That exact example is just for demonstrating my point- but with unrestrained background processes many apps can easily be chewing through the battery without the average user knowing what's happening. This is definitely a product of the multitasking system.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
LOL, you do realize that the very first chance to do so was just made available as of yesterday...so no one could back up the claim with hard evidence because the means to never existed, right?

LOL, you do realise that people here have been making claims about WP's alleged efficiency for years, based as you point out on no evidence, right?

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site

Well that explains why i want to run back to android so fast other than the app problem. MY 920 does not run like that i get allot of resuming and after that refreshing and loading weather its wifi or 4G. My appps also stay on the spash screen longer ..... than in that video :unhappysweat: .... meh ill still wait and see what Windows Phone 9 brings i want QHD resolution and faster performance still + better stock apps.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
what do you mean it doesnt do much? It does basically everything an android can minus small features, only thing it cant do is run 10 apps at the same time, and its not that the WP CANT, it can, its got fully functional code to run multiple apps, its just that they are locked API's given only to partners.

well on my devices it does not do much ..... maybe i need to flash it over idk

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Did it not occur to you that the apps you've mentioned are made by Microsoft? Microsoft can bend the rules for themselves.

Internet Explorer and OneDrive can also upload/download stuff in the background, so can a few other apps that have "special rights".

View attachment 77865

But the majority of applications can't do much in the background and you have to have the app open to do anything, you also mostly have to keep the screen unlocked.

While yes this improves battery life it makes using a smartphone way more stressful.

IMO Android has very fluid multitasking, especially after the Android 4.4 update, just one tap and you are in your multitasking window and you can quickly switch between apps, but on Windows Phone even if you resume your latest app is shows you the "resuming" message.

That did occur to me but the other post implied it wasn't possible at all. So I was just pointing out that it IS possible :) Kind of how Live Tiles don't update as often as they can to truly be "live" for the sake of battery life. Right?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
+620 I rarely get the resuming thing, too. I use a class 10 16 Gb SD card for apps, and have seen resuming very very very rarely.

I too had a Lumia 520, very identical hardware and I used to store my apps on the internal storage. I did often see the "resuming" screen.

Maybe I should've moved my apps to my Class 10 SD Card.

Very nice video! But you didn't have to open the apps in the videos, I just wanted to see how good it performed in multitasking, but nice video.

I'm making my video in a little while.

I know what you meant to say, my posts have relevance here.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
+620 I rarely get the resuming thing, too. I use a class 10 16 Gb SD card for apps, and have seen resuming very very very rarely.

I've seen you bash Android for being laggy and crashy many times here on this forum, the video below may also benefit you and your doubts about Android.

Here's my video: http://youtu.be/yUgimOEFAeI

The Facebook IMO starts a bit slow but that's due to the bad developers of the app. -.-

Oh and there wasn't a Converge app on Android or a Calculator app similar to yours, so I used different apps that did the same thing.

But I'm really impressed by Windows Phone multitasking as well.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I've seen you bash Android for being laggy and crashy many times here on this forum, the video below may also benefit you and your doubts about Android.

The Facebook IMO starts a bit slow but that's due to the bad developers of the app. -.-

Oh and there wasn't a Converge app on Android or a Calculator app similar to yours, so I used different apps that did the same thing.

I don't know.
May be it's just me but Android look faster and fluid than WP.

I have also Lumia 620.Show rresuming every often if I shift between apps.

But I am using DP.
Waiting for cyan then I'll also post a video.

And for WP users who love to see resuming
Just open Xbox music and any other app(lets go with wpcentral).
And shift between them.

And their you have it your beloved resuming screen

Last edited:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't know.
May be it's just me but Android look faster and fluid than WP.

I have also Lumia 620.Show rresuming every often if I shift between apps.

But I am DP.
Waiting for cyan then I'll also post a video.

And for WP users who love to see resuming
Just open Xbox music and any other app(lets go with wpcentral).
And shift between them.

And their you have it your beloved resuming screen

1408728751369.jpg

By going to the developer options of my device, I could've made multitasking even faster by enabling faster animations.

But it didn't seem fair, so I didn't do it.

I used to see "resuming" a lot on my 520 as well, maybe I the apps I used we're very processor intensive.

SmartphoneNerd

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
I believe it...WP has better battery management, but the android version is no slouch...I get a day out of mine with heavy use.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I believe it...WP has better battery management, but the android version is no slouch...I get a day out of mine with heavy use.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Due to suspension of background tasks, both Windows Phone and iOS have very amazing standby times. But a lot of Windows Phone and most iOS devices have average battery life if you start using the device.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

Yeah right, and I've seen you bash WP for being rubbish in many times in this forum.... If you are so fond of Android, why not go to Android central? :p

My experience with Android ( Samsung galaxy Y,s4 and a Micromax canvas HD) has not been good, and sub par as compared to WP. Not expected from flagship Android phones. No updates,no moving apps to SD, no official file manager, lag due to OEM skin,etc.

I always state true facts and reasonable arguments and observations instead of "bashing" anything as you call it.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Yeah right, and I've seen you bash WP for being rubbish in many times in this forum.... If you are so fond of Android, why not go to Android central? :p

My experience with Android ( Samsung galaxy Y,s4 and a Micromax canvas HD) has not been good, and sub par as compared to WP. Not expected from flagship Android phones. No updates,no moving apps to SD, no official file manager, lag due to OEM skin,etc.

I always state true facts and reasonable arguments and observations instead of "bashing" anything as you call it.

I've not called Windows Phone rubbish. It's actually one of my favorite operating systems.

Samsung phones are what disgrace Android because of them everyone starts to think Android is laggy.

I like this community more than Android Central. But I don't favor one operating system over the other, I state the benefits of each.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I too had a Lumia 520, very identical hardware and I used to store my apps on the internal storage. I did often see the "resuming" screen.

Maybe I should've moved my apps to my Class 10 SD Card.

Very nice video! But you didn't have to open the apps in the videos, I just wanted to see how good it performed in multitasking, but nice video.

I'm making my video in a little while.

Yea I know I didnt, but I wanted to make it as "fakeproof" as possible, just for the sake of avoiding those who will pull at strings

Also, to whoever said my phone seems more sluggish than salmanahmad's phone, keep in mind, he has a nexus 5 iirc and I have a lumia 925, thats a pretty massive spec difference, so I'd hope his looked more responsive lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99